Fever

Mail Order Leo

He held out the bottle to you, and you picked it up carefully. You spun it around, looking for the small printed instructions on the back, but found only a mess of black ink. You squinted harder, trying to figure out whether or not it was your eyes or the bottle that was looking like that. As words swam into focus before disappearing, your question was answered. And regardless, you couldn’t read it. Your head was throbbing from the effort; closing your eyes briefly, you handed the bottle back to Leo.

“How much does it say to take?”

He paused, rereading the label. “Up to two pills every fours hours until fever has diminished.”

“Alright,” you gave in, opening your eyes. “Sounds good enough. Give me two please?” You rubbed your head as Leo unscrewed the cap and places two small pills in your waiting hand. He had a glass of water waiting on the bedside table, and as he readied to give it to you you leaned back and downed the pills. Your throat was dry and upset at the intrusion, but you forced them down and reached out for the water.

“Careful.” Leo intoned as you gulped it. “You don’t want to choke…” He eat he watched helplessly as you emptied that glass in one quick swallow and handed it back to him. You were feeling worse by the minute. You hoped the medicine would kick in soon.

“Alright, you should go back to sleep if you can. Here, lay down.” He reached behind you and fluffed your pillow, and then supported you’re shoulder as you slid further under the sheet. “Careful,” he put a hand behind your head. “Don’t him the headboard.” Cautious as always, perhaps more now that you were sick, he helped you back to your original position and tucked the sheet around your chin.

“Are you hot? Cold?” He was looking down at you with furrowed brows. You closed your eyes, trying to figure out if you were indeed hot or cold.

“Hot, I think…” You said.

“But you’re shivering…” Leo responded, and went for another blanket anyway. He started to pull it over you.

“No it’s too hot, I don’t want it!” Vaguely you could hear how whiny you were being, but it hardly registered. “Leo, you sleep with me instead!”

It seemed perfectly logical in your fever induced delirium. Leo looked stunned, just for a moment, before smiling at you gently. He brushed the sweaty hair off of your forehead and leaned down to place a protective kiss there. “Of course,” he responded. He leaned over and flicked the light switch, leaving you together in darkness, before settling into the bed next to you; he stayed on top of the sheet you were beneath.

You were about to complain about it when he rolled closer and slid his arm under your head, creating a new- and, in your eyes, much improved pillow. The other arm wound over your waist.

“How’s that?” He whispered in your ear, and you smiled; you were already asleep again.

You hardly felt better when you awoke again, but the next time there was natural light in the room and your head was a little bit clearer. You blinked a few times, letting yourself grow accustomed to the sudden brightness, trying to throw off blankets as you went.

You were forced to open your eyes completely when something was in your way, and the blankets stayed firmly around you. Exactly where he was when you fell asleep, Leo was cradling you at you side, only barely moved to allow you to reposition yourself comfortably. The blanket was held still by the strong arm across your waist.

“Leo, get off, it's too hot,” you mumbled, pushing his arm weakly.

Leo appeared to be sleeping peacefully... until he responded. “You need to sleep more,” he murmured back, eyes still closed. The hand around your waist tightened. “You need more rest.”

“But it's too hot.” You complained, pushing harder. You were forced to acknowledge your weakness when he barely budged an inch. Was that because you were sick, or because he was strong?

“Still?” Leo sat up now, brows furrowed, and quickly felt your forehead again. “You're still fevered. You should-”

“I need a drink.” He had removed his arm and you quickly took the opportunity to sit up. There was no water on the nightstand. You pulled away the blanket completely to head towards the kitchen. Your throat was a desert and you weren't fond of it that way. You stood slowly .

“Wait, wait, you aren't strong enough yet, the fever--”

“Leo,” you said, willing you voice to be strong, “I'm fine. See?” You were already on your feet, walking slowly towards the hallway. “The fever is mostly gone. I'm just getting water.”

Leo scrambled to his feet after you. “Still, be careful.”

“It's just the kitchen, Leo.” Truth be told, you felt okay, but certainly not that great. You were still feverish, legs weaker than you would have liked them to be. But you could make it to the kitchen.

Leo was behind you the entire way, only a step behind, arms out as though to catch you. You stopped with an exasperated sigh. “Leo, I'm fine. Stop treating me like an infant.”

He grabbed you around the waist, lifting you from the ground just slightly and spinning you to just enough so he could kiss you on the lips. “Does it count as medicine if I kiss you?”

You looked up at him, search for water forgotten.

“Only if you kiss me twice.”

He leaned down again, pressing his lips against yours gently. “And now that you've taken your medicine, you should go back to sleep.”

You smiled at him. “I'm not sleepy.”

“If I sing you a lullaby will you be?”

You couldn't help but laugh. “Leo that isn't how this works.”

He kissed you again before picking you up into his arms and carrying you into the kitchen. “I'll get you a glass of water, then.”