1/2: Verdict

Snow Flowers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

LONG CHAP!! One more chap after this, and we done!!! 

 

“Has the jury reached a verdict?” the judge asked.

“Yes they have,” the clerk replied, linking her hands together on the table.

“Sheriff, please bring the jury in,” the judge ordered.

Jung Minho, the defence council, and the prosecutor stand in unison as the sheriff directs the jury members to their seats.

“Members, have you reached a verdict?” the clerk asked.

The man from one of the booths stood up, holding a paper. “Yes we have.”

“Kim Jeong Min-ssi, what is your verdict in the sole count of murder in the 1st  degree?” the clerk asked, repositioning her glasses.

“We, the jury, find the defendant, Jung Minho, guilty of first degree murder.”

The clerk turns her head to the judge. “The jury finds the accused guilty, your honor.”

“Members of the jury, listen to your verdict as the court does not record it. You find the accused Jung Minho guilty of felony murder, blackmailing, kidnapping, and arson. This is your verdict, so to all of you...please stand to confirm your verdict.” 

All members of the jury stood.

“The verdict is unanimous your honor,” said the clerk.

“Jung Minho, you’ve done horrible, horrible things that deserve immense punishment. Jung Minho, a jury of your peers has found you guilty of felony murder. You are given a lifetime sentence for the crimes committed. Sheriff, please take this man into custody.”

 Kim Jaejoong sat in the comfort of Jung Yunho`s home, silently waiting for night to fall. He had one coffee in hand, and the television in the other. His focus was fixed on the television as he watched a news report about Jung Minho.

Jung Minho was arrested, after the police attained Park Yoochun’s phone. That phone Yunho found in Park Yoochun’s car. Messages of Yoochun’s and Jung Minho’s intentions had proved Yunho’s statements.

One million people signed the petition Yunho filed, which made the court reconsider. The case was finally open, and ended with a reasonable verdict. Kim Jaejoong won the case with the help of Kim Junsu and the nation’s support.

The whole nation had turned their backs on Jung Minho, managing to overshadow Park Geun Hye`s scandal with Choi Soon Sil. So much chaos exploded in the streets of Seoul, due to protests in favor of shutting down the Jung Foods Association. Jaejoong would often catch the protests on television, taken aback by the situation.

For weeks on end, Yunho’s house was raided with reporters, hoping to get a word out of Jaejoong’s mouth. Luckily Heechul acted as a representative and shooed off the reporters. The media wanted to obtain information about Jaejoong and Yunho’s forbidden love, and the obstacles they had to overcome.

After Hong Seok Chun, Kim Jaejoong and Jung Yunho were the second gay couple to publicity come out, despite their non-celebrity status.

Everybody knew about Jung Yunho. Not just from his artist status, but his family relations. People were aware of his residence at the mental hospital, his troublesome past from high school, his former drug and alcohol problems, but not Kim Jaejoong.

People were aware that Kim Jaejoong was the start of the big old house fire. It made headlines on the news, concerning the whole nation. Jung Minho was a big name in the food industry. The first name you would think of was Jung Minho if you happened to stumble upon a package of ramen. His face was plastered on the logo, making his face memorable.

After going to Jung Minho`s court hearing, Jaejoong was left with an empty feeling. Even if he did receive justice, even if he got vengeance, the feeling of victory was unsatisfactory without Yunho`s presence.

Not a lot of words could come out of Jaejoong’s lips, despite his complex thoughts. His movements were quite limited as he used a cane to walk. Luckily the ability to grip objects was not lost. Kim Heechul, along with his boyfriend Gong Ji Cheol assisted Jaejoong with his daily necessities.

Gong Ji Cheol closed his café, which caused Ji Eun Tak`s unemployment. Luckily, Ji Eun Tak managed to find a job, which leaned towards her interest of celebrities. She bought an expensive, using her hard earned savings from the café. She put her decent photography skills to use, and followed Exo like a leech.

From time to time, Ji Eun Tak would visit Seoul and go to Kim Jaejoong`s house. After hearing about Yunho`s accident, she asked Gong Ji Cheol for Yunho`s address and kept Jaejoong in company from time to time.

The day after tomorrow would be Kim Jaejoong`s last day in Korea. He made the decision of staying in San Francisco for the rest of his life, knowing that Yunho wouldn`t be waiting for him.

The completed puzzle of the oak tree, along with the 2 plane tickets that Yunho booked laid on the table.

On a cool summer night, Jaejoong finished the puzzle on his own, while Yunho was at his hyung`s house, discovering his past. The puzzle depicted Yunho and Jaejoong`s love, the root of it all.

Jaejoong`s head turned as the doorknob twisted. His eyes lit up as Ji Cheol and Heechul walked in with a box of cake. Following them was little Eun Tak, who had a camera in her hands. The night suddenly felt less dark and cold.

“Hey Jaejoong,” Ji Cheol said, waving. “We just came back from the hospital.”

Jaejoong waved back, smiling.

``Hi ahjussi!!!` Eun Tak exclaimed, grinning. `We brought you cake!!!`

``Th...th..ank...you...” Jaejoong stammered.

“Let’s go,” Ji Eun Tak said.

Ji Eun Tak walked over to Jaejoong, helping him stand up. Jaejoong gripped on her arm, soon taking hold of the cane. Somewhat, Jaejoong felt sorry to Ji Eun Tak. On that one day, he called her ugly. But it wasn’t him speaking, it was his tumor. Jaejoong gave Ji Eun Tak a pat on the head, striking a grin.

“Oh Ahjussi,” Ji Eun Tak cooed. “If you weren’t so old, I would have a crush on you~”

Jaejoong let out a chuckle, covering his mouth with a fist. What a funny girl.

“I made you the best cake ever~~~” Heechul beamed, slicing the cake.

“And I helped with the toppings,” Ji Cheol added, prideful of the fact.

“Let’s go sit Ahjussi,” Ji Eun Tak said, giving Jaejoong support as she pulled the chair.

“You should be thankful for Ji Eun Tak-ssi,” Heechul said. “Her house is hours away from here, and she’s a high school student. But that doesn’t hold her from coming here~”

“I..am…th…ank….ful…” Jaejoong stammered. “Th…ank…ful…for…everyone…”

Smiles filled the room, their hearts warmed by Jaejoong’s words.

“We’ll always be here for you no matter what Jaejoong-ssi,” Ji Cheol said.

Even though the idea of having an ex-boyfriend around seemed revolting, Jaejoong didn’t mind at all. Their past relationship was anything but love. It was lust that Jaejoong and Ji Cheol shared for one another, satisfying it with nights at the hotel.

Jaejoong couldn’t help but feel happy for both Heechul and Ji Cheol. They truly seemed like a match made in heaven. Both shared interests towards culinary arts, European architecture, and pastel coloured clothes. Even if Jaejoong’s feelings were good towards the couple, envy was also included.

During his last month in Korea, he wondered how it’d be like to spend his days with Yunho, not worrying about Yunho’s abouji, or how the world perceived them. Kim Jaejoong’s uality was already disclosed, it wouldn’t matter if people objectified. He was aware of Korea’s disgust towards Homouals, and was immune to harsh remarks.

Jaejoong chewed the cake, taking note of its fluffy frosting. This would be his last bite of Heechul’s cake, before leaving Korea.

“The….fro…sting…is…goo…od…” Jaejoong stumbled.

“I made it~well Ji Cheol oppa helped me.”

“O…oppa?” Ji Cheol asked, batting his eyes. “Me?”

“Yes~I decided to call you oppa from now on,” Heechul cooed, poking Ji Cheol’s arms.

“Oh…okay,” Ji Cheol murmured, his cheeks reddening.

“Aw, you guys are such cute sweet hearts…if Yunho ahj-,”

Ji Cheol sent Eun Tak a death glare, causing Eun Tak to resort to silence. “Ooops.”

“It’s…o…kay…” Jaejoong stammered. “I…al…ready…acc…ept…it…”

“I’m really sorry,” Eun Tak croaked.

“If you’re sorry don’t mention him,” Heechul retorted, taking a bite of his cake.

Jaejoong was somewhat upset of Heechul and Ji Cheol’s way of handling the situation. Even if Yunho’s name slipped out of Eun Tak’s tongue, it was like disregarding Yunho’s existence. He didn’t want that to happen. He wanted to hear Yunho’s name, and talk about their memories without getting pity from others.

But he couldn’t voice out his concerns, due from his speech impairment. Like the Kim Jaejoong from ten years ago, he was trapped in the walls of his own weakness.

Knock! Knock!

“I’ll get it!” Ji Eun Tak cried, sprinting to the door. “Who…are you?”

“Omo…” Heechul said, rising on his feet. “In-Sung-hyung? Changminnie?”

“Who are they?” Ji Cheol asked.

“Yunho’s brothers,” Heechul responded. “Why are they here?”

“Could it be for Jaejoong?” Ji Cheol asked.

“Maybe. Or maybe they’re moving things out of Yunho’s house? I don’t know, I wasn’t informed about this!” Heechul exclaimed, putting his hands on his hips.

Jaejoong turned in his seat as In Sung and Changmin entered the house. The cold, winter air drifted in, making Jaejoong shiver. Eun Tak shut the door behind them, soon leading the two brothers in the dining room.

“There’s cake if you’d like,” Eun Tak said, pointing at the table.

“Oh…yes,” In Sung said, smiling. “But who are you?”

“Oh me?!” Ji Eun Tak said, pointing to herself. “I’m Yunho ahjussi’s friend.”

“You look young to be his friend…” Changmin said, studying Eun Tak’s face. “Are you sure you’re not lost or anything?”

“No!” she exclaimed. “I’m not. I’m the one who gave Yunho-ahjussi advice about his complicated love life.”

“You are? But you look quite young…” In-Sung said, taking off his coat.

“Oh, I’ll take that Ahjussi,” she said, taking both In Sung and Changmin’s jackets. “And just because I’m young doesn’t mean I’m ignorant.”

“Wise words,” In Sung nodded.

“So it seems like we’re having a party,” Changmin said, his eyes beaming at the cake.

Jaejoong turned his back to Changmin, threatened by his presence. Even if the truth was exposed, Jaejoong was aware of Changmin’s resentment towards him. He rocked back and forth in his chair, twiddling with his thumbs under the table. He wished they would go away and never come back. They were the ones who blamed him and made him the object of scrutiny.

“We’re not here to eat cake Changmin-ah,” In sung said.

“Then why are you here?” Heechul asked, raising a brow.

“We’re…here to apologize.”

“Apologize?” Ji Cheol asked. “For what?”

“I think you should apologize too Heechul,” In sung said. “You believed that Jaejoong did it too.”

“I…I did not!” Heechul exclaimed, batting his eyes.

“You had doubts,” In Sung said.

“F…fine!” Heechul cried.

“Now my curiosity is growing,” Ji Cheol said, interested by the situation.

“Oooh, apologies, I like apologies,” Eun Tak said, sitting beside Jaejoong. “What are you guys apologizing for?”

“For…betraying Jaejoong,” Changmin croaked.

Jaejoong’s chest rose, taking the impact of Changmin’s words. Was he hearing him right? Jaejoong wanted to run from this room, and hide. But his damn legs wouldn’t let him. Instead, he stiffened in his chair, praying to the heavens.

“Judging from the look on Jaejoong’s face,” Ji Cheol said. “He looks a bit frightened.”

“Ahjussi…are you okay?” Eun Tak asked, putting a hand on Jaejoong’s shoulder.

Jaejoong shook his head, scrunching his eyebrows in worry. He raised his shoulders by instinct, using it as a way to shield himself. “I…want…go…my room…”

“Oh…okay,” Eun Tak said, standing from her chair.

“Jaejoong…we’re…”

“You guys should go at another time,” Ji Cheol said, standing up.

“And who are you?” Changmin asked.

“I’m Yunho’-,”

“He’s my boyfriend,” Heechul shot back.

“Oh…I didn’t know you had a boyfriend…” In Sung croaked.

“Well, you didn’t know a lot-,”

“Hey, you shouldn’t be talking, considering you believed in it too,” Changmin intervened.

“Hey! You…”

“Let’s…go…” Jaejoong whispered, holding his cane. Eun Tak nodded, bracing Jaejoong’s arm.

“Jaejoong…wait…” Changmin said, stepping in front of Jaejoong. Jaejoong’s eyes widened, startled.

“Ahjussi, he needs to go to his room,” Eun tak said.

“I need to…”

“He’s not in the mood,” Eun Tak responded.

“Just for-“

“Let him be,” In-Sung said from afar. “Let him rest…then…we’ll speak…”

“F…fine,” Changmin sighed, stepping away from Jaejoong.

Jaejoong heaved a sigh of relief as he neared the master bedroom. Eun Tak continued to assist him, soon putting him to rest on the bed.

“Th…thank…you…” Jaejoong croaked, putting his head on the pillow.

“Ahjussi,” Eun Tak said, pulling up the blanket to his chin. “Why don’t you want to talk to them?”

“Be…cause…” Jaejoong said, rolling over. “Th…ey…blam..ed…me…”

“Wh…what?” Eun Tak asked, her eyes growing.

“The…fire…they…also…bla…med…me…I…thought…th…ey…would…trust…me…but…they…di…din’t…”

Jaejoong couldn’t control himself, nor his tears as he sobbed in his pillow. Eun Tak’s heart wrenched, watching the weak side of Kim Jaejoong unfold. Why was life so hard for Yunho’s lover? She rubbed her hand on Jaejoong’s back, in hopes to comfort him. “It’s okay Ahjussi…”

“No…is…not…Eun…tak…ssi…I…I…” he sobbed. “Can…you…tell…them…to…go…away? Pl…ease…”

Eun Tak nodded, understanding Jaejoong’s pain. She couldn’t object Jaejoong’s requests, aware of Jaejoong’s current situation. Even if he did gain justice and the sympathy of may others, he lost Yunho in exchange.

She walked out of the room, closing the room behind her. To her surprise, In-Sung and Changmin were in the hallway, waiting for Jaejoong’s response.

“He wants the two of you to go away,” she said, placing her hands on one hip. “He’s tired.”

“I can hear him crying,” Changmin said, knitting his eyebrows together. “He’s definitely not okay.”

“And that’s why he wants you two to go.”

“Who are you to say if we should go or not?!” Changmin snapped, his temper rising.

“Jaejoong-ahjussi trusts me,” Eun Tak declared, straightening her shoulders.

“That’s what you think,” Changmin scoffed.

“Now Changmin,” In Sung, grabbing his arm. “You should handle this a little more maturely.”

“I don’t want to. This girl is annoying me.”

“Good, I want you to be annoyed. Jaejoong Ahjussi says you blamed him for the whole thing-,”

“Look.” In Sung said, letting go of Changmin’s arm. “We didn’t blame him. Back then, we couldn’t rationalize. And the evidence was there, so we didn’t know any better until Yunho informed us. Well…we didn’t believe him at first, but then the case-repoened and…”

“That means you doubted him!” Eun Tak cried. “You doubted both KIm Jaejoong and Jung Yunho!”

“Who are you? Their spokesperson?” Changmin retorted.

“You asked me that question 3 times today Ahjussi, I told you I am Ji. Eun. Tak. Yunho ahjussi’s friend.”

“Wait…did you just call me Ahjussi?!” Changmin asked, inclining towards her.

“Yes, I did.”

“I am only 25!” Changmin exclaimed, offended.

“Sorry, you act like an old, grumpy man that I wasn’t even aware~”

“Anyways,” Changmin said, crossing his arms. “Just let us visit Jaejoong. Then we’ll leave you alone.”

Changmin pushed the teenage girl out of the way, causing Eun Tak to jolt forwards. On impulse, Eun Tak dived in front of Changmin and pressed her back on the door, spreading her arms out. “Nope. Never. You’re not stepping…”

“Aish!” Changmin exclaimed, shifting his eyes back and forth. “Hyung, take her wrist.”

“Judging from your shirt,” In Sung said. “You’re a Xiah Junsu fan?”

“Yes…well not anymore…but I had no other shirt to wear.”

“I know one him.”

Eun Tak’s eyes widened, growing larger than an expanding balloon. “You…you do?!”

“Yes. I had to help him file a lawsuit when he tried to leave TVXQ…we have lunches sometimes…”

“Oh…oh my god…really?!! Are you telling me the truth?!!!” she gasped.

“Yup. And if you get your back off that door, I can persuade him to give you an autograph for just one day…”

“Psh…” Eun Tak rolled her eyes. “I already got it. And he’s dating Hani from Exid, so what difference would that make?!”

“I’ll…convince him to break up with Hani…” In Sung said.

“R…really?! But…I’m on to Exo now…”

“Fine…I know Exo too!” In Sung exclaimed.

“Really?!!”

“Yeah…” he muttered. “I…helped their company sue hate commenters against Exo…”

“Omo!”

“I’ll ask them to give you autographs…if you get out of that door…”

“Omo! Omo! When am I going to get it?!”

In an instant, Changmin claimed the doorknob, winning against Eun Tak’s gullibility. In Sung smirked as he followed Changmin.

“Yah!!! Did you just say that so I can get out of the way?!!” Eun Tak yelled from behind.

“Sorry kid, there was no other way,” In Sung said, turning over his shoulder.

Eun Tak stomped on the ground, forming a pout. “Aish!”

In-Sung shut the door behind him, and headed towards the bed.

“Kim Jaejoong,” Changmin said, his shadow hitting Jaejoong’s form.

Jaejoong remained motionless, pressing the pillow to his ear. He didn’t want to hear them, nor see them. He kept his gaze on the wall, taking short intakes of breath. If they stayed any longer, his panic attacks would resurface.

“J…ust…go…a…way...” Jaejoong stammered.

The mattress squeaked as Jaejoong’s trembled. The quivers turned to violent jolts, causing Changmin to step back. “Hyung…”

“Go…go AWAY!”

Jaejoong sprung from his position and threw the lamp on the ground, cracking the lightbulb from within. “Go…GO!”

Changmin nodded, frightened by the whole situation. “L…let’s go…Hyung…”

 

“What happened to Jaejoong hyung?” Changmin asked, facing Heechul at the table.

While Eun Tak, and Ji Cheol sat on the couch, watching a drama, Heechul, In Sung and Changmin were gathered around the table, discussing Jaejoong’s current state.

“He…has anaplastic oligodendroglioma,” Heechul disclosed, sighing.

“Wh…what’s that?” Changmin asked, raising his brows.

“It’s…a brain tumor,” Heechul croaked.

Gasps escaped from both brothers, shocked and absolutely saddened by Jaejoong’s current stance in life.

“Wh…what…that’s…” Changmin stuttered, his eyes shifting back and forth. “Th…that…”

“That’s horrible,” In Sung grunted, clenching his chest.

Changmin tensed in his seat, refusing to believe Heechul’s words. But, he couldn’t lie to himself. There were rows of medicine on the counter, and judging from Jaejoong’s speech impairment, all signs proved it to be true. His guilt worsened, lurching his stomach. Tears threatened to escape as Changmin blinked them back.

“I…I…was so mad at him…and hated him…I…” Changmin stammered. “I…I’m horrible…I didn’t…even know…what...”

“Changmin,” In Sung said, firmly placing his hand on his shoulder. “It’s not your fault.”

“It is! I…caused his pain! That’s why he’s like this! It’s all cause of me! I’m horrible!” Changmin exclaimed, rising from the chair.

“Changmin, where are you going?!” Heechul asked.

“I’m going to apologize…even if he doesn’t want me to.”

“I don’t think that’s a good idea!” In Sung cried, walking behind Changmin.

“Jaejoong Hyung!!” Changmin cried, standing behind Jaejoong’s door. Changmin knelt down, letting go of his dignity.

In Sung gasped, astounded by Changmin’s determination.

“Jaejoong-hyung…I’m sorry…I…I’m really sorry!”

“…”

“I didn’t mean to blame you in that fire okay? I…I was stupid!”

“…”

 “…my mom…I lost her…I couldn’t contain my emotions that day…”

“…”

“When…I saw that cigarette in your hands…I…too…was taken aback…”

“…”

“When…that maid…showed the evidences…I couldn’t…I couldn’t…contain…my anger…so then I lashed out on you…”

“…”

“When…that whole case was dropped…abouji said you threatened him…so…then I believed him…since I didn’t know who to believe…”

“…”

“But then…hearing your side of the story in court…I realized…how horrible of a person abouji is and how manipulative he is…both him and that maid…are horrible people…”

“…”

“I hated on you…I blamed you for everything…”

“…”

“I…didn’t know you were struggling this much…I’m really…really sorry Hyung…really…” Changmin stammered, letting his tears get the best of him.

The hinge squeaked, causing Changmin to look up. Right in front of him was the man he felt apologetic for, the man who he now feared. The tip of the cane tapped on the ground as Jaejoong drew towards Changmin. Shivers went down Changmin’s shoulder as he hit Jaejoong’s cold, intimidating gaze.

Jaejoong was a warm person, but his exterior gave a different impression. With those eyes of his, he could cut a person’s sanity and make them cripple of guilt.

Both of them unaware, the other visitors gathered around, wanting to watch the scene unfold.

“S…tand…up…” Jaejoong stammered.

Changmin nodded, rising from the ground. Although Changmin stood high, he couldn’t bear to look at Jaejoong. He lowered his head, waiting for Jaejoong’s verdict.

“I…”

“I forgive you,” Jaejoong said, uttering those words without difficulty.

A loud exhale escaped from Changmin, taken aback. His eyes went to Jaejoong, a thing he swore not to do. “You…you do?”

“Y…yes,” Jaejoong nodded.

Changmin’s own relief took him off towards Jaejoong, embracing the weak man.

“Th…thank you hyung…I…I…I’m sorry…” Changmin muttered, burying his head in Jaejoong’s shoulders.

“You…can…stop…crying…now…” Jae

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter