Unheard Whispers

Mail Order Leo

You snorted, good will gone as you hoped that he would bruise. If a cyborg could bruise.

You changed quickly into a comfy tank and jeans and returned to the kitchen. Leo had moved away from N, who was gaining back some of his earlier demeanor and was chattering away. It was about the weather, and Leo was completely ignoring him, but N was coming back to himself. You watched from the doorway for a few minutes since neither had noticed you yet. N was confusing you to all hell and a large part of you wanted to shove him out the door and pretend he had never been there and you knew nothing. What did someone do about a a neighbor, who was a cyborg, who was a male, who had come into our home to make out with your cyborg boyfriend? None of it made any sense. You were angry, but couldn't blame him. He didn't want to tell you what was going on. It was a mess. You finally gave up making sense of it and walked into the kitchen and wrapped your arms around Leo from behind, leaning your head on his shoulder. You just wanted to feel him.

N stopped talking, sighed, and stood. “I have to go. I have work to do.”

Leo watched as he pushed away from the table; quickly, you let Leo go and followed after him.

“Wait a minute, you can't just leave like that. I need to know--”

“Not today you don't,” he responded, offering a smile that was at odds with his words. I'll see you around I'm sure, and certainly I'll see Leo.” He looked behind you to where Leo was sitting and probably glaring, throwing him a wink. “Besides, I have the souvenir of this bruise to take care of. Bye then!”

“Wai-”

Before you could stop him he was out the door. “I bothered to change because of you,” you mumbled in annoyance as you turned back to Leo. You sat in N's empty seat and pulled it next to Leo so you could lean on him; he wound his arm around your shoulder. You both sat in silence for a moment, Leo letting you relax on him. You were, apparently, a bit more shaken than you thought you were.

Finally, your stomach had enough of the sentimental bull and decided to voice its opinion loudly enough to destroy the moment. Leo just chuckled and pulled away.

“I won't cook the dinner I was planning tonight, but I can whip something up quickly, just give me a minute.”

You nodded and smiled, eternally thankful that you had a boyfriend who could manage a kitchen like a pro. It made everything a little bit easier, and knowing that he cooked specifically for you was always touching. What seemed like minutes later he was placing a plate of refurbished leftovers in front of you, and never in your life had you found leftovers so appetizing.

You speared your pork chop with your fork. “How did you do that?”

“Practice,” he responded, settling himself next to you in a seat. You wanted to talk to him about N, but didn't really want to breach the subject. The issue was swirling around in your head, but every time you tried to pin it down it eluded you. You lost track of time as you ate, not really paying attention to anything as you tried to make sense of what had happened and move on from there. You didn't realize that Leo's already weak smile was fading rapidly as he watched you get into your thoughts, pulling you further and further away from him.

“Here, let me take that,” he finally said, reaching for an empty plate as you finished your last bite.

“Thanks,” you replied distractedly. “I'm going to go read for a while,” you said, and pushed yourself from the chair to curl up on the couch with a novel. You wanted a distraction, something that would tell you how to feel for a little while.

A few minutes passed as you read until you glanced up to see Leo standing in the doorway, watching you. He looked hurt, a little anxious. His brow was furrowed unconsciously a he seemed to be having an internal battle just as you were.

“Stop paying attention to him,” he finally demanded upon seeing your attention, cheeks coloring a little at his own audacity to demand it from you after all that had happened. “I'm the one that came to you. I'm made for you, remember?” He walked over you you from where he leaned on the door frame and sat on the floor next to you, leaning his head on your knees. “This where I belong.”

It was so sickeningly sweet that at any other time you would have laughed; now though, you could only summon a smile. He meant it, anyways, from the depth and core of his being. You could never doubt that. With one lazy hand you reached out and played with his soft hair, running it through your fingers. The motion was soothing, feeling him there next to you with the weight of his head on your knee was comforting. Your hand moved slower and slower as you dozed, until finally you fell completely asleep and stopped.

You didn't want to dream. Not that night of all nights, but a little tendril of doubt was weaving itself through your mind. You didn't want to name your fears, whether they be jealousy or insecurity, or both. You curled into a ball on the couch in your sleep-filled state. It was such a simple thing, what you wanted, and the scariest thing you would ever admit-- you wanted Leo to be yours, and yours alone, but maybe there was someone out there better for him.

Until Leo gathered you in his arms and cradled you to the bed, you couldn't escape yourself. Once in his warm embrace, however, the deeper sleep that evaded you finally was captured, and you snuggled closer to him.

“I love you,” Leo whispered, tightening his arms around you, but you didn't hear it.

 


 

Guys I'm sorry I don't even know what I've done T T. Hopefully you're enjoying the story regardless, I know I am ^^ . Thank you all for your amazing support, I appreciate it so much you don't even know :) I'm looking to start a new fanfic, so if anyone has any ideas or a different group you want to see, let me know, I love hearing what you guys want. Anyway, thanks again, I hope you continue to enjoy :D