Tiers of Tears

'Betterer' Isn't a Word

Taehyung was lying on his bed, staring at his ceiling and sighing. 

He was in a predicament.

A very, very large predicament.

However, this was quite a different predicament in comparison to Jungkook's earlier predicament. In fact, so contrasting that Jungkook perhaps could have never even imagined the severity of such a predicament.

Indeed, Taehyung was very much in love with his best friend. That much was a given. They had been together for 10, edging in on 11 years now. Taehyung thought that it was amazing, really, that someone had managed to keep up with him for this long, never mind be his boyfriend for so long.

And now Taehyung was in a predicament because he was already planning a wedding that he didn't know when would take place because Jungkook was a petty who wouldn't propose to him.

He blew up at the tuft of hair that sat on top of his head.

"Why? Why is this a thing that I'm actually suffering through right now? Who the hell ever knows that they'll be proposed to, but the only reason they aren't being proposed to anymore is because their significant other is petty? Like, literally, the only reason he won't do it is because he's petty. A petty . That is my boyfriend. Jungkook is a ing petty little son of a who needs to get his together because I am literally pulling this relationship across the ground. The wedding is already ready to go, but guess what? We might never have it because he is petty! Petty! So petulant!"

Jimin heard him as he continued to rant on, and he gladly slipped into the room to give his rather unwanted advice.

"Tae, have you ever maybe thought that you're also being really petty?"

Taehyung shot up, his hands coming down on either side of him.

"What the  are you talking about? I am not being petty! I just want Jungkook to propose to me! That's all I want. ing, he has the ring! I saw it! I almost touched it, Jimin! I am this close, ing millimeters away from being engaged, but I'm not because Jungkook is petty and I have bad timing."

Jimin pressed his lips into a thin line, sitting down on the bed carefully.

"You know, Taehyung, knowing Jungkook and how he is, he probably did have something huge planned out. You know he just wants the best for you, right? So he was probably waiting for just the right moment to do it, and you're right. You have the worst timing ever, so you ruined all his plans. Now, he may be saying that he's just waiting for when you least expect it, but he's probably just waiting until he knows the time's right. He's waiting for the day when everything just falls into place. Then, that is when it'll happen. Don't stress out about it too much. He's doing it all for you, and you shouldn't blame him for that."

Taehyung pouted.

"Okay, absolutely everything you just said makes so much sense, but it's just- Jimin! I was so close! Can you just let me whine about this for a few more hours and then I'll be totally over it? Share in my pain, friend, that is what frienderinos do!"

Jimin simply raised an eyebrow and squished beside Taehyung, hooking an arm around Taehyung's shoulders.

"I'm a frienderino now, now am I? I like how I was downgraded from your best friend to your pretty-good-but-not-better-than-Jungkook friend, and now to a frienderino? I am hurt, Taehyung. Your words pain me."

Taehyung simply pursed his lips and looked at Jimin with mock sympathy.

"Aw, I'm sorry, Chim, was Yoongi's love not enough for you? Are you missing him while he's at another school even though he makes it his mission to drive here every weekend just to see you? Even though he's here most weekdays too because you guys just miss each other so much? Are you missing the loving, Park Jimin? Am I just your love supplier now?"

Jimin nodded.

"Yes. Yes to all of the above. Listen, if I'm helping you plan this wedding, then yes you're my love supplier. Listen, I've already designed your cake for you, you know? There are only three tiers because , Taehyung, a 27 tier cake isn't plausible, and a three tier cake looks good anyway."

Taehyung just scrunched his nose and pushed Jimin away with discontent.

"You're not plausible."

"That's a terrible comeback."

"You're a terrible comeback."

Jimin sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"How? How is it that you are like this, and yet, you're going to be getting married before me? You- you have literally the mentality of a twelve-year-old. I honestly don't understand how this is happening. How did Jungkook even- whatever. You know what? Get married before me. I'll just be your best man and make Yoongi want to marry me on the spot with my tux. It'll accentuate my so well, you have no ing clue-"

"Jimin, one, we don't know if I'm ever getting married anymore because, again, Jungkook is a petty , and two, don't you dare somehow magically have Yoongi propose to you at my wedding and then steal our thunder. I do not need that from you after grad."

Jimin opened his mouth and stuck up a finger to say something, but he closed it immediately as he realized that he did not have any comeback.

"Look, that was a one-time thing, okay? It's not like I meant to cut you off in the middle of your valedictorian speech. It's so not my fault that some kid spiked the punch bowl and I basically drank the whole thing, alright?"

"Jimin, you spiked the punch bowl-"

"Taehyung, I really don't think that we need to focus on the details right now. The important thing is that I won't do something like that again. Yoongi will make sure of that. You saw how quickly he came to drag me off the stage, right? I only got around to screaming one thing, I didn't completely ruin it. And they let you keep going like nothing happened. All was fine, in the end."

Taehyung pursed his lips again, glaring at Jimin a little before sighing.

"You know what? It's whatever. I just- ugh. I don't even know anymore. Just don't drink at my wedding."

"That is so not fair! How am I supposed to not drink when one of my best friends is getting married? That's like asking me to go to a club and not dance. It's okay, Taehyung, I will not ruin everything for you, I promise."

Taehyung rolled his eyes.

"Okay, Jimin, sure."


Jungkook was cooking in his apartment (or as close to cooking as you could get him to do), singing at the top of his lungs.

"It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling~"

"Are you singing Michael Bublé?"

Jungkook stopped singing for a minute, stirring his ramen in his tiny pot with a resigned look on his face as he reached over and grabbed another pack of ramen from the cupboard above him.

"Tae, it's a ing great song. I love Michael Bublé so much, you have no idea."

Taehyung raised an eyebrow as he stalked over to where Jungkook was standing in front of the stove, and he placed his chin on Jungkook's shoulder as he watched the younger pour the noodles into the broth.

"Hmm, I think I have some sort of idea considering I bought you a Michael Bublé CD. I have to admit, he is quite good. Gotta say, though, I like Haven't Met You Yet better."

"! That is such a good song."

Taehyung just laughed at Jungkook's reaction, and the younger immediately broke into song, Taehyung not hesitating to join him. He continued to hum as he lifted the pot into the other room so that they could eat, and Taehyung followed behind with bowls and chopsticks.

"Yay! Thank you, Kookie!"

Jungkook just nodded and waved his chopsticks in Taehyung's direction.

"Yeah, yeah, you're welcome, Tae. Just eat, okay? And then you can tell me about class. I can tell that Jimin did something stupid."

Taehyung rolled his eyes and groaned around a mouthful of noodles.

"Oh my god, holy, you have no idea!"

Jungkook grinned as Taehyung started telling his story anyway, despite having been told to wait until later. He let his hand rest against his cheek, watching Taehyung with endearment clear on his face.

"God, I love you so much."

Taehyung stopped.

"Did you say something?"

"No, nothing. Keep going, what'd Jimin do next?"


Taehyung and Jungkook sat on the younger's couch. The TV wasn't on, there was no music playing in the background, they were just sitting and Taehyung was lying on top of Jungkook, and Jungkook's hands were in Taehyung's hair as they always were.

"This happens way too often."

"What does?"

Jungkook looked down at Taehyung, the older's eyes wide and staring up at him longingly.

"Nothing, just- us. We're just, I don't even know how to describe it. It's wonderful."

Taehyung smiled.

"Well, I mean, we are perfect in every way imaginable, so I can see why you're having trouble putting that perfection into words."

Jungkook threw his head back, a laugh bubbling out from his mouth.

"You're right, Taehyung. You're absolutely right. We are perfect in every way imaginable. But hey, Tae, can I just say a few things? Just a few of the things that I think makes us so perfect?"

Taehyung furrowed his eyebrows and looked at Jungkook weirdly.

"What the hell was that sentence? But go ahead, I guess? Tell me of my utter perfection."

Jungkook grinned and pressed a kiss to Taehyung's forehead.

"First off, you're perfect. From the way you smile to the way you laugh. The way that you sing in the mornings and dance in the nights. The way that you just know what to say and you always know what to do. The way that you come over at three in the morning because you get way too drunk and you just want me to give you a hug because you miss me-"

"That was one time!"

"Still happened! You cannot deny that it happened once. Every last bit of you is perfect and I love all of you, Taehyung. You know, if I could, I would kiss every single beauty mark on your skin because I know you don't love them. I would sing to you every day because I know you love my voice. I would tell you a joke every night when we've stayed up too late and our minds have gone. I would stay with you forever, through the thick and thin of it, and through all the good times and bad because I love you."

Taehyung had curled in on himself, his forehead to his knees and tucked away into Jungkook's body. His voice was tiny and weak, but it still rang through the room and carried its way to Jungkook.

"Stop it, Jungkook. You're gonna make me cry..."

Jungkook pressed a long kiss to the crown of Taehyung's head.

"Sorry, babe. You just mean so much to me. You're what holds me together, Taehyung, and I would never give you up. I know that we get into little fights sometimes. I know that you don't like living apart from me. I know that you don't like waking up without me."

He stopped talking to lift Taehyung's chin up, looking into Taehyung's eyes.

"I know how much I mean to you, and, god, if you knew how much you meant to me, and I would never let you go, Taehyung. This probably isn't the way you imagined it, much less the way you would have wanted it, but I couldn't think of any other way to ask you. Kim Taehyung, you mean the world to me and more. You are the only one who can make me smile when I feel my worst, and you're the only one who I know will stand by me throughout this life we've built for ourselves. You are my one, and you are my only, and I would never have it any other way. You're the only one who'd be okay with me using this many clichés in my proposal, so Taehyung, will you marry me?"

Taehyung laughed and let the tears fall freely down his cheeks, his lips parting to let out a smile, his eyes squinting to shape into crescents. He nodded, once, twice, then so many times he lost count, and he pressed his lips to Jungkook's.

"Yes, yes, a million times yes. God, I love you so much, Jungkook. I don't even care that you proposed like that-"

"See? See? I was right!"

Taehyung smiled again, turning so that he was facing Jungkook head on. 

"Yeah, you were. I'd marry you however, whenever you asked, and I would never change a thing about us. This definitely wasn't how I imagined this happening, no, but it's just perfect as it is, and would be no matter what you did because it's you, Jungkook. If I could, I would go back and do everything all over again. And you're right. You were cheesy as hell. But that's exactly what makes you so great. And other stuff too, obviously. I love you so much, Jungkook." 


"Hel-"

" YOU, JIMIN!"

"Wha- what? Taehyung? Is that you?"

"TWO HUGE MIDDLE FINGERS TO YOU, PARK, BECAUSE THIS JUST GOT ENGAGED!"

"...Tae-"

"But will you help me look my best, frienderino?"

Taehyung heard a puff of laughter from the other end of the line.

"Yeah, Tae. Of course I will."


Seokjin looked in the rearview mirror at Jungkook who was fumbling with the bowtie around his neck. He did it and undid it over and over again, his teeth worrying his bottom lip and his foot tapping against the ground anxiously. He reached his hands up to run them through his hair, but thought better of it and forced himself to keep them by his side.

Seokjin raised an eyebrow.

"Nervous, Kook?"

Jungkook's head shot up and he made eye contact with Jin as they stopped at a red light, and he felt a lump get caught in his throat.

"Yeah, I'm actually ing terrified right now. Like, holy , I'm about to get married to Taehyung- like- holy . I'm not thinking about not going or anything, hell no, there is no way in hell that you could convince me to do anything but marry that kid right now, but I just- wow- I'm marrying Taehyung. We're going to walk down the aisle together and there's gonna be a minister or priest or whatever they're called, there's gonna be like, a hundred people there, we're gonna kiss, we're gonna eat cake, we're gonna get really drunk and we're just gonna be married, you know? It's not like anything will change, and we've kissed thousands of times... Probably. More? I don't know anything. I'm just- wow. Wow."

"You wanna say 'wow' one more time?"

Jungkook smiled sheepishly, sinking into the collar of his suit.

"I'm just really nervous."

"I know, Jungkook, you just said that."

Wide eyes blinked up at him and Seokjin just sighed, pulling into the parking lot of the small church where Jungkook and Taehyung were getting married. There weren't many cars there yet since the ceremony wasn't for a while longer, and so he just turned at looked Jungkook in the eye, trying to give him the best advice of a lifetime.

"Kook? Can you listen to me for a sec? I know you and Taehyung love each other. Seriously, it's incredible. You have nothing to worry about. The worst thing that could happen is that, I don't know, Jimin forgets to bring the rings or something. Which shouldn't happen since Taehyung is with him. Like you said, nothing's really going to change, right? So what do you have to be worried about?"

Jungkook bit his lip.

"I guess it's just the whole ceremony in general? Like, I would be fine just living with Taehyung and being with him for the rest of my life. , I'd give up everything if it meant staying with him. Taehyung means everything to me, you know? But just going through with the actual ceremony is terrifying to me. There are so many labels, there's so much expectation, everyone makes a fuss about this wedding, and I just don't want to disappoint anyone-"

"Nope! Nope, I did not just hear you say that."

Jungkook looked at him with confusion painted on his face, his lips slightly parted in mid sentence, his eyes unblinking.

"Jeon Jungkook, this is your wedding. No one is asking you to please anyone. No one is coming to this wedding with the thought that it better be the ing highlight of their life. People are coming here to see you and Taehyung be happy because there's nothing else we want for you. If you and Taehyung can be happy together, then that's all we want. Okay? You don't need to try and cater to everyone. You're getting married, Kook. Don't let anything ruin that for you."

Seokjin smiled at Jungkook, awkwardly reaching out with his seatbelt still on to pat Jungkook on the shoulder.

"You'll do just fine, kid."

Jungkook let out a breathy laugh and let a smile rest on his lips.

"Okay, thanks, Jin."


Taehyung let out a deep breath and pushed open the doors in front of him. There, he saw Jungkook turn around, a smile blooming on his face as soon as his eyes landed on Taehyung, and his name was already on his lips.

"Tae-"

"Jungkook! Oh, Jungkook!"

Taehyung ran forward and all but threw himself into Jungkook's open arms, and Jungkook let the air be knocked out of him before he let out a raspy laugh, and he kissed the crown of Taehyung's head, and he wrapped his arms around Taehyung's waist.

"Hey, Tae baby. You ready to do this?"

Taehyung lifted his head to look at Jungkook, his eyes bright and laughter swimming in them.

"Yeah, yeah I am."

Jungkook smiled a tight-lipped smile, and he let Taehyung go, only to reach out his hand and link their fingers together. Taehyung stared at his hand for a minute before he looked back at Jungkook's face, and he let the smile resting on his face grow. He slipped his hand into Jungkook's and grinned as he felt a light squeeze.

"Let's go."


Jimin stood and turned to face the doors when signalled, and his face quickly turned from one of boredom to one of utter excitement, happiness, and a tinge of sadness for the feeling that he lost two of his closest friends. But Yoongi's thumb unconsciously ran over his knuckles, and he bit his lips and shook those thoughts out of his head while he waited for Taehyung and Jungkook to walk out the doors.

And that they did, and Jimin couldn't be more taken away.

They were looking at each other like nothing else mattered in the world, and Jimin felt his heart thump against his chest. He watched them take their steps together in stride, one foot in front of the other, their eyes never leaving each other.

And then the whole image shattered when Jungkook tripped on nothing and fell flat on the ground.

"Oh my- Jung- I- holy -"

Taehyung freaked out while trying to help him back up, and the whole church was immediately in uproar for his concern. Jimin was torn between helping him up and filming him while laughing his guts out, and he opted for option number three: laughing so hard that he fell over too.

The whole ceremony was suddenly a mess and people had, for some reason, begun running around, but that all stopped when Jungkook threw an arm into the air, pushing himself back up, his face red from embarrassment and from the contact with the floor.

"We're okay! We're good."

Jimin let Yoongi pull him up and he stifled his laughter, watching Taehyung and Jungkook continue down the aisle, Jungkook's ears burning and Taehyung having a firm grip on his elbow, though Jimin could see the way he was holding back his laughter.

The rest of the ceremony went by rather uneventfully, but it was the sweetest wedding Jimin had ever been to, and he couldn't help the small squeal that left his lips when the two of them finally kissed.

When they left the main hall, Jimin hit Jungkook over the top of the head while he ran to Yoongi's car to head over to reception.

"Only you two could have a wedding where Jungkook fell flat on his face. Only you two."


a/n: not going to lie, every time i mention michael bublé i end up going on a michael bublé marathon bc c o m e  o n his music is amazing

i write about him way too much

i read that^ a few days after i wrote it and holy i almost went on another marathon no joke i love him so much

goodbyeeeeeee to this story~ thank you soooo much for reading it ^^