Chapter 2

'Betterer' Isn't a Word

Jung Hoseok. Average kid, average grades, average height, above average looks and personality. That's why all the girls guys flock to him, but he's not interested in any of them. No, Hoseok wants just one man and one man only.

You guessed it, Kim Taehyung.

Ahh, Taehyung. The sweetest berry in the bunch, the reddest apple on the tree, the juiciest steak in the world.

Why all his metaphors relate to food, he doesn't know, but they described all the things that were the entirety of Taehyung and more. He was everything that Hoseok had ever wanted and dreamed for, packaged into a simple man with many quirks.

He had his eyes on him since the boy first walked into the doors with a huge smile on his face, greeting people like they had been friends for years and years. Who knows? They very well could have been. They sure had Hoseok fooled. Taehyung and almost everyone else was getting along, laughing and joking with each other. That's not what we're here to talk about, though, is it?

So, here they are, at the start of the school year and not altogether too sure who the other party is. Actually, Taehyung still had no idea that the man even existed. His life had been complete, and it would have stayed that way even if he were to have never met Hoseok. That day, he was just going about, being cheerful as always and thinking it was a normal day when Hoseok popped up right in front of him.

Startled, he took a step back and flung his arms out, hitting Jimin right on the nose and sending him flying straight to the ground.

"Why hello there, my fine man. My name is Jung Hoseok, and I was wondering if-"

"Oh my god! Chimchim! Speak to me! Are you okay? I really didn't mean to hit you oh my god where's the nurse's office Jiminnie needs to get there right now he probably has a concussion or something even worse I must save him! I can't go on without him! We need to wait for Kookie to get to school too and oh no, someone please help me I think Jimin's dying- HE STOPPED BREATHING SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME I DON'T WANT HIM TO DIE ON ME HOLY JESUS!"

Hoseok was long gone, having left as soon as the other man had started freaking out. He was feeling bad for having caused the situation but definitely did not want to get any further involved. Who knows what sort of things he would've had to do if he stayed. That was when he watched one of the older students in the school, Sugar, or something? walk past and roll his eyes. He watched the man pause for a moment, seeming to hesitate to talk to the stressed male. Then, the blond man sighed, walked over and placed a hand on Hoseok's eye candy's shoulder (Hoseok still didn't know his name). He said a few words to him that made the man hug him, and his own face immediately scrunched up in disgust. The older student then shoved him off, picking up the unconscious male afterward and walked away, the other following closely behind.

Now mood slightly dampened, Hoseok then stalked off to class, vowing to try again later. His classmates could make out faint mumbles coming out from his mouth, but none audible enough to make any sense. He just looked like a crazy man.

How Taehyung saw it was that some guy jumped out of nowhere, scaring the out of him so he (accidentally) whacked Jimin real hard and knocked him to the ground. As he was freaking out, a man (who actually might have been shorter than Ji- no, still taller) walked over, placing his hand on his shoulder.

"Hey, shut the up. Your friend isn't dead. He's actually still breathing, and you would've noticed had you cared to check close enough. He probably just hit his head a bit when he fell down, so if you let him sleep for a while, he should be fine. My name's Yoongi, by the way, but you can call me Suga." Taehyung pounced on the man, giving him a huge hug.

Immediately groaning, Yoongi tried to slip out of the hug, but to no avail. He only managed to push the other down a little, having him hang off of him. Taehyung didn't even notice, too ecstatic at the news that no, Jimin indeed was not dying.

He still wasn't a murderer.

Yet.

"REALLY? THANK YOU SO MUCH, YOONGI! I'M TAEHYUNG! AND THIS IS MY CHIMCHIM! MY CHIMCHIM WILL BE OKAY AND HE ISN'T DEAD!"

Yoongi sighed, already tired of the kid. He nodded a few times at the words just being spoken at him, none of them actually registering in his head.

"Yes, yes, now get the off of me, Jesus ing christ, dude, stop touching me." Yoongi, after struggling some more, peeled Taehyung off of him, dropping him onto the ground and picked Jimin up. He then started walking towards the nurse's office, shaking his head at how ridiculous this first day was being.

Taehyung skipped along behind him, now careful to keep the distance between them. 

When they got to the nurse's office, Yoongi basically threw Jimin onto the bed, narrowly missing the wall and having the body almost slide off, Taehyung running forward to push him back on. Yoongi turned away slowly, rubbing the back of his neck while grimacing.

"Whoops."

"Yeah, no ."

"Hey, I'm older than you! Don't say that to me, you little kid-"

"I'm still taller, so your argument is invalid."

"You little-"

Yoongi lunged for Taehyung's neck, but at that moment, the school nurse walked in, scolding both of them. He then checked up on Jimin, deeming him absolutely fine and let the two of them skip first period (again, of the very first day of school) to wait for him to wake up.

Taehyung sat there, making random noises with his mouth, and Yoongi was ready to punch him. Not giving a damn, the man with pink hair just kept doing whatever the hell he so pleased, very aware of the other burning holes into his head. At some point, Taehyung swore he heard Yoongi curse him, and so he just turned to face him very suddenly, making the older man jump a little before Taehyung gave him the biggest, brightest smile that he could muster.

"I think we'll get along just fine, Yoongi!"

"Goddamn little prick, we don't know each other well enough yet, so call me Suga, for 's sake." 

"I don't want to. I wanna call you Yoongi!"

Yoongi put on his best face and stared at Taehyung for a solid ten minutes. Taehyung, grasping the situation very quickly, returned the gesture, neither man giving out to the other. By the end of the ten minutes, Yoongi smiled and turned his head away from the younger, nodding the entire time.

"Yes, I think we will get along just fine. If your 'Chimchim' is anything like you are, then I think everything will be just dandy."

Taehyung snorted, covering his mouth with both hands as he stared at the now very confused blond male.

"What?"

He slowly lowered one of his hands only to point at Yoongi's face, eyes disappearing from laughing too much.

"You said dandy. No one says dandy."

Yoongi rolled his eyes and hit Taehyung square in the jaw.

"Shut the up, man."


Jimin woke up soon after, wishing he didn't because Taehyung immediately jumped on him, throwing him back onto the bed and almost suffocating him. He punched Taehyung a few times, but the other man was very good at taking hits. After much more turmoil, he had somehow managed to push the other off before he belatedly noticed the other man awkwardly standing in the corner of the room.

He picked Taehyung up by the collar, whispering harshly into his ear while staring at Yoongi the entire time, eyes turning into slits.

"Tae! Who the hell is that?" 

Not understanding the attempted secrecy at all, Taehyung perked up, pulling away from Jimin.

"Oh! Jiminnie, this is Yoongi and he's the one who picked you up and brought you here after some kid made me hit you in the face! Yoongi, this is Park Jimin, one of my best friends in the whole entire world that would never give me up for anything!"

Yoongi raised his eyebrow at that last statement, eyes going from one man to the other. The brunet still sitting on the bed then dropped his head in his hands, embarrassed by Taehyung's complete ignorance.

"Taehyung! Stop saying like that! You're my best friend, yes, sure, okay, but just- just don't say that!"

The pink haired male pouted, crawling onto the bed and forcing his head into Jimin's lap. Yoongi just widened his eyes and slowly inched towards the door, not wanting to interrupt them, but Jimin quickly caught sight of him from the corner of his eye. He sighed lightly to himself, gently poking the tallest man's cheek.

"Tae, I'm sorry, I didn't mean that, but come on, can you please get up? You're making Yoongi uncomfortable."

The blond man whipped his head to face them, looking like a deer caught in the headlights. He had not expected either of them to notice him and felt bad that Jimin saw him attempting to escape.

"No, no, it's okay. You guys just keep doing what you're doing, I'm gonna go-"

"Yoongi, are you homophobic?"

Both offended and shocked, the man's jaw dropped to the ground, eyes boring into Taehyung's.

"No, Taehyung. I'm actually not homophobic. That'd be quite troublesome considering the fact that I am homoual, don't you think?"

Taehyung got up off of Jimin's lap, putting his hands up in the air.

"Whoa man, sorry, I didn't mean to piss you off or anything. It's just that Chimchim here and I have had some bad experiences with homophobic douches, so I was just making sure. Wasn't trying to put anything against you. Also, Jimin and I aren't together, just so you know. We're only really, really close friends. There's another one of us, he's coming in two years."

Yoongi nodded, taking the information in. He wasn't going to lie, he was still rather offended that Taehyung would even ponder the idea.Trying to put it behind him, the three of them then kept talking awhile and exchanged numbers before they all went to class, agreeing to meet up for lunch later in the day.

At some point in the day, Yoongi received messages from both Taehyung and Jimin, apologizing for what had happened earlier. Yoongi decided that things were cool and that yeah, they probably really were just looking out for themselves.

He hitched his bag higher up onto his back before heading to his music class. Walking into the class, he saw a few people here and there, none looking too excited to be there, but he could honestly care less. Yoongi sat at the very back of the class, not interested in anything that was happening around him. He had a single earbud in, listening to whatever music came on. He closed his eyes, sinking down into the chair and waited for the teacher to arrive.

Suddenly, the earbud was ripped out, a smiling face appearing right in front of his. He jumped up and back, knocking the chair to the ground.

"What the hell! Where did you come from? Who the are you?"

The man in front of him pursed his lips, letting the earbud in his fingers drop to the floor. He squatted down and smiled at Yoongi once more.

"I'm Hoseok, and I've been in this class with you since the beginning of last year. Have you just never noticed me? You know, that's pretty rude." Hoseok looked at Yoongi disapprovingly, nose scrunched up in distaste. The blond man just shook his head, slowly bending down to pick up the chair.

"Sorry, I don't really pay attention to other people all that much. I'm just in this class for the composition, anyway." Before Hoseok could open his mouth to say anymore, a tall man came up behind Yoongi, slapping a hand down on his back.

"Hey Suga, you have that piece ready? We gotta perform it today."

Standing straight, Yoongi turned to face his friend of one year younger, Kim Namjoon, better known as Rap Monster (to be honest, Yoongi hates the name, but he'd never tell the kid). He nodded, shooing the kid away. He didn't want to deal with any of the people in his class today, and after Namjoon had been led away, he sat back in his seat.

"So Suga, you free at lunch today?" Yoongi jumped out of his seat (again) and fell to the ground, causing everyone in the class to look at him. Hoseok had just popped his head right beside Yoongi's ear, whispering as quietly and creepily as he could.

"Dude! What the ? Stop it! And no, I'm not free at lunch, get away from me, good lord!"

Hoseok didn't leave, though. He just frowned before grabbing another chair, placing it directly in front of Yoongi's.

"If you're not free for lunch, would you mind if I joined you? I just want to see who your friends are and-"

"No."

"Oh come on! Just for today!"

Yoongi glared at the man still squatted right in front of him, eyes wide and filled with hope. Normally, he'd just continue to deny the younger, however, he was feeling nice today and allowed him to come along. It was the first day of school, after all.

Nodding, he pushed Hoseok away, sticking his earbuds back in and returning to his phone. The other man just hopped around like a rabbit, very excited for lunch.


a/n: just so its clear, when yoongi first talks to tae and says 'hey, shut the up' it isnt rude like 'omfg would you shut your trap goddamn' its casual like 'hey, if you would kindly shut the up thatd be awesome, thanks' hes a sarcastic bastard, imo

but hes also the loml so adorable i love yoongi okay leave me alone

age timeline:

if kook was 14:

kook-14
tae-16
min-16
hoseok-17
joon-17
yoongz-18
jin-18

and this is the image that i always picture when someone is hanging off another's waist while theyre tryna walk

credits go to old先, author of 19天 (19 Days)

pt 1 link pt 2 link english trans (yes theres nothing to translate here but its the link to the whole manhua if you guys want it)

im quite dissatisfied with this chapter. ㅍ_ㅍ