8TH CHAPTER

TOGETHER

Jiyong just came out from the shower and is drying his hair with the towel in his hand. He moves to his bed and sit. Just now he came back, he saw his two dongsaengs were cleaning up the kitchen and washing dishes, but he couldn’t see any trace of Seunghyun. Without being asked, Daesung told him that Seunghyun already went upstairs. Seungri kept on bragging about Seunghyun’s cooking and that was the first time, Jiyong saw how excited and happy Seungri was when talking about their eldest hyung. Before, Seungri never talked about Seunghyun with that happy expression and there will always be some dissatisfaction about Seunghyun from him, but this time, the dinner might be brought some difference. They were happy talking about the dinner. Daesung already kept some of the dishes for Jiyong and Jiyong knows that all the dishes were his favorites but Jiyong keep his pride by saying that he will eat later.

After making sure that his dongsaengs already sleep in their room, Jiyong decided to go downstairs to the kitchen. He walks to the fridge and takes out those dishes and put it in the microwave to reheat them. It has been maybe about 10 years, since the last time Seunghyun cooked for them all. Jiyong takes the spoon and taste the soup. Jiyong closes his eyes, and he finally smiles. It taste the same, nothing changes. Jiyong takes a bowl of rice and those dishes to the table and starts to eat, even he already had his dinner outside with the staffs, but still he can’t resist the foods prepared by his eldest hyung. It is not something that he can taste every day.

Once, he finishes eating, he cleans up the table and the bowls that he used. He looks at his watch, it is 12.30am, what a time to eat. Jiyong walks to the stairs with the intention to go to his bedroom but he steps is stop when he sees through the glass window, a figure sitting on the swing in their garden near the lake. Jiyong walks to the glass window; he rubs his eyes, tries to see clearly the figure that sits there in the middle of the night. It is Seunghyun. Jiyong sigh. What his hyung doing there alone in this late hour. He has been acting weirdly for the whole day and Jiyong starting to get worried over his eldest hyung, and now Jiyong can’t stand it anymore. I’ve to talk to him. Jiyong first climbs the stairs heading to his bedroom. Once he enters his bedroom, he opens his wardrobe and takes out his sweater then he immediately walks out of his room. Once he out of the house, he walks slowly out towards the lake and he shivers a bit as he feels the night cold wind touch him and he can sees that his hyung is still there sitting alone, just wearing his black pajama, without wearing any thick clothes. He can get sick if he stays outside this long without wearing any thick clothes. Jiyong breathe in deeply before let out a sigh. How should we start this?

“Hyung…” Jiyong said slowly from behind. Seunghyun looks startled a bit at that sudden voice and he turns to his left, standing there Jiyong with a sweater in his hand and at the same time his dongsaeng gives out the sweater to him. 

“Don’t stay outside too long, you might get sick,” Jiyong said once Seunghyun takes the sweater from him and because he feels a bit awkward, Jiyong decided to leave. However once he turns away to leave, Seunghyun suddenly calls him.

“Ji..”

Jiyong stops and he turns to his hyung but he didn’t reply.

“Could you sit here with me for awhile?”

Jiyong just keep quiet and looks at his hyung that currently looking at him with a pleading look. Damn! Guilt already seeps through Jiyong’s heart. Jiyong quietly walks to his hyung and sit carefully beside his hyung on the swing. Seunghyun slowly put on the sweater and after that they are together looking at the lake before them quietly without talking for a few minutes. The quietness of the surrounding fills the emptiness between them and Jiyong started to hate this whole situation with his hyung so much. Should I start the talk? Once Jiyong wants to open his mouth, Seunghyun already starts first.

“How was the meeting?” Seunghyun speaks.

“Went smoothly, I’ll ask Lee Hi to give the minute to you tomorrow,” Jiyong replied. Seunghyun nodded and the emptiness happens again between them.

“Did you feel okay leading that meeting?” Seunghyun asked again.

“It would be better if you can at least inform me before hands,”

“In future, it would be so many times you will face that kind of situation; handling meetings, conducting projects, or even briefing with the investors. If something happened out of the blue, you must be able to control and handle the situation smoothly. Consider it as training,” Seunghyun explained.

Jiyong just keep quiet silently admitting the truth behind his hyung’s words.

“Get to know the investors, expand your networks, and work together with the staffs and not as a boss, but as a leader. The staffs are everything to the company Ji, without them we can’t work properly. Appreciate them, gives compliments. They don’t work for us, but they work with us. If you have time, meet Hye Jung. Ask her about my files, my projects; get familiar with everything not just focusing on your projects alone. If something happened, you can cover me and control the situation. People are looking at us Ji, our company and our reputations. There are times they are not that happy with our achievements, so be cautious. Protect your right, the company and the staffs as well. Got it?”

Jiyong again fall into silent, slowly he turns to his hyung on his left and he sees Seunghyun already looking at him with smiles. His hyung is known as someone with few words. He doesn’t say much and he is so secretive. He doesn’t always speak everything that is in his mind as he always keeps everything inside and to give advice? No. He is not someone who gives advice too. He shows example through action and that’s what Jiyong has been doing all this while, following his footsteps. But now, Seunghyun suddenly giving advice and remind him about many things, Jiyong started to feel different.

 “Stop over thinking. Hyung just feels like want to remind you, that’s all,” Seunghyun chuckles like he can really read Jiyong’s mind and he turns his view back to the lake, not saying anything further.

Jiyong in silent looking at his hands, he doesn’t know what to say in return. It is true that among the siblings, Jiyong is the closest to Seunghyun and he might be the one who knows Seunghyun the most, but as much as people think that Jiyong knows him, it still not enough. It is still not enough for him to read his eldest hyung’s mind. Sudden reminder from his hyung makes him think deeper about his hyung. The truth behind Seunghyun’s words showed him how big responsibilities that Seunghyun has been holding for all this time.

“I’m sorry,”

Seunghyun looks at Jiyong. Jiyong just apologize to him.

“I’m sorry hyung,”

“Ji..”

“I ignored you for weeks, I didn’t talk to you, I didn’t greet you, and I gave you a cold shoulder for so many weeks. I’m sorry hyung,” Jiyong apologize but he didn’t dare to lift up his head.

Seunghyun sigh.

“It was my fault and I deserved that. You have done nothing wrong, so stop apologizing. I made promise without thinking, so I’m the one who should apologize. I’m sorry, Ji,” Seunghyun replied. Jiyong shakes his head.

“No hyung. You have done nothing wrong. Something must have come up that time, I should understand. There is no way you will abandon us. I’m sorry, I should have understands you more hyung, just like Daesung understands you,”

Seunghyun chuckles at his dongsaeng.

“And you must have running out of patience with me right? That’s why you ignore me for weeks,” Seunghyun said as he ruffles his dongsaeng’s orange hair. It’s been awhile since he does that. Jiyong is his backbone, Seunghyun can’t function properly without him, and there is no way he will ever get angry with him.

“Bear with me Ji, and don’t easily walk away from me in future. I need you, you are not just my dongsaeng, you are more than that. You are my backbone. Without you, hyung can’t function. Got it?” Seunghyun finally speaks what is in his heart.

“Hyung…”

“Daesung must hurt a lot that time. He cooked so much but I wasn’t there and Seungri must have been waiting for me too. I hurt everyone, Ji,” Seunghyun said as he looks at the dark sky.

“They understand,” Jiyong replied.

Seunghyun shakes his head. He knows his dongsaengs so much even they think that he doesn’t know them that well, they are definitely wrong. Seunghyun knows them better than everyone.

“Even they understand, it still hurts no matter what. I’ve been spending my whole time with works and I did everything that I can to fix our family so that we can live comfortably and happily but in that process, I hurt so many people. I hurt my family and there won’t be any days went by that I’m not thinking about all of you. I made one little promise but even that small promise, I still failed to keep it. No matter how success I am in the people’s eyes, I’m still hundreds steps behind in my family’s eyes. All of you have grown up so well and you don’t know how proud I am with all of you. It is my fault Ji and I know that I’m not there for everyone when they need me the most as their hyung. I let you take care of everyone in the house, managing their welfare, support them and thanks to you Ji, you were there for them. You were there for everyone, and I’m very grateful for that” Seunghyun silent for awhile and then he takes Jiyong’s hand in his. Seunghyun tightened his grip. “How can I fix this? I miss my dongsaengs. Is it really too late for us to be together again?”

Jiyong stunned by his hyung’s words. This is the first time Seunghyun said this kind of thing to him as Seunghyun is the one who won’t share his inner feelings to anyone and this is the first time Seunghyun open up about their family and his thoughts.

“Hyung, we are together. We are not leaving you. Please don’t say things like this, we understand what you have done for us for all this while. You build everything from scratch hyung, I remember that. Long before I take care of them, long before Daesung can cook for us, long before I am there for them, it’s you hyung. It’s you. It’s you were there for us, for dongsaengs. You fed us, you took care of us, you are our father and mother and don’t you dare say that you are not there for us. You were and you are. We grew up with your hands hyung. Please, don’t say things like this again. What you were already providing to us, we can never repay you for that,” Jiyong said and again he is stunned seeing his eldest brother is shedding a tear. Jiyong never sees Seunghyun cries before even when they lost their mother. Seunghyun never cries but now what is happening to him. Seunghyun is crying and then he pulls Jiyong into his embrace and he hugs him tight, like Jiyong will disappear any moment.

Jiyong hugs Seunghyun back. Jiyong still confused but he is relieved as at least he knows what Seunghyun is thinking and what bothers his mind at the moment.

“We are not leaving you, hyung,” Jiyong said while still hugging his hyung.

Seunghyun nodded but he is still crying. What should I do, Ji? What should I do? I’m fading away. How can I leave all of you? How can I leave?

Seunghyun finally breaks the hug and he wipes his tears. He holds Jiyong’s shoulders. Finally he says it and again with the pleading look.

“Bring him home. Bring Taeyang back here,”

Jiyong is speechless.

 

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

“Daesung.. Daesung-ah.. Daesung! Hey! Wake up! Don’t you have any class today?”

“No! Morning class was canceled. Next class is in the afternoon,” Daesung replied without opens his eyes even a bit. Haisy. I already off my alarm, but still got someone tries to wake me up at this early morning. Can’t I have a good sleep?

“Okay, sleeps. Hyung will drop Seungri to school, and if you want to eat, breakfast is ready downstairs. Help yourself, okay? Bye” then that person ruffles Daesung’s hair.

Who is being silly here? What’s the point of drives Seungri to school as he got his own driver for that and with that thought, Daesung slowly drift into sleeps again.

Seungri just tied his shoelaces when Seunghyun come downstairs and asked him whether he is ready or not. Seungri with his big grin nodded excitedly to Seunghyun. Just now in the morning, Seunghyun suddenly popped out in front of his room telling that he will be the one who going to send him to school today as he got an appointment and the place near with Seungri’s school, so it won’t be a problem for him to send him. Seungri as usual gave his hyung a weird look but after that Seunghyun just smiles to him and promised to him that he will tell him how Seungri actually has his hyung phone number. Therefore Seungri just straight away jump and agreed for Seunghyun to send him to school. 

This is the first time for Seungri to ride in his hyung’s red Ferrari so he got a little bit of excited and that grin on his face just couldn’t disappear.

“Are you that happy ride in hyung’s car?” Seunghyun finally speaks up after he can’t hold it in anymore seeing his maknae’s excited face.

“Yeah, of course! Like finally I get to ride hyung’s car,” Seungri replied with excitement.

“I always thought you love Jiyong’s car better. His car is far more expensive than mine,”

“Yeah, his Bentley is unbeatable but yeah. However, we will always yearn for things that seems impossible for us to get isn’t it hyung,” Seungri smiles.

Seunghyun is silent for awhile listening to his maknae’s answer and that answer makes him pondering a bit and finally he nodded and let out a smile.

“Is it really okay for you to send me to school today, hyung?”

“I told you that I want to meet the client nearby your school, right. Just one way, what is there to be worry about,”

“No, I’m just afraid that you will be late, that’s all,”

“No problem Seungri. If you also want me to pick you up after school, it’s fine for me too. Hyung is not that busy today, and after that we can pick Daesung and go for some shopping. Hyung need to buy something too. Is it okay for you?” Seunghyun then turn to his side and found Seungri with his mouth open is currently looking at him.

“What?”

“HYUNG! SERIOUS?”

“Yeah, of course I’m serious. I told you I’m not that busy today,”

“WOW!! Hyung, how about office?”

“Jiyong is there, he can cover me,”

“Daebakkkk!!!”

Seunghyun chuckles at his maknae’s reaction. “So, I’ll take it as a yes, then?”

“For you, it will always be a yes, hyung! I can’t wait! Can I ask for anything when we shop?”

“Yes,”

Seungri is so damn excited and he scrolls down his window and he screams “Yeay” out loud. This is his first time being so excited to go to school as he can’t wait to meet Seunghyun in the evening, so they can play together. Seunghyun just chuckles looking at Seungri.

As they arrive in front of Seungri’s school, Seungri suddenly hold up his right hand to Seunghyun and Seunghyun gives him a quizzical look.

“It’s a gives me 5 hyung!”

“Oh!” Seunghyun smiles and gives Seungri a gives me 5 gesture and with that Seungri happily opens the door and gets out from the car, but before he closes it he looks back at Seunghyun.

“Hyung, you promised me to tell me about your phone number,” Seungri pouts and Seunghyun smiles.

“Go in first, I’ll call you and then saves my number,”

“Okay, but do you know my number, hyung?”

“I know everyone’s number,”

Seungri smiles at Seunghyun. “Alright, goodbye hyung. Have a nice day,” with that Seungri closes the door and waves at his hyung and enters the school. Seunghyun smiles and once he sees Seungri safely enters the school, he starts to drive back.

Seungri walks into the school and happily greets everyone today and his friends give him a weird look. Seungri never gets excited coming to school every morning and even today Seungri is quite early.

“Too excited for school, I’m starting to get worried about you Seungri,” said Jisoo, Seungri’s classmate and also his best friend.

“What?”

“I’m in a good mood,”

“Finally got Seohyun?’

Suddenly, Seungri’s smile turns into a grim by hearing the name of the girl that he secretly has a crush on for 2 years now.

“Shut up will you?” Seungri replied.

“Ah, I can’t even make a joke now,” Jisoo replied and laughs with the others.

“Yeah, stop joking and please, stop playing prank on me okay!” Seungri said as he enters his class and walks to his seat. Jisoo gives a questioning look to him.

“Dude, what prank?”

“What prank you asked? You called me yesterday and haunting my life with numbers only God knows whose phone that you used,”

“Kyaaa silly! I went to hospital to visit my grandpa yesterday, remember? I got no time to play prank with you. I was so busy yesterday,” Jisoo claims as he smacks Seungri’s back, proving his innocent with a serious face.

“Then, who the hell that…” Seungri can’t get to finish his words when suddenly his phone in his right pocket is vibrating. Seungri immediately takes out his phone and he sees that exact unknown number that texted him yesterday is calling him now.

“Pick up!” Jisoo said.

Seungri reluctantly answers the call.

“Hello?”

“…..”

“Hello”

“…..”

“Kyaaa! Stop disturbing me, I told you I’ll kick you once I meet you,”

“Then try kick me after school,” a deep voice appears.

“…..”

“Ri, saves my number. Gives me a call once you finishes there,”

“Hyung?”

“What?”

“!”

“You cursed at me?”

“NO! Hyung! Oh my god, hyung!”

“What?”

“Hyyyyuuuuuuunnngggg!!”

“Hahaha. See you later Ri. Bye,” 

Seungri hears his hyung finally cut off the line and Seungri closes his eyes tightly and slowly everything that happened yesterday flooding his mind like a movie. So, his hyung notice him hiding behind the flower pots. Oh my! What an embarrassment is this? Seungri straight away knock his head to the table before him few times.

“Kyaaa!! You want to break your head or what?”

No response from Seungri and he just keeps on knocking his head to the table.

“Ahh.. You really want to break your head. Nahhh… Let me help you with that,” finally Seungri stops and gives his friend an annoyed look and Jisoo laughs.

 

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

Daesung walks lazily to downstairs and he found Jiyong in his complete blue suits and with his serious expression is eating his breakfast quietly. There on the dining table, got a korean breakfast with quite lots of side dishes are served. Who the hell cooks this breakfast? Did the hyungs just hire someone to prepare the breakfast for them? Daesung ignore the questions in his mind as he is so hungry and after that he greets his hyung then walks to the rack and takes his bowl, then he back to the dining table, he pulls out a chair in front of Jiyong. Daesung sees Jiyong is still with his serious expression like he is in a deep thinking but still eating his breakfast slowly.

“Are you okay, hyung?” Daesung asked once he starts his breakfast too.

“Hmm..”

“Why you drives Seungri to school hyung? The driver can send him as usual,”

Jiyong suddenly stops eating when he hears that and he instantly looks at Daesung who at that time with his innocent face continues eating.

“Who drives Seungri to school?” Jiyong asked seriously. Daesung stops and stares at Jiyong for awhile. What is going on here?

“You drive him to school, right?” Daesung replied.

“I am here in front of you, Dae,”

“You told me this morning that you will send Seungri to school and you even wakes me up”

“I overslept, Dae. I just woke up and I don’t wake you up this morning,”

“Then who entered my room this morning?”

Jiyong immediately takes his phone at his side, looks like he is calling someone. Once Jiyong opens his mouth, Daesung knows that Jiyong is calling the guard.

“Jong Woon, who sent Seungri to school this morning?”

Looking at Jiyong’s shocks expression, Daesung starts to feel worry over his one and only maknae. Who entered his room this morning?

“Who sent him, hyung?” Daesung asked Jiyong immediately after Jiyong cut off the line. Jiyong let out a sigh.

“It was Seunghyun hyung,”

“WHAT?”

Jiyong nodded and continue his eating.

“So, he was the one who entered my room this morning? Wake me up?” Daesung asked and Jiyong didn’t respond to those questions. Daesung then looks at the dishes on the table and looks back at his hyung.

“Don’t tell me, Seunghyun hyung was the one who prepared all of these,” Daesung asked and again no response from Jiyong. Jiyong just finishes his drink and get himself ready to moves. He walks to the couch and takes his briefcase.

“Hyung..” Daesung calls Jiyong and it caused Jiyong to stop and turn to him. “Still on silent treatment with Seunghyun hyung?”

Jiyong finally gives out a smile and he doesn’t know how relieved Daesung is once his dongsaeng sees him smiling.

“I’m done with silent treatment, Dae. Don’t worry as there will be no silent treatment anymore and this thing will never happen again. Okay?”

“Then, why you looked so tense?”

Jiyong sighs again and smiles back to his dongsaeng.

“I have a very important meeting today and I’m quite nervous, that’s all. Don’t worry,”

“You are amazing hyung! You will nail it as usual, so stop being nervous and all the best for the meeting!”

Jiyong nodded and he waves at his dongsaeng and then he walks to the door. Once he is out of the house, his face back to the serious expression and he walks to his car. His driver already opens the door for him and he just gets into the back seat of the car.

Jiyong takes out his phone from his pocket and reread the text message that he received this morning.

“See you this lunch, my adorable dongsaeng!! I miss you too! – Taeyang”

Yeah, all the best for the meeting Jiyong-ah.