Bruises

Mail Order Leo

"It did," you said, knowing Leo would immediately see through any lie you attempted. He stiffened a nearly imperceptible amount. "But it was all worth it to see you waiting at that door, you know." You couldn't help but chuckle; that, too, was true. You had kind of enjoyed getting to see a different side of Leo. "I'm just tired, it's nothing major. I'm fine as long as you're here with me." The last part was half a joke, thought it might have been the biggest truth yet. Leo pulled away from you with a sigh, shoulders relaxing.


"I was happy to see you there too," he said, voice gaining back a little of its usual strength. He swept a loose strand of hair behind your ear. "You were so pale though. What if something worse had happened?"


You pressed your forehead against his. If something worse happened, you would have to be stronger on your own, so Leo wouldn't have to worry. You said nothing, just sat there and let also feel your presence and your beating heart for a few moments. Eventually he let out a soft sigh.


"Alright, let's finish getting you cleaned up so we can go to sleep." He lowered you to the ground, letting your toes touch and you find your balance before releasing you completely. "Let's sit on the couch." He guided you with a hand on your elbow to a plush corner and sat you there, immediately finding a blanket to wrap around your shoulders. "You can fall asleep if you want," he offered as he knelt down in front of you with hands ghosting over your legs. You were certainly bruised, it appeared, but it was nothing terrible; Leo wouldn't have much to do on that one. Content, you closed your eyes, feeling Leo's gentle attentions as he found some salve for your bruised. He worked it in carefully, massaging your calf and knee and the lower part of the thigh. You let out a little happy sound as thanks when you began to doze completely.


You heard Leo go to wash his hands, but didn't bother to move; it had to be well into the morning and you would have to get up in a few more hours to go to work. You had to show your face there, at least. If you slept on the couch for a power nap you didn't particularly mind. But of course, Leo wouldn't have that; when he came back into the room to find you asleep on the couch he leaned over and pressed a protective kiss to your forehead, a ward of his own making. You squirmed as you took the sensation into a pleasant dream while Leo scooped you into his arms, blanket and all. Careful of your legs, he moved you onto your bed and settled the blankets around you. He followed close behind, laying down and pulling you against his chest. One hand twirled the end of a lock of your hair; he didn't sleep.
 

* * *

You woke up to a blaring, unhappy alarm about three hours later. Your eyes were glued shut, and when you tried to move to turn it off and let Leo sleep a host of bruised and stiff muscles screamed out in denial. Before you could get far enough to reach it, Leo gently pushed you back into the pillow and reached over you to turn it off himself. You blinked up at him in the darkness, startled.

“L-Leo, it's okay, you can go back to sleep.” You voice was thick, sleep slurring your words. You definitely shouldn't be awake yet. You began to get up and move regardless, pushing back the blankets and then re-tucking them around Leo. You couldn't tell given how dark the room was, but you thought he was watching you. You grabbed clothes out of the dresser quickly and headed to the bathroom to change.

“Can't you sleep some more? You need it.”

Leo's voice was nearly too soft to hear; you paused with a hand on the doorknob. “I need to at least show my face,” you responded. “I'll try to come back early though.” He probably was feeling concerned, and besides, you could really use a nap. Your eyes were burning already from being open and you hadn't even a light. Leo sat up in the blankets, pushing them down around his waist

“Call before you leave; I'll come pick you up.”

“Huh?” Startled, you tried to see his face more clearly in the minimal light. Was he serious? Actually, now that you thought about it... “Wait a minute, how did you even know where I work?” He had never been there before, at least not before yesterday.

“I looked it up, I needed to find you... Are you sure you have to go?”

You rolled your eyes. “Yes, Leo, I'm sure I have to go. Go back to sleep, I'll see you later.”

You went into the hallway and closed the door before he could protest, biting your lip to keep a grin from blooming on your face.. He wanted to meet you after work... and walk you home? How cute could he get? You stretched your arms above your head, reinvigorated for the day. Leo was going to walk you home.

There was a sizable amount of gossip at work about the elevator; everyone was wondering what had happened, but no one had a clue. You didn't own up to it; you hardly had the energy to do your work, not to mention deal with all the drama that came with admitting you had hauled yourself out of a broken elevator in the middle of the night. Given the state of your hands, though, a few of the people working around gave you second glances, especially if they knew you had stayed late. When you asked your boss to let you out early, he agreed without any debate, which was exceedingly suspicious. Trying not to jinx it, you worked dutifully until you heard your phone beep from your pocket (where it now permanently resided).

You pulled it out and had to contain your little thrill at finding a text from Leo waiting.

How are you feeling? It read.

“So much better now,” you mumbled to yourself.