Chapter 25

'Betterer' Isn't a Word

Jimin sat in front of the fan, absentmindedly yelling into the spinning blades and mindlessly giggling at how it made himself sound funny. He grabbed onto both sides of it and all but shoved his face in the metal cage, eyes falling shut.

Suddenly, a cold, sticky, wet pole-like object was against his cheek, and Jimin groaned before dropping his arms and turning around.

"Taehyung, I swear to god, if you try to shove a popsicle into my mouth one more time, I'm going to rip your blanket in half and then I'm going to snap you in half. Shut the up and watch the movie."

Taehyung just whined and squirmed, flailing his limbs around wildly.

"Okay, two things about that: one, you're literally yelling into a fan. How am I supposed to focus on anything when you're yelling into a fan? Secondly, it's summer, Jiminnie! It's too hot, I'm not built to survive this kind of weather. I was built to live and survive in the winter. I thrive in the harsh snowy terrains, with my trusty husky companion and only the clothes on my back."

"Don't forget your space heater and fifty winter jackets. Tae, you hate basically all the seasons except for fall. Something about your stupid autumn aesthetic or whatever, right? Don't act like you suddenly love winter because it's summertime right now. Anyway, try watching the movie. I'll stop yelling, so pay attention. I wanted you to watch it for a reason."

Taehyung snorted, turning his attention back to the television anyway.

"What reason could you have to make me watch this? Unless this is your cruel way of trying to be funny, I don't see what's to love about it. It's called Summer Wars, for 's sake. Why is anyone having a war in summer? Like I said before, way too hot!"

Jimin rolled his eyes and flicked Taehyung's nose.

"You idiot. Just watch it."


Taehyung was crying and Jimin was holding tissues against his face expectantly.

"I literally told you that you were going to cry, and you didn't ing believe me, did you? No, you didn't! But look at you now, Kim Taehyung. You're ing bawling your eyes out and I'm here with tissues because it's my obligation as your friend. And because I 100% brought the movie over and forced you to watch it, but still, you ."

Taehyung simply continued to cry, pulling Jimin closer to him.

"Jiminnie! It's such a sad movie! I can't believe you would even try showing that to me! I feel betrayed! It was so sad! They, they-"

Jimin sighed and covered Taehyung's mouth with his hand so that he would stop talking. Muffled noises were coming out of his body but Jimin just ignored them with a sigh in his voice.

"Tae, you know, I really wish we could watch a movie once, once, where I say you're going to cry, but then lo and behold, you don't. I wish that could happen, but it never does because you're a little ."

That sobered him up and Taehyung's tears immediately stopped, biting down on Jimin's hand.

"Hey, at least I'm not as bad as Jungkook. Look at him. He's been there since basically the beginning of the movie. Just, dying. I don't know how else you could even begin to describe it, like, there's literally no other way. He is physically incapable of doing anything other than cry right now."

Jimin sighed again, watching Jungkook, curled into a ball, sobbing his little heart out on the floor of Taehyung's living room.

"Kook, come on, I'm sorry that I showed you such a sad movie, but you have to get over it. We have to watch Wolf Children next. It's by the same director and, if you cried super hard at this one, you're going to die at the next one. Please stop crying."

There was a sniff, bad attempts at holding back tears loud and audible in the air.

"J-Jimin, I'm so sad."

Jimin sighed once more, getting quite tired but amused at the same time.

"Yes, I know, Jungkook. Both you and Taehyung are the saddest people on the earth right now, and there's nothing we can do about that except watch more sad movies to try and mend your heart for a few minutes until we break it into smithereens again. Right? So how about we get to that, okay? You can have all the ice cream in Taehyung's freezer to make yourself feel better."

"HEY!"

Jimin shushed Taehyung, gently closing his eyes and patting the younger's hands.

"Don't worry about it, Taehyung. He needs it more than you, and besides, it's not like you just weren't going to let him have it."

Taehyung crossed his arms over his chest and mumbled something about an ungrateful little ingrate coming into his house and stealing all his food, but he begrudgingly got up and got the ice cream for Jungkook anyway.

Jungkook happily took the ice cream with wide arms and doe eyes, and Taehyung's heart melted as he crouched down and brought a hand down to play with Jungkook's hair.

"Don't worry about it, okay, Kookie? I'm here for you!"

Jungkook nodded and smiled a watery smile, his front bunny teeth showing just the slightest.

Taehyung swore his heart was trying to punch its way out of his chest, and he almost fell backward from the feeling.

"Thanks, Tae."

He swallowed hard.

"N-no problem, Jungkook. Absolutely no problemo."

Jimin raised an eyebrow skeptically as Taehyung went to stand up, but was ultimately pulled back down by Jungkook and forced to sit beside the youngest in the room. Taehyung smiled at Jimin sheepishly, silently apologizing for abandoning him.

Jimin simply shrugged his shoulders, sinking into the sofa.

"You two should just already."

Both their heads whirled around.

"What did you just say?"

"I SAID YOU TWO SHOULD PUT THE MOVIE ON ALREADY. WHAT ELSE WOULD I HAVE SAID? HAHA, YOU GUYS, MAYBE YOU NEED TO CHECK YOUR HEARING. THERE IS NOTHING ELSE- okay I'm going to cut myself off right there just put the movie on please."


Namjoon busted open the door to Yoongi's house.

"Hey, Yoongi, you in here?"

There was a shuffle of footsteps and Yoongi came down the stairs, his hand in his hair and his eyes completely closed. A baggy hoodie hung loosely around his shoulders, drawstrings uneven lengths and halfway down the front of his chest. Grey sweat pants completed the look, and Namjoon could have sworn that Yoongi could just melt into that pile of clothes at any minute.

"You're in my house, Namjoon. Of course I'm here. Where else would I be on summer vacation?"

Namjoon whistled lowly, taking his shoes off as he walked into the house.

"That's the point, Yoongi my boy-"

"You're younger than me."

"Yoongi my man. That is exactly the point. We're on vacation, right? So we should be doing vacation-y things! Now, I don't mean anything crazy like going to a different country. The oldest ones are you and Jin, and you're still only seventeen. Out of the country excursions are not happening. What I mean is, we should go do something together! Like, as a group!"

Yoongi raised an eyebrow, a yawn taking over him as he slid his feet across the tiling in his house and over towards the kitchen.

"Something as a group? That doesn't involve parents, I'm assuming? You gotta keep in mind that we still have Jungkook with us, and even though he may be stronger than all of us combined, he's still the youngest here. I'm not sure his parents are gonna be too keen on a lot of things."

Namjoon pursed his lips, joining Yoongi at his dinner table.

"I know, which is why I came here to ask you. I was thinking, maybe we could do paintball! But then I realized that it's not much of a summer thing. You can go paintballing any time you're free, which is what I figured with laser tag too. I'm actually really bad at planning stuff out if you couldn't tell. Seokjin's usually the one who does this, but I wanted it to be a surprise for him, you know? I wanted it to be a surprise for everyone, actually, but I'm hopeless. I have no idea what to do. Should we just watch a movie? But that's lame. I don't know what to do! Yoongi, please, help me."

Yoongi simply sighed, tapping his fingers against the table lightly.

"Well, this is just an idea, and I seriously just want you to consider it. Only consider. You definitely do not have to choose it. We could go camping, but again, it's just an idea! I'm sure that there are a ton more out there and you really, really don't need to pick it."

But as soon as the word had come out of Yoongi's mouth, he had regretted it. Namjoon's face had instantly lit up and he was only a few pine needles short of being a bright green Christmas tree.

Yoongi sighed and buried his face in his hands.

"Yoongi, that's a wonderful idea!"

"I know," he groaned.

Namjoon suddenly pulled a pen and paper out from his bag, instantly making notes of what to do and what they should bring. He had somehow managed to drag Yoongi into the last thing he wanted to do, and it was all Yoongi's fault.

"I can't believe I said that. Why did it have to come out of my mouth?"

Namjoon tilted his head to the side, looking at Yoongi curiously.

"What do you mean? Camping's supposed to be a ton of fun! You know, we get to sleep outside under the stars, catch some fish, learn to scavenge for food! There's a ton of stuff to do! We also get to go on hikes and look at nature in its own element! It's so exciting!"

Yoongi rolled his eyes.

"What you just said is why I don't want to go. We have to sleep on the ground in the thirty-degree weather, catch our own food, walk a ton and look at green plants that just turn into more green plants. Additionally, some of those green plants are literally poisonous. No joke, they can kill you."

Namjoon simply waved his hand in front of Yoongi's face, his head shaking in time with it.

"No no, you've got it all wrong. Camping's great. You'll see. You're going to have so much fun with everyone else, it'll be like you never want to leave."

Yoongi closed his eyes and stuffed his face into the crook of his arm.

"Yeah, I'm sure."


Jimin all but yelled into the air, one man under each arm, both sobbing like there was no tomorrow.

A tear of his own slipped down his face, but not from the movie. Rather, it was from the pain and the terrors that came with being friends with one Kim Taehyung and one Jeon Jungkook. Indeed, it was a pain that few knew, and to be quite honest, one that didn't seem that worth it.

"JIMIN, IT WAS SO-"

"-sad, yes, I know. You've been crying about it for twenty minutes. I am more than well aware."

Taehyung simply sniffled and grabbed onto Jimin's clothes even tighter than he was before, causing Jimin to let another tear roll down his own face. Jungkook's face was pressed into his side, his nose digging into Jimin's ribcage and his fingers stabbing into his stomach.

"Oh my god, guys, please! Go cry on each other if you're going to keep crying at all! I need to do other stuff that doesn't involve you two making me into an ocean. Please, I will come back and I will gladly listen to you talk about all the sad things, but not right now, not with all these tears. There's so many. So many."

Jungkook and Taehyung both got up, Jungkook's lips quivering and Taehyung's hands clenched together. They moved onto the floor where they grabbed onto each other, and sure enough, they were crying once again.

Jimin took a deep breath.

"You're both hopeless."

Then he walked out of the room and upstairs, pulling his phone out in the process.

While the wailing continued downstairs, Jimin scrolled through his contacts until he found the one he was looking for, a small smile making its way onto his face as he quickly pressed the green dial icon.

It rang once, twice, before a raspy voice came on from the other side.

"Hey, sunshine. What's up?"

Jimin smiled, his fingers wrapping around the bottom of his shirt.

"Nothing much, Yoongi. Just wondering how you were doing. I just managed to get away from Taehyung and Jungkook since they're both crying their hearts out and I see no stopping anywhere in the near future."

He imagined the question marks that just appeared above Yoongi's head and let out a light laugh.

"I showed them Summer Wars and then Wolf Children right after."

Yoongi let out a shallow gasp.

"No, you didn't. No way. That's just unfair. You can't unload both of those movies onto them at once. You need to give them time to prepare themselves, you know? For the sweetness of the films to the absolute despair you'll feel by the end of them. You have to let them prepare, sunshine."

Jimin smirked.

"I know. I am well aware. I just thought they deserved it."

Jimin heard him shake his head.

"Where did my sweet little Jiminnie go? What happened to him?"

"Oh, he's still here, Yoongi. He's just reserved only for you!"

Jimin heard some movement on the other end of the phone call before a distant voice called out to him.

"Lame! That was lame! Park Jimin, you are the King of Lame™! Why would you ever say that? Do you know how cheesy that was? Super cheesy. Full of cheese. Cheese to the maximum. I cannot believe you."

Jimin raised an amused eyebrow, Yoongi's voice yelling at Namjoon to 'shut the up and eat his pudding cup.'

There was a cough before Jimin realized that Yoongi was back on the other end of the line, having taken care of his slight problem with Namjoon.

"Anyway, he may be gone for now, but nothing will ever change you, sunshine. You'll always be my number one, and you'll always hold the same place in my heart. I love every bit of you."

There were physical retching noises on the other end, and Jimin had to stop himself from laughing too hard.

"I take it back! I take it all back, Jimin! Yoongi here is the real king of being lame! You both , though!"

Jimin couldn't stop himself from laughing as he heard Yoongi threaten to beat Namjoon with a stick that he somehow found in his room, and he couldn't have imagined any better for today.

Once everything settled back down, Yoongi's voice changed in tone.

"Oh yeah, I almost forgot!"

Jimin tilted his head to the side even though he knew that Yoongi couldn't see him.

"What is it?"

There was silence on the other end for a minute, and Jimin assumed that Yoongi was either walking away from where Namjoon was sitting, or he was confirming with Namjoon about something they had discussed earlier.

"We're gonna be going camping next week. With everyone. Namjoon wants us all to do something for the summer. Not sure how long it'll be yet, but if we can, we want it to be at least three days. Depends on how everyone's parents act, though. Namjoon and I have already both been cleared for a week out."

Jimin's eyes sparkled.

"Hell yeah! I haven't been camping in such a long time! This is great! I'll tell Tae and Kook when I get back down there. Namjoon can tell Jinnie, right? I'll text Hobi, too, unless you've already done it."

Jimin heard Yoongi shake his head over the phone.

"No, I haven't done it yet. We just talked about it, after all. I'll text him in a second, so don't worry about it. You just let Taehyung and Jungkook know, and then be sure to tell me what they say, okay? Oh, and also, there's another thing about that I wanted to talk to you about."

Jimin hummed, encouraging Yoongi to go on.

"Do you think we could use this as an opportunity to get them together? I mean, I know Tae said something about waiting for Jungkook to get into high school before he could even consider dating him, but they both painfully like each other and they're the only ones that haven't noticed yet, you know? So I was thinking that we stuff them into a tent together and see where things go from there."

Jimin blinked a few times, unsure of where that suddenly came from but enjoying the idea nonetheless.

"Yeah! That sounds like a great idea! And you just thought of that? Wow, that's my Yoongi right there! It sounds like a good plan. Let's see how things go. Oh, wait, but that's not exciting."

Jimin waited for a second until Yoongi understood his implication, a questioning noise soon making its way out of his mouth.

"What?"

Jimin grinned.

"I bet ten bucks that they'll be together by the end of the second day we're there." 


a/n: i would like everyone to know that i have never in my life gone camping before

i have no particular feelings towards it

other than that

!!! i updated within a month omg this is like a record

i am so sorry about my recent lack of updates ;; it's actually exam week and i don't have an exam tomorrow, so i was writing for a bit :) i've already finished two exams tho and my final one is for math, so wish me luck!

btw, i decided to speed things up a bit so the story might actually be ending soon!!!!! not within the next chapter or anything, but i don't think we're going to get that much further...

it's been a great ride with all of you thus far! i hope you all stay to see how it ends, and thank you for staying with me throughout all of this <3

you guys are the best readers i could ask for ^^