A Choice

Mail Order Leo

“I-I'm so sorry, I didn't ask if I could use the shower, but I thought that-”

You spun on him, cheeks flaming. “That's what you're concerned about?! I don't care if you use the shower, just put some damn clothes on!”

Leo looked like he was about to respond, mouth open with either a plead or retort, before he his eyes landed on your neck.

“You covered it.” His expression shifted, the slightly confused look turning to one of determination. “The mark.”

Your hands flew to your neck where you knew the mark was, slightly ashamed and immediately feeling angry about it.

“I had to go to work,” you snapped, turning away. “I need to look profession and convince my boss that I wasn't on a honeymoon yesterday when I disappeared--”

You glanced over your shoulder as you finished your short tirade, just in time to watch his features soften.

“You're right,” he said, falling back to his usual quiet tone. “I shouldn't have gotten angry at you... But I meant it when I put that mark there.” He match your gaze, staring into your eyes. “You're mine, and I'm yours, and I don't like this N person around. I came here for you. If you don't need me...” He looked down, distressed by the thought with his brows knotted together, and you couldn't help but compare him to a kicked puppy. One that was left in a rainstorm, given how he was dripping on the floor. Regardless, guilt coursed through you and you turned back to him fully, but it was too late.

He grabbed your shoulders, firm enough to make his point despite being gentle, and looked at you pleadingly. “I can make you happy, I know it.”

“L-Leo, I know, I--” You were tripping over your own words, taken completely by surprise at this new side of Leo you never expected to see. You were saved from answering as he pulled you into an embrace, arms wound tightly around you as thought he intended to never let go. Broad and strong, he supported you; without thinking, you hugged him back. Awkwardly, you pat his with one hand as he clung to you.

“Don't leave me,” he pleaded quietly, and you felt a heat rise in your cheeks that tried to hastily chase away. Nothing for it, this man wanted you dead and he was going to let you kill yourself with an overly excited heart. You wondered if he could hear it pounding; he was certainly close enough. You cleared your throat, trying to figure out what to do. Finally, you sighed, and accepted the embrace by laying your head on his shoulder.

“Leo, I kept you for a reason,” you mumbled, hoping he wouldn't catch onto the words too much or make you elaborate. He hugged tighter; you felt compelled to continue. “And... I would choose you over N, I think.”

He pulled away, now sporting a small smile. “N was still a choice, though.”

“Jeeze,” you complained, leaning back and playfully whacking him on the shoulder. “Stop it, I already said I would choose you. Now go put some clothes on.” You pointed to the closet where he stored his belongings.

“Fine fine,” he turned towards it, “but eat before the food gets cold. You haven't eaten since lunch right? That's not healthy, and you're just getting over being sick.”

“Yes yes,” you responded as you went to plate your dinner; you heard him grab clothes and return to the bathroom to change. You took a moment to marvel at what your life had become with Leo there. Food waiting for you when you got home, someone to worry about you and care for you-- you hadn't expected those things when you bought Leo. God, what had you even been expecting? A toy, something to amuse you. But as Leo rounded the corner back into the kitchen, luckily now dressed in jeans and a sweater, you realized that you hadn't gotten any of the things you asked for. Your heart shook a little when you looked at him. You couldn't get enough of him. And when he cared for you, warmth blossomed in you in a way you never thought was possible. You were hesitant to admit it to yourself, not to mention say it aloud, but... you though, just maybe, you loved him.

You watched him as your heart beat like a drum, screaming yes yes yes to you every time it squeezed. Leo was hardly noticing you, washing a pan. His hair was still a little wet, and you noticed that while he had put socks on they didn't match. He wasn't the cyborg boyfriend he had once been. You put down your fork.

“Leo,” you said quietly, hands resting in your lap. He didn't hear you. “Leo.” You said it just a bit louder, loving the way his name sounded on his lips.

“Yeah?” For once, he wasn't paying a ton of attention to you. Any other time you would probably relish the opportunity to get to stare at his shapely shoulders unhindered. Now, though, the words were rising in your throat, demanding attention. Acknowledging it to yourself had flipped a switch you didn't know you had.

“Leo, I want to be your girlfriend.”

Whatever he was holding fell with a clatter into the sink. It was a fork, you thought. Very slowly, Leo turned to look over his shoulder at you. You gave him a small smile, but he just looked at you in shock. Then suddenly he moved, wiping his hands on the towel next to him and rushing to your side.

“You should have told me you weren't feeling well, I would have made something more nutritious. You should go to sleep-” he stuck his hand on your forehead- “but you don't seem to have a fever--”

“Leo I'm fine,” you said, smile growing with the bubbly feeling in your chest. “I just want to be your girlfriend, for real.”

He took his hand away, opened his mouth, and then closed it again. Ever so slowly, he began to smile, the tiniest upturned lip growing until it was a grin that matched yours, such a rare and beautiful sight on your Leo. He said nothing yet; he didn't have to. You leaned closer and pecked him on the lips. N was never a choice.