Chapter 23: Caught

Faking crush on me

After the last period, the bell spreads around the air as a sign the school is over for today. I head off to the lockers and let Soyeong waits for me at the front gate instead. All students rush through the hall and everyone are excited to go home as always.

I briskly squeeze myself into an ocean of the students then slip to the lokers place. The crowd suffocates me so much and I curse inside of my heart. I should let them leave first, but I didn't for today. What a mistake. Then, I inhale deeply before letting go.

I open my locker and draw some books for studying at home later. Apparently, some tests are going to be held soon, so I need to work hard on it to get a good grade. I mean, at least a better one.

The students are getting less time by time and when I'm about to close the locker door back. Suddenly, someone slam his hand against the metal locker beside my head and a whisper blow on my ears from behind.

"Hi, sweetheart"

By the voice, my body slumps in relax but an anger automatically boil up in me. This boy never fail to bother me again and again, even no matter how many times I warn him to. I don't turn over him instead stay rigid by my own spot. His body is trapping me between the locker. I sigh loudly.

"What do you want, Sungjae?" I ask in completely uninterested.

"Nothing, I just want to greet this beautiful girl" He says in a tease tone. I roll my eyes right away.

"You're talking about that prom night, right?" I turn around eventually but, it seems like a mistake when I realized how close we are right now. Even though I hate him, I still can't shake my feeling to how nervous I am right now. Damn it, I am being a girl and get nervous with this small thing the boy did. I swallow my saliva down my throat and this boy is tall as almost as Daehyun that I need to lift my head a bit.

"Well, that girl is gone. Maybe gone for forever" I shaky mutter.

Sungjae breaks into a smile and watch me without replying me. I panic he seems like teasing me again when there's no sign for him to move away.

"You know, you mistook my girl again" A voice interrupts us all of sudden. Both me and Sungjae turn our head to the side and Daehyun's figure greet us. He is leaning his back against the locker and just right beside me and his eyes narrow down over the boy that stand in front of me. His hand come across and push Sungjae's hand that glued on the locker. The boy smirk at it and step backwards.

"She's not gone, because my eyes never lie with it again" That's the last words Sungjae said to me before walking away from us. I watch him in confusion.

"Somehow, I'm glad you're stupid" His voice greeted my eardrums again. I scoff hard.

"If you're coming here to annoy me, then you better go now" I face my locker back and make a double check if there's something I forget to take.

"I need to tell you something" Now he become serious again when his voice doesn't sound like he is playing.

I shut the locker close and turn to him "What is it?" it seems like I got his bait.

"Come here, I can't let people know it" His voice drops low in a quiet whisper and I blink in curious. It sounds like an important one, plus he is making a real suspense expression across his face.

I hesitate for a second.

"Don't worry, I won't try anything funny to you" He convinces me with confident and his face still remain the same, absolutely making me wonder harder.

Finally, I lean in and let him tell me the thing he wants to. I give him my ear.

He inhales deep before whispering "One day, you'll be mine"

I'm speechless and before I could do anything he walks off, leaving me alone. I can feel his smirk from here and my heart almost stop for it. I found myself wordless afterwards.

I look in his way from a far but only his back facing me. In my mind start to be a choas. First, Sungjae and now Daehyun. They both sound the same, speak the same and now I'm confused. I can't tell which one is real. I can't trust it. Sungjae is the obvious one trying to use me before by using those sweet talking method and I know it which the reason I avoid him more and more. Same goes with Daehyun, but his reason never come clear. He talks to me nice, being a gentleman as well and being a kind man that try to protect me, however when I tried to look for his actual reason behind it, there's hiding somewhere. I'd just assumed that he likes my sister, that's the point he is being all nice to me. I've seen the way he did before, you know my exes. Being nice but betrayed me. I feel an anger build up within me.

For some reasons, I should stop him, stop Jung Daehyun.

I forgot that I'm still looking for his weakness. That's main for it. The game is not over yet.

...

I'm sprawling on my single bed when suddenly, a click sound from the door being opened. I squint my eyes in the direction and saw my sister with her cute Hello Kitty pyjamas on her body.

"Hana.. Er.." She stands stiff by the frame door quite long. I don't try to move even an inch due to the laziness that took over my body since I set myself down into the bed. However, I adjust my posture a bit into a comfortable lying.

"Why?" I ask in monotone.

She bites her inner cheek in hesitant.

"I want to ask you something, erm.. About the guy that night who saved me.. " She trailed off, waiting for me to respond or figure out by myself.

My eyebrows wrinkle deep across my face before I get it what is she trying to tell me "Ah.. Yongguk Oppa! You mean him, right?"

I clap my hands once and get up into sit position, my mood raised.

Her face turns shape of pink "Yeah"

"Why with him?" I tilt my head a bit.

She inhales lightly and approach my bed, "Actually, I have a favor to ask you, if you don't mind" Her tone is not sure a bit while setting herself down at the chair of my study table.

"Sure" I straighten my body and facing in her way, grinning wider.

"I need his number" She says so fast that I almost misheard of it. Immediately, Her eyeballs run somewhere, avoiding mine. I have a few seconds to take in before burst out of laughter.

"Daebak! You're going to ask him out? Seriously?" My eyes open bigger in sparkle glossy. I'm in shocked and didn't see that coming at all.

"Yah! It's not like that!" She begins to yell panicky and her voice shaky hardly beneath her breath.

I tiny my eyes in suspension which breaking her into a nervous sweat.

"Yah, I told you, I'm not, ok?.. I just.. "She stammers and stumbles on her words "You know, I just.. want to.. thank him.. " She looks up at my ceiling. "for saving me" She adds in a low voice.

"I got it" I clap my hands, then inhale in excitement.

"You don't need to worry, I'll give to you" I nods.

"Thanks Hana, by the way, you guys seem.. close. How do you know him?" Her face changed into between seriousness and curious. I know she is going to ask this eventually and that's why I have prepared the answer for myself in the first place.

I lean in a bit and she does the same before slowly I lift my index finger and put it on my lips "Shh.. It's a secret"

She jerks away her head and snort out loud. "You! it's not funny" Her face crumpled irritation.

I laugh hard on my bed and let my sister furious in front of me. It's somehow fun to . She gets up and the sound of the chair been pushed behind, echoing around my room.

"I think you're falling in love for the first time~" I sing song to her and she scoffs.

"Shut up!" She exclaims then rush to the door before slip off from my room. Before I could do anything, she pokes her head through my door again "Don't forget his number ok?" then shutting the door close for me.

I click my tongue right away "It's easy to guess anyway"

I take my phone in my hand before my fingertips run through the screen, copying the number to her message. After done, I make a call to someone.

"Yoboseyo, Hana" A deep voice greeted my ear and a smile plastered on my mouth so quite large. I know, I can't help it.

"Oppa, I don't mean to disturb you but I think there's something good is coming to you." There is a silent on the other line that I thought I might do a wrong call.

"What do you mean, Hana?" I can feel he is frowning over it. I bite my inner bottom lip to not laughing.

"Something miracle, you're going to thank me later Oppa, I swear"

"I don't under-"

"Good, don't worry. You will soon. Just wait.. and Good night, bye!" then I cut the line instantly and make him wondering by himself. I slam my face on my pillow and have a little fun on my bed.

The next morning I got a text message from Yongguk and he did thanks me for it. To be honest, I didn't expect my sister would be that fast but, seriously. My sister seems interesting in Yongguk and I'm glad he doesn't need such an effort to get her, instead she is the one chase after him. I can't wait to see those man-to-be guys are crying over it when their princess had been took away by a real prince. Should I make some fictions about it? Haha

...

I slam a strawberry milk in front of Jongup's table and he looks up at me in curious. I'm calmly standing beside him.

"What's this?"

"A drink for you, my treat for our project" I grin mockly at him. He mimics my expression too. "If you really want to treat me, you better get me something more delicious than this kid drink" He pushes the drink away.

I grit my teeth, "Can't you learn how to appreciate people's gift?" I try not to choke his throat in front of a few students that hang out in this small cafeteria.

"I will if you give me more special" He still sounds arrogant.

"I can't believe this" I whisper, then I see him put down his phone and something catch my attention on the right time when his screen phone still flash a light.

"Heol!" I almost yell loud. This is surprising.

Noticing his mistake, he quickly snatches his phone back and hide it inside his pocket. His cooler face start to change after being caught by me.

"I knew it" I mutter, the joy kick in within me.

"Y-yah, Hana-ah. You better-"

"Chill, Moon Jongup. I'll keep it low. You can count on me" I wink, convincing him immediately, but he looks like he can't trust on me entirely when the worry growing obviously on his face. I think this is my opportunity.

"Still want to complain about this children drink?" I lift my chin proudly. Jongup wants to open his mouth but shut it back, knowing he lose completely.

"Here, drink up, ok? Congrats to our project that got higher marks" I smile while shoving back the drink to him and walk off leaving the room, totally making him hopeless for a second.

Once I'm outside, I cup my palm to my mouth and I feel goosebumps all over my body that still not disappearing. Finally the untold truth behind him is being revealed. I know he had been keeping his eyes on her. I know he has started to like my best friend since I don't know and I know, that wallpaper he is using is actually a picture of Soyeong was mistaking sent to him.

And one thing I don't know is, should I tell Soyeong about it?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Heol: 

Heol is a slang word used in expressing shock, surprise and/or sarcasm