Breaking Barriers

Snow Flowers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“This house...the interior...it reminds me of the house we used to live in...” Jaejoong said, glancing at the space in awe. I smiled at the contentment of his face as a sudden rush of warmth surges my stomach.

The floors were white, shiny, and smooth, reflecting our every move as I ushered Jaejoong into the living room. A modern-styled, white couch was placed at the middle of the room, revolving a rectangular coffee table made of glass. Underneath the coffee table sat a beige, fuzzy rug made of faux animal hair. Across the couch was a sleek, rectangular fireplace; deemed perfect for cold, winter nights. “Woah....so much books,” Jaejoong remarked. 

Behind the couches, were a row of bookshelves implanted into the walls. The shelves reached to the ceiling, boasting a high quantity of books. Leaning against the bookshelf was a tall, skinny ladder that reached the top. Telling from Jaejoong’s expression, he was happy about the bookshelf.

“My Hyung mostly reads those...it’s a bunch of Korean literature,” I said.

Progressing further into the house, we stepped towards the kitchen. The kitchen was great in size, definitely beating my own kitchen from home. White, marble top counters gleamed beneath the spotlights, along with the appliances that stood on the surface. In the middle of the kitchen, was an island counter that scaled ten times larger than the one I had at home. Above the countertop stove was a ventilator, which had the ability to take in fumes.

Near the large, square window was the wooden, grey dining table. Surrounding the table were sleek, black chairs; perfect for four people.

“Wow, I can already imagine myself cooking in this kitchen,” Jaejoong said.

“Well...we don’t have food...” I said, scratching my head.

“Oh...is there a grocery nearby?” he asked.

“Yeah...but it’s a thirty-minute drive...”

“You should’ve got groceries before coming here!” he cried.  

“It’s...it’s okay,” I said, trying to make him feel better.

“I know...I’ll get Heechul to-,”

“But Heech-,”

The doorbell chimed, causing me to move away from the kitchen. “I’ll get it!”

...

“Heechul!” I exclaimed, delighted at the sight of him.

In both of his hands were two separate luggage’s, both of them coming from my very own home as I recognized their color and shape. “Here Jung,” he groaned, wheeling both of the luggage forwards.  

“Heechul...” Kim Jaejoong said from behind me, sounding taken aback.

“I’m here~” Heechul said, dragging his feet towards the couch. “Wow...this is perfect for a honeymoon.”

“Heechul-ah, what are you doing here?” Jaejoong asked, his voice full of spunk.

“Oh Kim Jaejoong. Sorry to interrupt you and little Yunnie’s honeymoon vacation...it’s not like I wanted to come here by choice...I had to pack all of you and Yunho’s stuff and bring it all here since you two came unprepared! You know.... how tired I am?” Heechul said, plopping down on the couch.

“How...how did you get here? Car? Train?” I asked.

“Choi Siwon...he’s parking the car right now,” Heechul said, laying himself down.

“Yunho...you told Heechul about this?” Jaejoong asked. I turned around, obtaining the sight of his concerned expression.

“I told him everything...”

“Can’t you trust your own best friend?!” Heechul asked, rising from his position. “And you stole my car...telling me it was for a business meeting in Busan since you didn’t want to take the bus and all...what a lie!” Heechul cried, pointing at Jaejoong.

“I had no other choice okay! If I told you about...Yunho and picking him up at some far away place, you would think it’s a plan for us to run away together!!”

“And it was a plan to run away!!!” Heechul argued.

“But it wasn’t Jaejoong’s intention okay! I was the one who came up with this whole running away thing,” I added. “Yeah, Jaejoong did pick me up from the whole hiking mishaps.”

“Did you envision the hiking mishaps?” Heechul asked, glancing over to Jaejoong from the couch.

“I did...this morning, so then I tried to call him...but he wasn’t answering...so then I waited again, and then I finally got an answer from Go-Ara...”

“Wait!” Heechul exclaimed, standing up from the couch. “Go-Ara?! Class eight Go-Ara?!! The one you dropped a pl-,”

“Don’t ing mention that!!” Jaejoong snapped, causing me to filch.

“Sorry,” Heechul said, lowering his gaze. “But...Go-Ara really answered?”

“Yes...she had Yunho at her house...”

“Oh my god, you were probably so jealous!”

“Shut the up Heechul!” Jaejoong exclaimed. “Why would I be jealous of her? Hm?”

Scary Jaejoong returned without a doubt. And it was downright frightening.

 “Anyways, continue with your hitchhiker story," Heechul said. 

“So then...” Jaejoong sighed. “I went to your house, and you happened to be standing outside your apartment...so then I asked you for your car yadayadayada, the little gullible person you are, you believed in my lie, so then I drove from Seoul to the province just to pick up Yunho...you know how tiring it was?”

“Like the gullible person I am?! I just came back home from the hospital!!!! The medicine made me all dazy so I didn’t know what you were up to okay?!!!”

“Hospital?” Jaejoong asked.

“I was freakin’ robbed!!! And like the horrible friend you are~~~you didn’t even ask how I was doing!!!! You just went ‘Oh Heechul?! Can I borrow your car??’ And like the nice person I am, I lent you my car!!!!!”

“I didn’t-“

“Whatever,” Heechul said, holding up his hand. “You were too focused on Yunho...I know your hormones were raging...I bet you were gonna ask Yunho to go to the woods and have make-up , right?!!! But then...you guys wanted a secluded area so I guess you ended up going to In-Sung hyung’s villa.... right~~~???”  

A sly expression unfolds from Heechul’s mouth. 

My cheeks burned up at the mention of . Seriously I was going to kill Heechul!

“You ing...” Jaejoong gritted his teeth. He then tackled Heechul onto the couch, trapping Heechul underneath his body. Aigoo, I had to stop this.

“Stop!” I exclaimed, hitting both of them with one of the pillows.

“Having a pillow party, or a... wrestling party I suppose?”

“Oh my god! Siwon!!” Heechul somewhat managed to free himself from Jaejoong’s body as he sprung up the couch. He flipped his orange locks behind his ear, blinking rapidly.

“Siwon-ah!” I exclaimed.

In Siwon’s hands was a white box, leaving me curious of what was inside.

“I brought cake!” Siwon exclaimed.

“Yeah, and it’s my cake!!!” Heechul exclaimed.

“Does Siwon know Jaejoong?” I whispered to Heechul.

“Um...not really. So we’re safe,” Heechul whispered back.

“But...weren’t we all in the same school?” I asked.

“Yeah...but Siwon was mostly focused in his own world. And he wasn’t in our class, so it’s okay,” Heechul whispered back. “Oh Siwon~let me cut the cake!!!” Heechul said, following Siwon.

 “That’s Choi Siwon right? The guy from our old high school?” Jaejoong asked, nudging my arm.

“Yeah. Doesn’t Heechul talk about him all the time? Since they’re best friends and all?” I asked.

“Not to me,” Jaejoong said. “I don’t frequent Heechul’s café...but I know that’s his business partner or something like that, right?”

“Yeah,” I replied.

“Ah, I see...are they a thing?”

“Well, Heechul says he’s over him. But I don’t believe it,” I said.

“Seems like he’s still head over heels with Choi Siwon.”

“I guess so,” I chuckled. “But he’s the religious type. Nice guy, but he’s not open-minded about...you know...homouality and stuff...”

“...”

“You should introduce yourself to him. Maybe he’ll recognize you...”

“I don’t want anyone to recognize me,” Jaejoong said.

~

“Wow~~~~my cake looks~~~so good~~~~~!!!” Heechul exclaimed, his eyes set on the cheesecake.

“It really does,” Siwon said, grabbing the knife.

Siwon cut the cake into fractions, soon depositing one slice on his plate. “You can have this slice,” Siwon said, handing the plate to Jaejoong.

“Re...really?” Jaejoong asked, seeming taken aback.

“Yes.”

“Well,” Jaejoong said, taking the plate within his hands. “Thank you.”

“I haven’ got the chance to introduce myself to you....my name is Choi Siwon. You?”

“Um, Kim Jaejoong.”

“Are you Yunho’s friend?” Siwon asked, glancing over to me.

“Oh...yes,” Jaejoong nodded. I hope he stays normal for the night. Please stay normal Jaejoong-ah, I’m begging you. “Actually...” he added, his mouth curving at one side.

I shot a look at him, causing him to lower his gaze. My instincts are telling me that Jaejoong’s up to no good tonight.

“So... how’s your window going?” I asked, taking the knife from Siwon as he finishes slicing his own cake.

“We booked a glass-repair man for tomorrow to get it replaced, so the café is closed for now,” Siwon said, taking a bite of his cake.

I sink the knife within the layers, cutting a fraction of the cake. I transferred the cake onto my own plate, soon putting the plate in front of me afterwards. Eager to eat, I lifted the fork off the table and took a big chunk off the cake.

“Because of that stupid kid Park Yoochun!” Heechul gritted.

Looking across, Jaejoong continued to munch on the cake, not surprised by Heechul’s words. 

“Aish...Park Yoochun,” Siwon said, his tone changing. “I can’t believe the guy that broke our shop window was that trouble maker from our school...”

“Thank god Jung Yunho changed...” Jaejoong said, causing my breath to hitch.

“Oh right...he used to be friends with Yunho right?” Siwon asked.

“Yes,” Jaejoong nodded.

“Oh...so if you know that, that means you went to the same school as us...right?” Siwon asked, somewhat sounding surprised.

“Yes,” Jaejoong repeated.

“Oh...I would’ve never known!” Siwon exclaimed, his eyes twinkling.

“It’s mostly because I stayed behind the lines...” Jaejoong muttered.

“Ah, I see...” Siwon replied.

“People used to overlook me. Wouldn’t blame them though,” Jaejoong said.

I took a bite off my cake, cleaning the remaining cream off the fork afterwards.

“But you were always on top of our grade.” I remarked.

“At least Jung Yunho was aware of that fact...” Jaejoong said. “He was the only one who truly cared about me in that horrible school.”

I stiffened in my seat, not knowing how to respond to that. Heechul did the same as he glanced over to Jaejoong, seeming worried too.

“How about me?! Didn’t I care too?” Heechul asked, sounding like a petty teenage girl.

“Of course you cared about me. You’re included in the list of the people I truly liked...which is a rare list to get into. But Jung Yunho...he’s special,” Jaejoong said, darting his gaze at me.

Please stop talking Jaejoong...please....

“Well, we all know that Yunho is special. He’s a very nice person,” Siwon said, smiling like the nice person he is.

“Not just nice...but he’s very, very nice. So nice...that it makes me feel bad. So nice that...I want him all to myself...” Jaejoong said, his smile intensifying.

“Ahem...” I said, clearing my throat.

“He is a nice person indeed. Too bad we can’t have him all to ourselves, right?” Siwon chuckled.

“Oh...but it is possible...” Jaejoong said.

“In what way?” Siwon asked. “If you wanted him all to yourself,” Siwon said, looking at my direction

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter