...6

The Last Single Girl

Living in your head can sometimes be fun, but when it’s getting to much, your view in life changes which is a total wrecker because one moment you got it all figured out, the next, you’re spilling all over.

A month has passed and I’m surviving being a single girl who doesn’t look for a date, doesn’t flirt in any way, and just enjoying every day with the mantra, ‘I’m happy. I’m contented. I don’t need any man, just me, myself and I. (at least for the meantime).

Ok. Screw that.

About a week ago, I happen to trip on checking my online dating account that I’ve forgotten for quite some time now. I was so shocked to see six guys from different sides of the world, asking if they can know me or telling how interested they are in me. I was never showered with so much compliments ever in my life, until they did.

Out of curiosity, I picked one out of the two Korean guys who I think, is close to what I’m looking for. His name is Joon Hyung, born and raised in Busan but is now working as a hotel manager in Seoul. According to his profile (that by the way, looks so fancy), he finished Hotel and Restaurant Management in a University in Japan. He loves cats (too bad, I don’t), and collects vinyls. Though not into music that much, it says that he loves the vintage sound coming from every vinyl when being played on a turntable. There are still a lot of things on his profile page that is quite interesting. This guy, is a prospect.

Today is my day off from work. Actually, I have the whole weekend to enjoy, which Jiyong and I are really excited of. He said he will give time for me in his now busy, recording schedule (his comeback album is coming into shape).

“OH MY!” I squeaked “What to do?”

I’m definitely in panic mode. It’s not even been an hour since I woke up and here’s a message from Joon Hyung, asking if we can meet up for lunch today.

Scattered all over the place, I take a deep breath, calming myself down.

AH!

If there’s one person who can clear my cloudy mind, it’s none other than, Jiyong.

“HELP!” I shouted over the phone. He hasn’t even spoken a word yet. He cleared his throat and with a bedroom voice he said, “What?”

I just disturbed a good sleep. Oppsssieee!

“He’s asking me out!” I shrieked, excitement in my voice.

Silence.

Silence.

Silence.

“Jiyongie!” I called out. He hissed. “I thought you’re done chatting with him?”

Oh yeah. I told him that I’m getting bored chatting with the dude and I’ll cut communication already, but he’s being oh-so-sweet these past few days, that I found myself enjoying every time we chat.

Following up, “Clearly, that guy is not going to take you to bed” he said, and I rolled my eyes. “Because if he is, he’ll meet you at night”.

Typical guy thing.

PS: Jiyong often meet girls at night but not to easily take them to y time. He’s not just a day person. (He’s like an owl, nocturnal).

“This just mean that he really want to get to know me, deeper and more personal”. My voice sounded too dreamy, giving away my desire to go. He sighed heavily. “What if I’m wrong? That even if he wanted to meet you, sun out, he still wants to get into your pants”. And he cleared his throat, “I know how thrilling this if for you, especially after holding back on dates for a while now, but you know how these online daters work sometimes”. Pause. With a sigh, “Some are really looking for love, while some…”

“Are just looking for ing buddies” I continued for him, “But he seems like a nice person” I countered.

Silence.

Silence.

Silence.

“How about this…” he finally spoke. “You go…”

YES!

“But…”

Ok. What’s next?

“I’ll be your chaperone. Don’t worry, I won’t get in the way. Unless, something not good is about to happen, or is already happening”.

Another best friend perks: You’ll have someone to watch over you in risky times. And, someone to prevent you from falling to deep .

“I swear!” I squealed in excitement. “I super-duper-mega LOVE you Jiyongie!”

Now I can relax and worry less, for I have him with me later.

Right after that, I messaged Joon Hyung with thumbs abnormally shaky.

TO: LEE JOON HYUNG

                Hi! I just woke up and read your message. And, OK, let’s meet up for lunch. Tell me where. Oh! Good Morning, by the way!

Biting my nails, while pacing back and forth in front of my bed. “Reply. Reply. Reply”

DING!

“Oh!” in a swish, I opened the message.

FROM: LEE JOON HYUNG

                Good Morning Areum! Great! I’ll meet you at La Cucina in Itaewon. Do you want me to pick you up at your house?

Areumie dating rule: NO PICK UPS. Anywhere. I’ll go to the meet up place, myself.

Areumie dating tip: Not letting your date (especially on your first meeting), know your address or even work place is safer. They can’t bother you once you decided to cut them off. A phone number is easier to change than an address.

TO LEE JOON HYUNG:

                I’ll see you there!

Three hours. I have three hours to prepare. First, I need to find a nice day dress. Second, I have to match it with a good pair of shoes. Third, I need to look like a human being (you know, I’m partly alien, monster, angel *wink*).

“Too conservative”. I dropped the dress on the fury white carpet.

“Ugh!” I groaned. “Too glittery!” I dropped it and looked at it again. “When did I buy that?” I asked myself and chuckled.

Thirty minutes later….

“Perfecto!”

Composed, I took a nice hot bath, dipping my body in water mixed with chamomile drops. ‘The Glow’ is important (men look for it). My hair is a serious mess. I haven’t been to a salon for seven months now. Not that I do much there, just a blow out and hairstyling (I stopped hair coloring a long time ago). Good thing, my eyebrows are still in good shape.

One and a half hours left and I’m off to my first date in four months. The clock is ticking way too slow. Boo!

“You’re already here!” I greeted Jiyong with a hug. He smirked. “Your hair is dripping wet”. He said, following me to the living room.

I just got out of the bathroom and is still in my bathrobe, barefoot, my hair making puddles on the floor.

Scanning him from head to foot. “You’re on ‘spy mode’”. I said, making him smirk.

Black beanie with a small heart on it. Black round sunglasses. Black mask that covers half his face. Black knitted sweater. Ragged denims. Black studded loafers – Kwon Jiyong is the newest member of the Men in Black (I apologize for my corny joke).

“Have you picked out your ‘drop dead’ date outfit already?” he asked, and I confidently nodded my head.

One of the million perks of having Kwon Jiyong as your best friend is, he knows a good outfit even if you’re not yet wearing it. So, we went to my room where I organized my clothes, neatly spread on the bed.

While checking the dress. “Is this the one we bought in Macau four years ago?”

Wow! What a sharp memory!

“It still fits well” I told him. He snorted. “I actually thought that it’s big on you now since you’re near to being a skeleton already”. I faked a laugh. “Funny”.

As a matter of fact, half of my clothes in the closet are big for me, and only half of the other half are being used.

In my yellow and white floral badot dress, color high heel platform Jimmy Choo, and white laced knuckle purse, I walked out of my room and show the ensemble to Jiyong.

SPEECHLESS! HE IS SPEECHLESS!

“Thumbs up or thumbs down?” I twirled gracefully, like a true lady, while his eyes are scanning me from head to foot and repeat.

After a while, “Up” he answered then gave out a sigh. “How about hair and make-up?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know. You tell me”. He walked closer to me and stared at my face with narrow eyes.

Looking eye to eye, Jiyong’s eyes are really beautiful. I love looking at them. Its hazel brown color suits him very well.

“Neat high ponytail, and since it’s day time, go natural with the make-up and by that I mean no bloody red lipstick”.

The last time we dined out, he was so bothered by my red matte lipstick that I admit, is too flashy. He hand me a good roll of tissue to wipe it off by the minute mark.

And we’re off! Itaewon is only a few minute drive from my place. Also, we know its ins and out, for we grew up there.

“Any expectations?” he asked, eyes on the road. I shook my head. “None”

“Remember, I’m just going to be there” he sounded like a Father, reminding his daughter. “Look at me or call me if you need rescue” he finished with a glance and I just smiled at him.

The plan is, we’re going to enter the restaurant separately. I’m going to head to my date, while he watch from the sidelines. He will step in if needed and drag me out of the restaurant without any words, or if the situation is worst, he will beat the out of Joon Hyung.

“I think that’s him” I whispered, upon seeing a man near the big glass window wearing a navy blue suit jacket, V-neck shirt and slightly tight white pants.

“Nice!” Jiyong muttered. I looked at him in excitement and hugged his arm. He hit my arm. “Don’t fall in love yet”.

In all fairness to Joon Hyung, he really is the man on the profile (there are trolls, you know). Truth is, he looks better than his uploaded photos.

With my heart racing, I entered the restaurant first, leaving Jiyong outside who is smoking.

“Areum!” Joon Hyung called upon seeing me walking in. I waved my hand “Hi!” awkwardly greeting him. He stood up when I reached the table. Eyes glued on me, he extended his hand “I’m Joon Hyung”

One minute mark: Impressive.

Impression: Gentleman.

“I ordered the restaurant’s best dish for us”. His smile is too wide for happiness.

Talk. I need to talk.

“So…” I’m sitting way too tensed. “How are you?” I asked, voice a little cracked. He sighed. “Tired. I wasn’t able to sleep last night thinking about how to ask you out”.

Sick. Typical date move.

“How about you? How are you?” he snapped, and this time, he gave out a boy next-door type of smile. “Tired as well” I replied, a little too formal.

He chuckled. “Why? Is it because you’re thinking of me?”

ENGK! WRONG MOVE!

Not to be rude, I faked a laugh. “No. It’s my late night duty that tired me”.

Brushing it off, we waited for our food while talking about our jobs. Drag is, I only get to talk for less than two minutes because he cuts me off every time, and when I try talking again, he cuts me off again. So, I just listened to him or shall I say, ate until my plate is empty. It took him almost two hours to finish his food, I nearly snatched it from him to get it over with. From his Japan adventures to his favorite hairless cat, Joon Hyung covered most of the time with me shutting off my ears. This date is not at its worst yet, but once it stepped on that stage, I’ll scream for rescue without second thoughts.

“OW!” Joon Hyung jumped up after sipping the rest of his drink. “Did you enjoy the food?” he asked. I pointed at myself. Finally, he’s letting me talk. “Of course!”

If only I can say, Human, just so you know, my friend is the co-owner of this restaurant. Jiyong and I were invited for food tasting eight years ago when they are in the process of changing the menu. What you’re eating is one of the dishes we voted to be added to the list.

“I always go here, especially when I’m craving good food” he shared. Here we go with his endless talking once again.

“Joon!”

We both turned to where the voice is coming from. A girl (definitely younger than me), approached us. She looked at me, stared for a while then smiled at Joon Hyung. “Long time no see!” Her voice is too pitchy for my aging eardrums.

Joon Hyung stood up, walked to her and hugged her. “What’s up?”

And they are talking. While they’re enjoying themselves, making me feel like the third wheel, I texted Jiyong who by the way, is eating our favorite molten lava cake deliciously, just a few tables in front of me.

TO JIYONGIE:

                A girl just showed up. How crazy is that?

He looked up at me then chuckled.

FROM JIYONGIE:

                Nice!

What the F!

TO JIYONGIE:

                What to do?

He better have an idea.

FROM JIYONGIE:

                it up.

For the record, this the very first time a girl showed up on my date. Not only that, they are acting like I’m not around.

*text message*

FROM JIYONGIE:

                HAHAHAHAHA!

Sneaky, I looked at him and raised my middle finger up with a smile.

FROM JIYONGIE:

                HAHAHAHAHA!

Now I’m pissed.

“Oh!” Joon Hyung might’ve felt my boiling blood. “I’m sorry”.

All I can do is fake a smile.

“She’s going now” he said, pointing at the girl.

THANK GOODNESS!

“I have to go as well” he followed, and I’m dumbfounded. He looked at his watch as if in a hurry. “I forgot, I have an after lunch appointment”

Go ahead, make excuses!

“No problem!” I snapped with my most flashing smile. He reached out for my hand and squeezed it. I want to squeeze his too, so hard, his bones will break into pieces. “I swear! I want to be with you more, but I can’t skip an important appointment”.

Yeah. Yeah. Yeah.

“Don’t worry. I understand”. I’m trying my hardest to keep my cool. “Alright” he cheerfully said and ended our date with a hug.

And he’s out, with the girl.

Not wasting a second, Jiyong came to me, settled on the chair where Joon Hyung is seated a while ago. “Why do I feel like I’ve been played?” I burst out. He laughed out loudly. I did too, for I find it really funny. Just imagine, it’s my first date in a long time and I’ve been ditched straight to my face.

“What a date, huh?” he laughed again.

I sighed heavily. “I cannot believe that I didn’t even smell a jerk scent on him! I must say, the whole date is a mess coz he can’t even stop talking about himself!” I raged. “I’m going to let that pass, thinking that maybe that’s his way of introducing himself, but leaving me for another girl as if I’m just one of the hundreds, is foul. Completely and annoyingly, FOUL!”

“Well, that’s how the cookie crumbles” Jiyong teased. I kicked him under the table. “Yah!” he yelled. “That guy is an . Just be thankful that, that is the only thing he did to you. That this early on, you already know you’re up for nothing”.

Great words coming for a great man. If only I can bring back time and be on that freakin’ moment again, I will give Joon Hyung a dose of his own medicine by telling him that he’s a stinking jerk.

Letting me cool down, Jiyong stayed silent, until, “You know your meal’s not paid yet”.

JOON HYUNG IS ! How can he ask a girl out, bring her to an expensive restaurant and zoom off without paying?

“Crap!” I said after my credit card has been swiped.

Jiyong chuckled and pulled me closer to him. “Come here”. He wrapped his arm around my shoulders, “Don’t flare out just because of an epic fail date”. Then he whispered in my ear. “How about, I treat you to unlimited ice cream to make up for it?”

It made me smile, my feeling is so much lighter than before. “Thank you for being here”

                                                                                                ******