With love, Seungwan

Born to Love, Cursed to Feel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Title: With love, Seungwan

Type: One-shot

Genre: Family, Slice of life

-

 

Son Seungwan was beautiful, soft wisps of hair and wrinkled skin eyes screwed shut.

She was also born a month premature.

So small that she could fit in the palm of her nineteen year old sister, Joohyun.


Son Joohyun cried for her baby sister who was finally here and at the moment, safe; and she cried for their dearest mother who couldn't make it through the birth.

Heartbroken, Joohyun basically lived in the hospital, eagerly awaiting for the day that she could take Seungwan home. Months passed then several more followed.

Tests and medicines and beeping machines and hushed conversations with pitying looks thrown her way, and soon, she was sick of that place yet she refused to leave. She couldn't, not when her baby sister was still there with only her to support her.

In the end, she stayed, ignoring the looks and words of doubt, choosing instead to cheer Seungwan on.

They took it day by day because each one was a miracle.


Finally after what seemed like endless examinations and treatments, she got the permission to take Seungwan home.

Home.

For so long, Joohyun considered the hospital her home that the existence of another place to return felt strange.

After so much waiting, she suddenly wasn't sure she wanted to go there. There would be memories and an emptiness that her dearest mother could no longer fill.

How could she bring the precious baby girl to the nursery that they once stood in, excitedly decorating and talking and filling the air with as much joy as they could muster?

Joohyun couldn't, but she had to.


Hospital bills, funeral bills and daily life bills prevented moving from even being an option. So Joohyun shoved her grief to the background, allowing it to come out only when she is alone. In the meantime, she would smile for the tiny baby in her arms and raise her with enough love as if she is a mother more than a sister.

Life wasn't always that simple though, and sometimes smiles couldn't be formed and tears couldn't be held back.

 

* * *

 

When Seungwan turned seven, her sister recieved the worst news she could ever imagine.

Cancer.

Seungwan has never been a healthy child, always in and out of the hospital.

Cancer.

No cure.

Ten percent survival rate.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter