Use Caution

Mail Order Leo

Leo looked at you a moment silence, an almost smile gracing his lips. You were pleased to note that he was breathing almost as hard as you were. You smiled at him and held you hand back out, waiting for him to take it again. When he accepted it you tightened his fingers around his.

"Do you, uh, have anywhere in particular you want to go to eat? I mean, if you actually want to eat..." You stumbled through your words, distracted by his broad shoulders next to you and his warm hands. Your thoughts about him as a cyborg were pushed away by your unconscious assurance of him as a human. You waited expectantly for an answer, thrilled to be going out together. Initially you were terrified someone would see; now you hardly cared.

"No, I thought we were eating at the store... But that coffee shop is nearby?"

You couldn't help but grin at Leo's barely contained excitement. Coffee, anyone? After the last few stressful days watching Leo drink coffee was exactly what you needed. "That sounds great, let's go!" You headed down the street quickly, the dramatic kissing episode forgotten for now. You pulled him with you, smile fading only for a moment when you felt a strange sensation at your back. You glanced behind, but no one was there and you didn't even see any sign of a person.

The feeling mellowed your happy mood. It was familiar, but it sent a chill down down your spine; it was not a good connection. The sunny day seemed to dull, and you gripped tighter on Leo's hand.

"What's wrong?"

You hadn't even realized that you had stopped walking. Leo was looking at you intensely, obviously concerned but having trouble figuring out what was wrong. You looked back once more, and still finding the sidewalk empty shook you head. Leo glanced up behind you, trying to find what had distressed you, eyes narrowing. He, too, found nothing. He squeezed your hand supportingly.

"Come on, then, let's hurry to get some food; maybe you'll feel better?" He didn't quite seem sure about his suggestion, but it was sweet of him; you smiled to displace your discomfort.

"Yes, I'm sure I will. Let's keep going then."

The feeling faded as you walked on, and the warmth of the day returned. You forgot the event, considering that nothing had actually happened. The coffee shop was filled with happy strangers, and as you went in you found the seats you and Leo had sat in the day you gave him your house key.

"Latte," he ordered immediately, but you took a little longer to decide, wondering if the sandwiches there were any good. While he sipped his drink you went over the short menu again.

"I was thinking." Leo suddenly announced, and you cocked your head in confusion until he continued. "About N. I think you should stay away from him."

You sighed. "Leo, N is harmless to me. He likes you, you know, he's just using me to get closer to you."

Leo shook his head, clearly not convinced. “I think there's more to it than that. And even if there isn't, what would he do to get to me?” He wouldn't meet your eyes; you set down the menu and waited as he swirled his drink. How long had he been thinking on this? He had a point, but you weren't sure it was valid for N.

“You might have... forgotten.” He continued, a small waver in his voice, “that we aren't really human. It's more complicated than that. But I haven't forgotten, and N probably hasn't either. If he doesn't love you, that makes him all the more dangerous. Okay? Just... be careful.”

You reached out an put a hand over his, stilling his nervous movement of the cup. He looked at you with obvious emotion in his eyes, but you couldn't figure out what it was. “Don't worry. I won't do anything stupid, you know that.”

“I do, but that doesn't translate to being careful. Be wary, be cautious. Always keep your phone with you. Even if you go in the elevator.” The corner of his lip rose just the tiniest bit, and you let go of him to flop back into your chair with arms crossed.

“Well excuse me for getting stuck in an elevator, as though it was my fault.”

“Not at all.”

“It wasn't.”

Leo sipped his coffee through a smile and you stuck out your tongue, unable to resist the satisfyingly immature revenge. “I'm going to order,” you announced, pushing back you seat; you felt Leo's eyes on you all the way as you walked across the room.

While you waited for your order you had a few minutes to think about what he had said, letting his words sink in. He made a very good point, you had to admit. They weren't precisely human. But on the other hand, they were made to be boyfriends. Were they really capable of being that destructive, especially for a person they weren't destined for? Leo was worried for you, but suddenly you found yourself wholly concerned for Leo. What the hell would he to do Leo if he got him? As the server returned with your order you forced yourself to calm down and take perspective. You were talking about N, not some demon cyborg set on ruling the world; just N, the sad and lonely cyborg upstairs. He had mostly been a gentleman to you as well, ignoring his make out attempt with Leo and a few harsh words here or there. You couldn't summon fear of him.

You returned to your seat with a sandwich in hand, stomach rumbling in appreciation, causing Leo to smile. You ate in a happy silence, contentedly eating until nothing was left. Your fingers burned every now and again from the small wounds and being well used throughout the day, but that hardly mattered in the face of food. Shows proper priorities, you thought with a smirk. As you finished and put down your napkin, Leo stood and held out his hand, waiting.

“Ready?”