Chapter 20: Protect

Faking crush on me

 

It feels wrong all of sudden when I break our long gaze between me and Daehyun. My heart still drum hard under my chest and I realized, someone is setting his eyes on me right now. I slightly turn around and my conscience is right. 

There's Kim Himchan is sitting two tables ahead from ours. Beside him, as always his friend Bang Yongguk who are keeping drink on his seat. No lie though, both of them are really quite handsome with the black suit wrapped around their masculine bodies. They are surrounded by pretty girls but their expressions look uninterested at all. I understand Yongguk, because his heart is belong to someone else, but Himchan, he just makes me having in deep thought for a second. Is he still has a hope on me? Or he is stunning by my unusual appearance tonight? I can't tell. But, all I know, he never saw me wear something like this, which probably that's the reason.

Whatever it is, I still feel uncomfortable when he looks at me like that. I take my glass of Orange juice again then sipping them until empty. I slowly notice this prom is not really my thing, so I get up from my seat.

"Where are you going?" Daehyun glances up to me, slightly frown.

"To get some air perhaps" I say in nonchalant and shrug, meeting his sparkly gaze under the light.

He is looking at me unreadable, but I just sort of ignore him and take off his sweater before wearing again properly. I don't plan to return it back to him right now. The cold is crazy, I don't get it how they managed to wear such a reveal dress in this weather. Even though there's heaters in this large room, I still can feel the cold all around, sinking into my skin.

I look at him again, "Go find a girl and asking her to dance." I obverse the dance floor. It's slowly getting hot when they are so into over it. I scoff silently.

On the other side, Daehyun looks amused by my words, his fingers randomly playing with his attractive full lips in front of me.

I roll my eyes when I got nothing from him nor his response. I start to arrange my step over the entrance and there's one of our female teacher standing by the door with a small table next to her. She is charging of guarding the students tonight. Her facial expression is not that good, it's completely serious and she is around thirty age. Sometimes, she can be really fierce and almost all the students are afraid of her. Bad thing, because they put her here to do this job.

Once I approached her, she already gives me that intense look which I grimace immediately. I remain my face to look as calm as I can as breath out.

"Kid, you can't go out from here until this event finish" She tells me, crossing her arms over her chest.

I stop right in front of her, and facing her with a brave. "Urg, I'm not feeling well" I lied, pulling a force smile.

She held my gaze strong as if reading me if I'm telling true or otherwise. I try harder to be gloom as possible, luckily my fear of her has made my face turn pale a bit. I can tell, she will let me off but then her gaze scoots behind me. Her corner lips turned upright before looking at me back.

"Are you sure?" She mockingly said, gesturing me to look behind me.

I frown and quickly look over my shoulder and my eyes enlarged. Behind me, Daehyun is standing still with his hands shoved inside his pockets. I don't know, he is following me. This guy!

I look at her again and wave my hands in front of my face "No, No! It's not like how you're thinking. I don't know him at all, he's even not my classmate. Please, let me off. My head is really hurt, Mrs Jang" I hold my head, upgrading my acting.

I can hear a small chuckle behind me. He even laughs at me. I wish I could turn around and smack his mouth. I'm pissed off.

Her eyes darts to Daehyun and his laugh died instantly. "You, where are you going?" 

I turn again to look at him and his face is calm, don't seem like he is in nervous. 

"My family suddenly called me, and they want me home, urgent" He casually tells her. 

My eyebrows wrinkle over his words, sounding a bit weird. He glanced at me with the corner of his eyes and I gasp. He plays same trick like what I just did now, when his lips almost turn into a wicked smirk.

"Mrs Jang, may I?" I grab her attention back. She looks at me in dilemma.

She inhales eventually, "Ok, kid. I'll let you, but if I find out you're lying to-"

"Thank you!" I cut her right away, bowing for several times "Thank you very much"

I promptly yank the pen on the table and begin to sign out but she smacks down her palm onto the paper which is preventing me as well. 

"Who gonna take you home?" She asked firmly.

I bite my inner cheek, running out of an idea. I think for a second then start to open my mouth again.

"With a bus, my house is not that far" I grin to shove off my stammer. "It's about fifteen minutes" That's the bigger lies I've done, in fact my house almost out of the town.

"Ok" Her voice turned slightly soft, removing her hand. I found myself hesitation and quickly dropping my sign under my name. Without waiting any longer, I dash out from the large room in flurry. Don't care about that crazy guy either. 

Outside, the first thing I'm looking for is Soyeong's figure. My small bag, I hang over my left shoulder before I notice she has been sitting in a beach alone, looking up through the night sky above her. I release a breath that I was holding a while ago. My pulse is running fast, so do my heartbeat.

My feet slows the pace and approach her. She is wearing her coat, which I bet she brought it from her house. At least, she is smarter than me. Gladly, Daehyun gave me a sweater. It's actually smell nice and manly. I personally love it. He has a good taste and fancy. Who are you, Jung Daehyun?.

To be honest, I never dig about him. He comes and mess with my life and all I do, I push him away over and over again but he seems never tired of it. He deals with it in so glorious. Somehow, I'm impressed but my ego is too high to even break it down. 

I spot a familiar car, not quite far from when Soyeong is sitting. It's not really caught my attention honestly. I mean, the person over there. He is leaning his back against the side car and as always, his phone glued in his hand. I wonder, why is he here anyway. He was supposed to be with Daehyun inside. I can tell, he was coming with his housemate, since there's Daehyun's car.

I shrug it off and flop myself right next to Soyeong. She jumps a bit over my abrupt presence.

"Yah, you scared me!" Unfortunately, I got a slap on my shoulder.

I ignore her and quickly bumped my shoulder against hers. "I see, that's why you don't want to get inside, huh?"

I give her a naught look and she returns me with a deep frown. "What the heck are you talking about?"

I playfully mimic her then start to speak again "Eyy.. Don't pretend, I know what you did there" I say in teased tone. Her face grows confused and her eyebrows almost connected with each other.

"Hana, I think you are sick because I really don't have any idea of what you're referring" She grits her teeth, slightly piss off. I laugh then point my finger to Jongup's figure, who are wearing a simple dark green t-shirt with a coat suit outside. His outfit kind of irregular. Who the hell wears like that?

Immediately, she runs her gaze to the direction and her eyes open wide. She turns to me again "Seriously Hana, I didn't know he was there"

I tilt my head in doubt, "Are you sure?" still in slight teased mode.

She quickly crosses her hands into 'X' and shake her head. Then, she breathe out " I already sighed out, seem like the prom is more boring than I thought."

"Boring, because you don't have a partner" I reply wisely. She slowly nods, totally agree with me "Right"

"If you ask Jongup to be your date, you probably changed your mind about it" I grin.

She slaps my lap. Hard. I chuckle.

"I told you the truth. I really didn't know. I've been here quite long and just waiting for you guys to come out" She explains, looking up again at the full moon that bright clear. She seems don't bother to look at Jongup or sneak a single glance over him. It looks like, she is uninterested any longer. I throw my gaze over him and unexpectedly, our eyes meet together before he looks down at his phone again. 

Jongup aware of her presence here, but I can't put my finger on him yet. He probably just noticed us. I mean, I can't believe if he might have been watching Soyeong before I come here. It's not so Moon Jongup or I've missed up some sides of him.

I've learned, Jongup actually is hard to predict. He doesn't show much expression on his face. So, I can't really read him. I bet, everyone can't.

"What's the point you are coming here in the first place?" I join her, observing the moon.

She presses her lips into line and sigh. "I don't know" She trailed off. "I might come to find out"

"It doesn't work that way, unless you come here to enjoy yourself" I genuinely remark. She remains silent, lowering her head watching the ground instead.

"I know right" She mutters again, then look at me.

"Yah, you're making me look like a culprit" She pouts. I can't help but laugh at her words.

"Yah, you're even worse. You forced me to come here, and I basically come for no reason" I spit out back to her.

A rush of wind pass by and we both cuddle ourselves while shivering.

"I come here for Hana"

A husky voice greeted our eardrums and we both jump in surprised. I turn my head around and meeting with glossy eyes of Jung Daehyun.

"You! What the hell are you doing here?" My voice goes into a high tone as I get up to face him, who are standing right behind a bench.

But he doesn't freak out, he just narrows his eyes over me, smiling.

Soyeong on other hand, nudging me on the arm "It's not that a bit too harsh?"

I bite my lower lips.

"Do you want me to give you both a ride, going home?" He didn't ask me, instead turning his gaze on my friend. He might expected me that I will reject his offer right away. 

Beside me, Soyeong in dilemma and for a second she gives a brief glance to Jongup. Is she trying to avoid him? I'm observing her in curious. She looks at Daehyun again, and I can tell. She is going to reject him.

"Err..-"

"There's two hours to go before the event end" He cuts her off, widening his smile across his lips.

She squints at me, "Your sister.." She trailed off.

I know what she is referring. We can't go home unless my sister takes us. I have no choice. I sigh hard under my breath before I give her an unnoticed nod. There's a hard force in her smile. 

"Okay" She certainly mutters to Daehyun in front of us.

He sneaks a glance over me then nodding. His golden smile never leave from his lips either. I secretly make a face to him and he holds back his snigger behind his smile.

"Then, Let's go" His voice sounds hyper for some reasons. He walks ahead first, being followed by us as heading to his car. Jongup doesn't budge even though he noticed us who are approaching in his way.

"I can't believe you just stand here without getting inside" Daehyun says once we arrived there.

"I never say to come here in the first place, hyung" Jongup mumurs, staying his eyes on the screen phone. Behind me, Soyeong is watching her feet instead as if there's the most interesting thing for her. I press my lips together.

"Whatever"  Daehyun replies, shoving his hand in his pocket before taking out his key.

"You drive" He hands it to Jongup. He blinks for a second then grab it anyway. Instantly, he eyes both me and Soyeong back and forth in questioning. I just give him a timid smile.

"They just need a ride" Daehyun says, pulling open the backseat door. No need to think any further, of course it's for me, when he gestures me to get in. 

I try not to snort upon noticing I can't totally protest about it. There's Jongup and Soyeong with us and I don't want to appear weird to them.

I climb in and wait for Soyeong to do the same. But, it's not her to hop in with me, instead Daehyun himself joins me in the backseat. I wide my eyes. Freak out.

Seeing my shocked face, he throws me his goofy grin with an innocent expression plastered on his face. I quickly scoot my gaze outside and found a pair of figures completely stand rigid, frozen and blinking. I want to laugh at both of them somehow, then Jongup gets himself in the driver seat while soyeong still in the kind of state.

I mouth her to get in and finally she did, full with reluctance. I thought, she is excited about it but her expression says otherwise. It's not like she hates it, but she is like embarrassed of him. I guess, it's about the picture she was mistook send to him before, which had caused her refusing to face or meet him.

Jongup starts the engine and nope of us utter anything. I'm watching Jongup pulls the gear then drive on the road after pedaling the gas. Soyeong throws her gaze outside of the window, while the car pull away and getting out from school area. I've informed my sister already about us leaving early and lied that we are going to take a bus as our ride. Seem likes she doesn't suspect anything. I breathe out. 

I embrace myself tight, shivering. I never wear such a dress like this before, especially outside in the night. Daehyun notices my uncomfortable movement on my seat.

"Jongup-ah, turn up the heater" He demands all of sudden.

I look at him, surprised. He just returns me with a simple smile, in his eyes show the real concerned that I never relieved.

"I'm cold too" He mutters all of sudden, almost in whisper. I'm embarrassed, I thought it was only for me.

"I've have been turned as maximum as I can already" Jongup mutters, then his eyes distracted to look at my friend for a second. She is wrapping her arms around her body, just same position like mine, but her eyes glued strong on the window, doesn't really care it. She is the longest one staying outside a while ago.

"Hyung, I think I know what the place that can warm us right away." Jongup glances over his Hyung through the review mirror as giving a suggestion.

"Wanna go? It's still early though" Jongup adds, focusing on his driving again.

Daehyun doesn't answer immediately, but look at me for my reaction. I just shrug, signaling that I'm okay with it. I tap Soyeong by her shoulder from behind and she just gives me a short 'hmm'. Then, I look at Daehyun back, nodding.

"Okay," He says to Jongup. "Where's the place anyway?" He curiosity asks.

"Just wait and see" He casually mutters, making an abrupt U-turn across the street.

...

Jjimjilbang. That's an actual place Jongup took us. It's a sauna and I've came once with my family, when I was in elementary school. It's actually a warm and relax place for us. Me and Soyeong changed into the pajamas they gave us, tossing our dress to the locker and removed the whole of our make up. Jongup and Daehyun go to take the bath.

All the payment had made by Daehyun. Ah, that guy did it again. 

We even have the towel hat over our heads and by now, I can see Soyeong is a bit excited. Her bare face is fresh like mine. I'm happy I didn't reject Jongup's offer. It's a great idea of him.

We head to sleep hall and decide to wait them there. I've ordered some eggs for us too. Gladly, there's not many people in here. Some are sleeping, while others just relaxing and talking comfortably with their friends or family. We sit cross-legged in the corner, a bit far from those people who are sleeping and I start to crack the egg before peeling them. Soyeong just watches the television that hang up in the wall.

After done, I give one to her and peel another one for me.

"Why are you being cold to Jongup?" I ask out of nowhere.

She flinches, the egg she is holding stop mid-air before making to . She glances to me in nervous "I'm not"

"Really?" I don't look up at her, while focusing my eyes at the brown egg instead.

"You looked like one" I continue. There's a moment of silence. I squint at her and she is eating the egg slowly, as if in a deep thought.

"I don't want to look obvious" She mutters all of sudden.

"Why? You don't like him anymore?" I curiously ask, having a bite of my egg.

She shakes her head while adjusting her glasses, "Not like that. I just.." She trailed off. "I don't want him to see me like a cheap girl, chasing over him and all. I've embarrassed myself before and I don't want it to happen twice" 

Seem like my conjecture is true. I chuckle then shove an entire egg in my mouth, chewing fast then swallow down my throat.

"It's okay, though. It's going to be best ever experience to you" I giggle again.

She is about to slap my thighs and quickly I jerk away, but unfortunately, it hits the bowl of our eggs and they are rolling down around the floor, scattering.

Instantly, I catch them one by one while crawling. On the other hand, Soyeong bursts of quiet laugh behind me, covering from become louder.

It's annoying!

"I swear, I'm going to-" I was about to catch the last one while mumbling but stop halfway when someone got that from me instead. I watch his bare foot in front of me and look up at the person. 

Pap!

He cracks the egg right on the top of my head.

"Arh!"

My hand automatically touch my sore head and groan hard which making me flop down on my . Daehyun walks past me then setting himself down in front of Soyeong. I grit my teeth, especially at those expressionless face he is showing right now.

I'm about to crawl back to them, readying with the posture.

"Don't do that. Get up and walk, Hana" Daehyun suddenly gives me a surprised warning, almost shouting. He is not looking over me, instead peeling the egg in his hand.

I grow irritation, remembering what had he done to me a minute ago and now he tries to order me around. 

"Why? Why?" My tone sounds rough and unsatisfactory.

There's a few seconds of silence between us, then very calmly, he states "I can see your "

Immediately, I fall back on my and blush madly. Soyeong presses her lips harder from laughing out loud. He turns to look at me, a mischievous smirk appears on his lips before eating his egg without turning away.

"You!" I get up and walk fast to him.

I thought he is going to run away but, he just sit there and open his hands widely as if I will hug him. I slap his hand away, flopping myself beside Soyeong with an angry face. He laugh smoothly and I growl, ignoring him.

"Did my really showing?" I lean in to Soyeong and whisper low, being curious because we are wearing shorts. My hand pulls down a bit. it doesn't reach my knee to be honest.

She giggles in amused, then shaking her head "He just lied, there's something else behind it"

I narrow my eyes, "What's that?"

"Once you open your heart, you'll definitely understand it" She smiles.

 

 

 

 

 


 

I never go to korea, especially Jjimjilbang. but I did some reserched about it, hope it helps huhu

Bye!