Sick Day

Mail Order Leo

You smiled as he settled you into a chair, careful to not hurt you, and went to the sink. He was being so gentle with you, as though you would trip and break yourself. Was that what you seemed like to him, something so fragile? You leaned your elbows on the table and put your head in your hands.

“Here you go,” Leo said as he offered you the glass, placing it in front of you. “Drink all of it, you probably need more liquids.”

You were thirsty, but he had gotten you one of the big glasses that you rarely used. Generally you didn't drink a lot, so this felt like the gulping down the sea. You drank about half of it quickly but felt it settle heavily in your stomach. You put down the glass.

“Drink it all.” Leo was looking at you from across the table, eyebrows raised expectantly. Your head swam a bit as you focused on him. “Now.”

“Leo, I don't want anymore water, thanks though.” You slid him back the glass; you weren't liking how your stomach felt.

“There are other ways to get you to drink it you know.” His voice had taken on that low, husky quality that Leo only got when he wanted something... namely you. “My lips fit perfectly onto your lips--”

“Leo, that's enough.” You cut him off quickly, grabbing back the cup and downing the rest of the water. You didn't have the strength to deal with an empowered Leo, not today. Not most days, actually. But certainly not today. “Happy?” You were feeling more terrible by the minute, eyes drooping and head aching, and all you wanted was the gentle, caring Leo back.

The sharpness in his eyes dulled, the slightly cocky expression melting back to something softer and more comfortable. “Yes, thank you. Do you think you can eat, too? I can make something light.”

You furrowed your brow as you listened to your displeased body. No, food was not the next thing you needed. “No, maybe later. Will you... cuddle with me instead?” You were probably already red from the fever, but you were likely another shade darker now. It wasn't like you to act so needy? What in the world were you doing?

“Forget it,” you said quickly as he opened his mouth to respond. “You probably have better things to do-”

You were cut off by the deep laughter coming from Leo, a sound that startled you so much you blinked in surprise. Leo? Pure, uncontrolled laughter? But apparently you were funny because there it was.

“I spend my days waiting for you to get home.” He looked at you fondly as he spoke, walking around the table to stand next to you. He took your chin in his hands, making eye contact with you. “Remember this, okay? Nothing-- and I mean, nothing, is more important to me than you. You gave me a reason to exist...” He trailed off, admiring your face, your eyes, the few tendrils of hair that were blocking your vision. “I will do anything for you.”

“Do you use that line on all the girls?” you responded after a pause to gather your breath. Despite what you said, you couldn't help but admit that you were a little swept off your feet. He knew exactly what to say to strike you in the heart.

He leaned over and placed a gentle kiss on your lips. “No, just on the only girl that matters. Now,” he continued as he pulled away, as though your heart wasn't beating at a mile a minute, “lets go get you settled.”

You hopped from your chair as his hands fell to the side. He went ahead while you shuffled behind. Your head was still throbbing, though you questioned now whether it was from the fever or Leo. Probably both. Your hand sought the wall as you went, a stable support through the haze you felt. Leo was already filling the couch with fluffy blankets, making a small comfy nest for the two of you, while flipping on the tv with the other hand.

“This is what we get for kissing in the damn rain,” you mumbled as you sat in the pile on the couch. The good mood from the previous day was nowhere to be seen.

“I'm sorry you got sick,” Leo answered sincerely, “but now you have an irreplaceable memory. With me.”

You thought you heard a twinge of sadness at the end of his statement. “That's true,” you conceded. “And we couldn't have gotten back any earlier anyway...” You closed your eyes as the room swam again. You were thankful you weren't standing; that one might have sent you to the floor. You took a few deep breathes, trying to steady yourself. It was far, far too hot; you were in minimal clothes as it was, but you shoved the blankets to the far side of the couch.

Leo's weight next to you startled you a bit, but you kept your eyes closed. He pulled you over to lean on him, which you went into willingly, setting into his stable, miraculously still shoulder. He put his hand up to your forehead, feeling for the fever.

“It doesn't seem much better...” he murmured, voice unsure. Before he could move his hand away you grabbed it, pressing it back against your forehead. It was blissfully cool. His other hand s behind you to reach behind your head, disrupting the heat that was melting the back of neck.

You let go of the tension you were holding, letting Leo completely support your head. With your eyes still closed you found yourself in a place much further away than your living room, somewhere relaxing and magical. You could hardly feel your body... until the head came back.

Leo pulled his hands away; you had completely warmed them. “Wait here,” he said, pulling away from you to stand. “I'll go get a cool cloth. Don't move, just rest, alright? I'll be right back.” he walked away, glancing once over his shoulder before he turned the corner. You plopped back into couch, devoid of energy.