Chapter 14

'Betterer' Isn't a Word

a/n: important note at the end!


Jimin heard the door shut behind him and someone begin to approach him. He really didn't feel like being touched right now, so he just walked over to the other side of the bathroom, hoping the person would get the hint.

Unfortunately, they continued to advance upon him, still not speaking a word.

"Yoongi, please, I don't want to talk right no-"

"Jiminnie, I'm not exactly Yoongi. I had hoped you could tell by how much taller I am than him."

Jungkook made a wry attempt at a joke, lifting the corner of his mouth lamely. Jimin had turned to look at him, appreciative of the attempt Jungkook made. He let his features fall, smile nowhere in sight.

He didn't cry, though.

No, this wasn't worthy of his tears.

Jungkook walked closer to him, opening his arms for the older boy. Jimin just in a shaky breath as he all but ran into the boy's warm arms. The young blond boy started rubbing his back, drawing circles with his hand. He felt Jimin shudder in his grasp and he just squeezed the older boy tighter. He let out an airy chuckle, leaning down towards Jimin's ear.

"Hey, you know, Jimin, it's times like these where being taller than you is useful."

That had the older boy laughing, and he pulled away from Jungkook just enough to hit him against the chest.

"Rude! You're being mean to me in the moments where I need you the most, Jungkookie! At least pretend that you care!"

Jimin had meant for it to be a joke, but as the words came out of his mouth, the smile on his face felt more and more forced, and Jungkook just watched as the happiness left his eyes.

He brought the small brunet back into a hug and they just rocked back and forth for a few minutes, when the door to the bathroom opened again.

"Jimin? Jungkook? Oh, there you guys are."

Jungkook kept Jimin's face buried against his chest as he peeked his head up only to see Taehyung walking towards them with a concerned expression on his face. He was fiddling with his fingers and ran his hand through his hair countless times.

"Hey, Tae. What're you doing here?"

The boy shrugged, nodding towards the door while opening his mouth to speak.

"The mood out there kinda, you know, dropped, and Namjoon and Seokjin left. Hoseok went to make a phone call or something, and I think I saw Yoongi get up when I came to find you guys. You were taking a really long time, so I thought that maybe something happened."

He stopped when he noticed that Jimin wasn't looking at him, and Taehyung pouted, walking towards the two. He more or less lightly pushed Jungkook out of the way, wrapping his own long arms around the small fragile boy.

"Aww, Jiminnie, my sweet, little Jimble Jambles, my precious Chimchim, my bestest friend, he doesn't deserve you. You're too good for Yoongi. So what if he dates someone else? You just date thirty more people and make him jealous enough that he'll regret ever letting go of you in the first- mmph-"

"Tae, I don't think you're helping."

Jungkook muffled the boy's words with his hand, rendering Taehyung's speech to nothing more than mumbles and gargles. He pulled the pink haired boy away, trying his best to ignore the fact that, yes, Taehyung was his hand much more excessively than need be. He put the flailing boy in one of the stalls and locked it, leaning against the stall door to make sure that Taehyung wouldn't be able to get out. Then, he looked at Jimin apologetically, wiping his slobber-covered hand against his new jeans (there goes another fifty bucks. Thanks, Taehyung).

"Jimin, I'm sure if you give it some time, one of two things will happen: either Yoongi will realize how much of a ing idiot he is, or you'll get over him with the help of your lovely friend, me."

"HEY, I'M HIS FRIEND TOO!"

Jungkook rolled his eyes and waved his hand dismissively, letting Taehyung yell from within the small enclosed space he had been trapped inside as he repeatedly tried to push the door open.

"Yes, yes, he has many friends. That wasn't the point, Tae. What is the point, is that I'd be more than happy to have you come over to my house at ungodly hours, like, I don't know, four in the morning, just to mooch off of my ice cream and pizza bagels while you cry yourself to sleep on my lap. I'd be more than happy to listen to you go on and on about how stupid Yoongi is, but how wonderfully smart he is at the same time because he wants to pursue a music career but he knows that it isn't a reliable choice, so he's also taking a ton of business courses. I'd be more than happy to go with you to the gym because you don't actually want to work out, and you just want to stare at all the hot guys with their muscle shirts, or no shirts, sometimes, lift all those weights. I'd never let you go through this by yourself, Jimin, so let's go through this together, okay? Just you and me."

"HEY! AND ME! JUNGKOOKIE, YOU KEEP FORGETTING ABOUT ME!"

The youngest in the room pursed his lips as he turned around and threw the door open in one swift motion, Taehyung falling to the ground from the sudden loss of a door against his face.

"I didn't 'forget' about you, Taehyung. I was purposely leaving you out of this. I don't need two of you stealing all of my food. Jimin already goes through whole pizzas like they're tic-tacs, I'm not even gonna get started on you."

Taehyung looked at him, taking major offense to that blow. He delicately pressed his hand against his chest (as best he could, at least, with still being on the floor and all) and opened and closed his mouth a few times before speaking.

"I will have you know that I am a growing boy! I need that food to grow! You don't need any of it! You can just stay the height you are, stupid Jungkook!"

"Oh, now we're bringing out the insults, huh? I'm stupid? Well, you're just stupider! Ha, take that, Taehyung. And you're still not invited to come eat pizza bagels with me and Jimin. It's still just the two of us. Loser."

Jungkook stuck his tongue out at the pink haired man, making noises to emphasize his point.

Taehyung continued arguing with him, and Jungkook gladly bickered back. The two boys only turned when they heard bright laughter come from inside the bathroom, and they were met with the sight of Jimin on his knees, tears springing to his eyes, and he himself wasn't sure if it was because he was laughing too hard or if Jungkook was just being so nice.

"Thank you guys so much. I love you guys, you know that? You're my best friends. I'd never trade you for anything. And I'll take you up on those pizza bagels and ice cream, Jungkookie, but only if I can bring Taehyung."

The blond groaned, weakly bringing Jimin into a hug.

"Fine, I guess he can come too."

Taehyung cheered, and when he went forward to bring them into a hug, he missed the cheeky smile that had planted itself onto Jungkook's face.


Yoongi was standing outside of a restaurant that his mother had told him to go to in nothing more than a loose hoodie and some skinny jeans. From the looks of the outside, the restaurant was a rather fancy one, but he couldn't have given less of a . He wanted to just get this goddamn date done and over with so that he could go find Jimin and apologize for making him worry, tell him that he didn't want the date anyone else but him, and maybe kiss him for a little while.

But he also knew that he would never be able to do any of that because he also had no idea if Jimin even liked him.

Hell, he wouldn't be surprised if Jimin kind of hated him. After all, he did lead the kid on (kind of), and to just drop the sudden bomb that he was going on a date with someone, a girl, moreover, must have been huge news.

Here he was anyway, though, standing outside of this restaurant that just seemed to get even fancier the more he looked at it, waiting for some girl that he wasn't even going to give a chance to.

Honestly, he had no idea why his mom even set him up with her. They had already cleared the fact that he was gay, a flaming homoual, a backdoor bandit, an assassin- okay he's going to cut himself off right there.

The point is, his mother knew that he batted for the other team and she still set him up with a girl. Well, it was true that he didn't actually really care about gender, so maybe he more correctly identified as panual, but he also might be considered biual considering he preferred males, yeah. He's going to stick with biual with a preference for males.

Maybe his mom already saw through him.

Maybe that's why she set him up with a girl.

He nodded to himself. Yeah, his mom knew him better than anyone out there. She knew him better than he knew himself. He was so busy nodding and thinking to himself that he didn't notice a small girl slowly approaching him.

"Umm, hello?"

She waved her hand at him and put a small smile on her face. She wasn't sure if this was the man she was supposed to be on a date with since he wasn't wearing the nicest clothing, but his face was pretty nice so she let it go.

Yoongi was still nodding along to random things he was thinking, still not noticing the scantily dressed female in front of him. She huffed, crossing her arms in front of her chest and looked at him.

"Hey, are you Min Yoongi?"

The green haired male was startled, looking up to see someone standing in front of him with her eyebrows furrowed and lips downturned into a frown. He nodded one more time, blinking a few times.

"Yeah, uhh, yeah, I am. Let's go in."

Yoongi walked past her, barely acknowledging her presence. She scoffed, throwing her arms out to the side of her.

"Hey! Aren't you even going to ask my name? To, I don't know, get to know me, maybe?"

The mint green haired man didn't even look back, instead just shrugging his shoulders and continuing to trudge forward. Then, he stopped, turning to look over his shoulder as he spoke.

"Well, I don't really care, and if you think I'm going to spend this entire 'date' catering to you, then you should probably get you head out of your . I looked at you, and yeah, I guess you're pretty, but that doesn't mean to me. I'd like to just get this over with so that I can go apologize to someone that I probably don't deserve to ever talk to again. But I'm still going to try, so if you'd like to come with me we can get this thing started, or you can leave right now. Doesn't really make a difference to me. It's not like I'm going to call you to go out again either way."

dropped and she stuttered in her steps before her pride got the best of her and she stormed past him into the restaurant. The two of them sat down and Yoongi picked up the menu, scanning over to find the cheapest thing.

He's sixteen.

Not a millionaire.

The girl (you know, he still never did ask her name. Now I guess we'll just never know what it is) already had what she wanted in her mind. She had come to this restaurant a few times, and some of the employees knew her. After the delightful conversation she and Yoongi had just outside, she was now appalled by the idea of sitting with him when he was dressed so poorly. So shabbily. Like, like, some filthy commoner

She shuddered just at the thought of it and gave him a once over while he looked at the menu. He did have a decent face, but those clothes...

Ugh, she just could not stand them.

Rolling her eyes, she saw one of the waiters walk past and she quickly waved him over. The waiter's hair was curly and reached just about his neck and his uniform fit snugly on his body, accentuating the boy's muscles. 

She her lips and smirked, glancing one last time at Yoongi.

If he didn't want her, she could always have someone else.

The waiter stopped right by their table and a bright smile lit up his face, and Yoongi almost wanted a pair of sunglasses to block out the light. This guy was way too happy for a waiter. In fact, he was way too happy to be a normal person.

"Hello there and good afternoon, my name is Chanyeol and I'll be your waiter for today. Are there any drinks that I could get you started with? Or are you ready to order now?"

"Uhh, yeah, could I just get the pumpkin soup? It comes with crackers, right? I like crackers."

Chanyeol nodded enthusiastically, etching it carefully onto his small notepad. He looked over to the other sitting at the table, and she sighed as she delicately laid a hand on his arm.

"Well, I would like some of you, big boy, but I think I'll take the Wagyu beef steak, medium rare."

The tall, lanky server gulped as he nodded his head shakily, subtly removing the offensive hand from his appendage. He stared at Yoongi with wide eyes and the younger boy just looked at him apologetically, shrugging his shoulders. He tried to let Chanyeol know that he didn't want to be there either, but he wasn't sure if the guy understood.

Soon, the boy disappeared and the two of them were left to their own devices once more.

Neither struck up any conversation.

What was there to talk about? How Yoongi didn't want to be there? How he felt bad that Chanyeol was being hit on? How he still didn't know her name?

Chanyeol soon came back to the table with a water pitcher is his hands, a faint red mark vaguely resembling a handprint visible on his cheeks.

"Whoa, dude, did someone hit you? Are you okay?"

Surprised, Chanyeol almost dropped the entire pitcher onto the small woman's lap, and she in a large breath as he barely managed to catch himself. He looked at Yoongi, confused as to why he was asked that question, but one hand quickly flew up to his cheek.

"Oh, yeah, I'm fine. Don't worry about it. My boyfriend Baekhyun just... got a bit jealous a while ago. He's not very good at dealing with other people being all touchy-feely with me."

The mint green haired man tried his hardest not to let a smile take over his face as his date's cheeks went bright red from embarrassment. She excused herself to the facilities, and Yoongi leaned an elbow on the table while he leisurely spoke to their waiter.

"Listen, I'm sort of being forced to be here, and as you might be able to tell, I'm not really enjoying myself. I have a few more important issues to deal with, and she's really dragging things out for me."

The curly haired server tilted his head, curiosity evident on his features.

"What more important issues do you have to deal with? And how are you being forced to be here? Although, I can partially tell by the way she was acting earlier. Was she hitting on me? Baek said she was hitting on me. I'm not used to that. Baek's been my only boyfriend since we were in middle school and so I never really got out there for people to start hitting on me not that I want them to hit on me or anything no Baekkie is the best boyfriend I could ever ask for and I love him a lot oh  I just told you that I love Baekhyun and I haven't even told Baekhyun that I love him why did I do that but yeah I don't understand how people like me like do you see my giant ears and my smile is so weird and my family tells me that it's creepy a lot and I can't believe that I have such a wonderful little boyfriend like Baekkie he's so wonderful to me and he loves my smile and he's such a sweet little dumpling and-"

A short boy came up behind Chanyeol and pressed a kiss against his cheek, nuzzling his nose in the taller's shoulder.

"You idiot. Stop venting to some stranger that you barely know."

Chanyeol nodded obediently, face slowly turning pinker as the seconds ticked by. The boy who Yoongi assumed to be Baekhyun turned to face him, a small box smile on his face.

"Hi, I'm Baekhyun, this idiot's boyfriend. I was, sort of watching you guys, and I saw him start ranting. Sorry about that. You're sorry, right, Yoda?"

The tall boy nodded again, waddling closer to Baekhyun and looping his arms around the boy's thin waist. He cocked his head to the side again before resting his chin on Baekhyun's head.

"What pressing matters did you have, did you say?"

Yoongi's nose scrunched up in distaste as he remembered who it was he exactly needed to apologize to.

"Well, so basically, there's this one kid I like. His name's Jimin-"

"Wait, Park Jimin? Like, Sehun's short little friend?"

Yoongi looked surprised, staring up at the short brunet male.

"You know Jimin?"

Baekhyun and Chanyeol nodded in unison, the former lightly tapping his chin as he thought.

"We all go to the same school together, and sometimes Sehun just won't shut up about the kid and how good of a dancer he is. Makes Lulu jealous a lot, but Luhan would never tell him. He just brings him out for bubble tea a lot because of it. Not like Sehun complains. Actually, I think Sehun knows what talking about Jimin does. Maybe he does it to Luhan on purpose. Poor Lulu. Wait, does that mean you go to the same school as us? How have I never seen you before?"

Yoongi shrugged and continued his story, making a mental note to look them up later.

"I don't really stand out much. Anyway, so Jimin's a real idiot. No, well, actually, I'm the idiot. I may or may not have lead him on a bit, and then I dropped the fact that I was going on this date because she's the daughter of one of my mom's coworkers and they set us up and I'd really rather not be here right now because I just want to go apologize to Jimin and maybe confess and then maybe we can cuddle but he also might just push me away and ignore me for the rest of his life or maybe I just won't confess and we can stick to being friends yeah I think that last idea is pretty good. Yeah. I'll just apologize."

Baekhyun nodded slowly, backing away with Chanyeol slowly.

"Okay then. Well. I'm going to go get your food. You uh, you have good luck. Maybe break it to the girl that you're gonna leave after we bring the food. Then she can eat her feelings. Just a suggestion. And next time, maybe dress more appropriately for the restau- actually, you didn't want to be here in the first place. Whatever man, you do you."

And then they left. 

She came back from the restroom a few minutes later, and almost at the same time that she sat down, Chanyeol brought over their plates and gave Yoongi one final wink before he retreated back to the kitchen with Baekhyun.

Almost immediately, Yoongi went for the crackers. He placed one of the saltines in his mouth and smiled happily, chewing delightfully on his food as he stirred the thick soup. After swallowing the cracker, he tried some of the soup and it was amazing.

Best soup he'd ever had.

Fourteen dollars well spent.

When he finished, he found that his date (okay honestly what is her name Min Yoongi come on think your mother had to have told you at one point) hadn't even started eating yet, instead opting to text on her phone instead. He threw his napkin onto the table and cleared his throat, getting her to look up at him.

"Look, I'm leaving, alright? I can't exactly say that the night was enjoyable, and I know that you could probably say the same. As I said earlier, I have no intentions of calling you up to go out again, so this will probably be the last time I see you. Unless my goddamn mother sets me up with you again. But yeah, I'm heading out now. See you never."

He threw a twenty on the table and made a small gesture with his hand, strolling out of the restaurant with as much pride as his jean-clad would let him. She stared at him in shock.

She's never had someone just, walk out on her before.

She turned around and stared at her expensive steak in sadness when the door to the restaurant slammed open again.

"HAEKYUNG. THAT'S YOUR NAME. I REMEMBERED. OKAY, NOW I REALLY DO HAVE TO GO. BYE."

Haekyung felt almost every customer in the restaurant stare at her, and she felt her face go red again as she bolted to the bathroom. She passed by two wheezing boys on the way there, one wiping the tears out of his eyes and the other curled into a ball on the floor, long limbs knocking into anything in the vicinity.

That may have been the most successful date that Min Yoongi has ever been on.

(Clearly he doesn't go on very many.)


a/n: sorry for the sudden baekyeol but as you can see with my username

tbvh i'd gladly take a conversation with yoongi where he only insults me 

at least i can say that he talked to me

speaking of insults, that one comment that i had received, while it did make me upset, made me all the more appreciate all the readers who have been there for me, be it from the beginning or even if you're just starting to get into this story. all of you guys gave me so much encouragement, and you're the best readers that i could ever ask for. i never expected this many of you to be here with me now, and i am truly, deeply thankful.

shoutout to all the people who left a note for me too! Yoonmin_Namjin_Trash (love your username), dnotelover (you're always here for me! love you!), VIPPANDA, luuranko, DumaTrz, Aimz19, Mabiaki (such a sweetheart! thank you for loving this top!kook fic even though you're top!tae trash), Ajby02, Infiring_Trash, and tjessica64! 

on my separate blog post about this, thank you to MissMinew, MinnieCrafts (you may say you hate me, but i know you actually love me), Firevein (you're so sweeeeetttttt with your sweet words ^^), dnotelover (again you are wonderful) mizusora (we just became friends but you're already one of my best ones!), Jimbooty (again, perfect username) and Hayaley!

and to all of you silent readers?

i see you

stop being strangers and get to know me and yes that is sort of a threat