Chapter 7

'Betterer' Isn't a Word

Turns out that Taehyung and Jimin were pretty much dead. They had collapsed on the cafeteria table after eating their food, it having given them food poisoning.

I don't know how no one noticed because it's pretty obvious when someone around you just sort of, collapses, but everybody pays attention to different details, right? It's not their fault!

...

Okay, it totally is, but give them some leeway, alright? Seokjin and Namjoon just met up again and Yoongi kind of hates them all. Hoseok's just sort of there too so you can't blame them.

So here they were, pretty much dead, students around them slowly filtering out of the cafeteria. They would have been there forever, had one of the teachers coming to get lunch not seen them. They were both sent home, however, Taehyung didn't want to go home and instead went back to Jimin's house too. The two boys were lying on the older's bed, neither wanting to do anything except throw up.

Taehyung was sure that at one point during his multiple transitions between consciousness and unconsciousness, Killer started blaring from his phone, but he also could have just been hallucinating.

Yeah, hallucinating.


Okay, you know he was not. You guys know that if that is written in a story, he's not ing hallucinating.

This is common sense, people.

Jungkook sighed as Taehyung didn't pick up again, this having been the seventh time he called. Yes, that may have been excessive, but hey, he didn't really have any other friends. Seokjin was probably busy, and even if Taehyung was also busy, he could pick up a phone call. To be entirely honest, Jungkook thought that it would be alright if that boy missed a few classes here and there. It's not like they were improving his grades anyway.

He's an idiot.

An idiot that Jungkook loves I mean what

He sighed again, this time calling Jimin to ask where Taehyung was. Jimin, however, also did not pick up (because he's with Taehyung lying on a bed dying. I mean, you guys know that). Jungkook looked up at the clock and saw that it was almost time for last period, signalling the near end of the day for the high school.

Being the very worried kid that he is, he decided to skip last period.

Ooh, the kid's finally in his rebellious stage.

He walked from his school, thanking every god in the world that their schools were somewhat near each other. It took him a solid twenty minutes to reach the building, all the students already filing out of the school. He found Taehyung and Jimin's bus, running on. All the students on the bus stared at him, wondering what the hell a middle schooler was doing on the bus. Jungkook just awkwardly smiled, taking a seat and nervously playing with his hands.

While he was staring at the ground with the utmost interest, he felt someone sit next to him. He didn't dare look, instead just staring even harder at the black, gum covered floor of the school bus. He felt the man poke his arm, but he just moved over a bit to allow the guy some more room. The man clicked his tongue, poking Jungkook's arm even harder.

"Jungkook."

The boy's head shot up, surprised that anyone on this bus besides Taehyung and Jimin would know his name. When looking at his face, Jungkook was sure that he knew the person sitting right next to him, but he couldn't put a name to the face.

"You are..."

The man raised an eyebrow, encouraging the kid to keep going.

"You're... a person."

The 'person' put his head in his hands, not knowing why he expected so much from this kid.

"Jungkook, you little brat, it's Namjoon. Kim Namjoon, Seokjin's boyfriend."

Jungkook snapped his fingers, pointing at Namjoon right after.

"You're right. You are indeed Namjoon. That's a name."

"Yes, it is a name. It's my name."

"That's right. Good name. Good name indeed."

"Oh my god, this conversation is going nowhere."

Jungkook puffed out his cheeks, unsure what the older wanted from him. Yes, he may have been friends with Seokjin, and yes, Namjoon may be Seokjin's boyfriend, and yes, Jungkook may know a lot more about Namjoon than he had ever wanted or thought he could know, but that didn't mean that he could by any means speak to the man. Hearing about him and talking to him were two very different things, and Jungkook didn't have much experience in the second field there. Close to zero, actually.

He was truly quite introverted if he thought about it. He hated speaking to people so much that he would shyly ask the person in front of him, waiting in line at a fast food restaurant, to order food for him, giving them the exact change afterwards.

It doesn't work a lot of the time because people think he's some creepy guy trying to get them to do something really weird for him, but a lot of the time it's either Jimin or Taehyung in front of him, so things work out more often than not.

Other than that, he isn't really the sort of kid to go and reach out to other people to start a conversation. He likes being by himself, reading, singing, doing whatever. It's not like it's lonely, and it's really peaceful. When someone does try and start a conversation with him, though, it typically goes badly.

Like right now.

Namjoon was watching Jungkook think about how introverted he was. The boy was making different hand gestures, moving his body into different positions as he probably went through some seriously intricate thinking. He didn't think that Jungkook even noticed that the bus was leaving the school. Intrigued, the older student rested his face on his arm, lying on the seat of the bus. He was going to see how long it took the kid to notice anything.


They had already passed five bus stops, the next one being Namjoon's and the one after that Taehyung and Jimin's. Jungkook was still engrossed in himself, not paying mind to anyone or anything around him.

Shaking his head, Namjoon just punched the kid's arm, successfully bringing Jungkook out from his stupor.

"Oh. . Hi. What just happened?"

Namjoon laughed, leaning back into the seat. He stared forwards, not really looking at anything.

"Right, Jungkook, why are you here? Doesn't your school not get off for another twenty minutes or something?"

The boy rubbed the back of his neck, slightly grimacing.

"Well, yeah, but I was trying to call Tae and Minnie, and neither of them picked up. I got worried so I came to see them, but they're not here. You wouldn't happen to know where they are, would you?"

"Well, no, but I can ask Jin for you-"

"NO. NO YOU CAN'T. JIN CAN'T KNOW THAT ONE, TAE AND MINNIE ARE GONE, AND TWO, THAT I SKIPPED SCHOOL. HE CANNOT KNOW, ABSOLUTELY 100% NO."

Namjon put his hands up, not meaning to have offended the kid or anything-

"I didn't mean to offend you or anything-"

And then apologized for assuming things.

"Sorry that I assumed it would be okay to ask Jin? I mean, I thought he might know. After lunch, I never saw them. Dunno if they went home or something, but I just haven't seen them since."

Jungkook scrunched up his nose. He thanked Namjoon for his lack of help and the two sat in silence until they reached the older's bus stop. Then, Jungkook got off at the next stop, walking towards Jimin's house with worry heavy in his heart.


When he opened the door to the house, the only sounds that were reaching his ears were gags and groans. Now confused and ten times more grossed out than he had ever been, Jungkook cautiously made his way up the stairs to Jimin's room. The gags were only getting even louder, the young boy regretting ever coming to this house in the first place.

When Jungkook reached the door, he cautiously pushed it open with his foot. As soon as he did, however, loud retching sounds came from the room, the small boy wincing and covering his ears.

He walked into the room, peering onto the bed only to find a corpse there, unmoving.

"AH!"

(He screamed, if you didn't get that.)

After that, his name was called with a rather, throaty, voice, the retching stopping momentarily.

"J-Jungkook?"

The dead boy on the bed moved, lifting his head just the slightest. Jungkook recognized him as Taehyung, but the brunet had his eyes sunken in, cheeks hollowed out. Jimin crawled out of the bathroom, body in a similar condition.

Jungkook was frozen with fear, feet planted on the ground. He wasn't sure if he should run or if he should stay, but the way Jimin just GRABBED ONTO HIS ANKLE WAS MAKING HIM WANT TO RUN PRETTY BADLY.

"J-Jungkook... Help us..."

The boy's eyes shot open, fear coursing through his body. He hesitantly bent down, lifting Jimin up and over his shoulder, throwing the brunet onto the bed, narrowly missing the other body.

This seems to happen to Jimin quite a bit, don't you think?

More frequently than it does to normal people...

Jungkook stared at the two boys now both lying on the bed, not moving. He rolled up his sleeves and put his hands on his hips, surveying the damage. The boy then shook his head, wonder and amazement bursting through his head.

"What happened to you guys?"


"How the does this happen within a few hours of having food poisoning?"

Jimin was back in the bathroom, emptying the contents of his stomach once again. He was a shell of who he once was, arms weaker than sticks and body looking as if it'd snap in two with the slightest push.

Jungkook would actually like to try that out, but he's not in the business of murder.

For now.

"Jung... Jungkook! I think I'm getting b-" Jimin's sentence got cut off partway through, the boy leaning over the toilet, Jungkook making circles on his back to sooth him. After a few more of those, the small brunet sat up, leaning his head back and taking some deep breaths.

"Jungkook, I think I'm getting better."

The young boy just smiled sarcastically, lightly patting Jimin on the cheek. He suddenly heard movements coming from the bed, Taehyung having woken up and trying to stand up.

"Oh yeah?" The pink haired male managed to throw his body up into a sitting position, moving back and forth as if about to collapse once more. Jungkook ran towards him, placing a hand each on his chest and back to steady him. 

Taehyung shot one of his hands up into the air, hand loosely squeezed into a fist.

"I'm even betterer than you are! So come fight me, Jiminnie!"

Jungkook bit his tongue, eyebrows shooting up in surprise. Jimin crawled out of the bathroom once more, dragging his limp body across the floor.

"You... You wanna fight, ?"

"Yeah, I wanna fight!"

Taehyung shook Jungkook's hands off of him, making his way onto the floor. After he had done so, both sick men were out of breath, neither having the energy to do anything, let alone fight.

"You think you're betterer than me, well I'll show you."

"I know I'm betterer than you, actually, so why don't I prove it to you?"

Jungkook snorted, not able to take it anymore. He pulled the two apart quite easily, sitting Taehyung back onto the bed and gently laying Jimin on the floor.

"Sorry to burst your bubbles, guys, but uhh, 'betterer' isn't a word."

"Oh you, Kookie! That wasn't the point!"

"Get outta here, Jungkook!"

Jungkook merely put up both of his hands, stepping around the angry boy on the ground and made his way to the door. He saluted to them, slamming the door closed behind him and running away.

Tomorrow was going to be a long day for everyone at their high school if those two managed to get better.

Wasn't it just the second day of school today?