Chapter 19: The prom

Faking crush on me

 

I slam my down over the edge of my bed, feeling all hopeless. The yellow dress already wrapped around my tiny body but my hair and my bare face are uncompleted. My shoulders slump in surrender. I don't know what should I do next, how to do my hair, how to put on any makeup, or how to dress like a princess. Oh my god. I'm doomed, totally doomed. In fact, I'm pretty at stuff like this. I throw my back onto my bed and have a little metal breakdown, messing my wet hair from bath more and more.

I'm busying messing with myself until I heard my door being knocked twice from outside. I stop what am I doing and instantly sit upright again, adjusting my dress. My expression quickly turned into normal. I have an argue to curse when I almost can't pull myself together.

My sister pops out her head through the door and looking for me. She is dressing nice with her straight hair fall down over her shoulders. I wonder as my eyebrows wrinkle deep.

"You know, I decided to go too" She timidly says when noticing my obviously confused face. There's a slight amuse in her facial expression.

My mouth form a circle, don't know how to react. She must have some courage to join too after I said that we are going without a partner date.

"Tell Soyoeng to wait up in her house instead, I'm going to give you two a ride. We can go together" She tells me, smiling. The door she pushes widely, revealing her full image. I'm stunned. She is very pretty with those black dress and a red rope wrapped around her waist dress, her shoulders exposed when only strip show on it. Mine is sleeveless too but not that thin strip like hers. Other than than, my dress reaches under my knee while hers is above them but not that quite short. Sighing, Just looking over her amazing appearance makes me feeling slightly down to go over there. I must look a worst one.

"Okay" I mutter bitterly. My sister seems like noticing my sour face that I've not realized for showing much in front of her. She steps inside my room and close the door.

"Do you want me to give you some help?" She approaches me.

I'm wordless for a second "help for what?" Like a fool, I ask back. She shakes her head, then touch my messy hair in her finger.

"Are you seriously going to go with this kind of hair, hana?" She chuckles, letting the strands go.

"Oh, Shut up" I feel a heat on my face, embarrassed. I know we both are different. So, such a painful to compare us even we are sharing same blood.

"Wait a second" She suddenly says, turning around and walk out of my room in flurry. I blink my eyes and drop down my body again on the bed, my gaze goes straight in the white ceiling. I fumble my phone beside me then send some messages to Soyeong, informing her about what my sister told me a minute ago.

There, like five minutes long, my sister returned to my room again, bringing along with her hair dryer and iron waver hair. The moment I'm having fun of sprawling on my soft bed, suddenly my sisters pull my hands to get up and I growl in laziness. 

She seems like a bit frustrated over my behavior but don't get mad yet. I innocently grin over her and she just take my wrist and drag me over to my dressing table, shoving me down on the chair which forcing me to face the mirror.

I pout, but remain stay on the spot. My sister start to work on it, plugging the switch on of her hair dryer before drying my hair off. I just watch her through the reflection without utter anything. Then, after done, she begin to chance into the next thing. She even managed to put something on my hair. A little by little she takes my hair then twist it for several of times. I can feel Like I was in salon. I nearly giggle at my own thought. My sister squints over me with a frown. I just show her a playful smile. She decided to ignore me and keeps twisting my hair.

I almost fell asleep when my sister come again in my room. I don't have any idea since when she was done doing my hair but just now, her hand carries her small bag. I blink and observe her put it them on the table.

She zipped open it and my eyes quickly glance over it. There's a big amount of her makeup stuffs. My eyes sparkling in amazed, but weirdly I never saw her put on such a thick make up before. 

"Are you even using them? There's a lot" I voice up after a few argues within me. 

"Not all really" She perfunctory answers me while her hands are busying dig her makeup bag. I only watch her with expressionless.

"What's that?" 

She shrugs. "I just buy because I feel liking, but those never suit my face, so I don't use anymore"

"You're weird, you just wasted the money, you know" I remark, crossing my arms over my chest. She seems piss off as glance up at me sharply. I thought, she is going to scold me but her eyes scan my whole face.

"Your face is flawless, do you know that, Hana. I know you don't wear make up. So, I think there's no need to make it too extreme, it's going to ruin your natural face" she rubs her chin then searching again. I just roll up my eyes, but still looking for a mirror as checking my own face just in case. Is she telling the true?

My fingertips touch my wavy hair that was made by her a minute ago. They are falling down over my shoulders in neat. I don't know how she did it, but I really satisfied with her work. She lets out a lipstick, mascara and some creams before applying to my face one by one.

After done, she nods then mentioned me to look at the mirror once again and I did. I'm speechless. I never thought I would become like this. 

"How is it?" She asks out of curious.

"It's.. awkward" I blunt and lean it to the mirror, to get a better view. The make up is so simplest I have seen, but I managed to pull it off.

"I don't understand you" My sister make a face. Then, stuffing back her things in the bag. I laugh at her brief comment but didn't say anything. Seriously, I feel really awkward to go out like this. It's not my things. People might judging me, trying so hard to be pretty with full of efforts. No way, I prefer being comfortable with my own style. This is probably for tonight. Yeah, for tonight. 

My sister shuffles across the room and she is about to get out through my bedroom door. I turn my head around.

"Unnie" I call softly. Her feet stop midway then turn over her shoulder. 

"Thanks anyway" I mutter in honest sincere. 

Her red cherry lips break into a warm smile. "You're beautiful, Hana" She said instead. I just be a able to throw her a small smile. She as if reading my face but, then nod,

"I'll wait you outside, need permission from Appa first to borrow his car" She tells me, before turning and start to walk out of my room after I murmur 'Ok'.

....

Once my father's car stop by the edge of Soyeong's gate. I can see, she already waited there in such a different person. I mean, she is looking super gorgeous with those pink dress on her tiny body. Her hair pulled in a neat bun and I can't believe this. She still wears those her big glasses. I almost face palmed. Apparently, what am I imagine is not really happening. I realized, we just wanted to be ourselves. Even in a special event, we're still want to remain who we are. It might be one of our chemistry and I love it how it goes. 

Instantly, she jogs in her white high heel then, hop in at the back seat before shutting the door car in a light slam.

"Hi, Minjae Unnie, you looks so dazzling tonight" Soyeong greets my sister casually.

"Thanks dear, you too" She response to my friend's compliment in a light smile, pulling a gas and start to drive to the main road. I just roll my eyes and fold my arms over my chest.

For a second, I feel a tap on my shoulder. I slightly turn over her.

"Who are you?" 

I make a face "Shut up"

Then, there's a laughter from both of my sister and my friend filled up around the car. I hiss immediately and press hard my back on the cushion passenger seat, piss off.

Horrible, such a biggest mistake to tag along. I could have being at home right now and freely doing my things. I feel like knocking myself right now. I let out a exasperation sigh through my nose due to the tension that linger in me. The heater in the car definitely increased my not so good mood. What is more frustrated is I forgot to bring any jackets or coats after I notice my sister have one on her body, covering up her exposed body. Judging by weather tonight, seems like it's a bit cold and the air is so salty out there. I sigh before Soyeong's voice rings again at the back.

"Seriously though, Hana. You looks so different tonight. I mean in a good way" Her tone sound pure honest, so I just press my lips into line, out of words. I really don't know how to take compliments because I'd still feel a tad of doubtful in it.

The rest of on the way there is being accompanied by some songs in the radio. We don't talk much, except Soyeong told me she was scared to put on contact lenses in her eyes. That's why, she didn't take off her glasses. Other than that, I secretly wonder are we really feeling excited over this prom? All I can see, we are like more curious than enjoying, except me. I'm the one who are so badly want to stay at home instead and I don't give a damn about it.

...

I told you, it's exceptionally boring here. People are dancing here and there with their date partner with hurting my eyes more. I can feel like, the blood it's going to spit out from my socket eyes just seeing them like this. To be honest, There is like around four guys already asked me to dance. But immediately I turned down all of them without a second thought. Truly, I'm sick of it. What if I come here without dressing nicely? Is there still a person asking me dance? Those questions suddenly muddle my head so much. I should not thinking so far like this but I can't help it.

After we signed in thirty minutes ago, my sister surprisingly gone somewhere which I thought she might looks for her friends. At the end, leaving both me and Soyeong alone. In the large basketball court they are using, totally making me in insecure. A tons of students and some teachers are around, it's like we're getting further far and far away. we both just sit there in a table, and observing. Not until Soyeong informed me to go to ladies room for a moment and here, I am. Alone. Terrified gradually. even I'm not technically by myself, but I can't shake up the feeling when it's like I've been watching by people. I mean those stupid guys keep on glancing over me. I don't understand why. I don't think I wore such a reveal dress, especially a tight one. Jeez! They are mostly from my classmate, probably they are trying to figure out, if I'm really an ugly Kang Hana usually they see in the class.

I have an argue to pull my hair into a mess, and make them turn away. Suddenly a figure come out of nowhere, pulling out an empty seat beside me and set himself down. I slowly turn over him and almost groan on it, irritation.

"Hi, Hana" Yook Sungjae, the trouble one in my class.

I ignore him and pretend to look at those people who are enjoying in the dance floor. It got my attention all of sudden. The large room filled up by a soft melody but it doesn't cool down my heart at all.

"Do you wanna dance with me?" His voice is gentle, tilting his head to look at my face. I feel uncomfortable as I shift a bit on my seat in fidget.

"No, thanks. Go away sungjae" I try not to sound rude, but it seems I already am. I'm sill not looking at his face and I know he is attractive one, especially those dark blue suit on his tough body. It might distracted me and make me give in easily. I hold my breath once.

"Oh come on, you know I'm not that really a bad guy. We both know, Hana" His words are such a sweet like sugar. I totally don't feeling good about that. 

I grit my teeth in anxious and his hand abruptly tries to reach mine on the table. Quickly, I get up from the chair, avoiding him to do it so. He snaps due to my reaction but still put his nicer smile on his lips. He stands too on his feet and try to calm me down.

"Relax, there's a lot of people here. Impossible, I'll do such a thing to you, Hana. I just ask you for dancing with me" He breathe out, when it's getting so serious the moment he saw my freak face right now. I wonder why is taking Soyeong so long in the ladies room.

"I'm sorry Sungjae, but please-"

My words stop right away, upon noticing someone put a hoodie jacket on top of my head and wrap my body with it. I can feel the figure stands towering behind me.

"I'm sorry, baby. I'm late" He softly mutters.

The voice. I know it. Instantly, I turn around and to be greeted by a wider smile of Jung Daehyun in front of me. I'm speechless with my eyes enlarged. He gives me a wink then look at Sungjae back in a sharp gaze all of sudden. His expression changed in a second that make me amazed in silent.

"Sorry boy, she's my date a.k.a. My girlfriend" Daehyun proudly says, he draws me by a shoulder and embrace tight. I hate to admit it, but it does feel safe which make me want to hug him. Oh god. I'm out of my mind to think like that. I shrug it off from my head.

For a moment, I breath out a relief sigh. Sungjae on other hand, looks embarrassed. Somehow, I feel sorry to him, but he needs to show some respect to me too because I'm still a girl that need to be treated better.

"Sorry, bro. I didn't know" He finally speaks, giving me a short glance then walk away with both of his hands stuff in the pockets. We both send him with our gazes, when all of sudden the warmest of his body make me realize. All of my body goes tense at once before I push him aside which I didn't mean to. 

He looks at me in slight shocked but then pull his lips into a mischievous smile. "This is what I get, after saving you, Hana?" He arrogantly mutters, setting himself down on the same chair sungjae sat a minute ago.

"You are the second guy saved me from that boy" I state, yanking the hoodie down from my head. Crazy. Come to prom, bringing a sweater but, I can't deny at the way he looks kinda hot and manly with those black suit on him. His hair pushed up which showing his full forehead while his mole is clear under the somber light. He is a breathtaking person among all of the boys in here that I can't take off my eyes from. Please, someone hit me, so I can back to reality and remain focus. 

Remember Hana, you have your own rules. One mistake, it's going to eat you up. Those words come out to remind me.

I inhale quietly before releasing them. I take my seat again and adjust the sweater in both of the shoulders that just hanging on my body. At least, my exposed shoulders being safe from people's naughty gazes. 

I look up and notice his face is serious right now. Did I say something wrong? 

"Who?"

"What?" I frown at him.

"Who was the first guy?" His eyes dart on mine perfectly. It sounds off in his tone, jealousy? I can't tell it, because his expression show otherwise.

"I'm not telling you" I look away, can't stand it. It was burn like a fire. 

There's a moment of a silence filled up between us and the background music turned into Jazz in a split second. 

"Fine" He gives up, leaning his back over his chair and observing around. I'm not sure he's being serious but then, he leans to me again as stare straight on my face.

I found myself nervous on my seat "Why are you looking at me like that?"

He flashes me his smile "I just want to ask you, do you wanna-"

"No" I firmly say to him.

"..drink?" He finished his uncompleted sentence.

"Huh? I thought you ask me to danc-"

"Drink?" He repeats it once again by pressing the word hard under his breath, raising his eyebrows. I take some breaths then biting my inner cheeks, I can feel my whole face turned red in embarrassing.

"Orange juice please" I breathe out, trying to bear with myself. He chuckles "Ok"

He pushed the chair backward and get up from his seat, when he took two steps, three words immediately slip off from my mouth.

"I hate you"

He smiles as if, there's nothing for him to take it serious. "I know" He murmurs, then he goes to the drink place.

I grip my fist into ball as slam my head on the table in front of me. Luckily, there's no one in this small table that have four seats available, since they are all busying dance on the cold floor. I have a deep sigh, before a beep sound come out from my phone. I let out them from my small bag then read the message I just received.

 

Soyeong: Sorry, I think I just stay outside. Come out wherever u feel like it, ok?

 

Another heavy sigh left my mouth again and I send her a simple 'ok', when I'm about to throw my phone inside my bag, it dropped from my grip, landing down on the floor already.

I groan, get up and bend down to take it. The sweater slowly slips off my shoulder and quickly I catch them before dropping down on the floor. The cold air slap my exposed milky shoulder, it's shivering me up until I cover it up in such a hurry. Once I got my phone, I sit on my seat again and there's Daehyun, standing straight in front of me with both of his hands hold up two glasses of the Orange juices. He hands it to me one, before sitting on his chair again.

I warily drink them with both of my palms wrapped around the glass. I gulp it down my throat and, It seems like I was too thirsty that I finished almost half of it in one shot. I put down the glass on the table before I noticed Daehyun is sipping his drink while glancing at me through the hem of the glass. I lift my eyebrows at him, but he just run his gaze which l found it quite weird.

He didn't drink a lot though, when he finally sets his glass down in front of him. He turns to me, clearing his throat to get my attention. I focus on him.

"Have any guys check you out before?" His voice is shaky unknowingly. I stare at him long, trying to figure out something. He seems in fidget on his seat.

I just shrug "Don't know, perhaps, check me out because I'm ugly" I nonchalantly say, closing my eyes for a second, putting myself into the music.

"How about you? Have you check out any girls?" I shot open my eyes and look at him in curious. He holds my gaze a bit long.

"I just did just know" Then, running his gaze again as taking his glass in his hand. This time, he drinks all in one go. 

His words has distracted me to look around me. I scan the female girls one by one. Almost all in a tight dress, showing the shape of their big booty. Gross. Of, course all the guys will check them out. No wonder, he is the one too.

When I turn over him again, he is staring down at me for how long I don't know but his gaze is completely different than before, which make my heart pounds madly under my chest.

 

​​​​

 

 


Thank you for reading until this chapter! You're Jangg! thumb up!

Bye!