chapter 32

Apocalypse III

"Woah..." Sanghyun breathed out as soon as he got out of the sport car. His eyes widened in amazement as he looked around the fort. The fort was like a normal city. No one would believe that beyond the tall and strong wall was the world infested with flesh-eaters. It was like he was in the different dimension. In the different world. The world before the virus spread. No wonder people were always trying to get into the fort and lived here.

"Where is he?" As soon as Joon's foot stepped on the tar road in the fort, he questioned Byunghee impatiently.

Byunghee blinked when he just realized he didn't have the answer to that question. He actually didn't know where was Mir now. He hadn't seen that boy at all after the shooting rampage by Siwon. He went back to the farmhouse without even meeting Mir. That meant that he hadn't seen the boy for almost three days already. "Let's just go to the infirmary first. Taemin is there." He dismissed. Mir probably just hanging out around the area anyway.

"Come on, then!" Key urged as he pulled Byunghee and Joon in a direction where Hongki and Junsu had walked to. He couldn't wait to see his dongsaeng back and his heart swarmed with worries knowing Taemin got injured although Byunghee had been trying to convince him that Taemin wasn't that severely injured. He has been itching to meet Taemin and probably gave the boy some half an hour worth of good scolding for running off from house without telling him.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Byunghee looked around the ward and frowned. He stepped forward to Taecyeon's bed where another guy in a white coat was adjusting the fluid that was injected into Taecyeon's vein. "Sungmin-shi." He called and the fair skin boy turned to him with his characteristic smile.

"You're back. How is your wound?" He asked, eyes trailing to Byunghee's shoulder.

Byunghee unconsciously hold his injured shoulder with his uninjured hand. "It doesn't hurt that much. Have you seen Mir?" He asked. Sungmin shook his head. "What about Seohyun?"

Sungmin tilted his head as his eyes rolled upwards. He just realized that friend of his had been missing for days. "I haven't seen her around." He mumbled. He turned to another guy in white coat who was cleaning Taemin wound timidly under the burning glare from Key. "Hey, Donghae." He called. 

The flustered boy, looked up. Poor him, having his first meet with Key when the latter was fuming over Taemin's injury. "Yea?"

"Have you seen Seohyun?" Sungmin asked.

The boy looked confused. "Now that you mention, I have been seeing her hanging out at that old laboratory."

"Really?" Sungmin squeaked. "What is she doing there?" 

Donghae shrugged, sighing in relief that he finally finished rebandaging Taemin's wound. Taking a turn around the bed so he would be taking the furtherst path from Key, he jogged towards Sungmin. "That guy is scary." He whispered, scared of being heard by Key, making both Sungmin and Byunghee to giggle.

"He can be like that sometimes." Byunghee commented.

Donghae grinned, showing his white teeth. "Oh, back to Seohyun..." He turned back to his normal voice. "I also saw Chansung has been going to that lab a few times. He has been hanging around that place a lot."

"Are they...?" Sungmin raised his brows a few times suggestively with cheesy smile.

"They what?" Donghae replied dumbly. Too naive for his own good.

"Where's the lab?" Byunghee cut in, barely stopping Sungmin who was about to pull on Donghae's ear.

"I'll take you there." Junsu came waltzing, ryegrass hanging between his teeth and he started towards the door.

Shrugging, Byunghee pulled Joon from the group surrounding Taemin's bed. "We're going to find that wandering puppy." And he smirked at the bright smile on Joon's face. It was a daily joke between him, Joon, Seungho and Sanghyun. So, of course Joon would know immediately who the puppy that Byunghee meant.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Chansung leaned on the table by his hand. He sighed and lied his cheeks on the cold table. "Stop sighing." Seohyun complained, eyes glued to her microscope. 

"How much longer will he stay that way?" The tall boy asked. Pouting. His eyes on the isolation room that was only separated by transparent glass wall and a locked metal door.

In the room was Mir, or rather a turned Mir was pacing around the room lifelessly, sometimes, the boy turned towards Chansung and Seohyun's direction, snarling at them from inside the room but had done nothing more than that. The boy had tried to break out of the room when he transformed for the first time since he was locked into isolation but ended up with bruises on his hands and shoulder. Totally, it has been four times Mir had turned including the first time during the shooting madness. These days, Mir always turned into flesh eater whenever the boy fall asleep. That was what Seohyun and Chansung noticed after the second time of turning. And apparently, they boy's human side would win again when the boy woke up from his deep sleep. And Seohyun concluded that the walker form could only dominate when Mir wasn't conscious or the boy was too exhausted to control it.

"He hasn't been sleeping last night. He's probably going to continue sleeping for long hours. So, he wouldn't be back anytime soon. Why did you ask that?" Seohyun turned, leaving her work for a while and gave the tall boy sitting beside her some attention.

"I'm bored. I came here to chat with him." Chansung complained with a deep sigh.

Seohyun raised his brows. "Don't you have any other work to do?" Chansung faked a hurt expression with an exaggerated "Ouch!" Seohyun shook her head and her eyes trailed towards Mir who was still pacing around the room.

"He seems really different from the other walkers." The guard suddenly commented, leaving his seat and walked until he was right in front of the glass wall. Mir was acting like walker. The boy really did. But, he was different. Mir was like a form of walker that has evolute. A walker with ability to think. 

"That's because he's not a walker. Walker is a living dead. But, Mir... Mir is well, living... Living?" Chansung snorted when Seohyun got tongue-tied. That was some unusual sight of the usually idealist Seohyun. But that was unavoidable since Mir's condition is yet to be fully understood, even by the female scientist.

Mir walked until he stood right in front of Chansung, baring his teeth like a vicious wolf. 

"What the hell is all this?!" All the three occupants of the lab turned to that loud voice. Seohyun and Chansung shared a shock expression. 

"Oh man..." Chansung groaned. This needed hell lots of explanation. 

Seohyun sighed, managing a glance at Mir who seemed calm but the boy carried some humanly expression on his face much to her amazement. Mir was curious...?

 

-I might not update as often. might... cuz this week kinda crazy. I need to finish my case report this week, and I've been busy with my senior's appreciation night and new junior's interview and lots of things happening. But, I'll still update when I hv time like today. But, just in case I go missing a few days, thought I'll let you guys know first-

*ps : oh god. I update this chapter since 10may, but didn't realize I hv unintentionally click on 'hide chapters'. Sorry *grin sheepishly*