To the girl in the back of the classroom

Born to Love, Cursed to Feel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Title: To the girl in the back of the classroom

Type: Drabble

Genre: Poetic, Slice of life (?)

-


To Bae Joohyun: the girl in the back of the classroom.

I have seen you before, you know.

In the depths of my head.

In my imaginations. 

I only had clouds, trees and sand in my face to keep me company, but you were a constant.

I never felt alone with those little make-believe friends that I built out of self-loathing and depression. 


I was burying myself in books, hiding so that I could escape my own mind, and perhaps take you (with me). 

You were hunched over in the back of the class, states away, humming songs and lullabies that drowned out the other kids’ taunts.

Trying to squeeze your mind shut from every bullet launched in your direction, and I know how those wounds ache, and how you try to drown yourself so that other people don’t have the opportunity to worry about you because that’s our job, isn’t it?

To help others, because we can’t help ourselves, and perhaps that’s why you stayed inside, so you could build a world away from all that healing up your heart with electronics.

And maybe you were building me up in your mind, too. 

(I’ve always been designing you in mine).


You are my parallel. 

We understand each other in ways no one else has before, and I’m always trying to explain myself to other people about who I am

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter