Chapter 18

'Betterer' Isn't a Word

a/n: hey guys i know it's been about a month now? i'm sorry, and i have no excuse other than the fact that i'm an awful person :)) sorry for the unannounced hiatus of sorts. besides, i don't even really know if people are still reading this...? meh whatever i am seeing this through to the end

i've expanded my views on a lot of bangtan and so some minor things will change but i won't go back and edit the whole story so dw


Jungkook clenched his teeth, spitting his words out with venom. Anyone could see that he was clearly seething with anger, and his tight hold on Taehyung's neck didn't help his cause very much.

"Taehyung, you ing knew about this? And you didn't tell me?"

The boy was sweating, refusing to look into Jungkook's eyes as he peered off into space. There was a weak smile painted onto his mouth, the words coming out slowly and shakily.

"W-well, no, I didn't know, to be exact. I just, I heard Chimchim call Yoongi Suga, s-so I asked them about it-"

"But that's it! You didn't ask them anything else! We could have known about this so much sooner if you just asked them! What the hell, Taehyung! Do you think this is some sort of joke?"

At this point, Taehyung was sweating bullets, so Yoongi stuck up his hand, making the youngest look towards him (but unfortunately didn't make him loosen his hold at all).

"To be fair, Jungkook, Jiminnie and weren't even dating yet, right, sunshine?"

The orange headed boy pretended not to blush, leaning into Yoongi.

"That's right Kookie. Suga and I were still in the 'we don't like each other' stage."

Yoongi 

"I'm not sure you would call it that, sunshine. It was more like the 'we totally like each other but no one wants to say anything' stage."

Jimin pursed his lips and smiled, leaning in to give Yoongi a peck on the cheek, smile crinkling his eyes as he looped his arm through the older's outstretched one. 

"Hmm, you're right~ Thank you for correcting me, Suga!"

At this, Jungkook let go of Taehyung's throat, opting instead to make a face of disgust and pretend to throw up. The victim in this situation, Kim Taehyung, immediately reached for his abused neck, frowning as he lightly caressed it. He mumbled to himself, glaring at Jungkook who had now moved towards Jimin, figuring out the best angle that would let him smash Yoongi and Jimin's heads together.

"How the hell did you get so strong... What the actual ... You're still a fetus what the hell."

Jungkook looked up from behind the overly-affectionate couple, eyebrows raised in question. Taehyung just shook his head, waving a single hand to him to redirect his view. 

The youngest just shrugged his shoulders, placing one hand by Jimin's head, another by Yoongi's.

While Taehyung watched him do this, he realized a few things.

One. Jungkook had gotten a lot stronger than he last remembered. He must have started going to the gym at some point. That or Taehyung was significantly weaker than he had been like, I don't know, yesterday. Two. He was really ing jealous of Jimin and Yoongi. The two looked like they were smitten with each other (which he sincerely hoped that they were) and it made his heart ache. He desperately wanted to be close to someone like they were. Yeah, he knew he had a lot of friends, great, beautiful friends, but he didn't have someone that he could wake up to, someone that would tell him that everything would be alright, someone to hold him close and laugh with him at something stupid that one of them said earlier.

He didn't have someone to love him the way he did, and it hurt. It hurt to know that he was alone.

This brings us to point number three. Taehyung had never, in his entire time of knowing Min Yoongi, seen the boy as cheerful and emotional as he was right now. It was like Jimin brought him to life, that the smiles that were usually covered up were exposed and brought to light. What was once a sarcastic and quiet man turned into a bright, shining light, warm to the touch. The two looked so happy together.

Taehyung felt bad for being jealous.

All these things ran through his mind while Jungkook was being a little , and he smiled a bittersweet smile to himself.

Why would anyone like him?

He's ing weird. Everyone says it.

He squeezed his eyes shut and let out a breath. He wasn't going to do this here.

Taehyung counted to five, slowly, thoughtfully, and then gently opened his eyes. He saw Jimin staring at him, eyebrows furrowed just the slightest. 

The younger boy raised the corner of his lips. He nodded once and then shrugged, blinking away the tears that slowly built up in his eyes. He saw the hesitance in Jimin; the way he bit his bottom lip, the way his eyes shifted from Taehyung to Yoongi, the way his leg started bouncing up and down. 

"Tae-"

"Jimin, I'm fine."

Yet still, Jimin looked at him with a worried eye, forcing himself to laugh every now and then at something stupid that Jungkook said or acting like everything was fine when Yoongi gave him that look

Honestly, the fact that Jimin knew him so well pissed Taehyung off. Sometimes he just wished that they weren't friends, just so that he could pretend to be happy and no one would give a . So that he could pretend that there wasn't anything bothering him and he was just feeling a little under the weather. He wanted to be able to just keep everything in him so that he never had to face his problems.

But then again, he was more than grateful that he had met Jimin. He was so happy that Jimin had come into his life because meant so much to him.

Taehyung didn't think that he'd be able to live without Jimin, now. The kid meant too much to him, way too much. 

.

What would he do if Jimin ever picked Yoongi over him?

"-and yeah, that's how Kahee or whatever her name was gave me her number. But I had to let her down gently because my heart already belongs to someone, doesn't it, sunshine?"

Having not been paying attention, Jimin slowly turned to look at Yoongi when his pet name had been used. 

"Uhh, yeah, definitely. Good job, Yoongs."

The oldest male scrunched his eyebrows together at the odd answer his boyfriend gave him. Jungkook hadn't noticed anything, too busy now absorbed with, of course, his Pokémon Go and how there just happened to be a huge smiling Koffing above Jimin, who had been appropriately named 'sunshine'. 

"Chim, are you okay?"

Before answering, the orange haired boy turned to look at Taehyung. Yoongi's eyes followed him, and Taehyung's jaw went hard. He glared at Jimin, for caring too much, for wanting to know if he was okay, for loving him.

He glared at him because he didn't want to be the reason why they stopped smiling. He didn't want to be the reason that everyone went home with a frown on their face because he was insecure.

It was more important to Taehyung that the people around him were happy, so he didn't give a single damn how he felt. 

Before he had a chance to say anything, though, Yoongi opened his mouth.

"Jimin, Taehyung, do you guys have something you need to tell us? You know that you can say anything, right? Especially to us, and even though they aren't here right now, you know Seokjin and Namjoon are more than welcome to listen as well? You're not alone, guys. We want to help."

Jungkook's head popped up from behind the short green headed boy, his blond hair flopping to one side.

"Is something wrong with Taetae?"

Taehyung squeezed his eyes shut and clenched his fists. The last person he needed to let know of his problems was Jungkook.

"No, nothing's wrong, Kook. I'm just being weird."

Jimin took in a sharp inhale at that word, and Yoongi only just heard it. Not saying anything, the short orange haired boy went to stand up but the youngest beat him to it.

With a lopsided smile on his face, Jungkook looked at Taehyung fondly, resting his chin on his arm.

"You know what, Tae? You are weird. You are sarcastic, you are random, you are confusing and you are loud, but that's exactly what I like about you. You're not like everyone else. You're not afraid to show people who you really are, you're not afraid to let them know when you like something or when you REALLY don't like something, you're not afraid to let people see you when you're sad or see you when you're angry and you're not afraid to show people your great dance moves. You are amazing, you are unique and you are beautiful and you are so you. You, Kim Taehyung, are unlike anyone I've ever seen before, and you make my life that much better. I'm sure everyone else could say the same, don't you think? We love you, Taehyung. All five feet and 6 inches of you. Which reminds me, am I taller than you yet? I swear, I was taller than you last time I checked."

Taehyung cracked a smile and covered his face with his hands to hide his tears.He got up off of the chair he was sat on and tackled Jungkook to the ground, burying his face in the crook on Jungkook's neck so that no one saw his face. They went down with a loud whoa! from Jungkook and giggles from the older. Taehyung's voice was soft, filled with happiness but also muffled by the fabric of Jungkook's shirt.

He sniffed loudly once, letting out a chuckle.

"No, you idiot. You're not taller than me yet. I'm never going to let that happen."

A weak laugh escaped Jungkook, out of breath from the sudden collision as his hand landed, tangled in Taehyung's hair.

"Right."


"So are you guys gonna bang now or-"

"MIN YOONGI!" 


"Ughhhhhhhh oh my godddd ahhhggggh ohhhff oh my goooooooooood-"

"Taehyung, I ing SWEAR TO GOD IF YOU DON'T SHUT UP NOW I'M GOING TO STAB YOU IN THE THROAT WITH MY PENCIL."

Taehyung flopped backwards, sprawling across the back of his wooden chair, arms splayed to the sides while more moans escaped his mouth.

"Ughh, do it. End my misery. Take me away from all of my suffering. Save me from this wretched hell hole that people call school. Jimin, we're literally learning about triangles. ing triangles. We're not even learning trigonometry. We're learning about triangles! ing three-sided polygons with three ing angles. Who the hell in grade nine doesn't know what a triangle is I'm- I'm so shocked. I'm dying, Jimothy. End me."

The tall pink haired boy had stuck his face right beside Jimin's, the smaller boy's veins threatening to pop out of his neck at his annoying best friend. He used his pencil to push Taehyung's face away, shoving the boy back into his seat as best he could.

"Shut up, Taehyung. Don't joke about death that easily either. If you know so much about triangles, then why don't you fill out the goddamn sheet? Shouldn't take you that long, considering you apparently know everything there is to know about the shape."

Eyes glued to his sheet, Jimin only looked up when he heard the sound of a piece of paper being ruffled, jaw dropping when he noticed that Taehyung's arm was held high in the air, triangle worksheet finished with perfect answers within his hand. Taehyung lolled his head back, giving Jimin a crooked grin while he stared at him upside down. The months older boy just gently slapped him on the forehead, letting out a soft snort and shaking his head.

"."