Ice Cream

Mail Order Leo

“You want ice cream right?” He asked, walking over to the vendor. If was a little test you had devised for him. You had long since realized that, besides you, he was very bad with people. If you stared at the ice cream stand long enough, which you had, you hoped he would volunteer to go get some-- which he was about to do.

“Yes, please,” you said with a smile, handing him a bill.

He looked down at it as he took it an back at you. He was relatively expressionless, so you couldn't tell what he was thinking about. “What do you want?”

“A small twist cone,” you responded, keeping it simple. “Please.”

He nodded and headed over to the stand; you sat at a nearby bench and watched. This was one of the most popular parks around, so people were everywhere. Young children ran by, dragging their parents behind them, and young and old couples alike enjoyed the sun and bright green grass. A young child, broken away from his mother in his rush to get ice cream, went tumbling towards Leo as a rock in the path sent him sprawling. You jumped to your feet on impulse, worrying about the kid, until Leo shot his arms out and caught him.

Immediately the child started crying in fright at his near fall; he was only two or three, you thought. You started to walk over to them, spotting the mother hurrying from relatively far down the path. Leo had the child in his arms as you approached.

“There there,” he was saying, cooing at the child as he curled up against Leo's broad shoulders and his tears stopped. “You're fine, I've got you,” he continued.

It was quite the picture; ice cream forgotten, you could feel your jaw almost drop as you watched Leo glow with a new-found expression. He had softened, a look you had only seen one other time after he had insisted you but the bandaid on your knee. He had eyes only for the child, talking to him in a voice nearly too low for you to hear, and within moments the child laughed. At the sound of the giggle, Leo broke into the most glorious smile. You stood still a few feet away. You wouldn't have guessed Leo to be the one to be good with children, but seeing him there on the verge of laughter and smiling like a beautiful idiot you hoped he would always have a child to hold. As you made your feet keep working, bringing you all of the way to his side as the mother approached, you wondered if he would have the same reaction to an animal; a rabbit, perhaps? A cat as his pajamas, which you hadn't gotten him to wear again, suggested? You tucked the idea away for later.

“Thank you so much,” the mother was saying. “I'm so sorry to trouble you.”

“It was no trouble,” Leo said, settling the child in his mother's arms. As they walked away, the kid waved to Leo over his mother's shoulder, and Leo gave a small wave back. You linked your arm through his.

“I think you enjoyed that a bit too much.”

He turned to the side, clearing his throat. “Small twist cone, right?”

“Oh come on,” you teased as he waited for the person in front of him to order. “That kid was adorable and you know it.”

“Maybe,” he responded noncommittally, and you held down a giggle. When had he become so cute? You were finding that you absolutely loved this side of him. If you more, what would his expression be like?

“Well, I think you were pretty cute in those onesie pajamas the other day...”

Leo unlinked his arm from yours as the person working the vendor called out “next!”, but he didn't move quick enough to hide his slightly mortified expression. With a giggle, you told him you would wait at the bench. He nodded in acknowledgment before turning back to the worker.

You meandered back to the sunny bench; he would be a few minutes after all. All you could think about after that episode was Leo in the cat Onesie. You would get him back in it, you vowed, and this time you would make sure to tug the tail. Your thoughts drifted to the last time he wore it, the morning he had woken up next to you. The zipper had been coming undone, you recalled to your amusement. It was only a few inches, but it was still enough to bare his shoulder. Not that that should be a big deal of course. When you first saw him, he was basically, you know, . But of course that was only that one time, he had had a strict wardrobe since then... but still, regardless of whether it was intentional design or not, he had a really, really, nice body. Those muscles, strong and reliable, broad shoulders--

“Are you alright? You look a little red. Is it too warm here? Do you want to go sit in the shade?”

You nearly fell off the bench as Leo approached and leaned over you, carefully inspecting your face. You had been far to distracted by the image in your mind to notice. Your hands flew to your cheeks, feeling the glowing heat of your blush.

“N-no, I'm totally fine, really.”

Leo didn't look particularly convinced, however he sat down without further question. “Here, at least cool down with the ice cream,” he said, holding out a cone to you. It was only then that you realized he had two.

“You're having one too?” You asked, surprised. He had never eaten, to your knowledge.

“Well,” he said, contemplating the vanilla cone, “I'll have some, I'm sure. But mostly,” he reached out and swiped the edge of the cone across your bottom lip, smearing you with ice cream despite your little cry of protest. “I wanted to do this.”

He leaned over and with his free hand pulled your head to his, tongue flicking across your bottom lip to clean the mess he had just created. You heart thudded in your chest, blooding pumping and turning you blisteringly red in blush. He pulled away from your frozen form, a contented smirk on his face that you have never, ever, expected to see after he had held that child.

“Yummy.”

 


Hey all! I generally try not to interrupt the story with my rambling, but I'd like to ask that you do this poll for me, so I can know your feelings about Mail Order Leo! It will only take a few seconds, I promise; just copy and paste it ! I hope you've enjoyed the story so far!

*Update* I've taken down the poll with the decision Mail Order Leo will continue :)