Chapter 23

'Betterer' Isn't a Word

Hoseok was sitting on Taehyung's couch, reaching down to one more button on his shirt. His hair was ruffled messily, his tongue flitting out to wet his dry lips. Taehyung was nervously stood at the front of his house, his fingers twiddling together and eyes flicking back and forth from Hoseok to the front door.

"Hoseok, I don't think this is a good idea-"

Jimin came out of nowhere, his shirt completely ed and faint abs visible. 

"What are you talking about, Tae? It's a perfect idea. This is going to work. Definitely. Yes. Jungkook will fall in love with you forever and ever-"

"Might I remind you that he is still a child? He's twelve, dude."

Jimin shrugged, jumping down onto the sofa next to Hoseok. He almost laid his head on the other man's lap, but quickly thought better of it when Yoongi's hurt face flashed into his eyes.

He opted for simply resting his temple against Hoseok's shoulder, looking at Taehyung with an odd look.

"Okay, yeah, so he's twelve, but he'll be graduating in less than a month, Taehyung. He's skipping eighth grade, remember? You won't even notice, and I'm absolutely positive that twelve-year-olds are more intense than you remember."

Jimin paused, blinked, stared right at Taehyung and winked.

"In more ways than one."

Taehyung's face immediately flushed bright red, the colour creeping down his neck and spreading to the tips of his ears. Hoseok's bright laughter rang through his house, eliciting giggles from Jimin as well.

"D-don't talk about him like that?" Taehyung screamed out, but it tapered off at the end and sounded more like a question than anything. Jimin just laughed again, his hand slapping down against Hoseok's leg.

Taehyung puffed his cheeks out, stomping away from them, but letting a small smile grow on his face as he slowly let the thought creep into his head that, yeah, maybe Jungkook would get jealous, and maybe he would end up falling in love with him and they would grow up with exactly thirty-seven dogs in a really big hot-air balloon that was stuck on the ground because Taehyung didn't think that he would like living up in the air for very long no matter how much he liked flying and actually maybe a hot-air balloon wasn't exactly the best idea maybe he and Jungkook would just end up living in a very nice cabin in the woods with all their dogs. It'd be very rustic.

Kind of like Will Graham.

Taehyung shook his head, opening the door with haste when he heard a light knock against the wooden frame.

"Jungkook-"

A hand patted his cheek a few times, another reaching up to ruffle his hair. Seokjin was walking into his house without a second glance, a smile on his face as he threw his coat down. A see-through white dress shirt donned his chest, long black trousers cutting off right at his ankles to counterbalance the shade.

His hair was now a brilliant golden yellow, his lips plump and puckered.

Jimin and Hoseok looked at him the same way, jaws dropped wide open because damn, he looked good.

"Seokjin, holy- wow, you look-"

"Amazing? Yeah, I know. Thanks anyway."

He flipped his nonexistent long hair over his shoulder, walking over and sitting on the couch delicately. He crossed his right leg over top of his left leg and looked at Taehyung with a twinkle in his eyes, mischief hanging in the air.

"So, Taehyung, I heard Jungkookie was coming over today."

Taehyung choked on his spit, thumping down on his chest to try and get himself to stop coughing.

"How did you-"

He hacked again, successfully clearing his throat as he ran into the kitchen to grab some water before continuing. At this, Seokjin just looked at Jimin and Hoseok, both of their smiles growing as Seokjin's beauty shone.

They heard the clink of plates smashing against each other, and the sound of the faucet turning on and running for a bit before it was shut off with haste. Silence ensued before a cup was slammed against the table, a satisfying ahh sounding throughout the house.

Taehyung ran back out, a droplet of water hanging on his face.

"How did you know that Jungkook was coming? Who told you? How could you have found out?"

Seokjin looked at Taehyung sadly, as though the boy didn't understand something very simple.

"Taehyung, you have to realize that, when Jimin and Hoseok look at each other like they're planning on setting the entire world on fire, they're going to do it as soon as they can. Besides, today is Saturday. It's not like you or Jungkook had any plans anyway, so why wouldn't he come over? He was free, you were free, and here you are now. Actually, here I am now. It wasn't that hard to figure out, as you can see. I even had time to dye my hair-"

"It looks fantastic, Jinnie."

"Aww, thank you, Hobi. You look fantastic too. And Jimin, is that a new shirt?"

"Wow, Jin, how did you know? I bought it two weeks ago, and this is the first time I got to wear it-"

"ALRIGHT, GUYS!"

Taehyung cut off their incessant chatter, his lips pursed as he ran a hand through his faded hair. He needed to dye it soon. Maybe back to a light brown colour would be nice.

"It doesn't matter how you figured it out. Jungkookie's gonna be coming soon, so I don't want you guys to do anything weird. Just, I don't know, be yourselves and don't creep him out or anything? You've been able to do that for a while now, so please just keep it up."

"Keep what up?"

Taehyung whirled around to see Jungkook standing in front of him, a t-shirt hanging on his body and jeans hugging his legs tightly. His black hair was ruffled messily, as though he had only just woken up.

"K-Kook," Taehyung stuttered out. "You're here already."

Jungkook bit on his bottom lip and turned to look at the clock hanging by Taehyung's door.

"Am I too early? I thought you wanted me to be here at noon. It's almost 12:10. If anything, I'm late. I re-dyed my hair because blond just wasn't working for me. Oh, hi Seokjin. Nice hair, blond works for you, though. Hi Jimin. Hi Hoseok. I didn't know you guys were coming, too. Is anyone else coming? If they are, I should have asked mom to make some food for me to bring over. I was busy earlier, I couldn't really make any food. Well, I guess I could have picked some up while I was out, but-"

"Out? Where were you?"

Jungkook's mouth formed a small 'o' when Jimin asked, and he pointed to the bicep on his right arm.

"I was at the gym. I know I'm still a kid and all, but I'm gonna be in high school next year, aren't I? Yeah, I'm still about four months away from thirteen, but it's good to start packing on the muscles early. I've been going for a few months now. Every weekend in the morning I go because I know Taehyung will never be awake which means no one's there to interrupt me."

Jungkook pursed his lips as he thought to himself, not noticing how shocked everyone looked.

"I'd like to think that I've gotten a lot stronger. I wasn't joking about going to the gym when I talked to Yoongi before."

Taehyung's jaw dropped wide open, and he tried not to stare too hard at Jungkook's, for lack of a better word, bulging muscles. It was like he had stuffed a huge pillow into his arm, but Taehyung knew that wasn't possible, so he just looked on in wonder.

Jimin helped with the awkwardness that ensued, bouncing over to where Jungkook was standing.

"Alright, Kookie. If you're so strong, wanna see which one of us is stronger? Since I'm older than you, wouldn't you think that it'd be me?" Jimin said, grinning cheekily the entire time. He made eye contact with Jungkook, winking at him, giving Hoseok and Seokjin a thumbs up while walking over to where Taehyung was still standing with his jaw basically unhinged.

Jimin shut Taehyung's mouth with a quick hand, moving behind him, keeping eye contact with Jungkook the whole time. A question was on his face, his head tilting to the side.

"Why are you next to Taehyung if we're going to test our strength against each other, Chim?"

Taehyung nodded, looking at Jimin with pursed lips.

"Yeah, why don't you two just arm wrestle or something?"

Jimin grinned, shaking his head softly.

"No no, you don't understand. This isn't the time for arm wrestling, it's the time for this."

Jimin kicked Taehyung's feet out from under him, catching the tall boy as he fell with a scream. Jimin had Taehyung in his arms, and he lifted him up effortlessly, one hand under Taehyung's knees and another under the boy's back, wrapped around his chest. Jimin spun around with Taehyung in his arms, dipping him down so that his head was just above the ground, Jimin's face inches from his own.

Taehyung's face was bright red, and whether that was from the close proximity or having all the blood in his body rushing to his head from being upside-down, he didn't know, but it was not pleasant, and he quickly hit Jimin a few times to put him down.

Jimin did just that and grinned when Hoseok whistled lowly, Seokjin clapping along. Jungkook just smirked, unimpressed, and made his way over to Taehyung. He bent down in front of him, gesturing for Taehyung to put his legs over Jungkook's shoulder so that the younger's head was poking out from between them.

Hesitantly, Taehyung did just that, and soon he was lifted into the air, Jungkook's arms wrapped tightly around Taehyung's calves.

"Whoa, Jungkookie! My house is not tall enough for this, I'm going to hit my head on the-"

Thump

"-ceiling."

Jungkook brought Taehyung down almost immediately, patting his head a few times to make sure that he was okay.

"Yes, yes. I'm fine, Jungkookie. Don't worry about it."

Jimin watched them fret over each other with a disappointed look in his eyes, upset that his plan didn't work. He looked at Hoseok expectantly, and Hoseok just nodded to him, an idea already planted in his brain.

Taehyung smiled brightly and was about to head over to the couch to sit with Hoseok and Seokjin, but Hoseok bounced off the couch, hopping towards them with a sly expression on his face.

"My turn! My turn!"

Taehyung blinked, looking at Hoseok with wide eyes.

"Your turn for what?"

Hoseok snorted like it was the most obvious thing in the world, gesturing to the air around them.

"My turn for the strength contest, duh. I mean, I'm probably not as strong as Jiminnie or Kookie over here, but I do have some muscle, you gotta give me that much. And it's not like I can't lift anything, either. Let me try, too!"

Jungkook seemed to narrow his eyes at Hoseok's proposition, but Taehyung agreed, expecting nothing more that just that; a strength competition.

Hoseok let a smirk come over his face for just a second before he wiped it off his face, but Jungkook caught it and a bad feeling grew in his stomach. Taehyung, being the oblivious child that he knew he was, didn't notice anything and just stood, ready for Hoseok to do whatever.

"Okay, let's go!"

Hoseok walked right up to Taehyung, stared him in the eye for a few seconds before launching him over his shoulder, his hands inching a bit too close to Taehyung's for Jungkook's liking. Taehyung didn't seem to notice, however, too busy trying to figure out what just happened and how he wasn't dead yet.

Hoseok then decided to bring Taehyung back down, in front of the couch, held low to the ground like Jimin had done earlier, but doing it with much more finesse and practice that it had Taehyung's heart racing. Their faces were so close that Taehyung could feel Hoseok's breath on his face, and he did his best to breathe out as little as he could, only letting out a shaky breath once he was stood back up.

His face was hot and much pinker than he would have liked, and Taehyung fanned himself as he sat on the sofa.

He didn't notice how Jungkook's fists were clenched by his sides, but Jimin did and grinned to Seokjin. Suddenly, he shot a hand up, pulling Seokjin along with him as he stood up.

"Jin and I have to go do something! We'll be right back!"

Taehyung looked at them with a crazed look on his face, blinking at them rapidly.

"What the hell do you need to do in my house? This is, like I just said, my house."

Jimin just shushed him loudly, waving him away with a hand.

"Don't think about it, Tae. Just- don't. We'll be back soon, so absolutely just do not worry a single thing about it. Keep every little hair on your head in place by not caring about whatever we're going to do."

Taehyung looked at him like he was crazy, his eyes wide.

"That's even more disconcerting, Jimin. What the hell are you doing in my house? Are you cheating on Yoongi? You know how he feels about that. He's going to be so damn devastated, Jimin. You better not be cheating on him. You're my best friend, but I swear to god, if you do that to him, I'm going to have to hurt you."

Jimin's shoulders deflated as he looked Taehyung in the eye, his arms hanging down by his sides.

"Taehyung, I would never do that to him, and it hurts that you think I would even consider it. I know what I'm doing, okay? So please, just don't worry about it."

Taehyung bit down on his lip, guilt slipping into him as he watched Jimin slowly tug Seokjin away again.

He felt like he had just crossed a line that he shouldn't have crossed, and now he was afraid that it was going to be too hard to fix.


Seokjin looked at Jimin with concerned eyes as soon as they stepped into the kitchen, and Jimin just looked at him, unamused and disappointment apparent on his face.

"What? Do you need something?"

Seokjin placed a hand on Jimin's shoulder, looking at Jimin softly.

"Jimin, you know that Taehyung didn't mean it that way. You know that he only wants the best for everyone, and he would never think that you would actually cheat on Yoongi. With me, especially. Like, sorry Jimin, but no matter how hot you are, my heart belongs to Joonie because I am a Loyal Hoe™."

Jimin looked at Seokjin and Seokjin heard a high pitched noise, looking around the kitchen before he realized that it was Jimin screaming quietly to himself.

"Why are you making that noise?"

"Why did you say that?"

Seokjin nodded, lips pressed together in a thin line.

"True. You're right. I have no idea why I said that. Please ignore that. Forever, preferably."

He shook his head, hands flying out to clear the air. Literally.

"Anyway, that's not the point. What the point is, is that Taehyung really cares for everyone. He loves you, Jimin, and he knows that you would never try to hurt Yoongi, especially after learning what happened to him. He just learned to love Yoongi too, and he doesn't want him to go through anything else. You know how big of a heart Taehyung has, and you know that it's the purest one out there. He didn't mean to hurt you, and I'm sure he feels terrible now. So do you think you can forgive him for being an idiot that doesn't know how to make a proper sentence?"

Jimin laughed at the last part, nodding with wet eyes.

"Yeah, you're right. I shouldn't have said that, right? I bet he feels terrible. Man, I'll apologize to him when we go back out there. I did want to talk about something with you, after all. I feel like we should do that."

Seokjin looked a little surprised, as though he didn't realize that Jimin might actually need to say something to him, but he gestured and let the boy talk.

"Okay, well, did you notice how, when I basically flirted with Taehyung, Jungkook didn't really react? But as soon as Hobi got near him, he got super defensive and prickly? Well, I'm thinking that we use that. Somehow use Hoseok and make Jungkook super jealous and ask Taehyung out right then and there."

Seokjin nodded, but he pursed his lips towards the end.

"Well, asking him out might be pushing it a little, but I do agree that we should use Hobi as the jealousy agent. Kook seems to kinda have something against him being near Taehyung."

Jimin hummed, tapping lightly against the table.

"Maybe he still thinks that Hobi likes Tae."

Seokjin's smile grew wide and he looked at Jimin with a wicked grin.

"Let's use that."


Jimin and Seokjin basically frolicked out of the kitchen, hand in hand and waving them back and forth.

Hoseok raised an eyebrow, but Jimin just smirked at him, nodding once when neither Taehyung nor Jungkook was looking at him. That seemed to be all the signal that Hoseok needed, though, and he grinned widely. Jimin put up a finger, asking Hoseok to wait just one second.

"Hey, Tae, can I talk to you for a second?"

Taehyung nodded quickly, stumbling over to talk with Jimin. Jimin slipped his hand out of Seokjin's, and he and Taehyung headed over to the next room, leaving Hoseok on the couch by himself, Seokjin finding the ground rather comfortable, and Jungkook trying to figure out what mind games Hoseok was trying to play on him right now.

He couldn't figure it out, though, and eventually Jimin and Taehyung came back, smiles wide on their faces and Taehyung's arm hooked around Jimin's neck.

"Okay! Everything's cool! Jiminnie suggested we watch something, so what do you guys want to watch?"

Jungkook's hand shot into the air and he looked very earnest, waving his hand back and forth.

"We should watch Yuri!!! On Ice! It's such a good anime! There are definitely some parts that aren't exactly, appropriate, for younger audiences-"

"Do you mean yourself?"

"Shut up. Anyway, it's a very good anime with very good relationships and it's beautiful and wonderful and the characters are so supportive and everything about it is perfect and come on we have to there's only like ten episodes out so far it isn't hurting anyone that'll just take about three and a half hours so not too long and it'll be so worth it like why would you not want to expose yourself to figure skating anime?"

Everyone blinked at him, not realizing his passion for figure skating anime. Jungkook just blinked back, shrugging his shoulders.

"I mean, or we could continue watching Haikyuu!! It's in its third season, though, Yuri!!! On Ice is just the first season right now. It seems easier for newbies to start."

Taehyung clicked his tongue, shaking his head at Jungkook.

"My dear Jungkookie, you are assuming that I haven't watched the other two seasons of Haikyuu!!, when, in fact, I have. Quite good, the kagehina is amazing. I give it a 10/10. Also, you're assuming that I haven't already seen Yuri!!! On Ice too. I do enjoy my fair share of sports anime."

Jungkook's mouth formed a small 'o' shape before he nodded, thinking about what other animes were out there.

"Well, there's always Occultic;Nine-"

Jimin stuck his arms out in a big 'X', shaking his head wildly.

"Nope. I saw a gif of that anime once. It was just this girl with huge bouncing across the screen. I am Not Here For That™, Jungkookie. Also, why are you watching animes with girls like that? I thought you didn't like those ones."

Jungkook nodded, but he stopped Jimin in his thoughts.

"You see, my dear Jiminnie, while Ryo-tas may have huge , it's all part of the thing. You know how anime is 'known' for those girls with huge s? Well, they're just making fun of it in this anime. Yeah, sure, Gamotan likes them, but they're really only in there comically because they're making fun of the huge stereotype. It's not actually relevant to anything, and all the other girls have normal sized s. All part of the show, Chim. The first episode is like, wicked demon speed fast, but the rest are pretty well paced. Like the name suggests, it's about the occult, and it's really neat."

Taehyung shrugged his shoulders, looking to Seokjin, Hoseok and Jimin for their opinions. Jimin just nodded, accepting his defeat, and Taehyung handed his laptop over to Jungkook to find the anime.

While he did that, Taehyung crawled onto the couch and laid beside Hoseok who quickly pulled him into a hug, Taehyung's head tucked against Hoseok's neck. He wrapped an arm around Taehyung's waist gently, sinking into the couch.

When Jungkook turned to sit next to Taehyung on the couch, he was shocked to see how comfortable Taehyung looked in Hoseok's hold. He felt an uncomfortable feeling well up in him again, Hoseok's smirk only adding fuel to the fire burning in him.

Jungkook slid beside Taehyung nonetheless, letting the first episode play.

He quickly noticed that Taehyung was unable to keep up, the subtitles flying by way too quickly and the concept of the show floating into one ear and shooting straight out of the other. Hoseok wasn't much help either, laughing at the lame jokes instead of trying to understand it.

Jungkook really didn't like where Hoseok's hand was lingering, playing with the hem of Taehyung's shirt. He shifted where he was sitting, his eyes drifting to the shirt every now and then.

He couldn't deal with it anymore and leaned down into Taehyung's ear, making the older boy jump from the sudden rush of air next to his ear.

"Tae, are you understanding everything?"

And as he tried to hear Taehyung's response, Jungkook slyly stuck a hand between Taehyung and Hoseok, pulling Taehyung closer to him until Hoseok eventually let go altogether, Taehyung now leaning against Jungkook as the younger boy quietly explained to him.

They ended up sitting with Taehyung's back against Jungkook's chest, Jungkook's arms linked together on top of his stomach.

It was petty, but Jungkook smiled against Taehyung's shoulder as he thought to himself, now it was his turn to play with Taehyung's shirt.

And he did so freely.

Sometime during the next episode, Jimin turned to glance at Jungkook and Taehyung who now looked like some cheesy couple who didn't know what personal space meant, and he deemed it a Mission Success.

He carefully stuck his thumb into the air, and Hoseok gestured back to him, his eyes not leaving the TV once.

Jimin winked at Seokjin, and the older man just smiled, looking back to the TV with content eyes, and though Taehyung would never admit it, he was very happy that his friends suggested this.

"You know, I still don't get why they had to make her have huge s, though."

"IT'S ART, JIMIN! ART!"


a/n: /coughs lowkey calling you out Sugainfires10

btw have you guys watched hannibal my friend is getting me into it

it's very good so far i love it but i'm on like episode 6 or something so please no spoilers ;;

yo tae must have a really nice house now that i think about it considering i make them meet up there like 24/7 even tho chim lives right next door

also yes i'm watching hq, yoi and occultic;nine rn (also watching my ultimate love natsume yuujinchou 5 (this is my most favourite anime ever like, not even joking i've watched all 5 seasons multiple times and i love this anime so ing much)) but kissanime servers are down rn does anyone know any good anime streaming websites (btw, not anilinkz pls)