House of cards

Childhood friends

A/N: Seriously. It takes way too long for me to finish writing a chapter omg. I need to work on that, anyway enjoy our Tao and Johnny UWU


Jaehyun had been avoiding Taeyong during the ball, not wanting to be fooled again. Of course, it hurt to be away from him, but he didn’t want to be played. At some point during the ball, he found Doyoung and dragged him away to confront him about Taeyong.

He dragged him down the hallway and pushed him against the lockers. 

"What do you know about Taeyong?”

Just like a few days ago, he slammed his hand onto the locker by Doyoung’s head.

"What do you mean?” the latter calmly asked as he stared at Jaehyun. 

"You called him a playboy” 

"I did, didn’t I” a smirk made its way onto his face as if he was proud of his words. Jaehyun didn’t care much and continued “It’s Ten right?” to which Doyoung’s smirk disappeared “What?” he let out, but it was as if Jaehyun didn’t hear him and went with his own conclusion

"I knew it” he spoke and leaned away from Doyoung “I’m being played”. Doyoung finally found his words again and answered “That’s too bad” with an unfazed voice “I didn’t know about that” he coldly admitted.

"Then why?” 

"A bet” 

"What?” 

"A bet to see if he could make you fall for him” 

"Are you serious? You’re telling me the truth?” 

"I am. It was a bet” 

Doyoung looked over Jaehyun’s shoulder and noticed Taeyong in the distance, looking around in the hallway, and so Doyoung pressed his lips onto Jaehyun’s. The latter’s gut reaction was to kiss back and put his hand behind Doyoung’s neck to deepen the kiss as Doyoung put his hands on Jaehyun’s neck as well. Doyoung opened his eyes and locked eyes with Taeyong who ran away with a horrified and heartbroken look on his face.

Jaehyun awakened from his lust clouded mind and softly pants as he leaned over Doyoung 

"You don’t like me. Why did you do that?” 

"Did you not want me to? Wasn’t it enjoyable?” Jaehyun didn’t answer but let his eyes fall on his lips shortly. 

"Is this your revenge?” 

"Yes, thank you. He deserves better anyway” Doyoung got out of Jaehyun’s hold while the latter was stunned

"What?” 

Doyoung didn’t answer and changed the subject instead 

"Once upon a time, a boy loved his senior, and the senior accepted his feelings” he started out. The longer version of the story which he had told Taeyong. Jaehyun stood silent, as he listened to Doyoung’s words “What the boy didn’t know was that his senior was a playboy” Doyoung stepped close to close to Jaehyun again “He played with the boy’s heart over and over...” Jaehyun didn’t look at Doyoung anymore, refusing to believe what Doyoung was saying. It wasn’t him. It wasn’t Jaehyun he was talking about “...Cheated over and over again, until the time where the boy found out” 

Doyoung was close to Jaehyun who stood with a panicked expression on his face. He should’ve known, he should’ve seen this coming when he found out he was Jeno’s brother.

"The boy felt like a fool. He felt like an idiot, and his heart hurt so bad he didn’t ever want to love again. That’s what he told his brother as he cried into his shoulder. That day the brother decided to avenge him” He cornered Jaehyun, who was in a mix of anger, sorrow, and regret. He should’ve seen it coming. He really should’ve seen it coming “Maybe the boy has now finally moved on and forgiven the playboy, but his brother has not” Doyoung moved away from Jaehyun again with a grin, a cold and completely evil.

"Taeyong didn’t play with you, but you, you just played with him” 

 

Kris saw Johnny and Tao walk towards the exit while he was dancing with his girlfriend. Even though that was the girl he supposedly loved, his eyes didn’t leave Tao. He didn’t like how they walked with euphoric steps, laughing together. He didn’t want that to happen.

His girlfriend noticed his longing eyes “Kris, what’s wrong?” 

"What?” he answered as he finally looked at her “What’s up with you?” Kris’ eyes were already back on the spot where Tao and Johnny had disappeared. “Nothing” he replied absently, but his hands were gently putting space between them. 

His heart beat faster as he pulled away from her. Her worries were almost inaudible, had he gone into his own bubble. His beating heart sending fear throughout his body and sprouting anxious “What if’s” in his head had him pacing out of the hall, almost running, with his girlfriend following him and calling his name.

He got to the doors, and opened them slightly and was met with defeat 

"I love you” Johnny’s voice sounded. He was too late. He closed the doors quietly again 

"Kris!” his girlfriend’s voice cut through.

He turned around and he knew he looked distraught. 

"Don’t say nothing is wrong” she spoke, and Kris noticed the broken look in her eyes “You obviously don’t like me”. He looked away from her, having been caught “I’m here just for you to deny your true feelings right?” 

He didn’t say anything as his heart stopped beating “So it is so?” her broken voice let out. Tears began to stream down her cheeks, and Kris’ heart broke. He knew what he has done. He knew from the beginning what he was doing “Don’t do this again Kris” 

"Accept your feelings, even if they’re towards Tao” 


 

Johnny had seen Tao sit by the fountain. He had also seen Sehun.

He had been unsure of what to do. 

Somehow, he felt he shouldn’t win. It wasn’t Johnny’s fight anymore.

He had already lost, but nonetheless, he hurried his way towards Sehun and grabbed him before he could move closer to Tao. Sehun stared at him in a mix of shock and confusion.

"Please don’t go to him this time. You’ve won already” 

"You…” Sehun voiced, and the confusion quickly wore off once Sehun understood what Johnny had meant.

 

"Kris is no longer…?” he trailed off, and Johnny shook his head.

"He really ed up this time, I doubt he can,” Johnny explained. Sehun was silent for a moment “and you? What about you?” he voiced. Johnny turned his eyes away from Sehun who saw the defeated look in his eyes. 

"I know you’re the one in his heart, all I can do is admit that it’s too late for me” he explained 

"Played the good friend?” Sehun asked, yet there was a hint of respect in his voice and eyes.

Johnny’s defeated expression only turned worse as he smiled a sincere smile. “Like a perfect second lead, and all I ask of you is for it to be me just one time”
Sehun was silent for a moment again “You’re desperate” 

"I am” Johnny admitted, there was no reason not to.

"How long?” 

"Over a year”

Silence again as Sehun thought it over. Johnny finally let go of Sehun 

"What if I say no?” Sehun’s voice sounded, and maybe Johnny’s heart broke a bit more. Perhaps the last bit of hope had begun to disappear. 

"You’ve already won” he bargained, hoping that Sehun would understand that even if Johnny was able to have something with Tao, it’d never be sincere “I know you’re the one in his heart” 

Tears threatened to fall, and guilt slowly began to eat Sehun up.

"I’ve been trying to make him move on from Kris, unintentionally pushing him towards you” Johnny further bargained “I can’t win”

Sehun looked away from Johnny

"What will happen if I say no?” 

Johnny was silent for a moment, and then grabbed Sehun once again

"If you say yes, I’ll try only one time, and then I’ll back off. If you say no, I’ll keep trying”  

"I’ll let you get your closure, after that you won’t?” Sehun questioned unsure whether or not he should believe Johnny, but the broken look in his eyes was raw honesty

"I won’t. I’m only the second lead after all” the broken smile spoke, and Sehun agreed.

"Okay, I’ll let you, but not today” 


 

"I love you” 

This was Johnny’s last shot. This was the last time he’d ever chase after Tao, so the plan, it better go smoothly

Either way, he’ll end up hurt, won’t he? 

Tao turned to Johnny with a shocked expression and panic immediately overcame Johnny, but he sat still. 

"I love you too Johnny, you’re my friend” 

"That’s not what I meant” Johnny let out. He looked Tao deeply into his eyes, and it took all of his strength to not look away. 

"I love you” he spoke more sternly, and Tao froze with a shocked expression on his face. Johnny turned his face away from him and began to fidget with his fingers. 

"I love you” he muttered again, unable to hold in his feelings anymore. 

It was as if a weight had finally been lifted, and now that it was finally out, there was no reason to feel ashamed. Tao didn’t say anything and Johnny still couldn’t face him. His mood faltered as Tao kept silent.

"I'm... I'm sorry Tao. I love you" he muttered again, without shame but with guilt, and slowly he began to turn towards Tao again.

Tao didn’t know what to do or what to feel as his friend poured out his feelings. He wanted to be happy, and he was. He was flattered, but that didn’t prove he was happy.

Somehow he was saddened. Would it ruin their friendship? 

"I-” he started out but Johnny interrupted him "I'm sorry I didn’t tell you earlier, but I knew you loved Kris, and I..” he paused for a moment “...didn’t know what to do" 

Tao went silent again, he didn’t know what to answer him 

"Ho-how long?" he asked in a shaking voice. Was this why Johnny was hesitant about his uality? 

"Beginning of second year” He turned his head down “I lied to you for over a year” 

It was like a replay of the conversation they had in Johnny’s apartment. 

 "I lied….”  

"But just being by your side like this"

There was a smile on his face, and even though it seemed sincere, there was hurt in it 

"Is alright” 

"Johnny, I'm sorry" Tao let out, finally understanding he had been hurting his friend for so long. Johnny’s smile changed a bit. His lip trembled but he kept the smile on his face.

"Don't be,” he spoke “it's not your fault. I’m just happy I got it out" He looked into Tao's eyes, looking away right after. 

They sat in silence before Tao lifted his hand to Johnny's cheek. He flinched at the sudden contact and stared at him in confusion “Thank you” Tao spoke, and Johnny gave him a sincere smile and placed his hand on Tao’s

“No, thank you for letting me be your friend” he replied and closed his eyes, melting into Tao’s hand “To be honest I regret telling you” he suddenly admitted “What?” 

"I should’ve done it sooner so I could have taken you away” He confessed and stared directly at Tao “I’ll always be here for you Tao” 

Perhaps a tear fell from Tao’s eye, and perhaps his heart broke and healed in an instant as he was shown another option to leave Kris behind.

"Thank you” he spoke again and let his hand caress Johnny’s cheek as it was held tightly in Johnny’s. It was soothing.

The two hadn’t realized they had moved closer to each other, now sitting as close as possible.

"No need to thank me Tao” Johnny spoke again with a soft smile, and the two of them sat in silence just like that, and then it was as though the universe pulled them even closer.

Tao’s hand stopped caressing Johnny’s cheek and he began to lean in. It seemed right and Johnny seemed to agree as he locked his eyes onto Tao’s lips. Maybe they could’ve become something, maybe he could’ve made Tao move on from Kris, but that was Sehun’s duty now. Then he leaned in as well. 

 

"Hey, guys!" 

The outburst caused the two to put distance between them in a second. Their lips hadn't even touched before they were interrupted, and neither knew what to feel about that. Tao didn’t look at the speaker but greeted him nonetheless

"Hey Kris" 

The said person sat down between Johnny and Tao, and Tao stole a glance at Johnny to see him looking away. His plan had failed.

"Why are you out here?" Kris asked. 

Johnny's eyes fell on Tao’s and seemed to reflect "It happens", and Tao’s heart sank into a stir of emotions. Kris ignored the stares between the two, or at least he tried to. 

"We needed some air," Tao answered when enough time had passed in silence. He was still looking at Johnny, who was looking away

"Where's your date though?" he asked and finally looked at Kris. The other let out a sigh before he gave a vague answer "Somewhere inside” and then he immediately changed the subject “You know I was worried about you two, you suddenly disappeared" he then glanced at them, and Tao turned away from his eyes. It was tense, but all 3 pretended it wasn’t.

"Well it's getting late anyway, maybe we should head home" Kris voiced, looking at the night sky. 

"I suppose so” Tao muttered and looked at Johnny again, who turned to him as well. 

The three began to make their way back and when Johnny had to part ways he awkwardly stopped up “I’m going this way” he spoke and rubbed his neck. Kris gave a nod and an “Okay, see you” and was ready to leave, but Tao didn’t follow him, and softly let out “I’m going with Johnny” the mentioned one’s head shot up with wide eyes, and Kris stood taken aback as well “Okay” He then muttered and went on alone, seemingly unaffected. 

Johnny was still silently staring at Tao who turned away from it “Let’s go” he let out and began his way to Johnny’s apartment. 

When they got inside and got rid of their coats, Tao went straight for the balcony. 

"Why did you come with me?” Johnny cautiously asked, standing beside him. He had an idea why but he didn't want to get his hopes up.

"I…” Tao trailed off, not having a clear answer. He wasn’t exactly sure why he went with Johnny, but something pulled him there.

"’m not sure,” he answered. Somehow he didn’t dare mention what might have pulled him there, but neither did Johnny. They stood in silence for a while, just staring at the city below “About earlier-” 

"-I’m sorry” Tao interrupted

“What do you mean?” 

"I don’t want you to think I was using you” 

"You weren’t. I like you, love you. I want you to kiss me” Johnny confessed, “Really, I’m the one using you don’t you think?” 

"Let’s just agree to disagree,” Tao lightly grinned. Johnny looked away with a grin before leaning in close to Tao “I still want you to kiss me” 

"I still want to continue where we left off, and see what would happen” he continued, surely Johnny had dared to voice what Tao had not as he didn’t want to harm their friendship, but just like Johnny, he wanted to see what would happen, so he leaned in, and finally their lips touched and Johnny was as drawn to him.

He pulled Tao closer by his neck, wanting to taste him. Finally, he got what he desired for so long. Finally, he had Tao, even if it was just one night.

He deepened the kiss and let his hand trail Tao’s waist, not as thin as he had expected, but thin enough. Tao’s hands s around Johnny’s neck and Johnny loved the way they kept him close and urged him on.

It was Tao that pulled away first, and Johnny wanted to kiss more even if he was out of breath.

"It’s cold” Tao spoke and Johnny immediately pulled him inside the apartment and pressed his lips against Tao’s again, and Tao melted into his arms again.

That night when Johnny ed Tao’s shirt, it was as if had never seen anyone before. When Tao moaned his name, it was a dream come true, and was it only a dream, Johnny hoped he’d never wake up. 

That night he made love to Tao the best he could. He poured in all of his love and hoped Tao could feel it. At the same time, he was desperate. He wanted Tao’s body to remember him, and he wanted to remember Tao’s body as well. Every corner, every part, and every sound of Tao he savored. 

With every kiss he pressed against his body he hoped he could feel the love he had held for him. As he stared down on his flushed face he only fell deeper well-knowing he could never have this again.

He muttered the 3 words into Tao’s ear, again and again, digging deeper and deeper every time. His smell was so addicting and to keep himself from going insane Johnny placed lovebites on his collarbones, his chest, just to pretend that Tao was his for once. 

Tao, having loved someone one-sided for a long time, having slept with someone as well, had never felt as loved as he did in Johnny’s arms and hearing the words spilled from Johnny's mouth. The same words he had craved to hear from Kris. He began to believe, there was another way to go, and maybe he could, maybe he should stop chasing Kris if this is what being loved feels like. 

Johnny muttered those words when he came, and realized he didn’t want to let go. He couldn’t let go if making love to someone you love feels this good. Tao who had moaned Johnny’s name as he moved inside him, could feel what Johnny had held for him. From the s that were slow but deep to the words he muttered, but also the way he held him. The way his body leaned over his, how he placed every kiss with passion, to remember every corner of his body. 

He held Tao’s hands, and held eye contact before kissing him passionately, but not desperate as earlier. This time it was slow, and Johnny pretended time had stopped to let him pour everything into that kiss. 

He didn’t want to pull out, having never felt this good, never felt this complete, so instead he placed his head in Tao’s neck taking in his addicting smell, waiting for his heart to calm down. 

He’d never be like this with Tao again, never experience what it’s like being with Tao again.

When Tao had fallen asleep in his arms, he stayed awake, staring at his face, not wanting to close his eyes in case it really had been nothing but a dream. 

"I love you so much” he whispered “I love you so much” 

"I should’ve taken you away from him a long time ago, I’m so sorry” 

 

The next morning he was the first to wake up, and he almost had a heart attack when he saw Tao still in his arms. 

When Tao woke up they sat up in Johnny’s bed.

Tao’s chest was filled with the lovebites Johnny had given him, and Johnny couldn’t help but trace his hand on them. 

"hank you” Tao suddenly spoke and hugged Johnny, head buried in his shoulder “What for?” Johnny asked as he s his arms around Tao “You made me feel loved” 

"Now I finally know what it’s like to be loved, thank you” 

Johnny froze, panic creeping in. What was he gonna do now?

Tao is supposed to move onto Sehun, he’s supposed to be with him, but what if he goes to Johnny, even though he didn’t love Johnny like he loves Sehun and Kris? 

"I’m sorry for using you Tao” Johnny voiced “What do you mean?” Tao asked and leaned away to look at Johnny's face. Johnny let out a deep breath.

"I love you, but you don’t love me, and maybe you think you can, but I know your heart” he explained 

"What are you saying?” Tao asked “If I want to go to you I can’t? Even though you love me?” he questioned, and Johnny felt guilty. He looked away in shame, but his heart was bursting out of his chest.

Did Tao want to go to him? But Johnny was letting him down? He had no choice though. He had promised he wouldn’t chase after Tao.

"Your heart is with Sehun, not me” 

"No, it’s not, we’re-”

"-The lovestruck smile on your face when you talk about Sehun, is the same when you talk about Kris” Johnny interrupted, and Tao saw the broken look in Johnny’s eyes, even if he tried to hide it from him.
“Your eyes are filled with the same loving look when you talk about Sehun” he continued, and Tao didn’t say anything “I know because I’ve been watching you” 

"Even the first time you spoke about him, I could see the adoration you held for him. You have never looked at me like that” 

"What I've shown you, Sehun can give you as well" 

Tao left that day, aware of Johnny's feelings towards him, but also enlightened by the possibility of moving on from Kris in his heart. 

Johnny spent his day in his apartment, suddenly too cold and empty compared to the night before. He smiled, but his heart broke and healed over and over again.

His plan had worked, he had gotten his closure, but it hurt so damn much.

Tao's smell lingered in his apartment and Johnny let his tears flow having tasted paradise but chosen to give it up.

"I'm such a fool" 

 


"So all you wanted was to destroy me? You wanted nothing but hurt me because of what happened?" 

"Yes, that's correct"

"I want to see you hurt. I want your heart to break into a million pieces, and I want you to feel so lost and utterly broken to the point where you don't know if you'll ever heal" 

"Luckily, Taeyong got out before it was too late" 

"You're horrible"

"You're worse" 

"Of course, you can try and explain to Taeyong what we were doing, and in the meantime tell him what you did to Jeno" 

"Surely then we'll see who is worse" 

"I hope you're hurting"