Dear Diary

Mail Order Leo

That night you tried to go back to your usual evening routine. You were beginning to wonder what you were thinking when you ordered Leo; you weren't outgoing enough to just jump him, after all, and you couldn't just accept him as a boyfriend just like that. It became more and more clear as the evening wore on that it was a mistake. He would come up behind you while you were reading and hug you from behind over the top of the chair, or place a gentle kiss on your forehead when he walked past you. You had no idea what he was doing to keep himself occupied, either.

The TV was blaring useless chatter when that question finally piqued your curiosity enough for you to search out an answered. It was past ten; what in the world was he doing? Leaving the couch behind, you walked over towards were he was sitting on the floor next to a short book shelf you had. You didn't really look it over often, anything you wanted to read you kept in your room. You crept over slowly, not wanting to alert him to your interest. Channeling your inner creeping three year old, you leaned over his shoulder to see what he was doing.

He was flipping pages so quickly and silently that you didn't even realize what he was reading until he closed the book and reached for the next one on the shelf.

YA!” You screeched, leaning over him to grab the books from his hands. Feet nearly in the air from the angle, you ripped your journals from him fingers. Granted, they were from middle school, but you still didn't appreciate his interest. You pulled them to you and tried to go back over his shoulder, but he grabbed you around the waist before you could escape. You let your barrage of words fly as he stood, carrying you with him over his shoulder.

“Ya! Leo! Put me down! Why are you reading these?! These are private didn't they teach you not to go into your- your- your girlfriend's personal belong- wah!

He plopped you down on the couch, leaning over you so you couldn't escape. The books fell out of your hands to thud across the floor as he moved closer to you, an arm leaned on either side of your head. His expression was empty but his eyes were dark, far more human than you ever could have expected.

“Is that what you are?” He whispered, his voice going straight through you. “My girlfriend?”

You blinked in shock as panic rose in your chest. It never occurred to you, somehow, that Leo might become dangerous.

“L-let go, Leo!” You cried, pushing against his unmoving form as you search for escape, cheeks burning hot. You felt your breath come in short gasps. “Leo! Get off!”

He jumped away after your final screech, his own expression seeming to reflect your surprise. You curled up on the corner of the couch as your heartbeat began to slow. Leo gave you a second to recuperate before coming back to you, opening his arms to draw you into an embrace; this time his grasp was gentle.

“I'm sorry I startled you,” he murmured soothingly as you leaned against him. “I wanted to know about you, that was why I was looking through the journals. I'm your boyfriend after all. I went through your baby pictures earlier...”

Your head shot up. “You went through the baby pictures?” Your earlier panic receded as a new one took its place; you shoved him away, jumping over the back of the couch to to get back to the bookshelf. “When the hell did you do that?”

He paused for a moment before responding, knowing he was treading on thin ice. He stood slowly.

“...When you were in the bathroom.”

“Are you kidding me?”

You looked at him, waiting for an excuse of some sort. The only response you got was a slowly growing smile.

“Too cute,” he murmured, hardly loud enough for you to hear. You cleared your throat.

“I'm going out,” you said as you turned away to hide your expression and reaction to his flattery.

He followed behind like a confused puppy as you gathered your purse and coat.

“It's late now, you shouldn't go out alone--”

“I've lived alone for a long time before you,” you responded. “I'll be fine. Stay here, don't leave. Understand?”

He was silent as you put on your shoes until you stood again. “Boyfriends aren't supposed to do that.”

You pulled open the door. “Mine is. I'll be back later. Remember, stay here.” You slammed it shut.