Naming Leo

Mail Order Leo

You hadn't told anyone you had ordered it. If your coworkers found out how much you had shelled out for it, they would never led you live it down. Besides, it wasn't socially acceptable yet to have a cyborg companion, even though it was getting easier to get one.

It was supposed to come today, and you were waiting in front of the door in anticipation. With every back and forth pace your thoughts bounced from excitement to nervousness to wondering if you did the right thing and all of the way back through the cycle. It was nearly four, and usually packages arrived on this route around three. You kept pacing. When you found this one online, for an exceptionally cheap price in comparison to the other, you jumped on the opportunity. With one day delivery, you couldn't say no.

You were off in your own realm of thought when the doorbell rang. You froze, turning to door slowly as it registered before dashing over and throwing it open.

“Ye-” You started to respond but stopped in surprise at the tall box that towered outside the entryway, nearly as tall as the door. You stuck your head out next to it, looking for whoever had delivered it, but no one was there. Given that your apartment was on the second floor, you were surprised there was no evidence of anyone. As a neighbor poked their head out of the door, possibly in response to the bell, you began to haul the box carefully inside. No need to have rumors flying. You managed to get it in enough to close the door, and then stood looking at it for a minute.

“I guess... I should bring it in more...” You murmured. Now that you actually had it, you were a little less sure of what to do. The box was unmarked besides your name. As you began to pull it carefully, sliding it backwards, you caught your foot on the carpet covering the floor. You scrambled to right yourself, grabbing for anything solid nearby, but your hands slid off the corner of the wall as the top began to tip and fall onto of you.

With a slam you hit the floor, the box splitting with the force of the fall and you scrunched your eyes shut as you tried to avoid banging your head. Its contents sprawled out on you, heavy and cool, and you felt something press against your lips. You open your eyes, screaming in surprise at the sight of the exact man from the photo online being only inches from your face, lips pressed against yours. You shoved him off of you, his body taking the box with it on the lower half, rolling across the floor listlessly. You gathered you're breath, looking at in in fear for a second, before walking slowly over to him. On his neck, tattooed sideways, were the numbers 037. You turned your head slightly to the side, looking at them from a different angle.

All of the sudden, the eyes of the man opened and he sat up, lower end still in the box. He looked around until his eyes met yours.

“Master identified,” he said, voice low and gentle but carrying an absolute authority. “Please name me within thirty seconds.”

“Thirty seconds?!” You screeched, already shocked at the turn of events as it was.

“29. 28. 27. 26.”

“Wait wait wait, um, a name--” What the hell would you name a perfect boyfriend? You sure as hell wasn't going to name him after her first love.

“18. 17. 16. 15.”

You panicked, looking around the room frantically for some source of inspiration.

“10. 9. 8.”

“Leo!” You screamed out finally. “I name you Leo!” The countdown silenced, the perfect lips closing on “six”. The slightly mechanical features softened into more human ones, and you were suddenly struck by how handsome he was.

“Thank you,” he said, his voice soft and soothing. A blush crawled across your cheeks.

“I-it's just your number... on the tattoo...”

He turned his head just a little to the side, as though trying to remember something.

“Designation 037?”

“Yeah,” you responded, though you were hardly paying attention to the conversation anymore. It suddenly struck you that not only was his face handsome, but so was the rest of him. Your eyes traveled down his unclothed torso slowly, taking in the formed muscles and waist. “It's just upside down. When you fell, I saw...” You trailed off quietly as your eyes went far enough to hit the edge of the box that surrounded his hips. You swallowed.

“Leo.” He rolled the word around in his mouth, becoming accustomed to the sound of it. He didn't seem to notice your reaction to him. “Leo.” He made eye contact with you, forcing you to look up; his expression was gentle. “Thank you. That was very clever.” More than his ness, the sincerity of his expression colored you pink. You opened your mouth to respond but closed it and looked away instead.

“Ah!” He started, eyes finding a clock on the wall that was nearly citing five. “You need to eat dinner, probably.” He began to pull himself out of the box, muscles in his arms flexing as he propped himself up.

“Ya!” You yelled, putting up your hands to block your eyes as he stood. From between your fingers you spotted his bare knees and scrambled to your feet.

“Hold- hold on, I'm going to find you something to wear--” You dove into your bedroom, digging though the dresser drawers frantically. Your brother had left clothes here a while back, anything would be fine.

“Here!” Triumphantly you held up a large sleeveless tank and dark wash jeans. You spun around with them in hand, only to find Leo inches behind you. You let out a screech, shocked and already jittery, and tripped backwards over the lower open drawer. Leo jumped forward as you slammed into the dresser, large hands going behind your head to keep you from injuring yourself.

“If,” he said after a moment, “you are worried about my 'ness', I am wearing garments.” He pulled his hand back and stepped away slowly, showing you the tight, low-slung shorts he was wearing. You turned your head aside.

“Still,” you responded, holding out the clothes, “put these on.”