No. 41

Remember Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"What do you mean you remember?" Seohyun asked, her voice merely a whisper in the dead of night.

"I didn't mean to tell you like this, I wanted it to be special" He began, she shook her head.

"What do you mean you remember?" She asked once again, a scream on the cusp of her lips.

A tentative smile graced his lips. He slowly approached her, as if she would just turn and run any second.

"I've been dreaming of you Seohyun. Ever since I woke up. All I knew is that there was a girl somewhere in the haze of my mind there was a girl I loved that no one knew about her except me. The last time I  was with you I ran into Hyun Ok. I followed my dreams and ended up at your freaking house. Your mom she just let me in and after that Hyun Ok helped me with all of this. She helped me remember you"

Seohyun stared at him, hearing his words but not quite able to understand it. She felt slightly unsteady as she stumbled back and her back collided with the side of her car. She placed her hand on the cool metal, steadying herself and quietly thanking it for keeping her on her feet. She didn't know what to say, her mind spun in a million directions as he crossed the distance between them and grabbed her by the shoulders gently. Seohyun felt her vision being to cloud and looked up at Jongin choosing to focus on his face. The same face that she had fallen in love with all those years stared back at her, with the same edges and subtle imperfections that she had committed to memory and recalled with fondness.

He said something, but it went on deaf ears as her breathing quickened and with shaking hands she reached out for him. Her trembling fingers touched his face as if for the first time. She watched as he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. She recalled the nights when she had been young, when her mind would escape the tight control she kept it under and fantasized about being able to touch the spirit besides her. The tears spilled over now, overflowing with the rush of all her emotions. Jongin opened his eyes and his dark eyes met the deepest depths of hers, a shudder coursed through her as she wrapped her arms around him and buried her face into his chest.

She could feel Jongin's heart racing, hear it thumping against his chest and wondered if he could feel hers too.

"You jerk" She whispered into his chest, not letting him go, "Why did it take you so long?" She asked.

"I wanted to tell you earlier, I had no idea how. I've been meaning to tell you so many things. To tell you just how empty my life has been. I was missing the most important thing and I didn't even know it" He whispered, his lips pressing softly into the top of her hair.

His chest tightened with the cascade of emotions inside of him as he held her.

"The nightmares and the fact that you haven't been feeling well, is it all because she helped you remember me?" Seohyun murmured.

"Yeah" Jongin said simply.

Seohyun closed her eyes and wondered why them being together always seemed to hurt one or the other.

"I'm sorry for everything" Jongin whispered.

Seohyun opened her eyes slowly, the joy at his words slowly fading away as she remembered why she had been leaving. She cast her eyes downwards and pushed him back gently. The illusion of happiness slowly crumbled around her.

"Wait, so you remembered everything about us, but you still called her?" Seohyun asked, her voice hollow as she shrugged his arms off of her.

He paused, "Yeah, but I only did it because I realized just how much I had come in and disrupted your life and I didn't want to do it anymore, but I needed someone and she was... there" He explained.

The heartbreak in her eyes was so visible, he could almost feel it himself. Hopelessness bubbled up inside of him as he silently begged her to please just look past his mistake. If he could have turned back time, he would have. There was nothing worse than knowing he himself had put that look into her eyes.

"She must mean something then" She said quietly, wishing she could be the one to disappear at that moment. The things she was coming up with in her mind were too painful to think about. She stared up at him, wishing she could stop the tears that kept falling, maybe there really was nothing they could do against the time that had passed.

Maybe it had been too long and their efforts too little, too late. Timing was just as important as anything else between two people. If they weren't meant to be...

"What?"

"She must mean something if you chose to go to her instead of coming to me. I let you in my house, after remembering everything you must've known at least how much I still

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter