...59

The Last Single Girl

 

Today is a very special day for the family, especially to me. Yong, is now one year old and it is bittersweet, because as he adds up age, he’ll be needing me less which means my being a Mother will kick in more just to make him feel my presence. Well, I still have twelve years until he becomes a teen, until then I will do everything to raise him as the kid I wanted him to be.

“I already called the catering service, they are on their way to Monsant now” Dami Unnie is once again the head planner of the party.

We have all agreed to do it at Monsant, Seoul. Its spacious backyard is very ideal for a children’s party, for kids can run around without bumping each other.

Unnie and I decided to have a rundown of the plan. We already did yesterday and the day before, and it seems like we’re not just over it yet. We want this party to be spotless.

Over organic chips and freshly squeezed orange juice, we started…

“This is the layout of the backyard. This tells where the booths and stuff are at” she unrolled it on the table and my jaw dropped upon seeing a well drafted layout in front of me. “I have people at Monsant now who are going to guide everybody through this” she grabbed a pen and pointed at something. “This is where the buffet table is going to be at. Next to it is the dessert table that I’m sure the kids will dive in to, we’ll end up having sugar filled children running around and going crazy for sure” This made me laugh. “The inflatable slide and trampoline that Jiyong insisted to have will be here” she pointed at it, “It needs to be far from the food table as possible or else, we might have kids literally diving on it”. I don’t know what’s up with today that is making Unnie very funny. I’m enjoying it. “The photo booth is here. The face painting booth and sticker tattoo booth is here. Until the very last minute I’m trying to look for a farm that will be willing to let us rent a pony or two, but as of the moment, I cannot find any near the area”

Grand – this is how the family wants the party to be. As much as possible, I want it to be simple, but they convinced me to go all out since it’s Yong’s first birthday. They said that it’s supposed to be big. Kwon Omma actually wanted a traditional first birthday party, serious and less enjoying. Good thing, we were able to talk her out of it.

“The guest list is done. Adults dominate the children but it’s all right. What’s important is we have children for the children’s party” Unnie is really witty today.

Fifty guests are on my list. I invited relatives (of the Kwons), some of my cousins and their children (from my Mother’s side), as well as my colleagues and their families. This is going to be fun!

“Birthday boy’s still sleeping” Omma said, walking out of Yong’s room.

We only have an hour and a half to prepare. Dami Unnie said that we have to be there earlier to check if everything is going well as planned.

“Let’s get ready now and we’ll wake him up after” Unnie said.

I sighed. “I’m crossing my fingers, hoping that he’s in a good mood or else…we’ll have a cranky birthday boy”

Yong is just like any other kid out there. He throws a fit in bad days and will be as bright as the sun in good days. Nevertheless, he’s awesome.

It took me fifteen minutes to get him dressed. Not like what I hoped for, he woke up wailing. He doesn’t want to be held by others than me. The family’s not offended at all, for they know it’s the way he works sometimes. If it weren’t for the balloon that Kwon Appa inflated, he wouldn’t calm down.

“That baggy pants looks so cute on him” Unnie said upon seeing us walking out of my room. Yong is walking, still with my help. He can’t do it on his own yet, though he can stand, which is common to children his age.

Kwon Appa and Omma rushed to the living room from the dining to take a look. “Aigoo. He’s taller and more handsome” Omma said and all of a sudden, Yong giggled.

“He likes the compliment!” Appa said, making Yong squeal, this time.

My son’s ‘OOTD’ was picked by me. I really made sure that he’ll look good in it. The clothes may not be as expensive as the ones he usually wear on special occasions, but I thought and bought them with love.

“We’re here!” Appa pulled up at Monsant and I felt butterflies in my stomach. I can say that I’m more excited for this party than the birthday boy, himself. Actually, I don’t know if he’s aware of what’s going on. Maybe once he sees his cake, he will think that we’re celebrating something, like the times when there’s really no occasion, I just tripped on buying a cake to eat as a midnight snack and he thought we’re celebrating.

The place looks really fun. Colors are everywhere. Yong’s pictures are hanging on the tress, bringing back so much memories while I’m looking at each one of them. Our first picture together with Jiyong is at the center, Yong is still a few minutes old in it.

“Beautiful!” is all I can say. I’m getting teary eyed just by looking around.

Dami Unnie and I get into checking after a while. I cannot help but to get some candies from the dessert table. Oh, heaven!

“We need these balloons tied behind every chair” she instructed and handed me a good number of balloons that made me feel like I’m in the movie, UP.

“Unnie! I need more balloons here!” I called out “The metallic blue ones!”

“Here”

OH!

“Jiyong?”

Crazy, but I think my eyes are fooling me.

“Yes?” he smiled, while I battle with myself if I’m seeing real or my imagination is just going wild.

“Jiyong?” this time, I decided to touch him. If he’s not real, he will surely disappear like bubble. “You didn’t pop!” I gripped both his arms and gave it a light squeeze. “You’re darn real!” and didn’t hold back in hugging him.

At this moment, I don’t care about our issues. I haven’t seen him for months and God knows how much I missed him.

“Aigoo” he hugged me back tightly, smelling my hair and even kissing my shoulder. It feels really good.

Pulling out, “You’re here!” I squealed and he laughed.

Nodding, “Yes, I am!”

This party is already complete even before it begins. The whole family is here, this celebration is more special.

Still in disbelief, I continued tying balloons while Jiyong plays with Yong who screamed his lungs out upon seeing him. My son is obviously thrilled to see his ‘Appa’. It’s such a good sight.

“He wants to try the trampoline” Jiyong came to me, while carrying Yong like he’s Superman.

Without second thoughts, “No” I said firmly.

He rolled his eyes, “I’ll just put him on it. Maybe make him jump a little so that he can experience it”

Why is this man so pushy? I haven’t had this for some time.

“That’s nuts Jiyong” I stayed firm. “That trampoline is for kids, yes, but Yong is still too young and too small for it. He will get the chance to experience it in a few years, not now”

Sad, the two went for a sticker tattoo instead. I don’t know what Jiyong is going to put on Yong, but I have a feeling that it’s going to be big, scrubbing it off him will definitely be a challenge.

The party is a big hit. Every activity made the children and young at heart very happy and entertained. There was even a magic show. Dami Unnie was able to book last minute in exchange of the ponies. Yong suddenly cried when the magician turned Jiyong into a rabbit.

“Aigoo” I tried getting him from Jiyong but he doesn’t want to come to me.

“Yaa…why are you crying?” Jiyong asked him.

My son didn’t budge. He even cried harder, making me and Jiyong look at each other.

“I think he got scared because you disappeared and turned into a bunny all of a sudden” I told him, and it made him smile sweetly.

Facing Yong to him, “Little man, Appa is not going anywhere. Look, I’m even holding you now” he told him, but instead of being comforted, he cried louder.

Thinking of it, Yong is much closer to Jiyong than me. I can’t blame him though, for the man he sees as a Father has been with him from day one and has never left his side until two months ago.

“Where’s Yong?” I asked Dr. Nam who is enjoying the dessert table. She is devouring a huge lollipop.

She looked around, “There!” then pointed near the trampoline.

My nerves shoot up upon seeing Dr. Miller shaking hands with Jiyong who is still carrying Yong (they are totally inseparable). It looks like Dr. Miller just arrived.

Anxious, I went to them. “You came!” I told Dr. Miller.

He chuckled. “I went here right after my shift”

Jiyong cleared his throat. “I was telling him that he doesn’t look like he pulled out an all-nighter, unlike you who is a soul-less creature after a night shift”

Something changed and I’m telling you, it is a good change. The boys are talking as if they’ve known each other forever. Jiyong is not giving Dr. Miller a cold treatment. It’s like all of a sudden, they built a friendship on a different level.

The three of us chatted comfortably, tension and awkwardness, gone. The boys are ganging up on me, teasing me non-stop. This made me thankful that I only have one guy best friend. If I happen to have two, I’ll be drained from all the bullying.

“Yong really wants to try the trampoline. He keeps pointing at it” Jiyong told Dr. Miller “Areumie just doesn’t like it”

Dr. Miller looked at me as if I did something wrong. “You should let him experience things. His curiosity is surely eating him up”

Seriously, these guys don’t understand. My son is only a year old. He’s still a baby (a toddler, actually). The trampoline is for kids who can balance and control themselves well. Yong might fly out once a bigger kid jumps on it.

“No” I firmly said and even tried getting Yong from Jiyong again, but he still doesn’t want to come to me.

“You only live once” Jiyong said and next thing I know it, he and Yong are already on the trampoline.

My blood is boiling. My nerves are all up. My heart is racing. My head is spinning. This is driving me insane!

“He’s safe, don’t worry” Dr. Miller said with assurance.

I looked at my son and saw him laughing hard. “But…”

Dr. Miller pulled me away, his arm around my shoulders. “GD won’t let anything bad happen to him”

Well that, I’m sure of. I trust Jiyong, of course, but I cannot help not to worry. I’m a Mother, and I’m naturally paranoid when it comes to my child.

The moment of the career choosing came. We have laid out four things to choose. From a ball, a stethoscope, a microphone, and a lawyer’s hammer. Whichever he chooses is fine with me, but I’m hoping he grab the stethoscope.

“This is exciting” Jiyong and I are behind Yong who is sitting on a long table with the things in front of him.

I looked at him and smiled. “I’ll be surprised if he’s going to pick the ball”

“Why is that?” he asked.

“He just doesn’t look like he’s going to be a baller”

Jiyong bowed down his head and laughed. “Yong probably wouldn’t because he doesn’t have anyone who knows sports well. Neither of us have a sport we’re good at. Omma and Appa are good in sprint walking though, while Noona tried playing some but didn’t really engage in even one of them”

Makes sense. But still, there is a possibility Yong might be interested in sports once he’s old enough to appreciate it. I don’t mind having a basketball player.

“Oh gosh….oh gosh” I’m biting my lips. My blood is pumping while watching Yong run his little hands on the things in front of him. “Omo!” I gasped when he snatched the microphone.

Jiyong looked at me in disbelief. “See that?” He is obviously pleased.

I rolled my eyes and chuckled. “Start writing songs for him as early as now, so that once he decides to do an album, he wouldn’t have a hard time. Just make sure that you’ll give him love songs more than heart break songs”

He laughed. “I’ll be managing him. Don’t worry, I won’t over work him”, then he winked.

Actually, it’s not surprising that Yong chose a microphone. 1. He has the blood of a musician in his system (that his biological Father passed to him). 2. He’s been surrounded by music geniuses at an early age (make YG your hangout place from time to time). 3. He’s very close to a music legend that happened to be his Father figure who loves him very much. Yes, it would’ve been nice if he chooses the stethoscope, but who knows? I can lure him to my field someday.

Before the party come to an end, the emcee, called me on stage to give a short speech and a message to Yong.

“First of all…” I feel nervous. My stage fright is kicking in. “I want to call Jiyong to be here with me”

Surprised, he went up the stage, still with Yong.

And I started…

“One year ago, I was given the most challenging job ever. That is, to be a Mother. Yong came unexpectedly. I was not prepared for him at all, but I know that there’s no conditioning or training to be a Mother. I can say that I’m growing up together with him. I’ve learned things I cannot get in books. I’ve felt extreme emotions that not even romantic love can make me feel. He’s a blessing, a wonderful one, and I love every minute of being his Mother”. At this point, I began crying. Jiyong wrapped an arm around my waist for comfort. “Raising him alone would be nearly impossible. I thank the Kwon family who is always there for us, taking care of us, and loving us unconditionally”, then I looked at Jiyong. “And thank you, Jiyong, for giving Yong a Father. I know it is hard for you as well because there’s always so much to do that is not supposed to be your responsibility. But, you do them anyway. Yong and I will always be grateful to you”. Holding my son’s hand, “And to you baby boy, all I wish is for you to grow up to be the person everyone will love. I know you’ll have ups and downs, and you’ll even go through hardships that are so far from expected, but always know that we’re here for you. I love you”, and I kissed him on the cheek that made him laugh.

“Your turn” I gave Jiyong the microphone and he started tearing up even before starting to talk.

“When Areumie is pregnant with Yong, I know that things will be hard for her. That’s why I didn’t think twice and take responsibility even when she doesn’t want to. I’ve loved Yong even before he came out of this world. I was there when he take his first breath on Earth. I held him when he’s only about a minute old. He’s really beautiful. I’m not his Father biologically, but in my heart he’s my son. That’s why, no matter what happens, I’ll always be there. He may meet his real Father someday and love him more than he loves me, but my love for him will never lessen, NEVER” Jiyong is being too emotional, that I’m sure even the family didn’t expect it. Looking at Yong, “Yaaa…little man…can you see this? Appa is crying to think that I’m only giving a message to you”. Naturally, I wiped his tears and rubbed his back. “Aside from your Omma, you’re the only person I loved this hard. I wish for you to be good to her. You can go bad to me, I can handle that, but don’t ever rebel to her. I got your back whenever you want to try the trampoline again. I will make you ride a rollercoaster over and over again when you’re old enough to sit still. I will take care of your music career for as long as I can if you really happen to want to be a singer. Appa got your back, Little Man. I love you”

Woah! What a speech! I was breathless through half of it.

The party ended with every guest, young and old, leaving with big smiles on their faces. The kids, just like what Dami Unnie said, left with sugar rush. Their faces are all creatively painted and they also have sticker tattoos all over their arms. I feel bad for their parents because it’s going to be too much to handle.

For us, we stayed a little bit to enjoy more.

“Yah!” I yelled at Jiyong after putting so much sticker tattoos on Yong’s arms. “That’ll be so hard to rub off!”

He stick his tongue out and took a picture of Yong. “You’re now like Appa!” he told him, making my son shriek.

“Come, let’s try the slide and trampoline” Dami Unnie dragged me even before I can protest.

I must admit, it’s fun being on a trampoline. I’ve only tried it once and never again after my Appa got scared that I might fly off it. No wonder Yong loves it very much.

“Mehrong!” Jiyong stick out his tongue and Yong imitated.

We are at the photo booth, having our pictures taken for I don’t know how long already.

“Show your tattoos” he instructed and Yong followed like an obedient dog. “Aigoo” then Jiyong looked at me, “Omma doesn’t have any” and he playfully pushed me away “You’re not one of us” he said and laughed hard.

To be ‘one of them’, I also got a sticker tattoo on my arm. It’s a heart with cute butterflies around it.

“We’re done!” Jiyong said when I was just about to reach them.

“Yah!” I yelled “I got a tattoo for nothing?” Annoyed, I pulled him back in front of the camera. “Let’s show our tattoos” I demanded and they both do it.

Being in a children’s party will really make you feel like a child too. The family enjoyed every activity at its max, even Omma and Appa have face paints and tattoos. Yong is now filled with tattoos, his legs have one each too. As for me, I have a tiger face paint, while Dami Unnie have a huge flower on her right cheek. Jiyong’s is the most interesting, for he let Yong do the painting. What do you expect? His face is now as abstract as it can be.

“Yah!” Dami Unnie nudged Jiyong. The three of us are sitting together at the far back of the van, with Omma and Yong beside each other and Appa, driving.

“You should’ve told us that you’re going home” she told him.

He smirked. “Then it wouldn’t be a surprise anymore”

“Still, it would’ve been nice if you were able to take part of the party planning” Unnie countered.

“And what? Be bossed around by you? NO WAY!” Jiyong fired back.

These two, they can really make a small thing, big. Whenever they bicker, I’m so entertained because by the end of it all, they’ll be laughing their asses out or sometimes, be in a huge fight that will take a few days to a week to end.

Up until now, I still cannot believe that Jiyong went home just for Yong’s birthday when a week ago, he already said that he can’t. I don’t know what happened, but maybe he was able to talk Lena out to permit him to go home.

“We’re here!”

For the very first time, Kwon Jiyong is going to set foot on my new apartment. I’m sure he’ll be surprised that I got a big unit when I’m not into it before.

“I’ll put Yong to bed” Omma said and headed to Yong’s room.

Jiyong is looking around, meticulously eyeing everything.

“I knew this unit would be perfect” he told Dami Unnie who has been tailing him around.

She nodded. “The first unit you found is not as spacious as this”

Wait. What’s going on?

“They were able to remove the dry wall, splitting the kitchen and dining, and made it into one room. Nice!” he continued looking around.

“Also, they were able to turn one room into a walk-in closet and had Areumie’s and Yong’s rooms connected, just like what you wanted” Unnie said.

My head is bloating by so many thoughts. I don’t get what Jiyong and Unnie are talking about.

“Guys” I butted in “What’s going on?”

They looked at each other, I saw Jiyong nod at Unnie.

“We have something to confess” she said and I narrowed my eyes at the two of them.

I take a breath. “Spill it”

“Jiyongie found this place for you”

The moment she said that, my mind is knotting.

“After knowing your plan of moving out, I immediately called my realtor to look for a good residential unit away from your old apartment, away from mine, and near the hospital” Jiyong stated, “After a few days, there were two units presented to me. I didn’t like them, so I asked Noona to help. She then found this building. Fortunately, a unit is for sale. I checked it out and bought it the same day”

INSANE!

“But, I have a few issues about the floor plan. So, after the paper works, I contacted my contractor to change it into my liking, hoping that you’ll like it too. I told Unnie about everything and asked her to recommend this place to you and if possible, convince you to buy it, which you did”

CRAZY!

“To make things simpler, I bought this unit from you” I pointed at him and he nodded with a wide smile on his face.

“I really lowered the price for you to save a lot. This unit isn’t even listed on the market. It’s only you who can buy it” Jiyong said, making my jaw drop.

Dami Unnie placed her hand on my shoulder. “As a matter of fact, the money you gave is in Yong’s savings account, that Jiyong asked me to make”

“It’s too much!” I countered.

Jiyong looked at me softly, “It’s my birthday gift to Yong, both this apartment and the savings account”, then he tapped my nose, “This is also your reward for being the best Omma to him for one year now”

Without hesitation, I hugged him tightly, “Thank you Jiyongie!”

He hugged me back. “No problem! Anything for you” he whispered in my ear.

                                              ****