chapter 28

Apocalypse III

Nickhun opened his eyes when he heard sound of gunshots. It was like he was in the middle of war with the continuous shots.

Pulling himself up from the sickbed, he wobbled out of the room, pulling with him the IV stand since it was still supplying saline in his vein and he could use the stand as his support to walk, wondering where Taecyeon had gone to. As far as he was concerned, Taecyeon promised to stay by his side until he woke up again. And... Well, he did remember he made his friend made another promise to him before he drifted to sleep again. A promise to take care of Mir for him. At least until he could stand back on his own two feet. 

Nickhun followed the sound and when he took another turn of the hallway, his eyes widened in shock. Blood were everywhere and not far from him, he saw how Siwon was aiming his gun on a stranger. 

But, what worried him was that he saw what was going to happen next. He saw Mir in Hongki hold. He saw the boy pushing Hongki off of him. Everything seemed to happen slowly as Mir went to shield the stranger from the oncoming bullet while he ran to shield Mir. Burning pain pierced his back and slowly, he slumped onto Mir's back who was hugging the stranger. The IV stand fall onto the floor in a loud clanking sound. Despite the pain, a smile made its way to his lips. He had protected Mir. At least this time, he managed to protect someone. And if he was going to die, he would die and went to meet Tiffany proudly since he had actually managed to protect someone even though he wasn't able to protect the girl he loved.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Mir was fighting to get out from the cage in his mind. He saw all the things happening but he couldn't control himself. What was this? Why did it feel like in his body, there were two different soul. One was him, the human side and one was that of a walker. And right now, the walker side was dominating.

He saw the blood oozing from Byunghee's shoulder. He saw the crytal tears falling off Byunghee's eyes. He heard those painful words and he wished he could have answered all of those.

And the next thing he knew, Seulong was bleeding to death in order to protect him and he knew Byunghee would follow that step. That just triggered something in Mir. Some strength he didn't know he possesed and he pushed through the barrier. He broke through the cage and he launched himself to Byunghee. He won't let anyone hurt his family again in his stead. He would not lose anyone again as long as he still could protect them.

But he didn't feel the pain he expected. Instead, a warm body was enveloping him from behind, leaning and slumping against him. Entrapped between Byunghee and the one who had protected him, Mir slowly turned his head and saw Nickhun smiling at him before the boy fall on the ground. Unconscious.

Another gunshot resounded and blood spluttered from Siwon's head. The gun Taecyeon used to shoot the man fall onto the floor as he slumped against the wall, losing his consciousness.

Mir choked a sob at the sight before him. Taemin, Seulong, Nickhun and all of them... He didn't knew which one should he ran to first. But, then he felt warm hand on his cheeks. When he saw Byunghee was alive. When he saw Byunghee smiling at him, he couldn't help but felt a small sense of relief. It was selfish of him, but, he was glad Byunghee wasn't one of the bloodied bodies lying on the floor. But, that didn't mean his heart wasn't broken at the sight. But, a small selfish part of him kept him aware that he would rather them than Byunghee. He was only a human after all.

Byunghee couldn't believe it. It was unbelievable that Mir had came back to live. Mir had came back to him. It was a phenomenon he couldn't explain. Well, not yet. "Welcome back." He whispered to his dongsaeng with a relief smile. He couldn't think of any better words than those. And even in the situation they were in now, Byunghee still couldn't help the smile because in all honesty, he felt relief washed over him. It was like the suffocating feeling he felt went away and he was able to breathe freely in spite of all this. This one... This one selfishness of him, he thought, maybe, just maybe was okay. This one selfishness over Mir. Maybe it could be let pass. Only this one.

"Hyung. I got shot, mind you. Stop staring at each other and help me." Mir snapped his head towards Taemin. The boy had his head lift up a bit and though he was wincing in pain, a smile still plastered on his lips.

Mir quickly scrambled to his feet but then he paused. He didn't know which to choose. Nickhun... Seulong... Taemin... They all seemed had been hurt so bad. A hand on his shoulder took the anxiousness off of him. "I'll take care of Seulong." Hongki said, already taking Seulong into his arms.

"Take care of our maknae. We need to help the others too." Byunghee ordered, gesturing towards Seohyun and Taecyeon while helping injured Nickhun up. His voice was light as he finally saw Mir was alive. It might be unbelievable. It might be his own hallucination, but he was happy either way. 

"President!" A few built and tall men came into a halt at the gory sight of Siwon's death. "They killed our president." One of the guy pointed towards the only three boys who were still concious and were about to help the others.

"Shut it you guys." All of them turn towards Taecyeon, who knows when had regained back his consciousness. The tall guy used the wall as support to help him back on his feet. He was heaving and his moves were wobbly. When he stumbled forward, one of the guy caught him by arm. "Thanks, Chansung." He said to the guy whom just as tall and buff as him.

"What has happened here?" Another guy spoke out, running to Nickhun's side, inspecting the wound. Mir remembered that guy. If he wasn't mistaken, that guy's name was Junsu. That guy had quite a unique kind of face that was easy to remember.

"President went crazy. Like literally." Taecyeon explained. His eyes drifted to Seohyun who was still unconscious and bleeding on the floor. 

Junsu followed Taecyeon's eyes and nodded in understanding. "But, what about the people here? President is already dead?" Junsu asked again, hoisting Nickhun onto his back with the help from Byunghee and ordering for another guy there to help Seohyun.

"Let's keep this as secret first. It would be chaotic. We'll think about what should we do later. These people are the priority." Taecyeon decided and all of the injured people were taken to the infirmary room.