Chapter 7: Who is my partner?

Faking crush on me

 

It's not the last message, but I've got another one at night. I can't sleep when my heart is drumming under my chest. I swipe open my phone and read those words for several times until they get stuck into my brain like a mantra.

What more regret, I let you go, Kang Hana

I know, I shouldn't supposed to feel anything but this flick my heart a bit yet confusing as well. I try to maintain my hatred over him as I ignore the message. I throw my phone beside me then turn my body, laying on my side.

I watch the closed window that only showing darkness. There's no moon and I can't see the stars too. It seems like the black clouds cover all over the sky and going to shed the tears again. I will be accompanied by cold tonight and the sound of the rain.

I close my eyes.

What did he want? 

Why all of sudden he texted me?

Why he is still trying to keep in touch with me?

My eyes shot open and I can't stop my brain for thinking too much. They filled up with bunch of questions that make me hard to sleep.

I shouldn't take them seriously, it's probably he's pulling prank on me or mock me because how fool I was back then. That's make sense, right? So, I don't have to worry. Really, I need to forget it. Even though he was my first love, that's won't change anything. He never likes me either before and now. If he regret then it's nothing to do with me because I have buried him deep enough.

The loud thunder starlted me and I almost jump out from my bed. I placed my palm over my chest to calm them and suddenly a double knock come from my bedroom door. The door open and reveal my sister's face.

"Hana, I want to sleep with you tonight"

I nod at her.

I'm not surprised though nor feeling weird at her sudden presence in my room because she has this phobia over the thunder after what had happened to her friend when she was in primary school. Her friend got hit by lightning and she still can't forget it. 

I glance at her who are coming over with a pillow in her hand and she is pretty in those pink pyjamas. Sometimes, I'm jealous how natural her beauty is. Not like me, I can be pretty too but hardly need more efforts.

I shift a bit and left her some room to get in. She inserts her small body under my blanket and hug her pillow. I just don't say anything and close my eyes.

Another thunder greet our ears again and I feel my sister squeezes herself closer to me before I hear the rain drop one by one then become heavy rain. It's good and I found my comfortable in it as I drift into sleep.

...

 

 Morning, did you sleep well?

From: The stupid jerk

 

He's getting seriusly weird. I keep my phone back into my blazer pocket and focus over Soyeong's words. She is babbling beside me endlessly and I can't process what is she talking about.

I decided, I won't tell Soyeong about the texts from my Ex. It's not because I want to keep secret from her. It's just it will be good if she doesn't know. She gonna attack him immediately. 

We are heading to our school and the weather come out nice today despite the rain was heavy last night.

"Are you even listening?" 

I snap from my thought when Soyeong elbows me. I turn to her and found her frustrated face. I grin widely.

"No"

Soyeong face palmed by my honest word. 

"This girl" She mutters. "That's mean, I've been wasted my saliva and you didn't listen?"

"Err.. I guess so" I giggle. "Seriously, what were you talking about?" I ask again, trying not to offend her.

She seems done with me "Nothing, just forget it"

"Eh? Why?" I innocently ask.

"Because you've ruined my mood, Kang Hana" She grits her teeth unsatisfactory then adjust her glasses.

"Really? Or you were talking about Moon Jongup?" I smirk.

"Yah.. there's nothing about the boy" her tone sounds nervous. Her face slowly turn into red in embarrassed. 

"But you are shy now" I once more.

"KANG HANA" She yells loud, earning crowd's attention since we are in side road. She quickly covers and giving a flare glance over me and she's serious.

"Okay, okay.. I'm sorry." I said.

"I thought you like Jongup" I mutter afterward.

"OMG HANA-"

I instantly escaped myself as run away from Soyeong's outrage and laugh like there is no tomorrow.

I always wish a good day in every morning and Soyeong is a part of it. I never want to miss the chance of cherish her because she is my everything. I rather have one friend than dozen friends that having me in doubt if they are going to stay with me or not.

We both arrived the school and breath out a relief because the gate still being open widely. It's like they are welcoming us proudly. We walk up into the block, heading to our class. Half of the students already filled up the shcool while half probably on their way here. The moment we saunter through the corridor, I spot a familiar figure in front of me, walking in our direction with his bag hangs around his shoulders.

He is looking at me before his lips break into warm smile. I frown over him. Does he is not feeling tired showing his smile? Seriously, it's look too easy and I hate it. Good thing, he got that perfect face or else I might had a nightmare for months.

"Hana" 

I turn my head to Soyeong beside me after Daehyun brushed past me.

"The boy that just smiled to you, got me curious" She said, furrowing her eyebrows.

"What do you mean?" I tilt my head and wait for the next words.

"Is not he the same guy saved you before in the canteen?" She asks and she is disoriented as well. 

"Yeah" I half-hearted admit.

"And the boy from yesterday that sat right next to you, right?"

"Right, but seriously, what are you trying to tell me actually?" I start to feel irritation. I don't like much talk about the boy.

"Because he is something. I saw him keeps looking at you during our lunch yesterday"

I feel my stamoch shrink for a second. in a way I can't really describe.

"Are you sure?" I ask one more for confirmation but a tiny part of me want to take it seriously.

"Not really sure what kind of stare he given you, but there must be something. I don't want to say it anyway since you seem aren't interesting about it" Soyeong suddenly squints her eyes into tiny and give me a mock look.

"What are you? A soothsayer?" I show her unsatisfied face and she guffaws in amused.

"You can call me that, since I'm expert in anything" 

I roll my eyes, acting like wanting to throw out over her words.

"If you want to know, he had confessed to me, saying that he likes me" I told her.

This time Soyeong rolls up her eyes, "And typical Hana, you don't believe him, am I right?"

I smile, I couldn't agree more about it. That's absolutely right. I don't believe him and never believe in any guys anymore. 

....

In the 3rd period of the lesson, my class is getting loud and loud and it makes me pissed off yet I can't say anything. The next teacher is not coming yet, that's why the whole class become wild, especially when they are yelling and laughing like a monkey craving for food. The boys are the most of it. Oh gosh, can't they be quite and do their things silently?

I released a sigh under my breath and the homework I'm working on now seems incomplete when my brain jammed by annoying noisy. I thought doing it early can give me a relax time when I go home but seem like the plan didn't go as I want. That's the reason I hate so much making any plans because they never worked.

The door burst open and showing up our male teacher. He teaches us science subject but today he wants us to be in the class instead of the lab, that's why.

All my classmates get into their seats in blink of eyes and I'm so amazed to how power he is until they are being this quiet. Perhaps, Mr Hong is serious type. He's lack in making joke during the lesson. It's like he doesn't want to start it first, it might end up his students found he is easy going and be unfocused on his lesson. I think that's better, my classmates, especially boys they are like to take advantage somehow which not good.

"Okay, listen up kids, I don't want to talk long. Today, I can't teach you-"

There's short voice of cheering up, but after noticing how grimace Mr Hong is, they all remain silent again. Of course, I'm not one of them.

That's stupid because I can smell something fishy in him and that's totally not a good one. 

"I just want to assign you with one assignment"

The long groan come out from the boys while the girls whine in dissatisfied, except me.

Told ya..

There's no way he's letting us free.

"I will be gone for two weeks, and can't possibly teach you guys during the period. So, I give you work. I don't want to let you guys just doing useless things when I'm not around sooner." He elaborated to us.

They make faces but didn't object anything. They are too afraid of him, including me too. 

Mr. Hong look at our faces one by one. The way his gaze went to us as if he is not really putting trust entirely on us, despite we didn't say a word.

"For this assignment, it's hard to do alone, especially the time I given you only a month. So, you have to find your partner. I'm out of it, you can choose whoever you want as much as you comfortable with your partner, got it?"

"Got it!" The room echoed with our simultaneous voices. I can hear they are whispering to each other, planning to pair up together. I quietly sigh and twist the pen in between my fingers.

"Hush everyone!"

And they did.

"There is only two themes I got it for you. It's about life, you can pick neither animal or plants. Think wisely and good luck. I'm anticipating the great work from you"

After that, he walks out from our class, leaving a real burden on my head. I don't like when I have to find a partner. I try not to mess my own hair as I snort loudly.

Only if Soyeong same class with me. I would never have these partner issues. That's driving me insane. I slam my face on my table and my forehead hit on it which hurt so much. Stupid me.

"Hana~"

I heard a husky yet cute voice in my ears. I lift up my head and found one of my classmates. He is the naughty one in our class, Yook Sungjae.

"What?" I respond coldly.

He chuckles by my reaction. I look at him with my straight face and slight annoyed.

He tried to hit on me before but when I nearly accept him, he asked me to tell everything about my sister if we dated together. It was obvious, so I ignored him.

"Let's be my partner" He said.

I open my mouth to refuse but he cuts me off immediately.

"There's no one left except me" He smiles with a tiny smirk in it. 

OH GOD, that's really nightmare. I REALLY HAVE NO CHOICE.

Sungjae suddenly touches my hand which is in the top of my desk. I recoil in shock. I know he is kind of good looking guy but his attitude totally freaks me out.

"Sorry boy, but not sorry. She is my partner"

Someone appears and grab his shoulders. We both look up and to be greeted by Jongup's serious face.

"Bro, put your dirty hand off and I got her first" Sungjae gets up from the chair he were sitting before which I think he grabbed it from another desk.

"But Hana wants me" Jongup steps closer and facing the arrogant guy in front of him. The gap of their faces is quite thin. I only silently watch then in wordless and of course they distracted all of my classmates.

"Who told you that?" Sungjae seems won't give up.

"Hana" He simply stated.

"Am I right, hana?" Jongup runs his gaze to me.

"Er.." I don't know what to say and a bit confused by the situation. Did I really say wanting to be his partner? 

Sungjae is turning his head to me, waiting. I look at him in dilemma before I move my gaze to Jongup and he is making his eyes into something, as if trying to tell me a thing.

And now I get it.

"Sorry Sungjae, I think I'm with Jongup" I speak, faking a guilty smile.

He smiles back to me but I notice he is griping his fist secretly "It's okay, baby" he winks then walk off from my desk.

I breathe out in relief. Jongup flops himself beside me, at the same chair Sungjae sat a minute ago.

"What was that?" I asks.

Jongup turns his head to look at me with his small eyes. "What what? I'm saving you, idiot"

"I know that, but the problem is you." I point at him.

"What's wrong with me?" He frowns at me.

"You said you're not interesting in any girls. So, what's now? You helped me for what? I don't get it. Do you like me? Oh my god! You can't, Jongup!! I can't accept- Ouch!" 

I got a hit on my forehead.

"What are you babbling about? Did you forget to eat your medicine? Aish, this is why I hate girls.. too much whining and stuffs" Jongup groans under his breath as throwing his gaze at the front.

I rub the sore part and pout.

"Then, what is it? You better say it clear"

"There's nothing. I just give you a hand. You look uncomfortable around him and plus, are you really want to get stuck with him for a month?" He said.

I remain quiet, and of course I don't want that.

He makes a sigh. "Let's be honest, I don't have partner too. I guess you are the right one since I don't trust anyone in this class"

"How is it?" He asks, for agreement.

It takes me for a while.

"Okay, I'm in" I agree.

This is interesting! I should tell Soyeong as soon as possible and get her jealous! 

 

 

 

 


This is image for Kim Soyeong: Hana's closer friend

 

P/s: Before you'll read another chapters sooner, I just want you to understand the story well. Hana had TWO EX-Boyfriends. The one I gave you the hint, he is one from bap which The SECOND one. The FIRST one is texing her all of sudden. Don't be confused. I won't give any hints about the first one. it might can be unpredictable, So be prepare~ (lol).