Chapter 5

'Betterer' Isn't a Word

"Oh, by the way, Jungkook, I'm going to be going to the school that Taehyung and Jimin are attending starting tomorrow. I missed the first day of school, but it's not a huge deal. Anyway, that's the school that you'll be going to next year, right? I can't wait for you! I'm so proud of you for getting such good grades and managing to skip an entire grade. Looks like you're finally growing up, huh kid?"

"Oh wow Jin, that's great. Uh huh. What about a job?"

Seokjin stared at Jungkook who was absorbed by his phone. The younger wasn't paying attention to a single thing that he was saying, instead playing with the cats that visited his pretend backyard.

"Hey Kookie, what're you doing?"

"Neko Atsume. Shhh, you'll scare away Senor Don Gato."

"Senor Don what?"

"Senor Don Gato. Great kitty, 10/10. Would recommend."

Seokjin just looked at Jungkook, absolutely lost. He wasn't sure what the youngest was talking about, but it definitely wasn't anything that he understood.

"Did you hear what I just said, Jungkook?"

Jungkook nodded, dismissing the older with a swift flick of the wrist.

"Yeah, sure thing, Jin. I heard you."

Seokjin clicked his tongue, taking the phone from Jungkook's hands. He spoke clearly, voice strict and crisp.

"I am up here, Jeon Jungkook, not in your phone. If you are going to speak to me, then do so properly. Don't sit and stare at your phone when someone is trying to have a conversation with you. It is both rude and unsightly. I would not like to see you behave like this in front of me, much less others. Do you understand me?"

Jungkook solemnly looked down, allowing himself to be lectured by the older man. He nodded slightly when the man finished, not lifting his head still.

"Jungkook, I asked if you understand me."

The boy raised his head, still refusing to meet Seokjin's eyes.

"Yes, Seokjin, I understand. I'm sorry."

The older man shook his head, never meaning to make the young child feel bad. He placed Jungkook's phone on the table, sliding it back over to the boy. Then he ruffled the long brown hair, tapping his chin to make Jungkook look up afterwards.

"Hey, Jungkookie, I didn't mean to make you feel bad, you know that? Here, how about we go get some ice cream, yeah? My treat."

Jungkook's eyes immediately lit up, mouth previously stuck in a line breaking out into a beautiful smile, pearly white teeth beaming radiantly.

"Really? You'll really treat me to some ice cream?"

Seokjin's laughter rang throughout the library, the man himself nodding at the boy's automatic adorable look. They soon got up, Seokjin hooking his arm around Jungkook's neck and dragging him out of the doors. 


 "So, Jiminnie."

"Yes, Taehyungie."

The two stared at each other for a while, neither saying anything, but their eyes communicating volumes. It got to the point where both heads were leaned all the way back, glaring at the other from the bottoms of their eyes. Jimin let up first, breaking into laughter. Taehyung soon followed.

After gathering themselves, Taehyung started again, clearing his throat and clasping his hands together. He crossed his legs, placing his hands in the middle.

"Alright, Jiminnie. Today, we are on a mission to find Kookie and apologize for... Killing him? I don't remem- oh, for calling him a loser with no friends. Yes, we will find him and apologize and everything will be nice and dandy and-"

"Tae?"

"Yes, my darling little Chimchim?"

"You just said dandy."

"...."

Jimin raised an eyebrow, looking at the pink haired male who seemed to be having an existential crisis.

"I've been around Yoongi too much."

The older man groaned, throwing a pillow at Taehyung's face. He buried himself into his own pillow, muffling his ears.

"Can we please not talk about Yoongi. I'm already suffering enough without having to be reminded. I don't know why I did any of that stuff. I don't even know how I spilled the punch on him in the first place. It was probably that Hoseok kid. He's the one that made you punch me, right? Why were we hanging out with him? He looks lame. I don't think we should be friends with him, if I were to be honest, Tae. We should find cool people to be friends with, people who will boost our popularity-"

"Jimin, shut the up. We're talking about Kookie right now."

"Right, right. Continue."

Taehyung shook his head, thinking for a second before looking the brunet in the eyes.

"Alright, we're gonna head into town and find Kookie. Knowing that kid, he's either at the library or the arcade."

Jimin nodded, both of them putting on straight faces. Almost in sync, they opened their mouths, the two words falling out like a mantra.

"Let's go."


"Jin, will you buy me triple scoop strawberry ice cream?"

"...Jungkook, you know I'm not rich, right?"

"But you said you'd treat me."

"..."

"Right, Jin?"

"You brat. Just this once."

"You say that every time, and every time, you end up buying more and more ice cream for me."

"Shut up. I'm weak to your infantile adorableness."

"Thank you, I'm flattered."


Taehyung took cover behind a wall, peeking his head out. Jimin was stood directly across from, plastering his own body onto the wall as best as he could. He was wearing round, purple-rimmed sunglasses, denim jacket hanging loosely on his shoulders.

"Jiminnie! Do you see him?"

Jimin shook his head, only seeing kind of blurry silhouettes passing by.

"Well, maybe if you took off those atrocious sunglasses, then you would be able to see more than three feet in front of you!" The pink haired male stared at him very unamusedly, not believing that he was being forced to try to find someone with this idiot.

"Excuse me, Kim Taehyung, these happen to be prescription sunglasses, so I can see better with them than if I were to take them off. You're just an insolent brat who doesn't understand the efforts I went to to perfect the balance between style and usefulness. You ingrate."

"Oh my god, Jimin, literally, shut up. Just stop talking forever. You are honestly so annoying. Go get ed by Hoseok and then come back. Maybe your head will be on straight then."

"Why the hell would I want to get ed by Hoseok?! Who the do you think I am?"

"Right, right, it's Yoongi. Forgot, sorry."

Taehyung shrugged his shoulders as Jimin spluttered to himself, unable to form words. The younger stuck his head back out around the corner, scanning the crowds while the brunet collected himself. After a few more minutes in which the shorter male successfully calmed himself, Jimin watched Taehyung's head immediately whip back, eyes rounded. The pink haired man ran towards him, grabbing his shirt and leaning right into his ear. He started whisper-shouting, words fast and erratic.

"I found him! I found Jungkook! He was walking around with some older kid that I don't recognize! Do you think it's his boyfriend? If he had a boyfriend, don't you think he would have told us? We've been his friends for such a long time- wait! Maybe he hates us! That's why he ran out of your room so quickly earlier today right after bringing the chicken! Oh my god, Jiminnie, I think Kookie actually hates us and is hiding so many things from us! What do we do? Jiminnie, say something!"

Jimin simply brought one of his hands up, placing it against Taehyung's cheek and slowly pushing him away. At first, the younger man's cheek just squished against the rest of his face, making him look more stupid than he already did, but after a while, Taehyung started falling backwards, Jimin just pushing him even harder.

"Taehyung. Shut up. Let's just stalk them."

The man had let go of the other's shirt, falling onto the ground first. His mouth was open in awe and he was staring at Jimin like the boy was some sort of god.

"That is such a good idea. Why didn't you think of that earlier? Let's go do that right now."

True to his word, Taehyung grabbed the older man's wrist, dragging him into the open streets. They stayed a few meters behind Jungkook and the other man, keeping an eye out for anything suspicious.

"I don't know, Tae, they just seem like friends. The other guy isn't doing anything- OH MY GOD, HE JUST KISSED KOOKIE'S CHEEK-" Jimin started slapping Taehyung, shaking the boy a few times.

"I KNOW, JIMINNIE, KOOKIE'S BEEN HIDING THIS FROM US ALL THIS TIME!"

"LOOK, LOOK, THEY'RE GOING INTO THE ICE CREAM SHOP! WHAT DO YOU THINK THEY'RE DOING? ARE THEY ON A DATE OR SOMETHING? OH MY GOD, WE'RE STALKING JUNGKOOK ON HIS DATE, WE'RE SUCH BAD FRIENDS-"

"NO, JIMIN, THIS IS WHAT GOOD FRIENDS DO."

"Ohmigosh, Tae, you're totally right. Okay, let's hurry up."

Taehyung and Jimin snuck into the ice cream shop after them, sitting at a booth and hiding their faces with the menus. Seeing new customers, a waitress quickly approached them but was shooed away just as she arrived, Jimin and Taehyung both glaring at her.

The two boys watched Jungkook tug the other man's sleeve, pointing to something on the menu. The man simply grimaced, peering into his wallet and almost regrettably taking out a bill. Jungkook's eyes, however, were fixated on his triple scoop ice cream cone that was in the process of being, well, scooped.

After shaking his head a numerous amount of times to Jungkook's insistence on him getting a cone too, they sat down at the booth directly behind Taehyung and Jimin's.

Taehyung threw down his menu, leaning across the table and getting right in the other's face.

"It's confirmed, they're on a date. That guy even paid for Kookie, there's no other explanation. I can't believe he hid this from us, that kid-"

"I can-"

"Jimin, I told you to stop talking forever, remember? Now be a good boy and shut up."

Jimin leaned back, offended, placing a hand on his chest.

"? You wanna fight? Let's go, right here, right now."

The pink haired male stood up, slamming down his hands on the small table in between them. They were causing a scene, but not large enough that the table next to them took notice.

"Those be fighting words, Park Jimin. You best be treading lightly, else you gon get beat, son."

Jimin just snorted, unimpressed. He crossed his arms, itching his nose and staring the younger down.

"Taehyung, we all know who here has the black belt, so why don't you sit your perky little down and we'll settle this like real gentlemen?"

" that."

Taehyung lunged at him, jumping onto the table with a loud battle cry that rang throughout the entire shop. He loosely grabbed onto the older man's throat, shaking him back and forth.

"Die, Park Jimin! Die!"

Jimin, not really choking or dying in any sense since Taehyung wasn't actually choking him, punched the kid in the face, swiftly knocking him back onto his seat, unconscious.

At that time, Jungkook poked his head over the top of the seat to see what was going on, catching sight of a what seemed to be a dead Taehyung and pissed off Jimin.

"Oh, hi Jiminnie! What are you and Taetae doing here?"

Jimin's eyes widened and he quickly ran out of the shop. Jungkook stared, very confused, before he watched the brunet run back in a few seconds later, pick up Taehyung's limp body and sprint back out of the petite parlour.

"I'M SORRY, JEON JUNGKOOK!"

Jungkook blinked a few times, not too sure what just happened. He came down from kneeling on top of the seat, looking at an equally confused Seokjin. Neither said anything for a while, both just opening and closing their mouths, trying to get at least one word out.

Seokjin was the first to break the silence, cocking his head to the left as he asked the question.

"What the hell are your friends, Jungkookie?"

"...I don't even know. I have no idea what just happened."

Jungkook and Seokjin sat there for a little more, the younger's ice cream melting in the end. They then left the shop, Seokjin dropping Jungkook off at his house before returning to his own.

If they had left just a few minutes earlier, they would have seen a very panicked man, almost out of breath with another fully grown male on his back, running for what seemed like the last time in his life.

Citizens out walking that day can confirm that they heard some odd screams, sounding somewhat akin to "goddamnit, Kim Taehyung! Wake up!"


a/n: HAVE YOU GUYS WATCHED THE TEASER FOR FIRE

IM SO EXCITED AND PUMPED WOO WOO LETS DO THIS

ITS GOING TO BE SO LIT ON MAY 2ND