Answers

Mail Order Leo

You sat on his couch alone and contemplated your phone where it sat on the table in front of you. You wanted Leo to call and ask where you were or what specifically you wanted at the store. It wasn't going to happen. It had been all of fifteen or twenty minutes since he left; there was no such luck in store for you.

N had let you squirm uncomfortably for a minute before pointing out his couch and telling you to sit while he put on a shirt. You were beginning to think that it was a natural cyborg flaw to strip whenever possible. You bit your lip, wondering when he would reemerge. You glanced yet again to the phone.

“You can put that away,” N said, and you jumped, not realizing he was pack yet. He looked pointedly at your phone and smiled at you. “I'm not going to bite.”

He carried in two cups of tea and set them on either side of the phone, one for you an one for himself. It was true, he didn't look like he was after you as much as he was having fun teasing you. You stuffed your phone in your pocket.

“So,” he said, leaning back into the couch, “I assume you want to talk.” The smile was still present, but the happiness behind it was fading. He was staring straight at you with chocolate eyes, analyzing quietly. You simply nodded in response.

“It's not really a pleasant story. When I found out Leo was here I was.... relieved, that there was someone like me. There aren't that many of us, you know.” None of that was really a surprise. You picked up the cup of tea and folded your legs under you, settling to wait for the rest. He seemed like he would talk, thank goodness.

“She bought me just like you bought him. And we fell in love, just like you fell in love with him. It's our job, after all, we can't help it.” He paused, seeming lost in thoughts. “I wasn't really prepared for it when she died.”

You're mouth felt suddenly dry and your heart dropped to the floor. Your thoughts were a confused mess, and the only rational thing you could pick out was oh my god.

N took one look at your expression and gave you a sad smile. “We were together for almost two years. And then that was it. Everything ended. I held her body when it happened. Car accident, drunk driver. I couldn't save her.”

He looked like he was having trouble with his words; you looked away. All the blood had drained from your face at the shock, only to come back in a powerful flush from shame. How audacious had you been to just demand answers from him? Never in a million years had you expected a tragic back story, no way in hell. He had always been so happy and kind. You looked into the murky tea, wishing you could take it all back and escape ignorantly.

“The company tried to take me back, but I wouldn't leave. Her sister set me up to live on my own; she knew what I was. She was the one who was hear last week, in fact. We still stay in contact. But of course,” N said, dismissing his words up until then with a wave of his hand, “you want to know about my relationship with Leo.”

You nodded, unsure of what else you sere supposed to do. He gave you a wane smile that seemed to brighten at the thought of Leo-- you and him both.

“When I heard you had ordered Leo I was surprised; I went to investigate. I bumped into both of you a few time, but the night I brought you home when you were sick I really got to figure things out. Leo is kind, sweet, protective--” his smiled widened at you. “--which I'm sure you know well, but above all he's a cyborg like me. Things would be much easier.”

“How the hell do you know all this?” You finally asked regarding Leo's arrival, confused. He smirked, just a little.

“I'm very observant. I'm also very smart.”

Well ouch. But at least he kept talking. You nursed your bruised ego with a sip of warm tea while he continued. He seemed to be lost in thought for a moment, the small bits of happiness fading from his expression when he turned back to you. “I know he is 'yours', and I can respect that position... but I will take him from you. Besides, you will expire, and he will have nowhere to turn.”

“It's not that simple, N,” you said, feeling the need to defend your feelings for Leo and, hopefully, his for you.

“It is. You haven't even done it yet, and it's been weeks. What do you think he's made for?” N took a sip of tea with an eyebrow raised, watching as the blush crawled across your face as you stood indignantly.

“T-that's none of your business! And besides, there's more to a relationship than that!”

“Oh sit down. And of course there is, but that's a big part that you're ignoring, it won't end well.”

You sat down slowly at his chastisement. “I don't--”

“He's just a possession to you,” N said, voice suddenly cold. “An item. A toy. Something you bought because you were bored and lonely. Something you paid for.”

You grit your teeth but said nothing. It was true, all of it, and you hated yourself for it. But at the same time, you couldn't have done anything different, you couldn't have made him human. He was who he was. And you loved him for it.

“Then what did you have with you're girlfriend? She bought you just the same way.”

He seemed angry, but before he could respond you were on your feet, heading to the door and biting down on your seething anger. You shouldn't have come.

“I have to go. I'm sure I'll see you around. Thanks for the tea.”

You didn't wait to see his reaction, just went straight out, into the elevator, and back to your apartment. By the time you got to your floor you were nearly running. You closed the door behind you and leaned on it for a moment, breathing deeply. The lights were still off, leaving you in blissful darkness while your mind swirled with thoughts. You had answers, now you needed resolution. You just didn't know where you were going to find it.