No. 13

Remember Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seohyun stared at the older woman sitting in front of her. She looked nothing like she imagined a self-professed psychic to look like. The woman looked so… normal. There was no gaudy jewelry, no weird tattoos or anything that you tended to see in movies. Although if she really wanted to nitpick Seohyun figured she probably looked just as normal. Her mother was talking besides her, giving her details about that night, but the woman kept her eyes on Seohyun. She forced herself to stay still even though the way the woman’s eyes only ever slightly flickered to stare behind her where Jongin stood.

It made Seohyun uncomfortable, knowing that someone else could see him. She felt like her privacy was being invaded.

“She can see me can’t she?” Jongin asked, leaning slightly forward.

Seohyun didn’t move as she watched the woman subtly smile.

“I guess she can” Jongin muttered.

“You need to help her. My mother used to talk about you all the time, I remember the things she told me about you” Her mother said as she wrung her hands together nervously.

“I don’t need help” Seohyun interrupted and the woman merely smiled.

“Why don’t we have a talk first? It would probably be best if we do it privately?” She said calmly, Seohyun could hear the hint of amusement in her voice and felt a spark of annoyance.

Seohyun’s mom stood up and with some reluctance left them alone.

“So how long have you two been communicating? You can simply call me Hyun Ok by the way” She asked calmly.

Seohyun hesitated, “I don’t want him to leave. We’ve been fine all this time. My mom blew everything out of proportion. It was a mistake”

“I don’t want to hurt her again. We need help” Jongin interrupted this time and Seohyun shook her head.

“We don’t need that much help he’s just—“ She began before the woman extended her hand out.

“Let’s see what we’re working with why don’t we? Give me your hand” She said and Seohyun instinctively held both of her hands closer to her.

“I’d rather not” She said honestly, finally tasting the energy in the air. It was strange to her to be in the same room with someone she knew to be far more powerful than her. She hadn’t noticed it at first, the feeling felt a little like anxiety at first, but it was only know that she realized it wasn’t just her anxiety, but it was the energy coming off from that woman. It made her extremely uncomfortable.

“I won’t do anything. I promise. Your grandmother trusted me, you can too” She assured her.

Seohyun looked at Jongin who was also studying the woman closely. He looked back at Seohyun and met her eyes. He gave her a small smile and nodded for her to do it. She took a deep breath and before she could chicken out she forced herself to place her hand in the woman’s.

Instantly, she felt like her breath rushed out of her. She felt an electrical current enter her and opened some sort of connection between them. It was too much, she tried to take her hand back, but the woman held on firmly. The current buzzed stronger, it didn’t hurt it was just so invasive. It might have been crazy, but as she shuddered she could almost feel something being pulled from her. She closed her eyes tightly and tried to put up with it. It seemed like forever before the woman’s grip on her relaxed and Seohyun yanked her hand back. She looked up to complain about the whole experience when she saw that Hyun Ok’s eyes were fixated on Jongin now.

“Can you help us?” He asked and Seohyun could tell that he was more nervous than he was letting on.

“Of course I can, but you two are… in such a strange predicament” She said as she thought about the two kids in front of her, “Your powers are infinitely weaker than you grandmother’s were. It’s a wonder you can even communicate with someone like him”

“It skipped my mother’s generation and by the time it got to me I only really got a faint taste of it. I can feel things around me and open connections with some people, but really nothing too extraordinary. He’s the only ghost I’ve ever been able to communicate with or see clearly” Seohyun commented, “I always thought it might have something to do with the way he died or something, but he won’t tell me about it”

Hyun Ok stared at Jongin and smirked. He looked away and she wondered if he knew that she knew his little secret. She wondered why he hadn’t shared that with Seohyun. She did not feel a particular demonic or malevolent presence from him either so she did not fear that, but what was happening right now would end in the same way if it wasn’t stopped. She glanced back at the girl in front of her. She looked so much like her old friend there was no doubt in her mind that some of her friend’s power had been passed on. She didn’t know whether to feel bad for her because it wasn’t enough or to feel relieved for her instead. She wasn’t stupid though and she noticed how attached they both were to each other and knew. This would be difficult.

“Would you like to know more about your friend over there” Hyun Ok said smiling as the boy stood up straight and shook his head anxiously behind Seohyun, “… Maybe that really makes no difference though”

“What are you tal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter