Movie Night (Again)

Mail Order Leo

“You probably should,” he agreed after a moment. “It would be polite. He did help you after all.”

“Mhh,” you mumbled, looking over the card again. You were aware of Leo's eyes on you, and put the card on the counter. You wouldn't call him tonight anyway.

“I want to watch a movie.”

Leo looked startled at this sudden declaration, but his face momentarily softened to a content smile. “You pick it out, and I'll make popcorn?” He said, and you nodded in agreement. Happily, you went to choose something to watch. At the prospect of spending time together Leo seemed a little more content, and you were too. The date seemed like a million years ago; the first time you had met Leo, the day you had names him, was forever ago.

You shuffled through the movie options as you thought. His name was meant to be Leo though, no question about that; it just suited him so well. He was like a lion, or a... you grinned a bit evilly as the thought struck you; yes, you knew exactly what you would be doing tonight. You popped in the movie and let it play to the menu as you snuck back to your room. “Leo I'm putting on fresh pajamas,” you called as you closed the door. “The movie's playing, I'll be right back.” You didn't want to question the pajamas in the first place.

“Okay,” he called, listening intently on the popping of the kernels. With a smirk, you let the door click shut.

You swiftly changed, but that was hardly important; instead you began to rip your room apart, looking for the treasure that had gotten thrown in some crevice over the last few days. You finally found it just in time, as Leo knocked on your door.

“Are you ready? The popcorn is done. Do you need help?”

“Leo,” you said as you pulled open the door, “I was just changing I don't need help... though... that might have already happened but-” you cut him off as he started trying to explain. “You can pay be back by wearing this.” From behind your back you took the cat onesie and stuffed it in his hands. In the moment it took him to recognize what it was you had spun him around so he was in the bedroom doorway.

“Wai- but I didn't--”

“Put that on!” You said excitedly, and pulled the door closed. You hung on the doorknob for a second, making sure that he wouldn't escape, and then scrambled to the couch. You grabbed the bowl of popcorn on the way from the counter and a blanket, muting the movie in preparation of the real show that was about to start. You munched on a few pieces happily while you waited.

“Oh Leo,” you finally called, unable to wait anymore, “Do you need help with the zipper?”

There was silence for a moment. You put down the popcorn.

“...Yes.”

It was his quiet, embarrassed voice. You stuffed a hand over mouth to keep from happily giggling.

He rounded the corner into the living room a moment later, a pout on his face that was just barely noticeable despite his attempts to hide it. The cat onesie was indeed on, or at least an attempt at it. The zipper in the front was stuck, leaving both of his shoulders mostly bare and a good portion on his chest. Your laughter died at the unintentionally provocative sight, settling into your throat and forcing you to quietly cough. You moved forward slowly to where he held onto the stuck zipper, biting your lip as you moved his hands out of the way.

“Here, let me.”

His hands dropped to his sides to make room for you; he looked away, but you most certainly weren’t. You couldn’t help but think of his first appearance, the first time he had appeared in your home. The box was still sitting in the entryway.

The zipper was stuck, surely. You pulled on it a few times, trying to focus on your task, but it wouldn’t come. You tried one more time, and on a particularly strong pull it came up, the force pulling it all the way up to his chin. In surprise you fell against him, losing you footing. Leo stumbled backwards a step and grabbed you around the waist, stabilizing you both.

“I got it,” you mumbled, pushing away to stand on your own. “Just one final touch…” On a whim, you reached behind him, going onto your toes, and flicked up the small hood, watching the pink cat ears settle on his head. “And now you look absolutely ador-”

You were cut off as Leo grabbed your hands before you could pull them away, leaning forward to kiss you quickly before letting fall back into you feet.

“That’s payment,” he whispered, moving to walk past you, “for wearing this.” He paused for a moment before continuing past to the couch.

“Oh, I like this movie.”

You turned to him in surprise, gathering yourself. “You, um, saw this one already?”

He settled and patted the space next to him on the couch, which you took happily, albeit confusedly. You grabbed the popcorn on the way.

“I’ve seen all the ones you have. You’ve been spending a lot of time at work recently.”

“No more than usual,” you responded as his arm came around your shoulder, but as you realized that was true, you wondered if that was something you should reconsider. It was kind of like getting a pet. You should actually spend some time with him. And Leo, certainly, was not a pet; he was a much bigger handful than that.

Leo didn’t say anything; he simply clicked on the movie and let it roll. You thought back to the last time you had been here watching a movie; Leo had dried your hair at his own insistence, his fingers pulling through your tangles. Part of you wished you had taken more advantage of that when you had the opportunity.

You got into the movie then; it was one of your favorites. About halfway through, a weight on your shoulder caused you to turn in confusion.