Chapter 30

'Betterer' Isn't a Word

Jungkook ran down the stairs as soon as he heard the knock on his door, swinging it open to reveal Taehyung standing there with a bright smile on his face, a stain of something smudged against his cheek.

"Jungkookie!"

Jungkook just sighed and smiled as he let Taehyung in, pushing the boy over to the kitchen while simultaneously wiping his face clean.

"Yes, yes, hello, Taehyung. Come on, now. Let's get some food in you before we go to school. We better hurry, okay? We don't have a ton of time left."

Taehyung beamed and patted Jungkook's cheek as he let the younger boy push him over to the kitchen table. An assortment of breakfast foods was laid out on the table, and Taehyung's mouth watered at the sight of them.

"Look at my Jungkookie! You turned 13 a few days ago and you're already so independent!"

Jungkook snorted, stabbing a sausage with his fork.

"My mom cooked all of this, Tae. You should know that by now."

Taehyung hummed appreciatively, sliding closer to where Jungkook was sitting. He kissed Jungkook on the cheek, biting into a slice of bread right after. He let a cheeky smile spread across his features, tapping Jungkook's forehead lightly.

"Come on, Kookie! Stop staring at me with your jaw wide open. Didn't you say we needed to hurry?"

Taehyung smirked as Jungkook blinked back into consciousness, his face a flushed red and his lips screwed together to try and stop himself from smiling too widely as he scooped some of his scrambled eggs into his mouth.

They didn't speak again for the rest of their breakfast, but Jungkook was smiling throughout as their knees touched under the table.


Taehyung and Jungkook walked into the school, the whole while Taehyung talking Jungkook's ear off and pointing in so many directions at such a speed that Jungkook was having trouble keeping up with him.

"The office is right over there, those are the bathrooms, but they're not the good ones. The good ones are the ones upstairs and next to the library, but for some reason, they're always closed off like someone's constantly cleaning them."

Taehyung suddenly leant in close, whispering against Jungkook's ear.

"If you ask me, though, I'd say that it's one of those kids over there that keeps stealing the cleaning sign so that he has the entire bathroom to himself. There's no way that the custodians are cleaning those bathrooms so often."

Taehyung stood up and shook his head, looking at a group of boys with shame clear in his eyes before he dragged Jungkook around the corner, Jungkook himself with a look of complete confusion painted on his face.

"Over here, we have the gym! There's another one down in the basement, but it's a lot smaller than this one so no one really likes going there unless we have to. Sometimes, they have volleyball matches down there, but most of the time, everyone uses this one. Look at it, it's so big! I'm sure you'll be using it a lot, right, Jungkookie? Don't you want to build up those muscles? We have a fitness area in there too."

Jungkook simply nodded, pretending like he knew what was going on.

"Uh, yeah! Definitely! Will be visiting very often."

He got a glare shot in his direction as Taehyung tightened his grip on his hand.

"Not too often, though. You still need to come hang out with me. And Jimin and Seokjin and Yoongi and Hoseok and Namjoon and all. But mainly me."

Taehyung proceeded to hook their arms together with an audible huff, Jungkook raising an eyebrow in his direction. The corners of his lips pulled up as he planted his feet into the ground, stopping them from moving forward anymore as he tried to look into Taehyung's eyes.

"Taehyung? Are you being possessive right now? This is a side of you I've never seen before. Wow. If this is how things are going to be, I could get used to it. I kinda like having you acting jealous about me."

"I am not- okay. Wait. I totally am. Listen, it's only because I know that you're going to end up super popular and with people crawling all over you because- well, I mean look at you! You're wonderful and I cannot believe that you're actually dating me and-"

Jungkook planted a light kiss on Taehyung's nose, and Taehyung stopped talking and touched it in surprise.

"Tae, no matter what, I wouldn't just drop you, okay? But it is cute to see you so flustered over me."

Jungkook winked and Taehyung scrunched his nose together before he tucked his face into Jungkook's shirt, somehow still managing to pull him around to finish his tour of the school while mumbling about something that Jungkook couldn't quite hear.

Jungkook swore his cheeks were red.

After a minute or two of straight mumbling, they reached the cafeteria where Taehyung seemed to find his confidence (or pride) again.

"Oh! The cafeteria! Nice! So, we have a great cafeteria system, actually! Each student can either purchase their own meal with a meal plan here or we can bring our own lunches so the school doesn't waste money providing us with food. That sounds kind of terrible, but you know what I mean. The seating here's real nice too, and if you get here early on the first day, you can claim a really nice table, and if you're extra popular like Jinnie is, then that table will be your table basically forever. Sometimes, people will be little es and try to take it from you, but that's typically only for a day because they learn not to mess with you."

Jungkook's eyes widened as Taehyung kept talking, winking once he finished his mildly threatening speech. Then, they walked toward one of the staircases, slowly going up them as Taehyung continued to drone on about their school. Jungkook was actually amazed that they had been able to talk about so much already within the short amount of time before the bell.

Taehyung opened his mouth again, and sure enough, more words just spewed from it.

"We have this great teacher, her name's Ms Shim. She's a grade 11 homeroom teacher but also the music teacher! She's super nice and really sweet and she always treats us so well and- hey, do you have her for music? What classes do you have, Jungkookie?"

Jungkook looked at Taehyung blankly for a few seconds before he simply shrugged his shoulders.

"You know, I really wish I could tell you, but I was supposed to pick up my schedule as soon as we got in but you just took me away, so I have no idea. If I could, I would have told you sooner, but I couldn't, so."

Taehyung blinked and cocked his head to the side.

"Well, why didn't you say so sooner? Come on, let's go get it."

And so Taehyung grabbed his hand and dragged Jungkook through the halls, pulling him along towards the office. He let laughter spill from his lips and sing through the air, his footsteps light and his hold on Jungkook's hand firm.

Jungkook smiled and let a small smile grow across his face.

"Here we go again." 


a/n: heyo sorry that this chapter is shorter than the rest (esp bc its the last chapter) but there really wasnt much else to add to the story! this was sort of just a final wrap up of things, now that taekook are finally together and they're all in high school now!!!

thank you all so much for sticking with me throughout this! i appreciate all the kind words and support you shared with me, and i look forward to seeing all of you again. 

please look forward to more specials! (plEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT SPECIALS YOU WANT TO SEE)

and with this, 'Betterer' Isn't a Word has come to an end! thank you all once again, and i love you all!!! <3333333