Chapter 8

'Betterer' Isn't a Word

For the purpose of actually furthering the plot of the story, it's been months after school started, and both the high schools and elementary schools are having their winter break starting tomorrow. You know what that means? Everybody is going to be having a party today.

To fill you in on the things that you missed during these few months, the six high schoolers only became better and better friends, hanging out whenever they had free time. The lot were usually at Jimin's house, the boy's parents typically not being at home.

All the high schoolers got to know Jungkook as well, and might I say, Jungkook was rather impressed when he met up with Yoongi.

Park Jimin was making some pretty good choices.

Just because they got to know each other, though, didn't mean that they all got along. Yes, Jungkook thought that Yoongi was much more impressive than he had ever anticipated, but he was still afraid to talk to the man. The same went for Namjoon. These people were just too many years older than him, and he was just a small bean who was afraid of people. He had never been more thankful for Yoongi's distaste for conversation. He was the worst when it came to speaking.

Hoseok was a whole other case, though. If you told Jungkook to punch him, he would. Don't you worry. The horse-man, as Jungkook liked to call him, was getting much too close for comfort with his Taehyung. He was trying to hug the pink haired boy whenever he had the opportunity, grabbing Taehyung's hand every so often. He was also determined to sit beside him whenever they hung out, but Jungkook would cling onto the older boy and have them sit together.

He wasn't giving Kim Taehyung to anybody. 

One time, when all seven of them got together to go watch a movie, Hoseok had run right to Taehyung's side to be with him for the day. Jungkook was seething, clenching his hands into fists and swearing to every god that Jung Hoseok was going to die tonight. However, the man quickly linked arms with the pink haired boy, glaring at Jungkook with everything he had. Then, he dragged Taehyung into the theatre, leaving Jungkook to trail behind them.

This was a declaration of war.

And you know that Jungkook is more than ready to shoot some people. He didn't play all those video games for nothing. 

He was going to fight the older man, even if it was the last thing he would ever do.

Also, just in case you were curious, Jimin and Taehyung are no longer dying of food poisoning. I know that it seems pretty obvious, seeing as though it's been months, but I just thought I ought to clarify. In fact, they got better rather quickly, being able to attend school the next day and wreaking havoc throughout the halls. They were much too lively for anyone's liking, and Jungkook may have only been slightly tempted to poison them again, if only just for revenge. If Seokjin hadn't stopped him, he totally would have done it.

Now then, back to the winter break. 

Taehyung, being the little sweetheart that he is, was having a huge party tonight. And by huge, I mean fireworks, a three tier cake, pizza. Everything fit for a party of...

Well...

Seven.

Yeah, huge.

You see, his parents aren't the most lax people out there, and he's pretty sure that they would stab him if he had a party for the entire school. 

Taehyung may be popular, but that doesn't make his parents any nicer.

Nah, I'm joking. they're super sweet. Great people. They just hate other people in general.

Like me.

If you ever see me on the street, please don't try to talk to me. I'll just scream and run away from you.

Now Taehyung also loves his parents very much and would never go behind their backs and have a party without them knowing, so he only invited the other six boys to have a little get-together.

So here's Taehyung, sitting in his final class of the day, bouncing up and down in his seat in anticipation. He had been texting the other six all day, making sure that they all knew where his house was and that they would all be showing up. Jungkook was heading to his house before everyone else to help him prepare everything, and might Taehyung say, he was kind of excited. It had been a while since the two had hung out alone, now typically accompanied by all their new friends. He missed being able to tease the young boy, seeing the reactions that Jungkook only showed in front of him. 

Such a cute kid.

The clock was slowly ticking, the minute hand getting closer and closer to the nine.

Taehyung was no longer paying attention to the class at all. The teacher was droning on about flowers or algebraic equations or something, he didn't know. There were just words being said at him, not even going in through one ear and coming out. No, they just hit a solid wall and splattered onto the floor, having had absolutely no chance of ever being heard.

When the final bell rang, the pink haired man had sprinted out of the classroom faster than his teacher could even try to stop him. He grabbed his bag, bolting through the door, not realizing that his teacher, very solemnly, said 'the bell doesn't dismiss you, I do!'

No one listens to that teacher in the first place, so it isn't really his fault.

Now that I think about it, nothing really seems to be his fault, huh?

Anyway, Taehyung, not having enough patience to go back to his own house and then wait for Jungkook to get off school and then wait for Jungkook to get on the bus and then wait for Jungkook to get to his house, ran over to Jungkook's school. When he got there, he was just a few minutes early. The school day was almost over, and the pink haired man could not be more excited.

He had received a couple of odd stares from people, but what else do you expect when you see a hyper thirteen-year-old jumping around an elementary school with a huge smile on his face?

That just screams suspicious.

Disregarding the teachers who had been pulled out of class to come make sure that everything was safe, Taehyung continued to jump about around the school gates, waiting for Jungkook to get out of the building. 

When he finally saw the boy, Taehyung ran onto the school property, pouncing onto him and effectively knocking the young boy onto the ground. Staff and older students alike ran towards them to pull the suspicious man off, but Jungkook waved them away with his hand, lightly patting Taehyung on the back.

"Tae?"

"Jungkookie~ I missed you!"

Jungkook buried his head in Taehyung's shoulder, not wanting anyone to see him blush. However, he quickly remembered where they were, attempting once more to push the older man off of him.

"Come on, Tae. We have to get ready for your party, get off of me."

He couldn't see it, but Jungkook knew that the older man had scrunched up his nose in distaste, reluctantly standing up. He pulled Jungkook up with him, the two making their way to the younger's bus.

When Taehyung stepped onto the vehicle, he was stopped by the bus driver.

"Whoa, kid, you're gonna need a note if you want to ride the bus."

"But he's with me-"

Taehyung laid a hand on the younger's shoulder, smiling while lightly shaking his head. He opened his eyes, staring the bus driver head on.

"Don't you remember me, Patty? I was your favourite student! Your little Taetae! Come on, I brought you chocolate for Valentine's Day!" That last sentence made Jungkook's eyes widen. He was slowly backing away from the older boy, not knowing why the  he would give their bus driver chocolate for Valentine's Day. She was maybe, what, fifty years old and always pissed off.

Not really the best match for a teenager, if I were to say so myself.

Taehyung's words seemed to have an affect on the bus driver, though, as her eyes shot open, a bright smile making its way onto her face.

"Taehyung! My dear boy! Of course, how could I have forgotten? Come here, child, let me give you a hug! Oh, you've gotten so much taller in the last few months, and your hair! What did you do to your hair? My little Taehyungie is all grown up, isn't he?"

Jungkook had tapped out ages ago. He was in a seat as far away from the bus driver as he could get, not wanting anything to do with this conversation. He had glanced down at his phone, and the time for the bus to leave the school had come and gone just like that. He looked up, only to see Taehyung still flirting with the bus driver.

That just screamed all kinds of wrong.

He lowered his voice, cupping his hands around his mouth.

"Hey!"

No one heard him, and he rolled his eyes before shouting even louder.

"HEY! AREN'T WE SUPPOSED TO BE LEAVING NOW?"

Jungkook watched as the bus driver jumped, glancing down at her watch. Her expression changed from one of pure bliss to one of anxiety and surprise.

"Oh good god, you're right! Taehyungie, go sit down! Come talk to me again sometime soon!"

The pink haired boy ran from the front of the bus, trying to find Jungkook. Unfortunately for him, Jungkook had tucked his head down, and the boy was not visible to anyone if he didn't wish to be. Taehyung frowned, slowly walking down the aisle and looking for the small boy. He looked so small and tiny that Jungkook couldn't help but feel bad. 

The younger man lifted his head up just the slightest, calling for Taehyung with a soft voice.

"Tae, Tae, I'm over here!"

The older's eyes lit up, and he all but skipped towards the seat. He plopped down right beside the young boy, giving him a great big hug that had their cheeks squished together.

"Jeon Jungkookie! You are my little Jungkookie, the sweetest Jungkookie there is! Kookie, Kookie, Jungkookie! Don't you ever get older, you little cutie! Yes, Jungkookie, my little cutie patootie!" 

The bus had started moving, and Jungkook pushed Taehyung away from him, doing his best to increase the distance between them since they were sharing a seat.

"Taehyung, what the happened while you were talking to the bus driver? Why are you like this?"

The pink haired man chewed his bottom lip as his head was tilted towards the ground. He glanced at Jungkook, using his best puppy eyes. 

"I just missed you, Kookie. I thought we could have some fun today while we got ready for the party."

The young man's eyes widened once more and he grimaced, once again disgusted by Taehyung's terrible but adorable attitude. As such, he stood up, grabbed the seat in front of him and flipped over, landing right on it. He then proceeded to put in his headphones, ignoring Taehyung who had taken it upon himself to poke his arm.

Eventually, Taehyung gave up on trying to get the younger's attention, resorting to just staring out the window and waiting to get to their neighbourhood.


Once inside the house, Taehyung had returned to his normal self. He and Jungkook found all the party stuff and decorated the house, and now they were discussing what to get for the pizza in Taehyung's room.

The older man had put the pen between his top lip and his nose, now moving it up and down while he thought of what each individual would enjoy. Jungkook, on the other hand, had engrossed himself with Taehyung's Xbox. Taehyung glanced over to what the boy was playing, opening his mouth to speak at the same time. The pen fell, and the pink haired boy reached out to grab it, but it landed on the ground with a light dink. Jungkook didn't notice, continuing with his game, but Taehyung stared at the fallen writing utensil for a solid two minutes before attempting to speak again.

"Hey Jungkookie, you know, Jiminnie likes olives-"

"Why? Why does anyone like olives? We're not getting olives. Or sardines. Or anchovies. Or anything of the fish variety."

"I... never said we were?"

"Good."

Taehyung narrowed his eyes, internally screaming at the boy. His hand was outstretched, palm towards the ceiling as he silently freaked out. He shook his head. There was no reasoning with twelve-year-olds.

"Alright then, what would you like to have on the pizza?"

Jungkook finally looked away from the game, shutting off the console. He scooted towards the older boy, hugging his knees close to his chest.

"Tae, just get Hawaiian. It's always good. If you really want to, you can get a separate pizza with all different types of toppings, or half and half. I don't really care. Besides, it's your party, so you can choose."

Taehyung cooed, pinching both of Jungkook's cheeks.

"Aww, little Jungkookie! Okay, I'll get a Hawaiian pizza and a half pepperoni, half cheese. Problem solved! Now then, now that that's done with, though, there's nothing else to do. What do you want to do before everyone gets here? There's still two hours. You can keep playing on my Xbox, or you could go home and come back again later. It's up to you. I'm just gonna take a quick nap. School really drained everything from me."

The older boy got off of the ground, jumping onto the bed. He hugged his pillow, turning to face the bed. Suddenly, Taehyung felt the mattress sink down, a hand tugging at the back of his shirt. He turned his head, seeing Jungkook looking at him with hopeful eyes.

"Can I... Can I take a nap with you, Tae?"

Taehyung smiled, turning to face the young boy. Then, he opened his arms, pillow still in hand. Jungkook slowly crawled into his arms, and the two got into a comfortable position, laying down to sleep.

At one point, Taehyung's mother had come in to see if the two needed help, only to be met with the sight of Taehyung's arms wrapped around Jungkook's waist, the pillow on the other side of the bed.


", , , Jungkook, wake up! There are only ten minutes until everyone's supposed to get here! We still have to order the pizza and everything- ! Ow, , my goddamn toe, , Jungkook, wake up!"

A pair of pants were thrown onto the younger's face, the boy slowly waking up.

"What? Taehyung's ing me? No... if anything, I'd be ing him."

Jungkook then proceeded to yawn and stretch before he rolled over, squishing the poor jeans underneath him.

The pink haired man stopped dead in his tracks, no longer caring about the fact that the party was literally about to start or that he just stubbed his toe against the door and it ing hurt.

No, he was much too focused on the words that just came out of the young boy's mouth.

"What?!"

The screech spread throughout the entire house, effectively waking Jungkook up. The boy had shot up with a startle, falling onto the ground.

"What? What? What happened? Who died? What did I miss?"

Taehyung's eyes bugged out, the boy spluttering, unable to form words. Jungkook crawled towards him, grabbing onto his pant leg.

"Tae, Tae, what happened? What's wrong?"

The older man stared down at Jungkook who was clutching his pants, eyes wide and almost begging. His eyes travelled a bit further until he noticed something, head snapping up to stare at the bed. Taehyung's face flushed pinker than his hair and his spluttering became even more intense right afterwards. He quickly used both hands to cover his face, only leaving space for his eyes to see through. Then, he ran away, shaking off the younger's hands.

Jungkook was left there on the floor, blanket barely covering his lower half.

That was when he realized that he wasn't wearing any pants.

.

He looked on the floor for his jeans, but they were nowhere in sight. That was when he saw them on the bed, the boy quickly slipping them back on and doing breathing exercises to calm himself down. He then walked out of Taehyung's room, slowly making his way down the stairs.

Jungkook saw the older man cutting up some slices of cake, getting ready for their friends' arrivals. He cautiously made his way over, making sure to keep ample distance between them.

"Uhh, hey Tae? You need any help?"

Taehyung looked up, appearance as calm and kept together as it typically was. He smiled at Jungkook, shaking his head.

"No, it's fine Kookie. I'm fine here. Can you just go make sure that my phone's on the right playlist? I don't want some sad songs to suddenly come on and ruin everyone's mood."

Jungkook nodded quickly, scurrying over to where the speaker was set up. What he didn't notice was how Taehyung let out a breath that he didn't know he'd been holding, clutching his chest soon after.

One by one, the invitees started showing up. Jimin showed up last, walking through the door like he owned the place.

"EVERYONE, I'M HOME!"

"PARK JIMIN, IF YOU'RE GOING TO ACT LIKE THAT, THEN YOU CAN GET OUT OF MY HOUSE RIGHT THIS MINUTE. I DO NOT NEED THIS FROM YOU TODAY."

The small brunet put up his hands, taking a few steps back while staring at Taehyung who had a knife pointed at him. He slowly took off his shoes, ping his coat.

"Alright, no stabbing, I'm just taking off my shoes. I'm putting them right here, don't do anything drastic, Tae."

"You're testing me, Park Jimin."

"Okay, okay, calm down."

Jimin tiptoed towards him, picked up a can of coke and tiptoed away, taking a seat on Taehyung's couch. He opened it, still staring at the younger boy, before drinking two sips. Then, he placed the can down, motioning to everyone else with his hand.

"Continue on with the party."

The two continued to have a staring contest, all the other party members moving away from them.

It was going to be a long night.


All seven boys were seated around the television in the living room, Taehyung, Jimin and Hoseok on the couch, the rest on the floor. Yoongi had his head laid in Jungkook's lap, Seokjin was beside them, and Namjoon was on the other side. There were three bowls of popcorn; one on Yoongi's chest, another on Seokjin's head and a third sitting between Taehyung and Jimin. Hoseok wasn't sure if he should reach over Jimin, grabbing the popcorn, or just take popcorn from the bowl that seemed glued to the oldest's head.

He settled for the second, not wanting to make everything awkward while they watched the movie.

Jungkook had one arm basically wrapped around Yoongi, hand resting on his chest if ever he wanted some popcorn. Yoongi himself was sprawled all over the floor, not even caring that a huge bowl was sitting on him. He was ready to take a nap.

Taehyung had been extra wary of Jungkook, but seeing him and Yoongi being so close made him uncomfortable.

For some reason.

Suddenly, Jimin spoke up, startling everyone and sending Jin's bowl tumbling to the ground. Popcorn was everywhere, covering every inch that you could see.

There was a lot of popcorn in that bowl, alright?

"Hey guys-"

"! Oh- sorry Kookie, don't listen to me. Park Jimin, you little prick! Look at the mess you've made! At least give us some warning if you're going to start shouting for no reason! Come here and help me clean it up!"

Jimin's eyes widened and he threw the blanket off of his legs, dumping it onto Taehyung. He got up and started picking up the popcorn, but only after Seokjin smacked him upside the head.

After they had finished collecting the kernels, Jimin sat back onto the couch, leaning back.

"We should all go to the amusement park sometime, maybe tomorrow?"

"Seokjin and I can't go. We have to finish some things up."

"Like what? Did he leave you hanging last time you gave him a favour?"

There was a loud gasp, the oldest man in the room turning to face the now smirking Jimin, hitting him multiple times on the knee.

"Park Jimin! There are children here, mind you! And just so that you know, Namjoon and I actually have to go help some younger students that just came over from America, so it'd be great if you could shut your mouth!"

Jimin bit his lip, not meaning to piss the black haired man off. He tucked his head down, not knowing if he wanted to laugh or cry.

"I wish I could go! I have dance lessons tomorrow, though, so I guess I can't."

Hoseok said it half-heartedly, moving his hand about while speaking. Taehyung scrunched up his nose in response, counting in his head.

"I guess it's just me, Jiminnie, Jungkookie and Yoongi then." The statement made Yoongi shoot up, Jungkook grabbing the bowl of popcorn just in time. The blond man turned to face all of them, face one of confusion and slight anger.

"Whoa now, I never said I was going-"

"Do you have a reason not to go?"

"No-"

"Then you're going."

Yoongi was speechless, head turning back towards the television. Jungkook just patted his back, assuring him that he knew the feeling.

"Alright then, it's settled! The four of us will be going to the amusement park tomorrow! Let's meet up at eleven, okay?"

"I go to sleep at eleven-"

"LET'S MEET UP AT ELEVEN, OKAY?"

"Alright, alright!'


Soon after, the pizza arrived, the seven boys all jumping up to get a slice. Jungkook got there first, opening his precious box of Hawaiian pizza. A smile broke out on his face, the boy reaching to grab a piece-

"Ew, what the hell? Hawaiian? Are you kidding me?"

Jungkook threw the slice at Jimin's face, pushing the older boy backwards and towards the door.

"What, huh? What's wrong with Hawaiian? It's wayyyy better than olives! Do you know how disgusting you are that you like olives on your pizza? Get out!"

"! You wanna fight? Then let's fight!"

Taehyung punched Jimin and pushed Jungkook's face away with his hand. Then, he picked up the sad pizza slice from the ground, ripped it in half and shoved the two pieces into each of their mouths. He turned away, walking back towards the pizza and grabbed some plates.

He smiled, looks threatening.

"Anyone else have any complaints?"

The other boys all shook their heads, tentatively taking pizza from the box. Jungkook and Jimin just laid on the floor, both trying not to die from the excess of food in their mouths. They all stepped around the bodies, making their way back to the couch, but Taehyung stepped on both of them, making extra sure to step on rather sensitive areas.

When he reached the couch, Hoseok was there with his arms wide open, looking at Taehyung rather expectantly. 

"Come on, Tae. Sit down!"

The pink haired man smiled tiredly, placing his pizza down. He closed his eyes for a second before opening them and staring at Hoseok.

"Look, Hoseok, you're a great guy. Honestly, wonderful, but I'm really not in the mood right now and I'm going to tell you straight. I'm not interested in finding a boyfriend, alright? I appreciate the sentiment, but please, can we just, not, maybe?"

Hoseok's heart snapped in two, his arms slowly closing back in on himself. He nodded a few times, turning away from the still standing man. Jimin and Jungkook stopped complaining and moving as well, watching the scene unfold.

Taehyung's words echoed in Jungkook's head, all of his hopes and dreams shattered.

I'm not interested in finding a boyfriend.

Everyone's expressions were the same, tension thick in the room. Although no words were spoken and the intentions may have been different, they were all thinking the same thing.

.


a/n: please see story feed

btw can anyone tell me what everyone's hair colours in the main story are I actually cannot remember

just realized that since taes bday is 12.30 hes still 13 he'll be turning 14 soon ok cool

just in case you were wondering:

and fyi i love hawaiian pizza and olives are okay i wouldnt go out of my way to go get them tho id take no olives over olives any day