Unanswered Questions

Mail Order Leo

You snapped yourself out of it, looking back and forth between the two as Leo trailed off. If you weren’t so shocked, you would have been cursing like a sailor. What the hell had just happened?

“…Leo,” you finally asked after the silence had stretched on, “did he just kiss you?”

Leo shifted uncomfortably and N looked at the floor while rubbing the shoulder that hit the door. It would have a nasty bruise tomorrow. “Well… Yes.”

“And N,” you turned your attention to him. “Why in the world are you kissing my boyfriend?”

There. You said it. And you felt a surge of confidence with it; Leo was your boyfriend, a decision made mutually. He would stick by you and you knew well enough that he hadn’t wanted to be kissed just then.

“…” N said nothing, just avoided looking at you and continued to massage his shoulder. You furrowed your brow as you looked at him, noticing something on his neck.

No way, you though, pulling back immediately. That didn’t make any sense. You turned away, more confused than ever.

“Come in, then,” you said, exasperated. “You can’t leave after that. Come sit. Leo was just cooking… Though I suppose that has to wait now.”

N wasn’t smiling as he rose to follow you and Leo as you headed to the kitchen, and that disturbed you. You had never seen N without a happy grin on his face. You sat down at the empty table and pointed to two chairs across from you; Leo sat across on the left and N on the right. Both sensed that you were serious enough to be listened to. Now wasn’t a time for games.

You let the silence sit for a moment, letting the two men across from you get anxious as you collected your thoughts. Where were you supposed to say?

“I guess,” you finally said, “that we should just start at the beginning.” Your voice came out quieter than you intended and you weren’t happy about it. You turned to N. “Let me see your neck.”

Wordless, N turned to allow you to see the numbers printed there. His must have just covered it, usually. You swallowed down your emotions, though you couldn't help but feel concerned for N, no matter how confused you were; you had never seen him straight faced and silent before, and it seemed so unnatural for him.

“So that’s how you knew Leo was a cyborg? You’re one too?” You turned to Leo before N had a chance to answer. “How much of this did you know?”

“Only some,” Leo admitted, voice somehow smaller than usual. He watched you cautiously, as though you were caught between crying and screaming and he didn’t know which one you would end up with, or if he would have to come to your rescue. “I suspected he was a cyborg. I didn’t know he had… Feelings for me.” He shifted uncomfortably. “I just knew he had feelings.” He looked pointedly at you, and yet again you sighed.

“So,” you mumbled, needing to clarify to yourself, “you thought he was a cyborg, didn’t mention anything to me. Fantastic. And N, you… Like Leo?” How the hell else could you phrase that?

You didn’t want to think about the fact that N was a cyborg. You had known him for a couple years at least, and he had always been happy and kind and, and far as you knew, on his own. And hadn’t he just said he had his sister visit? How did that work?

“Leo is like me,” he responded, speaking for the first time. “We are the same. We could be happy.”

Some little part of you cracked at the expression on his face, hopeless and tired. You exhaled.

“N,” you finally asked, voice coming out almost as a plea, “will you tell us what’s going on, completely?”

“No.” The answer was immediate and absolute, and his lip curled up a minuscule amount in the corner. “Not now.”

Well. So much for that. You leaned back in your chair, reminded by N’s change of expression that he had just tried to make out with your boyfriend, and decided that you wouldn’t push the issue any further. For now, at least.

“Fine, whatever you want, but I have questions and I want you to stay away from my boyfriend. Not cousin. Boyfriend.” You eyed him, letting the information sink in.

“Oh, I knew.”

“Excuse me?!” You were shocked, yet again. He knew, and he still tried to stick his tongue down Leo’s throat?! You glanced at Leo, who was just grimacing.

“Well you didn’t hide it very well and the numbers kind of make it obvious what he is. It was nothing personal to you though.” He shrugged but you just threw up your hands in exasperation. Leo jumped up before you could decide on your next course of action and launched onto the table, startling you into a squeak, but Leo was on a mission and he grabbed the folds of your bathrobe and held them tight. You realized what as happening and pulled them from his grip, embarrassment causing you to blush scarlet. Not only had you completely forgotten that you were sopping wet and wearing a bathrobe, you were on the verge of flashing both of them and didn’t even have a clue. If not for Leo’s award-worthy save, you would have, given that the tie was apparently completely undone. You had thought they were listening to you serious… But maybe they were just trying to avoid laughing. That rather put things into perspective.

You pulled the robe tight to your body and stood as Leo slid back across the table and into his seat, looking dejected. You were seriously hoping that that wasn’t because he managed to save the robe in time. You blushed harder, realizing that if it was just him you might have let the robe fall.

“I’m going to change, you two wait here. I’m not done with you. And N, don’t make any moves on Leo!”

N rubbed his shoulder where he had hit it as you walked quickly towards your room. “I don’t think I could take it anyway…”