Forever

Mail Order Leo

 

“Aren't you cold?!” You called out to him, feeling a little shiver as the cool ocean water began to chill you. Leo grinned and stumbled through the water towards you, coming into the shallows before grabbing you around the waist. He picked you up without preamble, spinning around in the sun and sending water flying out in all directions around you. You let out a joyous screech, clinging to his shoulders for dear life as you continued to fly.

“Let me down!” You cried, but Leo only pulled you closer and kissed you quickly as he slowed. Your feet trailed through the water a few times before you stood on your own, but you quickly took his arm to stave off the bout of dizziness. Leo quietly snickered.

“Ya!” You yelled, breaking away from him and kicking into the water, sending a large spray across his body. He tried to block himself but it did nothing, soaking him more than he already was. You were running before he had even lowered his arms, knowing that revenge would quickly be coming. You sprinted through the shallows back onto the hot sand, rushing to find the umbrella as a large splash missed you my inches and wet only the back of your legs.

“Too slow!” You called, running up the beach and grabbing the umbrella, opening it and positioning it like a shield between you as he followed on your heels. You couldn't stop giggling. He was grinning in a way that, you were rather certain, was spelling out your death, and you took a step back with the umbrella. Leo wouldn't have it; he swatted it to the side, knocking it from your hands and leaving you defenseless.

“Wah, I'm sorry, I promise I won't do it agai--” You voice broke in a high pitched squeal as he gathered you in his arms and threw you over his shoulder, turning straight around to head back to the water. You continued to beg, works broken by hysterical laughter. “Leo-- I promise I won't-- It's just water--”

He walked straight into the shallows without stopping or hesitating, and you let out a little screech, winding your arms and legs around his torso in desperation. “Think about it Leo you don't really want to do this--” As the water came up over his knees and almost to his waist, he began to try to pry you off, resorting to tickling when you wouldn't budge an each.

“Cheating! Cheating!” You screamed as you flew off of him and into the sea, choking on water and laughter.

When you finally stopped the war and settled on the beach, the sun was already beginning to lower in the sky. You spread out on the blanket and settled onto it happily, wringing your hair out onto the sand next to you. Leo sat next to you with a towel wrapped around his waist, leaning on his hands as he looked out into the sea. You were happy. It bloomed in your chest, an emotion so strong it forced expression and you smiled despite yourself. Leo glanced over to you and reached out with a hand before closing his eyes. You rest your palm over his and he quickly entwines his fingers in yours. You doze in the warmth, digging your feet into the warm sand.

You though Leo was going to doze, too, but only moments later you heard him rustling around, pulling on your hand occasionally. You peeked an eye open to find him digging through the goddamn beach bag again, trying not to jerk on your arm or disturb you but failing miserably. You watched him for a few seconds, his shoulders rising with anxiety as he couldn't find what he was looking for with his single hand. All of the sudden he let out a sharp exhale and his shoulders dropped. You raised an eyebrow.

“Leo... what are you doing.”

He froze, staying absolutely. You could almost see his mind working to come up with an excuse as he turned back around. You let go of his hand and stood, brushing a little sand off your knees.

“Well I think I should get some sunscreen, let me check for it in the beach bag--”

No!”

Leo immediately took the bait, standing with amazing speed to block your progress. His eyes widened as you put your hands on your hips and he realized that he had just given himself away. It was kind of adorable, actually, seeing him that flustered.

“Are you going to tell me what this is all about, Leo?”

Leo sighed, apparently giving up. He glanced over your shoulder to the sea behind you, where the sun was just about to set and the water reflected the red and orange hues. He stepped forward and wrapped his arms around you, holding you in a loose embrace.

“I didn't know what I was going to find when I fell out of that box. I didn't know what love was. I didn't know it could be powerful. I didn't know it could hurt. You taught me those things.” His voice was quiet in your ear, just barely loud enough to hear over the crashing waves; they weren't words for the world, they were for you alone. “I was a machine until you woke me up. You made me a person. I can never repay you for that. All I can do is tell you over and over one thing, and hope it will mean something to you.”

You were utterly flustered, cheeks rushing pink. He pulled away, hands on your shoulders.

“I love you. More than anything. To me, you're... beyond words. You're my starlight, always there and always glowing.”

He smiled at you, one of those smiles that was so true and so genuine that it choked you up with feeling you didn't quite understand. He was blushing, just a small amount, but you would remember the color forever. It matched the sun setting behind you, the pink and red colors of love and passion and promise. He moved back a step further and lowered to one knee, reaching into the pocket of his trunks to pull out a small velvet box.

“I don't know if its legal for you to marry me but... would you let me stay with you, forever?”

You were on the brink of tears, hands over your face as you tried to contain yourself and he watched you anxiously. You realized that he wanted and actual answer and began nodding frantically.

"Yes," You choked between tears as Leo stood and slid the ring onto your finger, kissing you gently. Somehow, it felt like the very first time, but you were certain now that it wouldn't be the last.