Books or Kisses

Mail Order Leo

The next few days were uneventful, and while Leo seemed wary at the change you were enjoying it. It's was welcome after the few tiring weeks and your fingers were happy to not be abused; soon they were fully healed, and the fear of the elevator event was forgotten.

Instead, you turned your focus on Leo. He seemed to be growing into himself in unexpected ways, becoming his own person. You realized a long time ago that you could never see him as a cyborg again; he was only your boyfriend.

There was a knock on your bedroom door and you looked up from your seat on your bed, book in hand. Leo was waiting in the doorway with your cell phone.

"Library called, your next book is in."

"Really?!" You bounced up and threw down the one you were reading, a distraction as you waited for the next in the series you had ordered. Now that Leo had been there for almost a few months, you had settled in together and old habits showed themselves. Reading was a favorite pastime of yours, if solitary, though Leo managed to even into that aspect of your life. He was curious about what you read and so he snagged every book from you before it went back to the library. Thus, many of your evening were spent with you curled up in one end of the couch with your current read and Leo on the other end with whatever you had just finished, feet intertwined in the middle.

"I'm going to go get them now," you said, gathering your purse and shoes as you stumbled to the door. Nothing was more important than a book except maybe food.

"I'm coming too," Leo proclaimed, gathering his wallet and belongings just as quickly. You waved him away

"No need to get up, it's just down the block. I'm just going to pick it up and head home." You turned around and plucked your phone from his hands before going back to tying your shoe. "Besides, I have my phone, you can call."

Leo wasn't thrilled with the idea of you going alone, you could tell. You stood with a sigh and put a hand on his shoulder.

"I'm a big girl, Leo, I can take care of myself."

Leo shook his head a tiny bit, reaching out to caress a strand of hair that had fallen over your shoulder. "I never doubted that. I just want to be with you."

He was looking at you with eyes that were nearly begging to come, and you were forced to turn away with a hand covering you mouth. When in the world had he learned to do that?! It was hardly fair! You peeked back over your shoulder, but he was looking forlornly at his now empty hand, since your hair had gone with you. You couldn't resist that face, all innocent and nice until-- your train of thought froze as you went back to the night you had shared together, a night that hadn't been replicated since. Your cheeks colored with sudden severity as memories of it filled your mind, and you were forced to turn around again quickly before Leo could notice.

"Fine," you conceded, more concerned now about hiding the ridiculous blush than proving that you were capable. "Let's go then, it's past eight, they close soon."

Leo didn't smile, but you could sense his excitement.

You grabbed your keys, pushed out the door, and then descended the stair with Leo close on your heels. As the cool night air rushed against your face and your blush cooled, you reached a hand out to Leo and brushed your knuckles across the back of his hand. Leo took a greater step with his long legs, coming up closer to you and taking not only your fingers with his but your whole arm, linking himself close to you.

“It's a little chilly tonight, don't you think?”

His smooth voice was suddenly murmuring in your ear, far closer than you had expected; the brush of his breath against your skin sent you reeling, and you let out a little moan.

“Leo, that's not even--”

“You don't like it?”

He cut you off and you were forced to look up at him. His expression was nothing less than devious, as he was apparently very pleased with himself for illiciting such a response. You let out an upward breath that blew back the hair around your face and attempted to cool the blush. Where was the breeze when you needed it? “It's not that I don't like it, I'm just... not... used to it.” You kept walking.

Leo raised an eyebrow at you. “Still? But I've been very careful to-” He cut himself off, but it was too late, you figured out where he was going.

“You've been doing it on purpose?” You snapped, looking up at him in disbelief. You would have to get on a block to stand on or something soon so you could look him in the eye when he did things like this. “What, was this some sort of training exercise?!”

“No, no,” Leo mumbled, looking like he was trying far too hard not to break into laughter, which only fueled your indignation. “It wasn't anything of the sort, I just--”

“Wanted to what?”

You couldn't tell if you were angry or embarrassed or amused, but embarrassed was beginning to win out. Exactly how much had you been blushing that he felt the need to slowly prep you so you wouldn't freaking die when he touched you? Oh my god, you thought, how long has this been going on? Days? Weeks? You put your empty hand on your cheek, trying to feel if the warmth there was from mortification or your earlier arousal.

“I just wanted to make sure you were enjoying yourself as much as I was, that's all.”

Was hitting him and running away a fair option? Probably not, you conceded, but if you had even a fraction less self control it would have happened. How did he come up with lines like that, and say them with a straight face to boot? You had gotten closer to him recently, but a few days with your nose in a book had put you right back where you started. Regardless, you would have to check his little manual book that you stashed in your room to figure out if this was normal.

“Are you?”

“Huh?” You had been totally distracted by your thoughts, you hardly noticed as Leo stopped walked and moved in front of you, hands on your shoulders.

“Enjoying yourself.”

“W-well, that--”

His lips were on yours the second you opened them, but you hardly cared; the library could wait.