chapter 13

Apocalypse III

Mir grimaced as he unwrapped the bandage from Nickhun's chest. He bit his lips and closed his eyes in frustration. "Is it that bad?" Nickhun's raspy voice brought Mir to open back his wide eyes.

"It's infected." He said in a low voice as he cleaned the almost pale yellowish sticky liquid from the wound. Nickhun just nodded as reply. Mir knew he couldn't do anything. He had no knowledge in this field. He was no medical doctor. He had no idea on what kind of antibiotics and treatment he should gave to people with infected wound.

After quite a long minute, Mir grabbed a new clean cloth and bandaged the infected wound again. "Can you walk?" He asked. Nickhun nodded and sat up from his lying position. Mir immediately put supporting hands on Nickhun's back and shoulder, helping the taller and buffer boy to get on his feet. His close proximity with the older made him aware of the heat radiating from the older's body. Looked like the other boy's fever still hadn't ceased. He had to keep his hands around the older when the older wobbled and stumbled in his steps. "Maybe you should stay with them." Mir suggested.

Nickhun shook his head stubbornly. "I want to go with you." But then, he stole a glance to the younger. "Unless, I'm becoming a burden." He tested.

Mir scoffed. "I wouldn't have taken you with me in the first place if I thought of you as burden." He answered casually, making a smile crept to the older's pale and chapped lips.

"Glad to hear that." 

Sound of shattering glasses made the two boys jumped out of their skin in pure shock. 

"Mir!" Jinwoon came running. He grabbed Nickhun's other arm and hoisted the older easily on his back. "Walkers!" He informed and ran in a direction, followed by Mir. 

"Faster!" Ravi was shouting from the outside the building they were in. The boy's palm cupped on the lockdown button at the exit that would lead to the basement parking lot. They were actually in a mall. Ravi, Seulong, Hongbin and Jinwoon agreed to accompany Mir and Nickhun to any pharmacy in search for something to reduced Nickhun's fever and to clean his infected wound since they also wanted to stock up their food supply. Everything were going quite smooth until now that is. 

Mir would have left Nickhun with the others while searching for medications but he noticed the look in Nickhun's eyes. The look of insecure. He knew Nickhun was afraid of Mir leaving him. So, Mir took the older with him, but now he was starting to question his action. Maybe he should have left Nickhun. The older would be safe then.

Mir slowed down his pace when Jinwoon was getting slower. His friend's face was flushed and sweat were dripping from his forehead. Carrying Nickhun on his back while running sure was eating at his stamina. "Go!" Mir gave a slight push to the two and took out his blade. Any walkers that came even a bit closer to them, he would kill!

Jinwoon finally reached the exit and Hongbin quickly helped Nickhun down from Jinwoon's back. "Hurry, Mir hyung!" Hongbin shouted. 

"Quite busy here!" Mir shouted back, kicking one walker that tumbled backwards onto another walker, bringing the other down with him.

Mir turned and wrapped his arm around a half decomposed walker before his blade made way into its temple.

"Mir!" Seulong shouted, worries etched on his features as he saw how the younger hadn't been able to move any closer to the exit. Too many walkers blocking the fighter's path.

"Oh no..." Ravi breathed when he saw lots more infecteds came from the lobby. It was flooded with flesh-eaters. He was about to slammed his palm flat onto the red lockdown button when Seulong's own hand shot out to grab the younger's wrist.

"What do you think you're doing?" He howled, gaining almost half of the walkers attention towards the exit which then started to limp in their direction.

"We have too!" Ravi shouted. "It's better him alone than us." He said and yanked his hand out of Seulong's grasp and he punched on the red round button in a quick move.

Seulong gasped when alarm started blaring and the light all shut down leaving only warning red light dancing through the hallway to the exit. Seeing the metal panel of security gate started to lowered down to floor, Seulong cursed under his breath. Without any extended seconds to contemplate on his decision, on what he chosed to do, he had already slid down and rolled back into the mall, followed by Nickhun whom barely made it back to the other side.

Once the metal panel secured the exit, Jinwoon and Hongbin shouted for the trapped three guys on the other sides. Seulong was fighting his way towards Mir while Nickhun trailing behind. A bit unfocused and looked weak due to his injury and fever but still could fight for himself.

"AISY!" Jinwoon cursed and slammed his hand onto the unbudging metal panel. 

"Let's go." Ravi ordered, pulling the struggling Hongbin with him. Hongbin was weak compared to him even the boy tried his hardest to push Ravi away, extending his hand in the fighting Mir's direction. Eyes glassy with unshed tears.

"How could you!" Hongbin screamed in anger, trying to push Ravi away from him. "Mir hyung!" Hongbin shouted again that name. In rush of anger and worries, he bit on Ravi's arm, succeeding himself in getting out of Ravi's hold. He ran back to the security gate separating them from the three trapped guys, pounding on the strong panel.

Mir, covered with blood suddenly latched on the metal panel right in front of Jinwoon with loud metal clanging sound, eyes widened in shock and worries, chest heaving. "Run!" He told the three guys on the other side, gaining Jinwoon's confused look. The one who was trapped in the mall with almost half hundred of walkers was Mir, not him. "I said, run!" He pushed Jinwoon away from the metal panel through the holes. And turned to the equally shocked Hongbin who was standing not far from Jinwoon. "Run. Don't turn back." He said to the boy before he turned back to face his fight, but managed to gave a small smile to the younger. Smile that said a lot but at the same time, said nothing.

Jinwoon stumbled back in confusion, but when he looked up at his back, he knew why Mir was worried for him. On the other end of the basement parking lot, were hundreds of walkers looked like a batallion of soldiers marching to him, Hongbin and Ravi.

Not having any choices, he ran, pulling Hongbin with him. Not even having any time to question of the sudden waves of infecteds attacking them, he ran. He ran with Hongbin and Ravi looking back once only to find no sign from the other trapped tree fighter. Were they lost causes? They couldn't be saved? He couldn't think anymore. At least not now. Not when even their own lives were on a very thin line of thread to the world of death.

Hongbin took one last glance towards the mall, but none of the trapped three survivors were in sight. Only walkers, and more walkers. "Mir hyung..." He whispered to himself, letting a drop of salty tear rolled off his cheek. He had so much more to say to Mir. He wanted to tell the older he never meant to hurt Mir with his words and that even when they both lost Sanghyuk, he was more than grateful that Mir was alive and came back to him. But now? He had lost his chance as he let Jinwoon pulled him out of that area. Leaving the other three in the death trap. Separating. Again.