Chapter 9: Coincidence or fate

Faking crush on me

 

I stomp inside the library in huff. I never mad at someone like this. He.. or that friend of Yongguk, completely makes my blood boil. I still curious to how both of them become weirdly good friends. Like seriously, best friends ever that hard can be separated. They are definitely in different personality. It's like a devil and an angel become a team and I'm just a human being that being trapped between them.

But in my side probably look like that, however, in their sides might as well seem different. I don't know must about their friendship but I guess, they are strong one. Just like, how me and Soyeong are having now.

I saunter passed the librarian counter while bitting my inner cheek.

It's just a small action but I think I took them too seriously. Am I overreaction? But why? I don't have any idea about it. There's nothing to be distracted by him at all. I need to remind myself about that. He's nobody. Himchan is nobody.

Pull yourself together, Hana.

I take a very long breath before exhale quietly.

My eyes promptly wander around the large room in front of me and check the clock right the top of the counter. It's actually above the librarian head and I turn my head back when realized I've been running late, like ten minutes.

Crap, I still don't know who Jongup really are. I barely get to know him. He could be a short temper one or impatient type, but I believe in Soyeong's choice.

I walk farther ahead and my gaze never left every single part in the room. I passed several of tables beside me and nope of Jongup's face appears in my sight.

Did he forget?

My hand shoves inside my pocket and decided to call him instead but when I make double check, I eventually spot him and he is actually sitting at the last table at the back and I sigh lightly.

I forgot, he likes the back spot so much. Just like his seat in my classroom.

I drag my feet faster and plop myself in front of him.

"Sorry. I'm late" I breathe out.

He lifts his head up and look at me with a blank face. "Oh that's fine, were you just lost or something?"

I raises my eyebrows, "Not funny" I said.

He doesn't say anything but shrugs. My eyes narrow small over him before putting my books at the table. He is holding a book in his hand but I don't think he is reading them. Is he just acting or what? His eyes straight at the book and totally focus on it.

"Yah, are we going to start or not?" I grit my teeth when the silent took over us quite long and I'm beginning to feel awkward already and irritation of course.

"Wait a second" He mutters, hissing under his breath. I watch his eyebrows furrow a bit. Impatient, I stand up abruptly and look across over the table and found his phone behind the book, playing game.

"Seriously?" I clicked my tongue.

"Shut up" He quietly said and a minute after he cheers 'yes' in silent upon winning the game I guess. He put the book down and keep his phone in his pocket uniform before concentrating to me back who already folded both of my arms over my chest.

"We lost a lot of times, you know" 

"Says who just got lost 10 minutes a while ago" He replied.

I shot him a death glance and he smiles innocently.

Great, how does Soyeong found this weird boy? I'm probably going to find out.

"Chill, Hana. You're too serious. It's not fun" He finally said.

My chest rose and fall and then I make a loud sigh, enough for him to hear. He knows I'm totally serious.

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry." He pushed his body forward and put both of his hands at the table, intertwining his fingers together.

"By the way, We don't take long though, today. We're just going to pick a theme, right?" He said. I calmly nod.

As for today, we are going to decide on the theme for our assignment. The rest would be arrange later.

"So, did you have it on your mind right now?" His tone sounds serious now and his gaze still in mine.

I nod, "Yes, and I think I choose animal, how is it?" I ask.

"I'd fine with everything" He answered without waiting any second and yawning. Am I really boring person?

"And what's your plan in this project?" He throws me another question.

"Why you keeps asking me? Aren't you a part of this project? You should at least suggest me something because my mind is running blank too" I hiss in my seat. 

Jongup looks at me and blink like a puppy and I want to smack his face because of that look.

"To be honest, I don't know how to start to, that's why I ask you. You seem smart." He blunts at me.

I sigh and hard for me to deal with a guy. My finger flip the edge of the book, deep in thinking.

"If you don't mind, I think I know what should we do next" I finally said after being silent.

He lifts up his eyebrows at me and I inhale a long air.

"Since it's animal. How about we go to Zoo?" I let out my idea.

His shoulders slumped immediately and quickly leaning his back at the chair.

"Seriously? First you want me come to this library that I rarely go and now Zoo? Do you know how old we are?" He protests as he runs his finger through his hair behind. It looks soft.

"It doesn't matter. We're just going to find out how every animal lives, that's all. It's actually a right place though. We don't have to stay up for a few days at the forest to find animals there. Don't you think?" I explained it all and smirk at my win.

He stares at me long before releasing a heavy sigh, giving up.

"Sure thing, Hana. Just do whatever you want" He stretches his hands up, so does his legs under the table.

"Oh c'mon, you're going to have fun" I sarcastically said, in order to tease the male.

"Fun my " He mutters under his breath. I snickers at his reaction.

"So, when are we going to go?" He asked, breaking my laugh off. I press my lips together and musing for a second.

"How about this weekend? or you already have another plan on weekend?" I flip open the book in front of me then close it back. Jongup becomes silent for a minute on his seat.

"Okay" He shortly agree. My lips form a thin smile and nod. 

"Great"

"But the zoo seriously far from here, are you really want to go there?" He still in doubt in this plan. I thought it's easier for us. 

I feel half-hearted right away but force a smile anyway "We can take a bus, I guess"

"You can drive?" He asked all of sudden.

"No" I honestly admit to him. He forms his lips into a circle.

I didn't take a license for a car yet.

"You?"

He breathe out, "I don't have a car but I can drive" he his lip.

I don't know how to respond and just watch him with my gaze. He glances at me for a second and something is like hitting him. He flicks his fingers in front of me.

"I have this housemate, I think we can ask for help." He speaks up.

"Why don't we just take a bus?" I still can't get it, why he seems refuse. 

"I hate waiting and it takes so much times. Don't worry, I will take over our ride plan and you just have to prepare for our project." He hushed me away.

"What if he doesn't agree?" I retorts.

"He will or if he doesn't, I'm going to make him anyway. Seriously, Just leave it to me, Hana" he growls and sounds mad in his tone. I didn't mean to annoy him but aren't we going to burden other too?

"He's nice anyway. He will definitely willing to help us, I guarantee" He tries to convince me.

I don't have a choice but follow his lead.

"Just tell me where you live and this Saturday, I'll pick you up around nine." He said, hanging his bag on his shoulder and silently get up from his seat. The room grow quieter when only a few of students left including us. The clock show the number four shape.

I take a moment before nodding at him. He pats friendly on my right shoulder before walking off.

...

The Saturday come way to fast and I'm having a breakfast now with my family. My sister still in her room, sleeping and in dining table only have my father, mom and me. 

"You have plan today, right?" My father breaks the silent in the kitchen room. He is observing my casual outfit where I have this tight jean and a simple cute T-shirt wrapped around my tiny body while being covered by a long gray cardigan outside. My hair had been putted up in high ponytail and I feel comfortable as well.

I only give him a simple 'hmm' as a response as chewing the tuna sandwich that my mom made. 

I already informed to my mom about going to Zoo with my other friends. She seems doesn't have any problem with it and I bet, she told my father about it too.

"I heard it's a guy" He adds, glancing at me through the corner of his old eyes.

"He's just my classmate" I spelled the truth instantly before he went too far that might annoying me. My father is the biggest joker ever that I hate the most because it makes me down perfectly.

He opens his mouth to babble against me but the bell at my front door ring out of nowhere, cutting my father which having me a relief breath.

I squint at the clock. It's still eary for Jongup to ever being here. I still have around thirty minutes to go. But I still budge too, dropping my half sandwich in my plate then walk up to the door.

"Wait a sec" I shout when the bell was being pressed once again.

When I open the door, a wide grin of Soyeong comes into my sight.

"Soyeong, What are you doing here?" I asked and let her in anyway.

She excitedly steps in and I notice she dressed a bit nice today which I smell a fishy thing in her.

Then I cursed to myself entirely. I shouldn't tell her about our tiny trip. Oh god! 

"You are not going with us" I state to her right away. 

She looks at me weird, furrowing her eyebrows. "What are you talking about? Going where?"

Oh nice. She is acting now.

I close the door behind me and stroll to the kitchen back, muttering "I know what you're thinking, Soyeong. Stop pretending"

She chuckles behind me and follow me up. She greets my parent casually and take a seat beside me. I resume eating my meal back without saying anything.

"What brought you here early in the morning, dear?" My mom asks while putting sandwich in front of her.

"Nothing, just coming" She simply said, taking a bite. Her lips flash a small smile. 

"Don't you know, Hana is going out today? She didn't tell you?" My mon look at her then sneak a glance at me as if I had committed the biggest crime.

What's now?

Before Soyeong could answer. My sister walks into the room and her eyes looking for my figure.

"Hana-ah, someone is waiting for you outside of our house" She informed while yawning loud.

"Really?"

It must be Jongup.

I quickly get up and left the empty plate on the table. I walk around the table then peck on my parent's cheeks, ignoring Soyeong's gaze that burn on me.

"I'm leaving" I said and run to the living room to take my small bag. I snatch my white canvas shoes and put them on in the doorway. Once I upright my body. Soyeong already stands beside the door, looking at me with her cute pout.

"You know, I like Zoo so much" She hugs my door, drawing my attention.

"Not working" I murmur and a grin playing on my lips.

"Fine, you're mean" She stucks her bottom lip at me but end up a smile crack on her pink lips.

"By the way, have fun and tell me later. I'll definitely listen it about your day today." She winks at me.

"Sure, Soyeong. I'll tell you everything Jongup does and don't leave a single thing about him" I say in sarcasm tone and exit my house right away before her fingers pinch my arm. 

I reach the gate and open them, revealing Jongup's face. He is wearing a pair of blue jeans with the black jacket covered his dark green T-shirt. His hairs put down, hiding his forehead.

I never saw him in casual clothes other than school uniforms and I'm not going to lie, He looks stunningly perfect and cool. I feel guilty because Soyeong has no chance to see it now.

"Hey" He greets me and I just return him with the same.

"So, are you ready to be a kindergarten kid for a day?" He throws me his lame joke, which I fake a laugh in front of him.

He grins, showing his white teeth when they are not working on me at all. I found the actual comfortable in our conversation.

"Did you succeed convincing your housemate?" I asked instead, slightly in mock tone despite I can catch a glimpse of person at the driver seat, predicting the answer already.

"Just see it by yourself" Jongup arrogantly spits out then stroll to the silver car near us. I follow his feet from behind and trying to look at the person through the glass window. I guess, he might older than us.

I walk forward, getting near.

But then my heart skip a beat as my feet stop halfway before making it to the car. The side profile of his face totally get clear in my eyes before he turns his head and his gaze darted to mine instantly.

I stand there rigid, momentarily shocked by his presence.

I never thought he's going to involve in our small event.

He throws me a warm smile that I hate the most and he is the last person I was thinking of.

He is Jung Daehyun.

He is unexpectedly the housemate Jongup was telling about that day.

I do know coincidence happen, but I do believe fate too. But now both of them are completely having me confused. It's actually in between.

Jongup is about to open the door car and notice my figure no longer behind him. He looks over his shoulder and watch a frozen me a few feet away from him.

"Yah, are you not coming?" He calls out.

I snap and tear my gaze away before landing at Jongup's puzzle face.

I try to find my voice in my throat before opening my mouth.

I've changed my mind.

"Can I tag my friend along with us?"