Chapter 22: Intent stare

Faking crush on me

 

I squint my eyes to the male in front of me. Jittery, I bite my lower lip and inhale.

"Why are you staring at me?" My voice appears harsh a little bit while glancing at him hard. Daehyun's eyes stayed stiff and his soft lips plastered a big smile on it. It's so snug yet dangerous.

Soyeong still in her hiding place, probably the bathroom. It seems like we are giving her a space a bit to calm down herself. Well, when she comes back, I'll definitely give her a compliment about how good she was in dancing a while ago. I hope she doesn't feel humble about it and appreciate her talent.

Back to Daehyun. He replies me with a silent for a few seconds before he starts to speak,

"Nothing, It just.." He pauses a second "yesterday I was waiting for Jongup to come out from the bathroom, he was taking so long and when I walked in, I saw him sleeping inside the empty bathtub in completely , so I took his photos, do you want to see it?" His tone is monotone as he lifts his eyebrows to me.

Jongup gasps, "Hyung, what the-"

My jaw hangs for a while, then pressing it close.

"You know what, I want to kick you so bad" Despite I sound pissed off, but my face turns red all over it. Thanks to it. He was staring at me because he wants to tell me those pointless thing? It's ridiculous. He is so weird and annoying and I don't get it.

As usual, his famous laugh greeted me. I roll my eyes and Jongup clicks his tongue, controlling his embarrassed. His hyung seriously gives him a headache.

It seems like only Daehyun's voice echoes around yet didn't distract anyone here. I release a deep sigh and then look at Jongup.

"Who was the one wrote the request? Seriously, y dance.. ? Unbelievable." I burst out my unsatisfied to him.

"Me" Jongup admits right away, don't even lifting his head. His fingers running on the surface of his screen phone, playing some game. I gawk.

"What were you thinking?" My face crumples shockingly.

"I thought I would get that one because I'm good at it" Jongup sounds arrogant at this and particularly show off to me. I'm not sure if he really means it.

"Are you sure Moon Jongup?" I make a disgust face, rolling my eyes up again. He seems don't give a damn about my mock.

"Don't underestimate him, baby. He's really good, because his body is y" Daehyun butts in into the conversation. I look at him like he was a crazy gay guy, then he adds again.

"That's why I want to show you his body, so you can see how amazing his bo- Ah!"

I hit him on the stomach. His hand automatically brought to the sore spot. He doesn't groan or whine in pain but breaking into an annoyance laughter again. He enjoys himself so much. I turn away from him before I see Soyeong walks in into this room again which such a relief me because this idiot Jung Daehyun just tried to test my patience.

Apparently, she looks way better than before and I can tell she still feels embarrassed about earlier. Also, Her hair had been tied in high ponytail and she is walking to us with a slowest pace ever I have seen. She's must trying not to trip over since her glasses still in my hand. Her eyesight is not power enough to make her walk fast.

Once she sets herself down, she snatches her glasses and put them on. I just watch her excitedly but unfortunately, her face is bitter. I can see she is trying harder to not making any eyes contact either with me or with these two guys.

"Soyeong" I call out.

She remains silent and let me by myself. I pout and steal a glance over her. She just dips low her head and I'm in doubt to keep talking or just shrug it off.

"I guess the game is over" Daehyun said, noticing how tense my friend is right now. I just basically ignore him.

"Seriously though, you are amazing. I didn't know you can dance that well" I tap her on the lap and try to light her mood a bit. At first, she was quiet and now her face shows some improvement a little. Her lips break into a soft smile that almost disappear.

"Honestly, I never show to anyone" She confessed, squint her eyes to Jongup. The boy still in his own world.

"But, you still looks good" Daehyun speaks and by the tone, he is serious about it as his smile come cross to his lips in sincere. My heart confused a bit with this side of him.

"Right, Jongup?" He elbows the youngest man beside him.

"Hmm.. " The male replied. Soyeong bites her bottom lip and lower her head again. I poke her rib.

"Anyway, where did you learn that?" I ask, just in case to distract her from being moody. Before she could even answer, my phone rings out of nowhere and startled almost all of us. I quickly fish out my phone and check the ID name.

It's from Yongguk.

Frowning, I slide the green one and put the phone on my ear, "Hello"

"Hana"

I flinch at his husky voice and it's sound differently panic for some reason. I have no clue.

"What's wrong, Oppa?" I ask him in completely curious because he is not that easy to call me, unless with an important reason.

He doesn't answer me right away but there is a long breath he is taking through the line. I patiently wait and my eyes shot straight over Daehyun. His face is serious and expressionless. I can't tell what it is, but his gaze looks tense. At the same time, he as if in curiosity, probably because of this person who are calling me, or he is wonder who is this 'Oppa' I'm talking with right now. He does know I only have a sister.

"Hana, I'm sorry. I don't want to freak you out but I think you should know" He pauses, taking a deep sigh again. I focus back at Yongguk's voice. "Something was happened at the school a while ago and it's about your sister" He adds,

"Unnie?" I ask and my heart begin to pound loudly under my chest, telling me it's not a good sign.

"I took your sister to the hospital, and we're here now" He finally tells me. I almost drop down my phone and the blood rush over inside of my body.

"What happened?" My voice is shaky a bit and now, not only Daehyun, but Soyeong and Jongup are looking at me too.

"I will tell you later, can you come over?" Yongguk sounds relax a bit than a minute ago.

"Tell me, which hospital?" I get up and ready to leave.

"Hana, where are you going?" Soyeong stops me and I turn around, noticing she is standing now and her face looks worry and concerns. I put away my phone.

"My sister. Something had happened to her and I need to go there" I don't think my explanation is enough to understand but she still got it well when she nods her head.

"Ok, please be careful" Her voice is fading away.

I only return her with a smile.

"I'm taking you there" Daehyun gets up too from the floor and approach me. I don't object this time and walk off, putting back my phone on my ear. Daehyun follows me and we both get changed into our own clothes back.

...

11.05 PM and the time is showing on the dashboard of Daehyun's car. I wait for him to park his car and I found myself fidget hard on the passenger seat. I even have my fist into ball when they soaked with a sweat on my palms. My mind is messing with a lot of thought, and I can't guess properly what is happening to my sister until brought her to the hospital.

Daehyun on the other hand, has not said anything even after we got into his car. I wonder is he really giving me some spaces for myself. Somehow I respect him for that. However, there's something missing from him now. He doesn't smile like he always does. He even as if avoid my gaze which I found it strange.

His car pull into one of the parking lot and then he shuts the engine right away. I'm hesitating whether to go out or wait for him to do first.

He pulls out the key,

"let's go" He said without looking at me. His voice is low too and he pushes the door open before going out from the car. I do the same and we both walk in to the entrance hospital block.

I was informed by Yongguk that Minjae is not has a serious injury and she is been treating by nurse right now and after that she can go home without staying here. I only be able to breath in relief despite I still don't know what is actually happening. Yongguk is still being a secretive to me and I can't say anything unless I meet him.

There's like an emergency room and we both head over there. I spot Yongguk on one of the benches and I quickly rush over him.

"Yongguk Oppa"

He startled with my voice but when he noticed me come over, he instantly gets up from his seat. I give him a hug, then release it. I observe him and he looks tired and terrible with his hair mess a bit. His black suit coat is not on his body any longer but left only his white button up shirts. It makes me more in confusion.

Daehyun only stands behind me in completely silent. Both his hands placed cooly inside his pockets and he is staring hard over Yongguk.

Yongguk pulls me down on the bench along with himself which following by Daehyun next to me. I'm in between both of them. Yongguk seems a bit bother with Daehyun's presence beside me yet he doesn't complain it. Yongguk looks at me and his voice as if hard to let out. He inhales before he starts it.

"Your sister almost got "

I cup my palm into my mouth with wide eyes, hard to believe at this new. Yongguk feels guilty for some reasons.

"H-how?" I stutter and my body tremble in horrified.

"I don't know, Hana. but I was glad I managed to get there at the right time" He voice sounds rage and furious. My tears roll down my check immediately.

"I shouldn't leave her at the first place" I start to cry and blame myself.

Yongguk panics, "No, it's not your fault, Hana" He pulls me to his embrace and ruffling my hair in concerned before Daehyun could even do anything. The male stiffs and just be able to watch Yongguk comforts me down.

"Shh.. Don't cry, Dongseang.. It's not your fault" Yongguk mumbles, loud enough to make it clear to Daehyun that he doesn't need to worry about it. The male as if can guess what is playing in Daehyun's mind. They both are same age but never meet each other because of different class. Yongguk knows, the boy has a pure feeling that is hiding in his heart to Minjae's sister. He feels the same too, and since Daehyun is a male, it's easier for him to guess it right.

"Hana.."

My name is being called by a familiar voice. I push away Yongguk's body an instant and turn around to be greeted by a figure of my sister. She is not herself anymore like we met before coming to prom. Her dress was ripped a bit at the bottom corner and her body was wrapped by a coat which I believe they are belong to Yongguk. Her face is full with small wounds and her right arm was bandaged neatly, probably sprained badly. I don't know who did this to my sister but I can't stop crying right now. She had been through the situation when I never thought she would be. It's hurt to see it like this.

I run to her and give her a hug as I tight my hands around her body. She seems in shocked.

"Hana, I don't know you came, how did you kno-" she trailed off when her eyes meet with Yongguk's. She looks confused. Yongguk just shows a light smile to her.

I push away and observe her "Unnie, Are you ok? I'm sorry for leaving you"

"I'm fine, hana" She takes a deep breath and I can tell she is enduring how scared she is right now. I feel sorry even more.

My tears rolls down again. Minjae smiles at me then wiping off my tears with her fingers.

"Stop crying kiddo. I'm not dead yet" She jokes off then laughing with a fake.

"Stop joking, you're not really good at it" I scold her without having a deep meaning and I'm not smiling either.

"Oh come on, you should be at home now. Did you lie to me?" She changes the topic and caught me. I stop crying and choke on my saliva. I'm lost of my words before I feel a hand on my shoulder. Thanks god, someone has saved me. I turn over and Yongguk is towering both of us.

"Hana, I will take your sister home, Is that fine?" Yongguk speaks nicely to me. I smile back and nod.

Yongguk nods too, "You can ask your boyfriend to take you home then"

Yongguk's words just make the atmosphere become horibbly silent and awkward. I clear my throat when I see my sister's face in obviously curious.

"Erm.. He's not my boyfriend" I blunt.

Yongguk is quiet for a second then he glances at the male who are still standing at the waiting chairs calmly. His lips break into a smile all of sudden, almost in amusing, then he nods.

"But still, he's going to take you home right?"

"Err.. I guess so" I squint my eyes over Daehyun, and he is back to himself again with shoving his hands inside his pocket pants and having his usual poker face. I scoff secretly. I have an argue to ask Yongguk to take me home too, but thinking of this is his first time facing my sister after watching her for a long time, make me cancel my intention.

"Hmm" That's all I managed to give him.

Yongguk tries not to giggle at my bitter face, then he looks gently at my sister.

"Can I?" He politely asks.

"Thank you" Minjae replies and let Yongguk leads her away, she even gives me a quick glance as if in questioning about something. I know what is she wondering about. First, how did I know Yongguk and second, about this weird guy behind me.

"I love it when he thought, I was your boyfriend" I almost yell when Daehyun's voice vibrate near my ear, shivering me up over his clossness. He puts his hand on my bare shoulder which I'm not realized I left his sweater in the sauna and I didn't know he has come this close to me either. Ah, This guy is insane!

I yank off his hand away "Don't touch me, I've told you already, didn't I? " I look at him unsatisfied. He smiles and shrug.

"One day, when we get married. I'll definitely touch you, even do more than that.. " He is mumbling and walk passed by my shoulder and I choke down by his unbelievably words.

"It won't happen, listen to me, it won't even happen, you ert!" I yell and don't care anymore with people over there. This boy get on my nerves. Realizing he already went out from the block, I quickly rush over him.

Once we are in the car, we become silent all over again. Daehyun the radio and the song from a popular band come out which breaks the quiet atmosphere around us. I don't know if we will go back to the sauna or he will straightly takes me home instead. At the same time, I'm worry about Soyeong, but Jongup was there too. I hope, they are fine. I try to call her and she doesn't answer. I make a sigh. I send her a text message this time, asking about her then throwing my gaze out the window while waiting for her reply. Outside is dark and some shops are readying to close. Daehyun stops at the traffic light when it turned red. My phone vibrates and I look down at my phone, there's a text from Soyeong and she said, she is with Jongup in the bus stop. I breathe out in relief. I know I can count on Jongup.

I stare back at the window and noticed, Daehyun is looking at me through the reflection of the glass window now. So, I turn and meet with his eyes.

"What?" I frown.

He flinches which surprisingly me a bit, then shaking his head with a light smile across his lips. "You're beautiful"

I'm speechless for a second, I thought he would tell me some crazy stories like he did at the sauna. I can feel my whole face burns up due to his compliment which having me in doubt if he is telling me the true or not.

My mind keeps begging me to not believing him, because right now I'm having this dress and tonight is the night of me being different.

"You mean this dress?" I touch the hem of my yellow dress with my fingers and laugh amusingly "Of course, it's beauti-"

"No, I've been enduring to say that to you even since the first time I met you, Hana. I think you're beautiful"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

​​​​​

 

​​