Pajamas

Mail Order Leo

The entire time you were out, you thought about Leo. After only one afternoon, he seemed like a stable part of your life. You knew almost nothing about him, but was there anything to know? You thought back to the moment on the couch when he towered over you. Was that feeling only fear, or was there excitement there as well?

You meandered through the convenience store, picking up various shirts and pants, grabbing a few pairs of underwear and socks as an afterthought. You thought there were hand me down shoes in the apartment that might fit. Your eyes trailed across the other knick knacks in the store as you checked out.

“Thank you, have a nice evening.” You took your bags from the clerk as she smiled before greeting the next customer who walked in; as she took his appearance in, her smile fell.

“Um, sir, you can't come in here without shoes.”

You turned to spot the shoe-less weirdo, only to have your eyes widen in surprise.

“Leo!”

He stood there in the doorway, looking around in complete confusion. The automatic door kept trying to close on him, hitting his shoulders before opening for another few seconds. His eyes were wide as he looked at the people all walking by and bright fluorescent lights. As soon as he heard you call him name, he spotted you and hurried over.

“Sir!” The clerk insisted. You rushed and grabbed his elbow, bags slung over your arms, and pulled him towards the exit.

“So sorry,” you called, dragging him away into the night. As soon as you were out of sight of the store, you spun on him.

“Was I not clear enough? 'Don't leave.' What about that didn't you get?” You pointed him towards a bench near the sidewalk. He went and sat, not trying to get a word in as you continued.

“I specifically told you to stay there! You don't even have proper clothes! Here, put on socks at least.” You threw the package at him before continuing to dig through the bag. “Do you know how much you cost? What the hell would I do if you got lost?” The thought caused a small shiver. “Granted, I would probably be responsible, but st-- actually, how in the world did you find me? I'm five blocks from the apartment--”

You were cut off by Leo's broad chest as he pulled you into an embrace. For a second you were surprised, but that was the entire length of the hug. He backed away, smiling, and took your hand in his.

“Let's go home, okay?” He shed a glorious smile on you, and in that moment your decision was made. Leo would be staying.

When you got back, it was nearly one a.m. and you were exhausted. The next day was Friday, so luckily the weekend was coming, but it wasn't there yet; you still had to get up early. You went to your bedroom after handing Leo the various bag, giving him one with particular instructions, and locked the door behind you to change. Once safely in Pjs, you went out to the bathroom to wash your face and brush your teeth.

“Did you put it on?” You called as you put the toothbrush in your mouth. You had no idea what compelled you to buy it.

“...I don't think this is a good idea.” Leo walked into view through the open bathroom doorway. As you caught sight of him you choked on the foam in your mouth, having to spit into the sink while holding onto the rims.

“Oh my god,” you said, dying of laughter. You looked over your shoulder again to see the Leo adorned in a cat onesie in your house. The speckled color extended to the tip of a tail dragging across the floor and the top of two curved ears on his head. He was sporting a pout that was sickeningly adorable. You ditched the toothbrush and wiped your face, going over to him with a grin he didn't seem to appreciate splitting your face.

He looked at you uncomfortably. “Is this really something boyfriends do?”
You had to put a hand over your mouth to contain your giggles at his quiet question; you nodded your head quickly instead. He sighed in response.

“Fine.”

You didn't know why you had bought those particular pajamas for him, but you certainly couldn't find anything wrong with your choice now. Eventually, though, you had to let the fun end. Morning was on its way and you had to get up early. You pat him on the head between the ears, reaching up above you to do so.

“I'm going to bed, okay? Do you... need to sleep?”

He pulled off the hood in response to your patting, and you had the feeling he was seconds away from ping the damn thing completely. “No,” he responded. “I don't.”

The pajamas, apparently, were unnecessary. Good thing you got your fun out of them already. “Are you going to just... hang out in the living room?”

He thought for a second. “I could, I suppose.”

“Well...” you said, looking longingly at your own room. You probably should have thought about this earlier. “That's fine then. I'll see you in the morning, I guess.” You headed into your room and slowly closed the door, watching Leo in his onesie disappear.

“Goodnight,” he called, and smiled.