Dinner

Childhood friends

 

 

What’s wrong Tao?” Kris asked as he saw Tao come back, from the sideway pale “It’s nothing” he said “Let’s go” he grabbed Kris by his wrist and dragged him with him.

Kris watched Tao drag him with him. There was a terrified look on his face and he could hear Tao’s uneven breath.

He didn’t ask anything, he just let Tao drag him away, he wouldn’t get an answer anyway.

Instead, he let himself focus on the light breeze and the fact that he’s finally able to talk to Tao.

 

As they walked Tao had so many thoughts going through his head, that he didn’t notice he let go of Kris’ hand “Tao?” He asked stepping closer “Are you okay?” Tao wiped away some tears that had fallen “Yeah I’m fine, let’s just go”

No” Tao turned around “What?” Kris straightened his body “We are not going until you tell me what you saw” He said with a serious face, his arms crossed; a posture that people might call intimidating. Tao froze and looked away “It’s nothing” he answered, his eyes looking like glass because of the tears. He was biting his lower lip which was trembling and Kris couldn’t help but feel sympathy for him. He stepped closer to Tao “Tao” he said looking into his eyes. Tao looked into his eyes too but shifted them away quickly.

Can’t we just go?” Tao spoke in a small shaky voice “Can’t we just go home and…” Tao stopped, the words wouldn’t exit his mouth “Please let’s go” spoke again, his reaching out to grab Kris’ wrist, but it stops and retreats to Tao’s side.

Kris noticed the movement and thought for a moment “Let’s go” he said and started walking in silence.

 

Oh, you’re finally here!” A woman’s voice called out when they stepped into the house. She came into sight in the kitchen and welcomed the boys

Yeah, sorry we stopped by the river” Kris said as they stepped inside “We are gonna go sleep” the woman gave a soft smile “Okay”

 

In his room, he watched as Tao just sat there doing nothing on the bed while Kris changed clothes “Something wrong?” He asked, but Tao just shook his head and answered “No” in a small voice, before laying down and looking into the air.

Kris let out a sigh as he looked out of the window and laid down on the other side of the bed. He turned and faced Tao’s back.

He noticed how small he actually was, how fragile he was, laying there in silence drowning in thoughts he'd never share.

Tao” He spoke in a soft voice. He saw how Tao tensed up when he spoke, and all he wanted was to touch him, tell him it’s okay, everything is gonna fine. But he couldn’t, he couldn’t.

Meanwhile, Tao thought about what happened, how? When? Why didn’t he…. Nevermind he thought and closed his eyes.

It’s none of his business right?

 

When he woke up the next morning, well rested and in a good mood. He looked beside him and there laid Kris asleep.

He cherished these moments, the moments he and Kris spent together, and the moments he could prank him.

So, of course, that’s what he did. Slowly he sat up and moved towards Kris who was placed with his stomach against the bed.

Then he pushed him off. Kris managed to let out a minor surprised yell as he fell.

Tao started laughing, while Kris let out some pained noises “Goddamnit Tao. What the hell” He sat up and rubbed his back, Tao still laughing on the bed “I’m sorry Kris, but it was sooooo tempting” he said before erupting into laughter again.

Kris shortly looked at him, and shook his head, before breaking into laughter too. “I’ll get my revenge, just wait Tao” After Kris spoke his words, they continued laughing for a while, before going downstairs to get something to eat. It wouldn’t exactly be something you could call breakfast, they just took whatever they could find, which ended up being a watermelon, a few buns, and juice. Surely it was not enough to fill their stomach, but they didn’t care, they had a game to play. It’s something they did every year ever since they had become friends.

It was sort of an unspoken promise. They both knew, that it was something that could nor should be broken as long as they live.

So every year they had spent the summer at Kris’ house playing games, hanging out, just the two of them. Sometimes they’d invite their friends to come for a few days, just hanging out, playing games until early in the morning too. But today was the first day and they had to finish the new Halo game together.

 

No! Come this way!” Kris yelled with a smile at Tao “I got it, I got it” Tao said as his character moved towards Kris’ location. This is what happens whenever the two are together, games, food, stay up all night.

 

It was something they both looked forward, one more than the other so, as Tao’s feeling hasn’t drowned yet.

They had drowned, but in his own fantasies, the one where Kris would magically proclaim his undying love for Tao, which always made Tao laugh at his own foolishness.

 

So that’s how they spent their week, the two of them watching movies, shows, playing games.

That was until Kris got a call. They both looked at the screen that lit up the almost fully dark room. Kris paused the game and picked up the phone “What’s up?” It was Kai that had called “Hey dude we are having a farewell party for Chanyeol, he’s leaving Korea for a year”

Kris furrowed his brows “he is? I didn’t know”

Well, yeah, Baek called me” Tao tensed at words said “Baek” he mouthed to himself.

He recalled the night he had seen Chanyeol and Baekhyun. How long had they been hiding it? He looked back at Kris who was casually chatting with Kai, did he know? he wondered, probably not.

Hey Tao” He suddenly spoke “Yeah?”

Kai just told me there’s a farewell party for Chanyeol this Friday”

Oh” he said, “Where’s Chanyeol going?” Kris shrugged “I don’t know. But it’s sudden right?” Kris looked shortly at Tao before un-pausing the game “Yeah. But he’ll come back again won’t he?”

Yeah it’s just a year”

 

A few days later they were gathered at the local bbq, that the soccer team always met at after a victory. This was a kind of victory, though Tao noticed the sad expression that Baekhyun rarely let himself show. Don’t be mistaken Tao enjoyed the night a lot even, he finally had an open conversation with Yuta and WinWin, the first in a while. They talked mainly about martial arts and games, but it was fine, he enjoyed it, even enjoyed how they’d look at one another in secret. Those loving looks made Tao slightly jealous and he had to force himself not to tell them. (they should figure it out on their own, but if they continue like this for much longer, Tao’s gonna crush them) At one point the two started an intern conversation and Tao decided to move to sit beside Johnny, not noticing the eyes that followed him

"Hey, Johnny” Tao spoke as he sat in the spot next to Johnny, a hand placed on Johnny’s shoulder “Oh hey” Johnny spoke a smile on his face, probably from something Kai had said, “How’s it going?” He asked his full attention on Tao, who shrugged “Fine I guess, spending the summer with Kris, as always” Johnny nodded, somehow quieter than he just was “Well would be nice if you’d spend time with us” he spoke, with a small smile on his face “Yeah I know. It’s just” Tao started, but stopped and scratched his neck “It’s just something we’ve done forever” Tao ignored the butterflies in his stomach and the smile that lit up and continued to talk with Johnny.

He felt at ease around Johnny, though he didn’t get quite why, but that might be why he suddenly whispered to him “Johnny. I saw Baek and Chan after our last soccer match” Johnny gave him a confused look and Tao sat wondering how he should explain it.

 

They uhm…” He started out “I think they’re together” he ended up whispering “What?” Johnny answered, obviously shook as he gave Tao a questioning look “Are you serious?” He whispered, to which Tao nodded as he bit his lip “Are you sure?”

Pretty sure”

But I’m gonna ask him” Tao suddenly blurted out as he was getting up “Who?!”

Baek”

Johnny watched as Tao went to Baekhyun, and the two disappeared, his eyes suddenly turned to Kris, who also had watched the two. He felt darkness spread in his stomach. How could Kris act like a best friend towards Tao when he was obviously snooping into his privacy. He ignored the feeling in his stomach.

Until he saw Kris get and follow the two. He let out a sigh "Oh no you don't" he whispered, and spat as he got up after him

 

Where do you think you’re going?” Johnny spoke as he grabbed Kris’ arm in the hallway, stopping his movement. Their conversation had nothing to do with him “Are you really best friends with Tao?” He asked, his voice low and angry “Cause I don’t think friends would eardrop a private conversation” Kris who had had his head turned, finally looked at him “Johnny” he spoke, his face was neither shaking or angry. It was smug.

Johnny widened his eyes as he saw the look in his eyes


It'd be a lie if he wasn't frustrated. He had no idea what was going on, and he just wanted a bit knowledge, and if he didn't want to say it to him. He'd have to find another way

 


A/NYoooooo I'm back. It's been soooooooooo long hasn't it? I'm terribly sorry, too much going on. This chapter had taken me everything to make, and it's not even that great xD I'll make the next soon. Don't worry, the saga will go on!! xDD