Cuts that always bleed

Childhood friends

 

 

A/N: Welcome back! A new chapter! I have most of the next chapter ready as well, so it should be ready in a week, until then, enjoy! :D 


 

After knowing the reason for Kris’ withdrawal, Tao couldn’t face him. Mostly because he didn’t know what to do about it, what to feel. He didn’t know how to deal with it, reflecting upon the past few days, the last month.

Kris had promised him the world, almost promised and declared his loyalty to him, and Tao had accepted it.

A mistake.

Then Kris had begun to excuse himself, leaving Tao and Johnny alone, and then Tao had pushed him away, and neither had sought out the other and now here they are. Tao facing the hard reality once again.

At lunch, he’d sit with them, but once again, not by Kris’ side, but by Baekhyun and Johnny. After school, he’d no longer study at the library with Doyeon in fear of Kris finding him, as Kris had been seeking him out. Tao didn’t spare him a glance though. 

He ignored Kris whenever he met him in the hallway, ignored him when Kris would greet him, and moreover when he’d invite him to study together. 

"I’m sorry, I wanna study alone, maybe next time” Tao would answer in a cold tone and leave. Kris understood why he acted this way, but that didn’t mean it didn’t hurt, but he also knew it was his own fault. 

 

That was the reason why he was now, a bit too late, desperately trying to reach out to Tao and fix it all. Which was impossible. 

Still, he hoped he could minimize the casualties and somehow mend their bond.

It was about to be too late though, and he knew this, he could feel it. It was in the way Tao was cold towards him, the way Johnny was as well. 

He also knew it by the way life was pulling them apart. 

He knew he had to stay on his path, and Tao on his, yet, as he saw him walk away from him, he couldn’t stop himself from begging the universe.

Can’t he be greedy just one last time?

 

Johnny’s reaction to it was much worse than Tao’s. 

The day after they found out about Kris’ girlfriend, Johnny hadn’t wasted a moment to corner him. 

The showdown which Kris had awaited, was finally here.

 

"Are you ing mad?!” Johnny yelled at him and pushed him with all his strength. He hit the wall with a loud thud. All air left his lungs, and he began to slide down the wall. Johnny grabbed a hold of him though and kept him pushed up against the wall. 

"Have you actually gone mad?!” he yelled again. Kris wanted to say something, defend himself, but standing breathless, he wasn’t able to. He didn’t even know what to say. 

Johnny knew. Johnny knew what was going on, and still, he stood against him.  

"I thought, I thought you were real” he spoke in a quieter voice, but the anger was clear. 

"I thought you meant your words, so what the is this?” He snapped and slammed Kris against the wall again. His eyes were burning into Kris, searching for a reason, and Kris had it… somewhat. 

"You’re a liar, and nothing but empty promises” 

It was a wave of wet anger that sprung from Johnny now. His eyes were glassy, and Kris had never thought there’d be a day where Johnny would cry because of him, “What about what you told me?! Was that all a lie?!” He cried out, and Kris wanted to argue but he was too exhausted.  

"Did you leave all those times because of her?!” 

"NO!” he finally managed to cry out and pushed Johnny away. He didn’t want him to think that low of him. That wasn’t the reason, it wasn’t the only reason. 

"Then why?” 

"You know why”

Johnny glared at him, but let him go nonetheless.

 

 

Tao sat in his room in silence, trying to study, but something was missing. The silence was unbearable, but then again, he was the one who had decided to cut his friends out. He was the one who’d leave before anyone else, just to go home and study. 

At least his father was satisfied with seeing his son being so studious. Tao only felt a lump in his throat whenever his father would comment on it. It didn’t help that the Christmas party, or whatever, at his father’s company, was coming up, neither the winter ball at his school. 

He had considered skipping the ball, but he hadn’t discussed it with the others yet. He should probably ask Johnny about it…

He’d probably know what to do.

 

 

Johnny was at his apartment, still angry, so goddamn angry. Why he ever supported Kris, he couldn’t answer. 

He was nothing but two-faced! 

He should never have let Kris get close to Tao. He should’ve searched for him at the Halloween party! Never have given Kris a chance to explain himself. He should have grabbed Tao back when he had a chance, he shouldn’t have backed out!

Johnny sat down on his bed with a loud sigh. 

Should've taken Tao that night… 

Maybe he could have become what Sehun was for Tao. If he had confessed to him back then, maybe it would all be different. 

He lied down and stared at the ceiling. Kris didn’t deserve Tao, Kris didn’t deserve Tao’s forgiveness. 

Johnny’s phone buzzed, and he turned to see who it was. Ten. 

They had talked about meeting up sometime soon, as the winter break was near. Johnny thought it’d be great, considering the last time it was the two of them, it was the time when Ten had picked him from the hospital.

Most of their texting consisted of Johnny updating Ten on the situation there and Ten talking about his life at uni.

He was happy he had someone to talk to where it wasn’t all bad stuff happening, and a way to forget some of the things going on.

Just Ten texting that he might be going home to his family in Thailand for Christmas and that missed them, made Johnny feel better. Just having someone else who understood the homesickness he felt living overseas alone. 

 

 

A few days later, he was making his way to his apartment, having parted with Tao earlier that day. He hoped he was alright after knowing the truth. He had hoped Tao would come to him and cry into his arms, but he hadn’t. 

Instead, Tao had pretended to be strong, and as cold as the winter. Johnny’s hands clenched into fists again, and anger began to spread through his body, just thinking about who had caused Tao this much pain, though never admitting he might’ve been a part of it. 

It wasn’t his fault, but then again, he had trusted Kris, and let him get close to Tao. 

He walked through the crowded streets, and when he was passing the Townsquare he saw a familiar person sit by the fountain, lost and sad.

He began making his way towards them and was about to call out their name when someone else came into vision, also having spotted the one by the fountain. 

Johnny was lost. He didn’t know what to do. To stay back, and let the other win, or call out to them himself? 

Somehow, he felt he shouldn’t win. It wasn’t Johnny’s fight anymore.

He had already lost, but nonetheless, he hurried his way towards Sehun and grabbed him before he could move closer to Tao. Sehun stared at him in a mix of shock and confusion.

"Please don’t go to him this time. You’ve won already” 

"You…” Sehun voiced, and the confusion quickly wore off once Sehun understood what Johnny had meant.

 

"What if I say no?” 

 

 

Tao left the school with a heavy sigh, and the cold air bit into his face. 

It had grown even colder these days, and Tao didn’t want the cold snow to consume the world already, and it was a relief it hadn’t fallen yet. 

He let out a sigh and looked at the ground, maybe it’s because he didn’t want to move on, maybe that’s why. 

Whenever he looked at the colored lights that were put up around town though, on every lamppost and every shop, he saw hope.

It was just the beginning of December, and he didn’t want to go home yet. He would only go home to study anyway, and frankly, he wanted to run away. Whether it was because of his future or his present, he didn’t know. It was probably both. 

He walked towards the Townsquare, where the fountain stood lit up in the middle. The fountain’s pool was empty of water, but the lights still made it beautiful. People were flocking the square, out to buy presents, going on dates, and a wave of loneliness suddenly rolled over Tao. 

Seeing everyone so happy and peaceful, had him feel out of place. Was he the only one who was not happy? Not joyful? 

How could anyone be happy in this season where the same 5 songs played over and over, everywhere you went? The season where it’s cold and dark?

He sat down on the fountain ledge and let out a sigh.

Why did people like winter? It’d be fine if there was snow, but there wasn’t any. 

Maybe it was by pure chance that he met Sehun by the fountain, maybe it wasn’t. Tao didn’t care, because the moment Sehun laid a hand on his shoulder and asked him if he was okay, Tao fell into his arms and cried into his shoulder. His hands gripped Sehun’s jacket so tight and Sehun began to comfort him as he always would.  

He ended up staying with Sehun that night. 

He told him everything as always, and Sehun was right there to catch him.

Sehun realized, he might not be the only one who needed to be held during the cold season.

 

 

Johnny walked back to his apartment defeated. He hated that he had willingly given up now. He’d no longer fight for Tao, nor pursue the long crush he had, yet he’d still help him get over Kris, even if that meant being Sehun’s silent wingman. 

He stepped onto his balcony, feeling his phone vibrate in his hand. 

It was from Ten. He looked out on the city where Tao and Sehun were currently together. He didn’t want to think about it, but his mind still wandered there. His phone buzzed again, and even though he wasn’t in the mood to talk, he still felt a need to reply.

 

Ten

Are you going back to Chicago for Christmas? 

Let me know so we can figure out when we should hang out 

Johnny

I'm leaving around the 15th-18th I think, not sure yet 

Wbu? 

 

Ten

Around that time as well, are you coming back for the New year? 

Johnny

Yeah, are you? 

 

Ten

Yeah, coming back the 28th 

Johnny 

Hey, if you’re leaving on the 18th, wanna meet up on the 15th? 

 

Ten

Sure

But if you’re leaving on the 18th as well, we can go to the airport together as well? 

Johnny

Sure, why not


 

"What are you gonna do about the ball?” Tao asked Johnny as they met up in the hallway. He shrugged, as they began to move towards the canteen “I’m not sure yet” he let out and turned to Tao “Why?”.

"I don’t know if I’ll go,” Tao admitted, and Johnny’s heart clenched “Is it because of…” he trailed off, hoping Tao would give him an answer but he didn’t “If that’s the only reason why you should go”  

"I-” Tao tried to argue, but the words wouldn’t leave his mouth, and Johnny stopped walking and leaned against the wall. 

"It’s not…” Tao tried again, but Johnny didn’t buy it. It was always Kris, always him who had the power over Tao, and it was time for it to stop. 

Tao had to let go of him, and fight against his heart because it hurt. It hurt him so deeply, and it hurt everyone around him as well. 

"You know it is” Johnny softly muttered and stepped closer to Tao. "The ball is a one-time thing. It won’t happen again, and I won’t stand back and watch you pass by, what could be an amazing night just because of one person” 

It warmed up Tao’s heart to hear. It hurt, but was comforting as well. Bittersweet? 

"I’ll go if you go” he replied, and Johnny gave him a soft smile “Then, you’re going” he spoke “Come, let’s go get lunch” 

"Yeah” 

"But are we going together?” Tao asked, and Johnny was obviously caught off guard as he almost tripped over nothing “Uh, I don’t know?” 

"You don’t know?” 

"We-well no, what do you mean go together? Of course, we’ll be together at the ball-” He stammered as they got their food. He felt like a fool but it made Tao smile, so it was alright. He’d make a fool out of himself every day if that’s what made Tao smile. 

He was about to continue when a voice interrupted him.  

"Johnny” 

Both turned to see Irene, who they hadn’t seen since Lucas’ first party, stand with a cold face. It was quite scary, and Johnny wondered what he had done to get on her bad side.  “What?” he asked, glancing at Tao, who glanced back at him.

"I need you to do a favor for me” she spoke, and averted Johnny’s eyes for a moment “Can we talk?” she urged, and Johnny glanced at Tao who gestured for him to do so. 

"Sure” Johnny answered and walked out of the canteen, leaving Tao alone. 

 

"Hey Tao” a voice called out and he turned to see Doyeon walk up to him “Hey” he greeted “What’s up?” 

"Wanna have lunch together?” she asked, and he glanced towards the team’s table with a sigh, but seeing the small nod from Baekhyun he turned to Doyeon with a “Sure,” 

"Do you know what you’re going to do with the ball yet?” she asked, and Tao wasn’t sure what to answer “Uh” 

"Hey” Johnny’s voice sounded as he sat down beside Tao “What are you talking about?” 

"The winter ball” Doyeon smiled 

"What are you doing about the ball? Do you have a date?” She asked Johnny, and Tao looked at him in anticipation. 

"Irene just asked me actually” 

"So you’re going with Irene?” 

Johnny scratched his neck and was rather hesitant in his reply “I suppose so” Tao didn’t look neither sad nor relieved, so Johnny didn’t know what to gather from that. 

"I didn’t know you were close” Doyeon commented “Neither did I” Tao let out, and changed his focus to his food. 

"I’ll explain it later” Johnny muttered to Tao who nodded in response. 

 

 

Mark watched as his friends left the classroom, all smiling and laughing, while he stayed back. Well most of them did, but Mark noticed how Hyuck hesitated and he took it as an opportunity to talk to him. 

"Hyuck” he let out softly and got up from his seat. His friend turned to face him, “Yes?” he let out, and Mark let out a breath in relief as, despite the cold expression on his face, Hyuck’s voice wasn’t. It had hesitation but also the lingering feeling of a second chance. 

"I-” Mark started out, but Hyuck interrupted him.

"If you’re gonna say sorry, I’m leaving” and Mark shut up. “Was that all you had in mind?” Hyuck voiced with crossed arms. 

"I didn’t even know you’d let me talk to you” Mark confessed and looked onto the floor “So now I don’t know what to say” 

Hyuck let out a sigh, and it caused Mark to blurt out the first thing that came to his mind 

"I meant everything I said that night” 

Hyuck was about to leave, but Mark grabbed his wrist. 

"Please don’t run away from me. Please let me finish” he pleaded “Why are you so afraid of listening to me-” 

"I’m not!” Hyuck yelled at him “I’m not scared!” 

It was a lie, he was scared. He was scared of confronting Mark because Mark was straight! And he had slept with him and obviously confused, and soon he’d realize it wasn’t love he felt towards Hyuck.

"You’re lying” Mark commented, and Hyuck averted his gaze. “And I don’t know why” Mark continued. “Is it because you don’t believe me or is it because we’re friends? I-” 

"It’s because you’re straight, Mark!” 

 

 

Taeyong and Jaehyun were walking down the hallway, small-talking as they did. 

It’s only been a few days since they began to eat together but they’ve already gotten closer. Taeyong could still sense Jaehyun was hiding something but he wasn’t sure what. The phone call still lingered in the back of his head. What Jaehyun had said, confused him, and he couldn’t put his finger on what caused the red flag in his head. 

As they passed a classroom, a younger student almost ran into them. 

Jeno. Taeyong realized.

He had run out of the classroom together with his friend, but when he had rounded the door, he ended up standing face to face with them. 

They stared at each other in shock for a moment, before Jeno let out a “Taeyong-hyung” with a nod, but then looked down in what seemed like shame and muttered a distant “Jaehyun-hyung” in acknowledgment, moving on without another word. 

Jaehyun seemingly looked unfazed as he only gave an “Mhm” in response, and even if he wouldn’t admit it, Taeyong saw the way his eyes lingered for a moment too long on Jeno for him to be indifferent. 

He didn’t ask though, only wondered about the look Jeno’s friend, who Taeyong recognized as Jaemin, shot them as he grabbed Jeno and pulled him with him down the hallway.

"Did you know Jeno was Doyoung’s brother?” Taeyong let out as they continued their way down the hallway. Jaehyun was silent for a while, and there was an unreadable expression on his face and a disturbing look in his eyes.  

"No” he answered "No I did not" 

 

 

"So what’s with Irene?” Tao asked as Johnny and he made their way outside. Johnny let out a sigh “She asked me because she needed a cover” 

"Didn’t know you were that close” 

Again Johnny let out a sigh and stopped walking “We’re not. She just believed I was the most trustworthy guy” Tao looked away from him for a moment “So, we’re not going together?” he asked in a soft voice. It was silent as Johnny figured out what to answer “We can still go together, Irene is just with us as well” he answered and gave Tao a small smile “Okay, see you tomorrow then” 

"Yeah, see you”  

Tao watched Johnny leave, before walking the other way. 

 

"Hey Tao” a voice from behind sounded. 

"Doyeon” he greeted as she walked towards him “So, Johnny’s going with Irene?” 

Tao let out a sigh and nodded.

 

 "Do you wanna go with me then? To the ball?”

 


"Why didn't you tell me? Why did you hide this from me?" 

"How do you know?" 

"Taeyong" 

"Of course" 

"Is this why you've been after me? To mess it up between us?"

"You mean, saving Taeyong from you? Yes, yes it was"