Chapter 26

'Betterer' Isn't a Word

Taehyung was passed out in the car, his face pressed up against a window, and honestly, Jungkook wasn't sure how he wasn't wide awake by now. The road was anything but smooth, and Taehyung's head had knocked against the glass at least thirty-two times now.

Oh.

Make that thirty-three.

Jungkook puffed out his cheeks and thought to himself.

Maybe Taehyung was dead. Maybe that's why he wasn't waking back up. It would make sense, considering that Taehyung didn't seem to be breathing that hard, but Jungkook also figured that it might be due to the fact that Taehyung was a really heavy sleeper and he had once slept through Jimin trying to blast an air horn directly in his ear because Taehyung didn't clean up after himself.

So yes, Jungkook figured that Taehyung was asleep and thus was not dead, but it certainly did not stop him from being any less concerned about the poor boy's head, and so Jungkook kindly offered his shoulder to the slumbering man, almost pulling the boy's head onto his outstretched limb.

"Ha, Jungkook, you're a loser."

He glared at Hoseok with a fiery gaze, Hoseok returning the look with his tongue stuck out and eyes squinted together for the whole world to see.

"You know what, Hoseok? You can just shut the frick up because I am the one who is being slept on by Taehyung, okay? Not you. So you can take your whole tongue-sticking-out business and you can shove it right up the wazoo because I do not give two hoots on what you're opinion is."

Hoseok raised an eyebrow, Jimin voicing his thoughts for him.

"Oh man, someone's a good little Christian boy all of a sudden."

Jungkook shot daggers in Jimin's direction this time, jerking his head with such vigour in Seokjin's direction that Jimin was physically concerned about his neck.

"Anyway, Kook, while Taehyung may be sleeping on you, that's due to the fact that one, you pulled him down onto your shoulder, two, you're the only person sitting next to him and three, his other option was a window. I'm also not sure if you know this, but you and Taehyung aren't exactly dating. That means I still have just as much of a chance as you do!"

Hoseok winked and gladly let Yoongi hit him upside the head when Jungkook had steam basically pouring out of his ears. Jimin simply shook his head because he knew that Hoseok was only saying these things to rile Jungkook up, and he didn't actually want to get with Taehyung anymore. They'd crossed that bridge a long time ago, and now Hoseok only wished for Taehyung to be happy with whoever he chose.

Although, he thought to himself, if that person just so happened to be Hoseok himself, he also would not be complaining.

Seokjin peered into the rearview mirror, taking a quick glance at everyone in the car. The two youngest were in the very back, with Yoongi, Jimin and Hoseok sitting in the next row forward. Yoongi had happily stuffed himself between the two friends so that there were no other misunderstandings in the group. Namjoon was seated in the passenger seat of the van, and, perhaps mistakenly, given the power to the AUX cord.

"Namjoon, honey, I love you and all, but play Tik Tok one more time and I'm literally going to stop this car and push you out. I will not hesitate to leave you on the side of the road with your terrible taste in music."

Yoongi snorted from where he was trying to sleep, Jimin's face buried into his neck.

"You see, Jin, this is why we should've taken Tae's family car. It has Bluetooth connection. We wouldn't have had to deal with Namjoon's odd music taste then."

Seokjin simply shrugged as Namjoon sadly scrolled through his music to try and find a song that he hoped everyone would enjoy. Shinhwa's This Love very soon streamed through the car and everyone was instantly ready to sing along.

To Jungkook's surprise, Taehyung even woke up and started singing just as the first few words came on.


"We live for this-"

"Someone put on Mirotic next."

"DON'T ING INTERRUPT THE BEAUTY OF THIS SONG-"

"LANGUAGE, JUNGKOOK!"


Yoongi stepped out of the car and immediately wrapped a blanket around himself.

"Oh god, it's summer, but why is it so cold up here?"

Jimin ran out from inside the car and jumped on top of Yoongi, hugging him tightly.

"It's because the car was so damn cold! Jesus, you'd think that they'd be able to at least somewhat moderate the temperature of the vehicle they're driving. I'm sure we'll warm up soon, so let's get to where the tents are supposed to go!"

Yoongi smiled at how excited Jimin looked and grabbed his hand, lacing their fingers together.

"The only thing I need to warm up is you, sunshine."

Namjoon walked by them and gagged, his hand entwined with Seokjin's who just clicked his tongue at him in disappoint, pulling him further along. Yoongi scoffed at that, shoving his and Jimin's hand into one of his pockets.

"You're a walking contradiction, Namjoon!"

Namjoon stuck his hand behind his back and gladly flipped Yoongi off so that Seokjin didn't see, walking with the older man to where they quickly got their campsite information, finding their designated spot rather quickly.

A few tents were already set up, simply waiting to be used by them. Yoongi immediately dragged Jimin into one of them, and they gladly slept for the rest of the day. Jungkook simply stood there with an excitable Taehyung next to him, unsure of what to do next.

Seokjin stopped.

"Well, we need to shove people into tents to sleep, and we have four tents to share, so who wants to have their own tent?"

As if by some sort of magic, Jimin was kicked out of his tent and was sat on the ground by himself. He seemed to be immensely surprised, his hair flying in multiple directions and his shirt sliding off his shoulder.

"I'll sleep alone!"

Seokjin pursed his lips, telling Jimin to crawl back into the tent with Yoongi.

"Actually, bad idea. Let's just rotate out every night. We're going to be here for a week, after all. That's one night for each of us. Who wants to start? And no, not you, Yoongi. You and Jimin are already in a tent together. Don't even try."

Taehyung put up his hand, his eyes dancing in the light.

"I'll go first! That means I'll get to sleep with someone every night after this, right? I'll gladly do the first night by myself!"

Seokjin grinned and grabbed onto Namjoon's hand, pulling him towards one of the trails.

"Awesome, great, Taehyung! Namjoon and I call the tent over on the far left, so Jungkook and Hobi, you guys are going to share a tent for tonight, okay? Joonie and I are going on a short hike now, we'll be back in two hours! Don't forget to eat and stuff! Go check out some of the stuff they have here while you can. Get familiar with everything! We're going to be here for a while."

They soon disappeared and Taehyung beamed, trodding over to one of the other tents that hadn't been claimed yet. He set his stuff down next to it, unrolling his sleeping bag inside.

Jungkook, on the other hand, stood stoic in the center of the campground. He looked at Hoseok who was smiling brightly at him, and he couldn't help but think that all the gods in the world wanted him to commit murder tonight.

Hoseok, on the other hand, thought that it was funny that Jungkook hated him for a reason that wasn't true considering he liked Jungkook very much. He thought the kid was sweet and actually quite the little charmer.

"I'm really glad to share a tent with you, Kook."

"Up yours."

Hoseok smiled gently, tilting his head in the direction of the tent.

"Here, let's go inside. There seem to be a few things we need to talk about."


Jungkook squatted into the tent behind Hoseok, zipping it up after he got in as per Hoseok's request.

"Ah, my dearest Jeon, welcome to my humble abode."

"It's a tent. You've been in here for less that a minute."

Hoseok waved his hand in front of his face, dismissing what Jungkook just said. He crawled over to the back corner of the tent, cracking open a can of root beer (that Jungkook didn't know where he found) as though it were a real beer.

"Details, details, Jungkook my boy. It doesn't matter if I've been here for a second or for years. What matters is that it is now my humble abode to which I would be more than glad to share with you."

Jungkook raised an eyebrow.

"Okay?"

Hoseok smiled again and placed his faux beer down, clearing the dust off the dirt ground and offering the spot to Jungkook much to the boy's amusement.

"You realize that didn't do anything, right?"

"Shh, it's the thought that counts."

Jungkook allowed himself to let out a snort and made his way over to where Hoseok's hand was still resting, taking a seat down next to the older man. He breathed out a light sigh, staring at the flapping front of the bright orange tent.

"So, what did you want to talk about."

Hoseok stayed quiet for another second before he looked at Jungkook, not speaking until Jungkook looked at him as well. Jungkook was expecting anything from Hoseok, be it a joke or an annoyed remark, but what Jungkook didn't expect was the serious expression that overtook Hoseok's face.

"W-what's going on, Hoseok?"

Hoseok sighed and ran a hand through his hair, unsure of how to start this conversation.

"Listen, Jungkook. Before I even get started, I want you to know that I've been thinking about this for a long time, and by no means do I mean to offend you in any way. I know that you're not that great with people and I know that I probably haven't made the best impression on you, but you have to understand that I really do like you a lot. Now, what I really wanted to talk to you about was Taehyung."

Jungkook's breath caught in his throat and he swallowed hard to get rid of the lump that made its way there and wouldn't seem to go away. His palms were clammy and he felt like the tent was suddenly ten degrees hotter.

"What about him?"

Hoseok shook his head and sighed, knowing what Jungkook thought he meant.

"I want you to know that I don't actually still have a crush on him, Kook. I don't know how long you think I have, but I am telling you, it's been a seriously long time since I even thought about it. I've just been teasing you this entire time, you know? And if you don't believe me, you could always ask Chim or Yoongi. They were both in on it. Actually, I think Jin might've been in on it too. The point is, I don't like Taehyung anymore. At least, not in the way you think I do. Of course I still like his as a friend, he's a great person, but all he is is a friend."

Jungkook seemed to be taking some time to understand all of this, the concept and idea of Hoseok no longer being an 'enemy' taking its sweet time to materialize in his head.

"Wait, so you don't want to date Taehyung?"

Hoseok shook his head.

"No, I'm absolutely fine with not doing so. If anything, I want you and Taehyung to get together. You know, no matter what you say to me right now, it's really obvious that you and Taehyung get along really well together. You guys are both very considerate to each other, and you always know what the other one's thinking. It's almost as if you two were made for each other. That's why it's hard seeing you two jump around each other, you know? It's painfully obvious that you both like each other, and if I'm to be honest, I don't really know what's holding you guys back. I know confessing can be really scary, but it'll definitely be worth it. I know you two will be happier than ever together."

Jungkook bit down on his bottom lip, staring down at the ground.

"Do you really think so?"

Hoseok smiled at Jungkook, wrapping an arm around his body gently.

"I really do, Jungkook. You guys are genuinely great around each other, and I can't picture either of you with anyone else. I want to be here to support you guys no matter your choice, though, so if you want to give it a rest for a bit longer, then that's more than fine by me. Take your time and do what you feel is right, okay?"

Jungkook nodded, pulling his knees to his chest and his nose between his legs.

"Yeah, okay. Thanks, Hobi."

Hoseok rubbed his hand up and down Jungkook's arm.

"Of course, Jungkook. Always."


a/n: i had to take a break just to watch the dance mv for this love and i stg if you've never seen it you need to watch it now

and whoAA WHAT IS THiS???? upDATING WITHIN The sAMe w EEK??? WHAAaaaT?? ? ??? ?

lmao bye i need to study for my math exam