chapter 6

Apocalypse III

Byunghee looked out across the wide field. It had been weeks and it had been his habit as he was working on the budding crops. Habit to look across the field, hoping to see that certain boy walking back to them. He still hadn't given up hope. Like Jonghyun, Minho and others, he would believe. He would keep believing. Mir will come back to them.

However, the small part of his heart kept questioning himself. Would it be enough to just believe and wait? Would it?

"It's been weeks. When will I see you again?" Byunghee whispered before drifting his eyes back to the crops and continued his work with a heavy sigh. Filled with longing and worries.

 

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

It had been weeks. Moments like this, Mir's thought were always filled with his friends whom he had left behind. Mir rested his head against the tree bark. They were almost there. Almost. East Fort was close. They had just started towards the said fort two days ago when Nickhun was finally strong enough to actually go through a long journey. But they were still making a few stops for the injured boy to rest.

Rustling sound and Mir opened his closed eyes and looked up seeing a walker staggered to him but was stopped by a rope that had trapped its legs. Mir and Nickhun had set the traps around their resting place as precautions, thanks to Nickhun's skills as the former member of defense forces. The further they were getting to the east fort, the more numbers of walkers they encountered each day, but luckily they never had to face too many at the same time.

"How are you holding up?" Mir asked, looking over Nickhun who was sitting against the tree not that far from him. It had been weeks. But, he was still concerned of the wound on the guy's chest though color had came back to the other's pale skin. 

He saw Nickhun visibly stiffened at his sudden question. He didn't blame the other though. He realized he was still a bit cold and distant toward the injured boy. It wasn't like he hated the guy or anything. He was like that towards everyone he just got to know. He knew he would warm up to the other eventually.

"Okay, I guess." Nickhun answered.

Mir nodded and pursed his lips. He closed his eyes again intending to go back to sleep but then, Nickhun asked him something. "What was it?" Mir asked as he didn't really hear it the first time.

"Where are you from?" Nickhun asked shyly as he peered towards the younger through his dark brown bangs. That question made Mir blinked in confusion. 

What was that supposed to mean? Well, if the world was anywhere near normal, he probably would have answered easily the name of his beloved hometown. But, Nickhun could probably mean where he had been before he came to the lab. Before they met.

Nickhun smiled shyly, feeling heat crept up on his cheeks. He knew it was out of sudden but he just wanted to know more about the younger and he had enough of silence between them. The younger never talk except asking him few simple questions like just now. "I know the question is weird. But, I just want to talk." He paused for a bit, thinking of how to get his point across. So, he decided to give out his information first. "I'm from Thailand."

No wonder Nickhun had that weird accent, Mir thought as he made a sound of recognition. Mir shrugged and decided just to entertain the probably bored guy. "I'm from Jangsung."

Nickhun cocked his brows. "I don't think I know that place." He revealed innocently.

"I'm not surprised." Mir muttered. "How did you get to Korea?"

Nickhun shrugged as he looked towards the younger. "I got a job here not long before the outbreak."

Mir sighed. "I'm sorry." Nickhun tilted his head in curiousity. "You are way apart from you homeland. Your family. I'm sorry for that."

Nickhun let out a small chuckle. "Don't be. I have no family to start with. Until I met her, that is." The boy's eyes drifted to distance.

Mir opened his mouth to say something but his ears perked at the sound of something from far but he couldn't really comprehend what sound was that?"Did you hear that?" Mir asked in a low voice, eyes narrowing in focus.

"What sound?" Nickhun asked with confused look but right a second later, his brows rose in recognition. "It's a heli." He said, innerly amazed at Mir's sharp hearing. "We're close to east fort." He said, reasoning the sound.

But Mir didn't relax right away when another sound got picked up by his sensitive ear. Sound of rustling and unmistaken low growling sound. Mir's head snapped around. Too dark! He tried to calm the rushing beat of his heart as he gestured for Nickhun to keep quiet. Mir narrowed his eyes and tried to focus on both of his sight and hearing. Too many! They must have been following the loud sound from the heli.

Mir tip-toed. Each steps were light as he tried not to make so much noise. He gestured to Nickhun to climbed up the tree and the older obeyed silently, face tensed with fear.

Mir turned back from Nickhun but the boy grabbed his shoulder, mouthing, 'Where are you going?'

Mir pushed off the older's hand and mouthed back in silent words. 'Just climb and stay quiet on the tree.' He ordered strictly. Mir would have climb the tree too. It was safer, but he couldn't leave Max. 

Nickhun shook his head and grabbed Mir's shoulder again. "If it is Max you worried about, let's just take off from here." He whispered.

"But, you need rest. Your wound sti-" 

"I can manage." Nickhun cut the younger off and didn't give a chance for the younger to retaliate as he drug the boy to the waiting horse.

Mir sighed, but still jumped onto Max when Nickhun kept giving him stubborn gestures. Nickhun jumped and sat behind Mir. "Ready?" Nickhun nodded, one hand clutched on the clothes over Mir's side and another grabbed a firm hold on the gun and they bolted through the darkness of the night. Away from the walkers.