Chapter 13

'Betterer' Isn't a Word

dedicated to Mabiaki, dnotelover, Firevein and cachinnation. you guys are amazing for constantly commenting and sticking through this with me and i love you all ;-;


Jungkook, Taehyung, Jimin, Yoongi, Seokjin, Namjoon and Hoseok were all sitting together at a table in this new restaurant that Yoongi said they just 'had to go to'. Yoongi never suggests anything, so everyone was all for it. The green haired male was kind of regretting his decision, though, seeing how they were all acting. Namjoon and Seokjin were feeding each other (Yoongi was so ready to die), Jimin was playing with his food (Yoongi found that endearing. Jungkook thought it was disgusting), Hoseok was lying across the seats, taking up about three seats and forcing Taehyung to basically become Jungkook so that there would be enough space, and Jungkook was trying not to hyperventilate due to being in such close proximity with Taehyung in front of so many people.

Jungkook's not really a people person, alright? Though, we've already established this.

He was also questioning whether Hoseok was lying like that to force Taehyung onto him, or if he was doing it because, well, because he's Hoseok. He didn't really believe that the older boy would be trying to help him get together with Taehyung, though, and thus he dismissed the thought quickly.

So they were all eating, some playing (Jimin), others sleeping, a few flirting but nonetheless all having fun. Yoongi spoke up and made a motion in the general direction of Taehyung and Jungkook.

"So, Tae, what'd you do for your birthday last week?"

Taehyung thought about it for a second and moved around, forgetting that he was sitting on top of Jungkook and that Jungkook was a very, very hormonal boy. He had to bite down on his bottom lip, eyes rolling to the back of his head as he just waited for Taehyung to stop ing moving because goddamnit he was going to punch him in a second.

Soon enough, the pink haired boy stopped and smiled a bit, not realizing the way Jungkook's shoulders drooped as the tension left his body.

"Well, Chimchim and Kookie came over and we played some MarioKart and no, no matter how many times he says it, Jungkookie did not beat us into the ground and then proceed to rub it in our faces. No he did not. He was just slightly better than us and I have no idea where the hell he learned to play like that because it sure as hell wasn't from us and he doesn't really have any other friends so who would help him learn the secret passages in each level and why does he have such good luck when it comes to the item boxes like he got red and blue shells every time I thought there was a thing that stopped people in first place from getting those but apparently the rule doesn't apply to Jungkook because he's a ing little who hacks into the system and cheats the coding and makes sure that he's the only person who will ever win and goddamnit why is he so good at it like it's uncanny how good of a player he is but if he didn't cheat like the little satan spawn that he is then I know that he wouldn't win because I know that I'm a better player than both him and Jiminnie combined because we used to play together all the time and Jungkook was never this good like I don't know what happened and how Jungkook learned to hack into the system like that and he's such a small cinnamon roll why would he do that I thought he was an innocent little bun-"

"Taehyung. Please."

Yoongi regretted asking anyone any questions ever. He was questioning why he had become friends with these idiots in the first place.

Seokjin suddenly put up his hand, swallowing the food in his mouth before speaking (because he's not a monster, okay, he knows how to act decently in public places).

"Actually, Jungkookie and I play MarioKart all the time. It's one of my passions."

Agreeing with him, Jungkook nodded against Taehyung's shoulder, his hair grazing the older's ear and sending a chill down the pink haired boy's spine. He moved suddenly, Jungkook leaning into his ear and whispering softly as Seokjin went off about his love of Mario that could rival his love for Namjoon.

"You okay?"

Taehyung nodded, his eyelids fluttering for a second as he took a shallow breath in, exhaling shakily.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine."

Jungkook's face scrunched together in concern for a second before the emotion was wiped off of it, instead burying his head into Taehyung's neck and giving the boy a quick squeeze. Seokjin noticed it out of the corner of his eye and smirked, continuing to ramble off about how he should be Princess Peach and be rescued by his only savior, Mario.

"Honestly, I love Mario so much. Like, he's a plumber so he's obviously got to be busy, but he just makes the time to come and rescue Peach with his brother on some occasions and he's so passionate and loves what he does. I need someone like that in my life."

Yoongi snorted as Namjoon's jaw dropped open, the tall man quickly grabbing onto Seokjin's hands and staring into his eyes as if he'd never see his boyfriend again.

"Am I not passionate enough for you? I'm sorry I don't have a brother, I can try to convince my sister to help me plan stuff for us? Take you shopping, maybe? I swear I will do my best to do everything I can for you, to make you understand how passionate I am for you. Oh, wait, actually, I love red Converse highs. I love them so much. Do you see this right now? I'm wearing Converse highs right now. They're not red, but I love them on the person I love. I would love it so much if you wore red Converse highs, Jinnie, and-"

"Is this your roundabout way of telling me that you love me? Because that's really what it's sounding like right now. Actually, it just sounds like a mess, but I think I understand the idea."

Seokjin smiled at a now blushing Namjoon and he lightly pressed a kiss to his lips, he pulled away and they looked at each other like nothing else in the world mattered.

"I love you too, Namjoonie-"

"Gross. Okay. Moving on."

Jimin made some retching noises as he held his stomach, Yoongi's lips turning down into a frown as he voiced his thoughts. Jungkook just rolled his eyes as Taehyung let out a tiny squeal, slapping the younger boy's knee and pointing to where Namjoon and Seokjin were now rubbing their noses together. He whispered quietly, only letting Jungkook hear him.

"Isn't that just so cute, Kookie? Aww, I wish I had someone to do that with..."

Jungkook's face faltered, the boy furrowing his eyebrows together and hold around Taehyung loosening. The pink haired man turned around at the lack of response and saw Jungkook's angry face, and he quickly grabbed ahold of the blond's chin.

"What's wrong, Kookie?"

Jungkook's eyes were wide, lips pursed like a fish. He tried speaking, but his words came out as mumbles and his lips only moved the slightest. Taehyung burst out into laughter, causing everyone else to stare at them.

"Aww, look at you! You're a little goldfish~ You're so cute, Jungkookie!"

The boy raised his eyebrows, letting Taehyung continue to squish his face while he looked around at the rest of their friends. Hoseok was too busy laughing at him to do anything, Jimin was trying to keep his giggles down as he took literally eight billion pictures, Seokjin and Namjoon just called him cute and let him be, and Yoongi frowned once more, knowing that Jungkook was doing his best to not just jump Taehyung right then and there.

It to have an unrequited crush, and Yoongi more than just knew that.

He was living it.

He shook his head, looking at Jimin who was currently slapping Hoseok's stomach to get him up so that he could show the older boy his pictures of Jungkook. There was a bright smile on his face and Yoongi couldn't help but let one creep up onto his own. Jungkook eyed him from a distance, getting really in' ticked off with Taehyung still pretending he was a fish.

The young boy managed to catch Jimin's eye, and with the slightest movement of his head, he got the small brunet to look over to where Yoongi was sitting, and thus, staring at him.

The green haired man's eyes widened as he realized that Jimin had just caught him staring at him with a really stupid smile on his face and he looked away faster than he should have, face redder than it had probably ever been before.

Jimin looked at Jungkook with confusion written all over his face, and the young boy just shrugged his shoulders before he finally hit Taehyung's arm.

"Goddamnit, Tae. That was annoying! Please, in the future, refrain from doing that again."

"Language, Jeon Jungkook!"

"Oh my god, Jin, you're not my mother! No matter how many times you say it, I am my own person! I am a man!"

That elicited some laughter from the entire group.

"Okay, Jungkookie, you little twelve year old who still has yet to lose his baby fat, you're a man! A manly man! The manliest of men!" Namjoon was egging him on, reaching across the table to give the boy a light punch to the arm, however, Seokjin was quick to hit him, disapproval evident in his expression.

"Kim Namjoon. You do not have to be 'manly' to be considered a man. A 'man' can be as 'feminine' or as 'masculine' as they want, and no one has the right to judge them for that. A man can be whatever they want to be, and they should not be confined to the definition of a 'man' that society has wildly made up for them. This goes the same to a 'female'. You are your own person, Namjoon. No one should think or tell you otherwise. Do all of you understand that?"

He pointed at all of them, and they all solemnly nodded their heads.

The mood in the room had significantly gone down, and Jungkook reached around Taehyung to feed himself. The pink haired boy brought the food a little closer to him, and Jungkook weakly smiled in thanks.

The air was tense, and it wasn't until Yoongi let out a loud sigh that everyone looked up from their plates (sans Jungkook who was staring at the expanse of skin that was Kim Taehyung's neck).

"I have something to confess, guys."

Jungkook's eyes rounded, and he looked at Jimin quickly who in turn looked all around him because he thought he was in trouble.

"Oh my god, Yoongi, what is it? Did you do something wrong? Are you going to jail- , did someone see you carrying me around last week and thought you were some sort of kidnapper- oh my god- Yoongi- are you- ah-"

Jimin was flustered, throwing his hands onto Yoongi's face and then throwing them onto Hoseok's chest and then throwing them onto his lap and then staring at Jungkook to try to help him and then staring at Taehyung because he was afraid that Yoongi was dying now and holy he was not okay at the moment.

"Jimin. Literally. No. I was going to say, yesterday I went to the hospital-"

"I KNEW IT, TAEHYUNG! HE'S DYING. YOONGI, PLEASE, WHAT SORT OF DISEASE DO YOU HAVE? DO YOU NEED A BLOOD TRANSFER? ARE OUR BLOOD TYPES COMPATIBLE OR WHATEVER IT IS- CAN I SAVE YOU? YOONGI, PLEASE DON'T DIE ON ME-"

"Oh my ing god Park Jimin will you please shut the hell up no I am not dying okay jesus christ I just went to the hospital because my mom works there and she set me up with this one girl and I have a date with her soon okay that's all I wanted to say."

The small brunet's jaw dropped to the ground before he snapped it back into place, nodding stiffly and turning away from Yoongi's direction. He sat there for a second, and no one said anything as they watched the normally energetic boy sit there, staring at his yet unfinished food.

He suddenly pushed his chair back and stood up.

"I-I have to go to the bathroom. I'll be right back."

Yoongi started to get up to follow him, but Jungkook looked at him, not angry, more disappointed. He lightly hit Taehyung's to get the older boy to stand up, and then Jungkook slid over and away from the table. He trailed behind Jimin, slipping into the washroom behind him.

Yoongi gulped and poked randomly at his plate. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Seokjin give everyone a look and then they all continued eating. Hoseok, however, didn't get the message and asked a question.

"I thought you were gay, Yoongi?"

The mint green haired man didn't even look up, just shrugging his shoulders.

"Gender doesn't really matter to me, I guess."


a/n: ye i know i skipped tae's birthday but i really got to get this timeline going because we got to get jungkookie in high school at some point

also, i've been reading so many fake dating taekook stories lately they're so wonderful