Flickering Lights

Mail Order Leo

As he broke away a moment later and your head took a second to clear you took note of his half smile. Maybe he was a devil in disguise as an angel.

Appeared now, he held a hand out to you, waiting for you to take it and proceed.

“Lets...” you murmured, screwing your head back on and forcing yourself to think. “Lets go get the book and hurry back to the apartment.”

Leo let out an almost inaudible chuckle. “Alright, let's go.”

You wondered if he had planned this all along when he had insisted on coming.

The library was only a few blocks away, the outside street light blinking uselessly before going completely dark. You should have found it foreboding; maybe if you had, you would have been more aware, wouldn't have been dazed by the kiss and the feeling of Leo's lips. Instead, you commented that they would have to fix that.

“Keep moving and you'll have to fix your boyfriend, too.”

You froze, heart dropping through your stomach like a leaden weight. That was not a voice you recognized, but it was angry and icy. Your hand reached back for Leo's seemingly of it's own accord, until your fingertips touched his. You had let go of them at some point. Someone was trembling, but through the panic in your mind you couldn't tell if it was you or him.

Slowly, fearing what you would see when you turned, you looked over your shoulder to find Leo in the darkness. A large man stood behind him, easily as tall and certainly wider, face obscured by a scruffy beard and wild eyes. To the side of Leo's neck he held a small metal device, two prongs pushing against his shin and a small blue light blinking between them. You had no idea what it was, but Leo's expression and the man's confidence filled you with terror.

“Good...” the man said as you stilled, and he moved his free arm to relax around Leo's shoulders, the movement far more threatening than it could seem. At the same time, though, the metal prongs moved away from his skin, and you felt air once again enter your lungs. “Now, come with me.”

“Don't you dare,” Leo growled as he stared you down. Chin held high and radiating anger, Leo demanded that you run with his eyes even as the arm tightened around him and the prongs pressed back into his flesh.

You ignored him. Completely. You nodded to the man, who smirked, and began to pull Leo into a nearby alley with you following quickly. Your breath came in short pants, and you were unable to register anything besides the flashes of emotions in Leo's dark eyes. You wouldn't think about what he felt, because you didn't think you could deal with the aftermath of knowing. A car was waiting at the other end of the street, parked conveniently with the back door open. “In,” the man ordered, and you did so quickly, sliding in. You hands trembled, and you were relieved to be sitting because you weren't sure you would have been able to stand for much longer.

No,” Leo hissed, voiced stronger this time as he struggled against the man holding him back. He had hardly a moment to fight before the man pushed the prongs into his neck and Leo spasmed, head falling back as a guttural cry ripped from his throat and his eyes closed.

You clawed you way out of the car as you screamed his name, trying to catch him in your arms through the blinding tears as his body went limp. You never made it outside; instead the man who attacked Leo nearly threw his body at you into the car, nearly hitting his head on the metal frame as you went. You were focused completely on Leo, on the unmoving form and flesh that seemed frighteningly cold. You screeched unconsciously as a sharp tug on your hair puled your towards the door and forced you to let go of Leo's hand.

“You.” The man said, and you looked up as the pressure on your hair loosened for a second before pulling again. “Shut. Up.”

He slammed the door shut on you, and before you knew it the car was speeding away.

 

* * *

 

You thought you were having a heart attack. The world was spinning around you and you were gripping hard enough onto Leo that you should have worried you would leave bruises. Was he dead? How could you tell? You had no idea what was going on, but they knew what Leo was, you had no doubt about it. He might not have said it, but the device he used, his tone when he called Leo your boyfriend- he knew. Rhythmically you ran your hands through his hair, the softness contrasting with your harsh surroundings and your still-sore scalp. He had to be alive, you decided. He had to be.

What could you do, how could you escape? You had been in the car for nearly twenty minutes before you decided to try anything, and even then you were cautious. You shifted Leo's weight to the side, bringing his head to rest on your shoulder and you slid a hand into your pocket looking for your phone. You knew of only one person you could contact, and you still hesitated as you scrolled through your contacts list. You shouldn't get him involved. You couldn't. But Leo was laying unconscious in your lap and they hadn't taken your phone; you couldn't ignore the opportunity. As quietly as possible, you clicked on his number and pulled open a text, typing furiously in case the man decided to look in the mirror and saw what was happening. Heart hammering in your throat, you clicked the send button. Now, you had work to do. You looked down to Leo's still form. You could almost pretend he was sleeping, if not for the absence for a heartbeat. Unable to bear the sight, you pressed a kiss to his forehead and turned to the window with the phone in hand, ready to send the name of any road you happened to pass that you could read in the darkness.

 


*cough* so uh I kinda feel terrible doing this but I just want cute Leo back so this plot has to get out of the way, I didn't intend for it to exist to begin with >< sorry for the cliffhanger, I'll try to get the next chapter up soon! Hope you enjoy!